As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cloverfield (mystery movie trailer in front of transformers)

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rob's pal in the trailer, the guy poring the drink in the picture, is wearing a Slush t-shirt.

august on
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Does slusho and the livejournal that was posted earlier have anything in common? http://ethanhaas.livejournal.com/

Because they both feature 6 cups of whatever that stuff is.

xraydog on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yes, people have been noting the link. Also, apparently 'Slusho' is also a code name for the movie now.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/11808/hd/

Edit: 0:37 in is the woman from the picture, I believe.

Edit 2: Also also, http://slusho.jp

Christ. Having read the "History" section on that website, this is starting to sound like a remake of "The Stuff."

Brian888 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Slusho is some sort of plot to take over our biology and turn us into Lovecraftian Sea monsters.

If you doubt me, read the history of slusho on that site.

Hot stuff.

august on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh, man. I haven't seen The Stuff in years. Fantastic film.

Gorak on
  • Options
    Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i sent an email in to the slusho customer feedback and instantly got this short reply:

"Slusho! loves your emails!! You Can't Drink Just Six!!!"

Seaborn111 on
    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    They sure are going overboard on the Engrish there, aren't they?

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So uh how do you finish the 5th puzzle?

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Since I'm fairly sure about the woman in the picture being one of the featured actresses in the trailer, I'm going to reiterate that her outfit does not coincide with either jewelry (on arms or chest) or a shirt, and leave it at that.

The Slusho site is veeeeery interesting.

tuxkamen on

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »
    You need to push on each button until it cycles to the letter you need. The two cycling lines up top need to be translated, rearranged, and unscrambled.
    Each one is a number, and a series of four letters. The order you need to put them in is provided in the previous video.

If you just want to know what to type in,
    THEBEGINNI
    NGISTHEEND

tuxkamen on

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    You need to push on each button until it cycles to the letter you need. The two cycling lines up top need to be translated, rearranged, and unscrambled.
    Each one is a number, and a series of four letters. The order you need to put them in is provided in the previous video.

If you just want to know what to type in,
    THEBEGINNI
    NGISTHEEND

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    And Rob's going to Japan, by the way.

I'm starting to buy the whole critter in the glass theory....

august on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The idea of this being about some sort of weird alien drink is kinda disheartening.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    SpongeCake wrote: »
    The idea of this being about some sort of weird alien drink is kinda disheartening.

What? It's obvious just PART of the horrible shit that's going down.

Giant monster? The Old Gods returning, and you don't even know if you can trust your friends while all this is going down? That's some hot shit right there.

august on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    august wrote: »

What? It's obvious just PART of the horrible shit that's going down.

Giant monster? The Old Gods returning, and you don't even know if you can trust your friends while all this is going down? That's some hot shit right there.

Cutesy Japanese drink turning people into monsters?

:|

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I don't understand: what's the problem here? It's just MORE evil. Another vector for the evil, if you will.

august on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It just seems too kitschy to me, assuming it's going to be a plot point at all.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Anyone else get an annoying throat vibration when they were on one of the Slushu pages?

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, sure it'll be real kitschy when people start bleeding out of their eyes and making makings on the walls with their own blood to call their master up from the crushing black depths of the sea.

And shit.

august on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, sure it'll be real kitschy when people start bleeding out of their eyes and making makings on the walls with their own blood to call their master up from the crushing black depths of the sea.

And shit.

But the whole premise of a soft-serve drink being evil is just fucking stupid.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    from what i gather from the trailer and the pictures and clues,
    rob was supposed to leave on the 18th so they threw him a party on the night of the 17th. as soon as midnight rolls around (now the 018th) that monster thing hatches/emerges/appears causing the power outtage and earthquake. the picture of the guy drinking is taken just AS that shit hits the fan, hence the 12:01am in the picture. in the trailer, the news shows that 40mins goes by before the explosion. the news cast says 12:36am then they head for the roof to see the first boom.

this means that those 2 girls in the picture aint lookin at shit except for being scared of an earthquake (or maybe watching the news/ or were actually watching the huge thing before the explosion but why wouldnt you take a picture of the thing instead of people's reactions)

explosion happens a lil while later on the roof, then again when they go outside on the streets.
    from all the virla crap, im gathering that aliens/a cult on the earth in secret or in hiding brought something to earth or out of it to wreck our shit up with their 'anti-monument lasers'.

ethan haas, is the one who saw it coming and went into hiding, van is the knob who read ethans stuff and didnt believe it. and the mezin are the ones who are trying to wreck ethan's shit. ancient aliens or cult...dunno yet. so van is the guy trying to rally everyone together for august. from the background of the puzzle site, im assuming we're seeing what ethan saw with the world ruined. and the tapes are tapes we're watching from a ruined future that van made when shit already got ruined.

what i cant tie in is the following
    why do the puzzles come in that grey sphere?
    i highly doubt that the Irate Savant is Rob, because he colors himself a loner, not a "maind dude", and im still figuring out if he is even connected to all this (strange people walking to the back room of his work with his even stranger boss? strange symbol's he sees in the back room? drinking weird drinks of the area he's in?"

i just read the history for slusho, and im trying to make heads or tails of it ffrom what we know so far. its probably prologue type stuff that wont be mentioned in the film so heavily but only alluded to. i mean you can only explain so much in first person camera view.

did i miss anything or am i completely off?

edit: yes, that is a slusho shirt in the picture. shit either slusho is a body snatcher type evil liquid, or some sort of ancient cure from a third party in this human v alien war (which would be completely badass) and that his buddy is actually saving his life instead of infecting him

delphinus on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain that was Teri Hatcher in the teaser.

It really really isn't.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

And shit.

But the whole premise of a soft-serve drink being evil is just fucking stupid.

eh. depends how it's presented. or even if it's a factor.

august on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm still not sure I've seen an answer to any concrete link between Ethan Haas and Cloverfield. It just seemed to pop up and everyone assumed they were related but I'm following why.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm still not sure I've seen an answer to any concrete link between Ethan Haas and Cloverfield. It just seemed to pop up and everyone assumed they were related but I'm following why.

Someone said earlier the Ethan Haas videos were being removed from youtube at Paramount's request.

xraydog on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yep. Except 1 and 5.

august on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Yeah I'd like to see a connection here, too.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    xraydog wrote: »

Someone said earlier the Ethan Haas videos were being removed from youtube at Paramount's request.

Is there some way of being certain it was Paramount and not some guy assuming it was Paramount because they've already assumed the link to Cloverfield?

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    If I remember correctly, there was a big red box saying THIS VIDEO HAS BEEN REMOVED AT THE REQUEST OF PARAMOUNT PICTURES.

You can find the videos up now, though. Guess they're letting them come through at this stage of thier master plan.

august on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Fair enough I suppose.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2007
    this is blatantly a live action remake of the digimon movie.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    robothero wrote: »

I would love you if that were true.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

That movie was awesome.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    there's no way it could be that horrifying.

august on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

That movie was three movies.

I assume he's talking about the first one, since that's the Godzilla-esque one.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    If this movie has anything to do with HP Lovecraft I will be pissed. I hope it's just a generic giant monster movie.

Any reason?

If it's a movie about a giant monster brazenly rampaging through cities it's kinda counter to Lovecraft's whole literary style. He didn't write a lot of stories about giant monsters rampaging through highly populated areas.

That's only because Armitage & company STOPPED the Dunwich Horror.

Plus, Shoggoths were confined to Antarctica, and Flying Polyps are confined to the Australian Outback; but what happens if one of them goes to mainland?

And how about that raid on the heavily populated inbred town of Innsmouth?

You're missing my point entirely. Read a Lovecraft story, it does not read like an action movie. That's my point.

What happens if one of them goes to the mainland? We have a generic monster movie featuring a Lovecraft monster, we do not have a Lovecraft story.
    Dunwhich horror is really the only story where people confront and defeat anything.

Lovecraft only briefly mentions the raid in Shadow over Innsmouth. He devotes no more than a page to it if I remember correctly. The story really has nothing to do with the raid.

Again, while action and explosions and very rarely confrontation with Lovecraft monsters do happen in Lovecraft stories that isn't the theme. The Cthulhu mythos (the ones Lovecraft wrote) are almost always some kind of historical narrative dealing with tainted lineage or newly discovered remnants of elder things and their enemies. They're about lone protagonists or sometimes small groups of people who venture into the unknown in almost always highly secluded places. They're usually told by the rest of society that they're crazy, and they usually end up that way. Humans in the Cthulhu mythos are spectators, never really competent enough to fight any of the elder gods or their adversaries. Lovecraft's horror was about the unknown and what lurks in the shadows of small towns and remote places, it's a world where humans are at the bottom of the food chain and are pretty much fucked. However, we never actually see that happen in anything large scale.

tldr a giant monster movie with a Lovecraft monster in it isn't really a Lovecraft movie in my book.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I pretty much agree with Shoggoth, and all the horrible beasts that bear his name.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Eh, I think it's a Lovecraftian apocalypses. Of course he never showed it, but his stuff does rely on the fact that it will happen, we're fucked, and when it does happen it will be so bad we can't even imagine it.

If they get that, it will be a pretty damn disturbing movie.

august on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Tekeli-li Tekeli-li!

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png