Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

What would you do with $640 Million Dollars?

1356720

Posts

  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    If I could net 5-10 million that would be nice

    enough to easily pay off any outstanding debts and with smart investment live off of returns and an enjoyable part time job

    Kwoaru on
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    I would pay off school loans for me and my sisters and pay off my parents mortgage. Give my mom enough money so she can open another restaurant. Give a fat wad of cash to my sis and her husband for their organization, take time off of work to go climbing with them and help them open their own gym. Give my pops enough money so he can retire. After that, just chill and enjoy the good life.

    pasig.jpg
    Steam | Fitocracy | XBL|PSN|WiiU|ninjafrizz| 3DS FC - 5472-7018-3542|BNET NinjaFrizz#1825
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    I would flee the country because my name would be published and there would be a million people trying to get me to invest in something.

    Most states let you set up an anonymous trust to accept the prize on your behalf.

    The correct answer is:
    1) Hire a lawyer to setup a trust and your estate. This is also handy because you can just direct anyone that asks you for money to this guy as well.
    2) Hire an accountant to make sure you pay the taxes right
    3) Hire a financial planner (or wealth management firm) to invest it all for you and live off the interest/dividends
    4) Move somewhere safe
    5) Quit your job, etc.
    6) Whatever you want

  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User regular
    I can definitely see the attraction of winning a gigantic sum and then telling people that you won a lot less! Lots of anonymous winners collecting their prizes for the Euromillions draw of late

    But if half a billion dollars thinks it has the chance at destroying my life, it's welcome to try and do a better job than the half a dollar in my account

    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    Construct a giant laser.

    That thing you're thinking of? Yes, it'll be able to do that.

  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I'd give my parents a shitload of money so they could retire in the wealth and opulence they deserve

    then I'd take the rest, buy a spooky house / mansion / castle at the top of a hill, renovate it for my simple needs, and then never go outside again

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote: »
    I can definitely see the attraction of winning a gigantic sum and then telling people that you won a lot less! Lots of anonymous winners collecting their prizes for the Euromillions draw of late

    But if half a billion dollars thinks it has the chance at destroying my life, it's welcome to try and do a better job than the half a dollar in my account

    That half a dollar is the Lil' Mac of the financial world.

    mosesupposes.gif
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    buy some land, build a nice house on it, enjoy life

    secure futures for close friends and family, donate to charities, play all the wsop events and donate winnings (if any) to charity.

    investments. travel.

    and then that still leaves assloads of cash

    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • EncEnc FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Boo all you want. It may be inconvenient to the daydream, but it is very true.

    Money doesn't solve all problems, not unless its slowly acquired over long periods of time (which solves many problems, but still not all of them). Rocketing into the 1% from nothing is a great way to end up miserable and alone (unless you pay for friends, that is).

    Enc on
    Guns make you stupid. Better to fight your wars with duct tape. Duct tape makes you smart.
    3ds Friend Code: 5043-2266-3066
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I'm going to hire a guy to follow me around all day with a semi truck and do this.

    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    What if you acquire it and nobody knows?

    What I am saying is we should knock over a casino.

    mosesupposes.gif
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    I would also organize like dozens of moneybags, like maybe $50,000 each, and hide them in remote locations while I travel around the world, and make elaborate clues and puzzles and hints and some cool maps and scatter them all over the place, like in used book stores and print advertisements and on YouTube videos and junk. Just a random world wide scavenger hunt open to anyone who wants

    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Boo all you want. It may be inconvenient to the daydream, but it is very true.

    Money doesn't solve all problems, not unless its slowly acquired over long periods of time (which solves many problems, but still not all of them). Rocketing into the 1% from nothing is a great way to end up miserable and alone (unless you pay for friends, that is).

    the friends i have now are friends with me despite the fact that i'm broke as a joke

    and i wouldn't have a problem giving that small group money

    pay for friends? fuck that shit

    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    What if you acquire it and nobody knows?

    What I am saying is we should knock over a casino.

    Three.

  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Money doesn't solve all problems-

    I dunno it'd solve all the problems I have

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • LarlarLarlar Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Enc wrote: »
    Boo all you want. It may be inconvenient to the daydream, but it is very true.

    Money doesn't solve all problems, not unless its slowly acquired over long periods of time (which solves many problems, but still not all of them). Rocketing into the 1% from nothing is a great way to end up miserable and alone (unless you pay for friends, that is).

    Money doesn't solve all problems, but it does solve the only problems I currently have.

    iwantanswers3.png
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I would buy a nice suit and a classic car.

    Drive around town with a couple of big burlap sacks full of money.

    Drive up to someone, put a sack in their hands, say "you didn't see nothin'" and drive away.

  • LarlarLarlar Moderator, ClubPA mod
    God damn it, Dichotomy.

    iwantanswers3.png
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Boo all you want. It may be inconvenient to the daydream, but it is very true.

    Money doesn't solve all problems, not unless its slowly acquired over long periods of time (which solves many problems, but still not all of them). Rocketing into the 1% from nothing is a great way to end up miserable and alone (unless you pay for friends, that is).

    the friends i have now are friends with me despite the fact that i'm broke as a joke

    and i wouldn't have a problem giving that small group money

    pay for friends? fuck that shit

    Yeah for real. This prize is big enough to where I could build a neighborhood for just me and my closest friends/immediate family and set everyone up with enough money to never have to work again.

  • GriswoldGriswold (a superset of all possible mathematics) (his body disintegrated)Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    idiot tax

    every discussion about the lottery has got to have one goose that makes this fucking comment

    it's not an original thought, it reeks of condescension, and most people who've bought lottery tickets realize that their odds of winning aren't exactly great

    i don't see anybody busting your balls for whatever stupid way you choose to waste a few bucks


  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    Of course money solves all problems.

    Except the problem of having all the money.

  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Griswold wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »
    idiot tax

    every discussion about the lottery has got to have one goose that makes this fucking comment

    it's not an original thought, it reeks of condescension, and most people who've bought lottery tickets realize that their odds of winning aren't exactly great

    i don't see anybody busting your balls for whatever stupid way you choose to waste a few bucks

    Also, at this prize level one can make a pretty convincing argument that buying a ticket (though just one...two if it rolls over again) is a statistically rational decision.

  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Larlar wrote: »
    God damn it, Dichotomy.

    money wouldn't solve the problem of me posting before you

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    It does seem a bit odd that people would go "Oh, $100 million jackpot? Pfft, the lottery is for suckers." but then "Waitaminute, $600 million? Totally worth it now! Buy all the tickets!" The chances of winning didn't go up at all.

    I'm sure that an actual person thinks that way and totally isn't a strawman.

  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'd buy a house in London, renovate it into flats/apartments and then rent the rooms out at an extortionate cost to people. Then when I get bored, kick them out and live there myself. The rest would go in the bank, because I am boring like that.

    Liiya on
    whowhosigraw_zps833557f6.jpg
  • ReginaldReginald Registered User regular
    I'd buy a ranch in Montana, and use it to rehabilitate handicapped children by teaching them horseriding. It would also have a lot of goats. The money would be invested to ensure that this ranch never goes away. Any money that is left over would be used to buy and preserve rainforest.

  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I'd buy a house in London, renovate it into flats/apartments and then rent the rooms out at an extortionate cost to people. Then when I get bored, kick them out and live there myself. The rest would go in the bank, because I am boring like that.

    It is the British way!

  • EncEnc FloridaRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Boo all you want. It may be inconvenient to the daydream, but it is very true.

    Money doesn't solve all problems, not unless its slowly acquired over long periods of time (which solves many problems, but still not all of them). Rocketing into the 1% from nothing is a great way to end up miserable and alone (unless you pay for friends, that is).

    the friends i have now are friends with me despite the fact that i'm broke as a joke

    and i wouldn't have a problem giving that small group money

    pay for friends? fuck that shit

    Being broke and having friends is easy. The expectation there is friendship for friendship's sake. When you have that kind of bonkers cash, everyone eyes you for the money. Everyone. They can't help it, it's just how people work. They don't see you as that cool guy Dead Legend, they see you as Dead Legend-the guy with the ridiculous amount of money. Maybe he can take us out to dinner, maybe he can buy us a video game, or invest in my company, or put my daughter through college....

    That happens. That's how it works. It starts small, and then everyone starts looking at you as the bank. One way or another, when you end up with that kind of wealth when the rest of your friendship community does not, you pay for your friends, either to keep them or for new ones.

    And assuming you find the small percentage of folks that arent like that, the doubt will still be there from the majority of folks who act that way. You will always doubt, from the moment you cash that check, why people are hanging out with you. Because of you? Or because of your money.

    And you will never know the truth.

    Guns make you stupid. Better to fight your wars with duct tape. Duct tape makes you smart.
    3ds Friend Code: 5043-2266-3066
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Griswold wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »
    idiot tax

    every discussion about the lottery has got to have one goose that makes this fucking comment

    it's not an original thought, it reeks of condescension, and most people who've bought lottery tickets realize that their odds of winning aren't exactly great

    i don't see anybody busting your balls for whatever stupid way you choose to waste a few bucks

    Also, at this prize level one can make a pretty convincing argument that buying a ticket (though just one...two if it rolls over again) is a statistically rational decision.

    Something something expected value.

    mosesupposes.gif
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Griswold wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »
    idiot tax

    every discussion about the lottery has got to have one goose that makes this fucking comment

    it's not an original thought, it reeks of condescension, and most people who've bought lottery tickets realize that their odds of winning aren't exactly great

    i don't see anybody busting your balls for whatever stupid way you choose to waste a few bucks

    Also, at this prize level one can make a pretty convincing argument that buying a ticket (though just one...two if it rolls over again) is a statistically rational decision.

    Something something expected value.

    Yup! I think the EV of a $1 ticket is something like $1.00001 right now or something.

  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    sure, expected value, but do I really give a shit if I lose this dollar?

    not talking about people who play it every week

    the-place-beyond-the-pines-03_thumb_zps3d4e0ec7.jpg
    360: Sir Stiggleton PSN: Stiggy_PA GFWL: RacerStig Steam: TheStig
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    Boo all you want. It may be inconvenient to the daydream, but it is very true.

    Money doesn't solve all problems, not unless its slowly acquired over long periods of time (which solves many problems, but still not all of them). Rocketing into the 1% from nothing is a great way to end up miserable and alone (unless you pay for friends, that is).

    the friends i have now are friends with me despite the fact that i'm broke as a joke

    and i wouldn't have a problem giving that small group money

    pay for friends? fuck that shit

    Being broke and having friends is easy. The expectation there is friendship for friendship's sake. When you have that kind of bonkers cash, everyone eyes you for the money. Everyone. They can't help it, it's just how people work. They don't see you as that cool guy Dead Legend, they see you as Dead Legend-the guy with the ridiculous amount of money. Maybe he can take us out to dinner, maybe he can buy us a video game, or invest in my company, or put my daughter through college....

    That happens. That's how it works. It starts small, and then everyone starts looking at you as the bank. One way or another, when you end up with that kind of wealth when the rest of your friendship community does not, you pay for your friends, either to keep them or for new ones.

    And assuming you find the small percentage of folks that arent like that, the doubt will still be there from the majority of folks who act that way. You will always doubt, from the moment you cash that check, why people are hanging out with you. Because of you? Or because of your money.

    And you will never know the truth.

    well I know who's not getting a moderately sized sack of cash

  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    I would still work, not sure how long I'd stay working my current job, but I wouldn't quit outright. I'd just enjoy the fact that my paycheck is 100% disposable income.

    Also, I'm on park avenue so my office is down the block from a Mercedes and Ferrari dealership. I would take the train in and drive home. I would convince them to let me drive it through the showroom glass, and i would hire nic cage to do it with me.

    pasig.jpg
    Steam | Fitocracy | XBL|PSN|WiiU|ninjafrizz| 3DS FC - 5472-7018-3542|BNET NinjaFrizz#1825
  • EncEnc FloridaRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    Boo all you want. It may be inconvenient to the daydream, but it is very true.

    Money doesn't solve all problems, not unless its slowly acquired over long periods of time (which solves many problems, but still not all of them). Rocketing into the 1% from nothing is a great way to end up miserable and alone (unless you pay for friends, that is).

    the friends i have now are friends with me despite the fact that i'm broke as a joke

    and i wouldn't have a problem giving that small group money

    pay for friends? fuck that shit

    Yeah for real. This prize is big enough to where I could build a neighborhood for just me and my closest friends/immediate family and set everyone up with enough money to never have to work again.

    At which point all of your friends will either:

    1) Feel compelled to be friends with you weather or not they continuously feel that way due to owing you such a huge debt
    2) Feel compelled to try and get more money out of you
    3) Both.

    Guns make you stupid. Better to fight your wars with duct tape. Duct tape makes you smart.
    3ds Friend Code: 5043-2266-3066
  • GriswoldGriswold (a superset of all possible mathematics) (his body disintegrated)Registered User regular
    Aretè wrote: »
    I would still work, not sure how long I'd stay working my current job, but I wouldn't quit outright. I'd just enjoy the fact that my paycheck is 100% disposable income.

    Also, I'm on park avenue so my office is down the block from a Mercedes and Ferrari dealership. I would take the train in and drive home. I would convince them to let me drive it through the showroom glass, and i would hire nic cage to do it with me.

    that's high praise


  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    I wouldn't.

    That kind of money brings more problems that solutions of acquired quickly.

    Suddenly every friend and relative you have ever known is now called into suspect for their support of you. Politics will emerge from your immediate circles, whether you like it or not, as people curry for favors. Yes, you have all of that money, but unless you make friends of equivalent wealth, hide it from everyone you know, or piss it all away immediately you will never have lasting or authentic relationships from then on. And even when you do, should you be so lucky, you will be haunted by the specter that those closest to you may, in fact, just be in it for your wealth.

    It's better to win something smaller, like 10-20k, than one of these huge prizes. That kind of money doesn't destroy lives. Look up the lottery winners fates over the years, a disproportionately large amount have overdosed on drugs, committed suicide, or were murdered.

    With 640 mil you could probably just throw some cash at all of your friends and relatives, regardless of their motives, and still be fine.

    Personally, I'm secure in my selected friends already, and they're likely confident in their understandings of who I am as a person, so I don't foresee a lot of insincerity there. And I'd probably find parasitic economic interaction with my extended family easier than the limited social interaction I have right now. I'd probably look to make a career out of investing in philanthropic, artistic, and culinary endeavors, rather than trying to fill my time with just spending the money on myself.

    1LRdqui.png
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    i'd stop buying off brand cereal

    frosted flakes, here i come

  • LarlarLarlar Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Larlar wrote: »
    God damn it, Dichotomy.

    money wouldn't solve the problem of me posting before you

    Thankfully I don't need money to solve that particular problem.

    iwantanswers3.png
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    sure, expected value, but do I really give a shit if I lose this dollar?

    not talking about people who play it every week

    Yeah that too. The people who play when it's like, $20 Mil or whatever it starts at, are pretty dumb. Spending like $1 a year on a ticket when it gets over $400MM isn't that dumb.

  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    Boo all you want. It may be inconvenient to the daydream, but it is very true.

    Money doesn't solve all problems, not unless its slowly acquired over long periods of time (which solves many problems, but still not all of them). Rocketing into the 1% from nothing is a great way to end up miserable and alone (unless you pay for friends, that is).

    the friends i have now are friends with me despite the fact that i'm broke as a joke

    and i wouldn't have a problem giving that small group money

    pay for friends? fuck that shit

    Being broke and having friends is easy. The expectation there is friendship for friendship's sake. When you have that kind of bonkers cash, everyone eyes you for the money. Everyone. They can't help it, it's just how people work. They don't see you as that cool guy Dead Legend, they see you as Dead Legend-the guy with the ridiculous amount of money. Maybe he can take us out to dinner, maybe he can buy us a video game, or invest in my company, or put my daughter through college....

    That happens. That's how it works. It starts small, and then everyone starts looking at you as the bank. One way or another, when you end up with that kind of wealth when the rest of your friendship community does not, you pay for your friends, either to keep them or for new ones.

    And assuming you find the small percentage of folks that arent like that, the doubt will still be there from the majority of folks who act that way. You will always doubt, from the moment you cash that check, why people are hanging out with you. Because of you? Or because of your money.

    And you will never know the truth.

    So make sure nobody knows about the money ever? I think that would solve that particular problem.

    mosesupposes.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.