As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

• HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Also Lightning Ronove. Admittedly I'm grinding my way through the campaigns right now but it would be nice to have you fine people to chat with.

• GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    Both of you have been invited.

• steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Rawwwk, 25 HoM....

Guess I'll get on some other day and see If I can swing a Vabbian set with whatever cash I have just for a bonus 2 points and start on NM Winds of Change. Otherwise, I think I'm done with GW1. Whee.

Joko's Domain was a *pain* to Vanquish.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Is it just me, or is this thing pretty quest-sparse? Like, I'll round up a good dozen, do them, and then have one or two in my log for a good few hours. I just finished dragging that chick through the dig site, carrying stone tablets around and such. Am I just before a major hub or something?

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Geod wrote: »
    Madpoet wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Wait, how do you get free tournament points.

only available to people who bought GW after they disabled the monthly tournament system
    talk to tolkano in great temple and he gives them to you

Gonna assume that since I had prophecies since launch I don't count. That stinks.

it's worth a shot :P
    might give them to anyone who never participated in the monthly tournaments

It should work. I've had Prophecies since launch, and I didn't have any problem getting the points. I think it's as long as you didn't register previously for the tournament system.

Aw, tried this last night. Got zero points for registering. I had pvped at launch, but had never registered for the tournament.

Did you talk to High Priest Zhang?

Woo, 60k get! thanks.
    Funny, had instant tells at 60k, but at 70k I got instant "OMG NOOB THATS 7k EA LOL"

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is this thing pretty quest-sparse? Like, I'll round up a good dozen, do them, and then have one or two in my log for a good few hours. I just finished dragging that chick through the dig site, carrying stone tablets around and such. Am I just before a major hub or something?

The game doesn't really deal with hubs as such. There are a lot of quests and you'll get to max level in 20 hours, but don't expect a city with 10 NPCs with exclamation marks above their head. The best thing to do is to explore a little. There's a deed for mapping out the whole continent anyway. You will run into plenty of quests along the way while doing that.

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Don't forget to snoop around Embark Beach today in light of the date.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Wait, how do you get free tournament points.

only available to people who bought GW after they disabled the monthly tournament system
    talk to tolkano in great temple and he gives them to you

Gonna assume that since I had prophecies since launch I don't count. That stinks.

it's worth a shot :P
    might give them to anyone who never participated in the monthly tournaments

It should work. I've had Prophecies since launch, and I didn't have any problem getting the points. I think it's as long as you didn't register previously for the tournament system.

Aw, tried this last night. Got zero points for registering. I had pvped at launch, but had never registered for the tournament.

Did you talk to High Priest Zhang?

Woo, 60k get! thanks.
    Funny, had instant tells at 60k, but at 70k I got instant "OMG NOOB THATS 7k EA LOL"

Not getting a bite at 60k. Must be the time of the day or something.

edit: I sold for 5.5k a piece. Not terrible.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Guild Wars April 1 Missions = A++, would terminate again. Better than Winds of Change!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Oh lawd, magic damage now based on friendship levels.

• TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Corporal Bane missions were pretty good. They're repeatable, too, if you're still trying to max out the Vanguard title.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
    I ragequited again today. Thanks for the kind words in guildchat. Next time I'll need someone's help to complete this. I'm so very frustrated with the game right now. It's just cheating with handing you a mission of over an hour and make the last boss a double pull with a lot of ranged mobs.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    That sucks, Aldo, wiping at the end is always the most frustrating.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    edited April 2012
    This game has really unexpected difficulty spikes.
    Unless you spam spirits/minions, then it's always easy forever. I'm never going to use my Warrior ever again.

Huggles on
    Huggles wrote: »
    This game has really unexpected difficulty spikes.
    Unless you spam spirits/minions, then it's always easy forever. I'm never going to use my Warrior ever again.

Man, stop making Factions sound so damned attractive.

Or maybe I should roll necromancer, they can spam minions too, right?

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    i've been bragging about how good my cookie cutter rit build is all day in guild chat, made like 100k soloing the uw :P

It feels so dirty and unoriginal. But it works so well! Just need to farm faction until I can acquire Summon Souls then I will be unstoppable! Mwahahaha...

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I started plotting out my hom points to try and make 30. Hoo boy there is such a massssssssive spike in difficulty after 20. Gotta hurry up and finish nightfall so I can buy factions and begin building my op hero team. Then farming for armor money and hero armor upgrades...

Destroyer weapon get. It wasn't too terrible to do but I did sell a lot of the crap I had sitting in storage to do it.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    i've been bragging about how good my cookie cutter rit build is all day in guild chat, made like 100k soloing the uw :P

If I wasn't worried about burnout, I might roll a rit alt specifically to farm underworld to feed my main the cash I need to fuel more HoM points. They're just so, so, so much better than every other class in the game. (Which continues to worry me just slightly about GW2, since they haven't shown much talent for balancing classes so far.)

What is this I don't even.
    edited April 2012

If I wasn't worried about burnout, I might roll a rit alt specifically to farm underworld to feed my main the cash I need to fuel more HoM points. They're just so, so, so much better than every other class in the game. (Which continues to worry me just slightly about GW2, since they haven't shown much talent for balancing classes so far.)

I think I am going to dust off the old rit I have for said endevour. He's 20 and has most of the skills I'd need already. After a day of running "Crazy Entaru's wholesale liquidations" I need another source of income.

Edit: I'm not too terribly worried about gw2 because what happened with gw1 was really that the skill base became to large for a group of humans to rightfully balance so at some point they just gave up on PvE balance. That's part of what the new game is designed to combat.

Seidkona on
    They're still pretty squishy.

Though with a decent hero build carrying you through most of the game, that shouldn't really be a problem I suppose.

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    yeah pvp is still quite balanced in GW1

Yeaaaah 27 HoM points!

I think the last three will be relatively easy, actually. Shouldn't take too too much time.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Annnnd I would have had another one if I didn't miss the minimize button and hit x instead. 8-)

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Why not just alt-tab? Same function as the minimize button, less chance for INCREDIBLE FATAL DISASTER OMG.

I had my gw in window mode and went to maximize it again.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    28 points, just need 1 weapon now to put me at 30. And that means doing war in kryta.

Got 250k in about 5 hours of play. Vabbian armor, bought.

Draygo on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    So I've been infected with the GW2 fever. And naturally I want all the goodies that come with playing the original game, HOWEVER

I've never played it, and from what I gather it would take a fuckton amount of time to go from 0 to 30 HoM points.

Is this true?
    Can I find the full set for cheaper than $40? (this is on amazon)

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    It will take quite a bit of time but you can get a lot of points just finishing each campaign, and guild wars beyond quests.

Why not just alt-tab? Same function as the minimize button, less chance for INCREDIBLE FATAL DISASTER OMG.

Alt-tab makes the whole game lag like hell for me. Like, unplayably so.

So I've been infected with the GW2 fever. And naturally I want all the goodies that come with playing the original game, HOWEVER

I've never played it, and from what I gather it would take a fuckton amount of time to go from 0 to 30 HoM points.

Is this true?
    Can I find the full set for cheaper than $40? (this is on amazon)

I found the full set for $30 at gamestop, but I've never heard reports of anyone else accomplishing it. I got to about 25 points in twoish months.

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

This. Although if I do it, and then experiment with minimizing/re-maximizing I usually can get it to return to normal.

96058.png?1619393207
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »

This. Although if I do it, and then experiment with minimizing/re-maximizing I usually can get it to return to normal.

Yea

changing zones also tends to fix it.

it's a pain in the rear end, though.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Bethryn's Pretty Big Guide to Hall of Monuments points
    This should give you a basic idea of what you can aim to achieve in a reasonable amount of time - say, a month - depending on what campaigns you own and so on. It's a basic "how to get 30 points" guide with some economics thrown in to help you get the necessary money.

Resources
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page - Guild Wars Wiki, gives you information on enemy locations, advice on how to complete missions and what skills you might need to bring, what you can salvage from what, and a lot of other stuff.
    http://www.gwpvx.com/PvX_wiki - PvX Wiki, a source for working builds for all characters in both PvE and PvP; also contains hero builds, including the popular "7 hero support team"
    http://argos-soft.net/GwEstimator/ - The Argos GWEstimator is basically a price check on various items you'll need for crafting, and money-making
    http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=welcome - this lets you know how far you've got to go and what you've got thus far for HoM points and rewards

--x--

Campaigns
    Owning all the campaigns helps speed things along a ways, but isn't completely necessary. All campaigns provide access to Obsidian armour, which is not remotely recommended for HoM points.

Prophecies provides the Sorrow's Furnace mission which is good for a title, but is the longest campaign and has no heroes included (but 1 in WiK). It includes War In Kryta and Hearts of the North free campaigns, which are very profitable both in terms of money and HoM points.
    Armour: 6 armours for all classes.

Factions provides Ritualist skills (very useful for good hero builds), a fair amount of money, and the Winds of Change free campaign which while long and at times difficult, is profitable. It has no heroes in the main campaign but two in WoC, and is quite quick and easy to complete.
    Armour: 2-3 armours for all pre-Nightfall classes, 2 extra armours for Ritualists or Assassins.

Nightfall provides a lot of heroes, a lot of money, but no free campaign at this point. Its main hub, Kamadan, is the trading city of choice in Guild Wars, which is very useful; you can still buy/sell in EotN, but not as easily.
    Armour: 4 armours for all classes.

Eye of the North is necessary to actually receive HoM rewards, and provides a lot of heroes and a lot of money.
    Armour: 3 armours for all classes, 1 extra armour for Warriors.

--x--

Money
    There are a few basic rules to being profitable from just playing the game.
    1) Identifying. Use basic Identification Kits (the 100g ones), and identify anything worth more than 16g to a merchant unless you're going to salvage it. This improves the value of the item.

2) Salvage. Salvage anything that has iron, feathers, granite or plant fibers. You can find out what has them in using GWW, e.g. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Category:Contains_granite for Granite. Normal Salvage kits can't give rare salvage, so it's worth getting Expert's Salvage Kits. If you have Nightfall or Factions, you can get Superior Salvage Kits for 5 quest reward items (do not use Trade Contracts for this).

3) Tournament points. Each account is entitled to 50 free Tournament points. To access these, you need to reach a certain area (Lion's Arch, Kaineng Center, Kamadan having completed the Istan portion of the campaign), travel to Isle of Balthazar, talk to Tolkano and register your account, then talk to High Priest Zhang for 50 Tournament points. You can then turn these in to Tolkano for 10 Zaishen Keys, each of which sells for 5.7-6k.

4) Rares. These are the gold coloured items that drop occasionally. 7 unidentified rares can be sold to players for 5k without much trouble. You can also sell them for 700 each if you really want to.

5) Zaishen quests. These are your 'daily' quests, 3 available from Embark Beach, 1 more from Isle of Balthazar. The Zaishen Mission and Bounty are usually a good source of quick 'free' gold; Zaishen Vanquish is tougher until you're all kitted out with good heroes, and Zaishen Combat requires PvPing.

6) War in Kryta + Hearts of the North. These two campaigns give you a lot of money. Between the two of them, you should be able to get 15 Medals of Honor, 23 Royal Gifts and almost 125 War Supplies (which you can turn into 5 more Medals of Honor). 10 Medals of Honor turn into an Oppressor Weapon, which players will buy for 90-100k. Rather than buy a particular weapon and try to sell it, it's better to hold onto your Medals and ask your buyer what weapon they want (since you can't trade Medals of Honor). Keep 10 Medals for your own Oppressor Weapon, obviously. Royal gifts sell for 5k each; that's 115k. So you've made 215k and a point in the HoM just for doing these campaigns, which are both pretty short!

7) Winds of Change. This campaign is much harder and longer, but also provides some very worthwhile rewards. Rubies and Sapphires are worth 8-8.5k each, and are used for crafting Vabbian armour for players with Nightfall.

8) Trade Contracts. If you own Nightfall, you will get Trade Contracts for completing quests in Vabbi. 7 of these can be turned into a Ruby or Sapphire, and there are 27 total; you can buy the last one from other players for 700-900g.

9) Farming. It's possible to solo some of the Underworld for 'ectos' (which are worth 8-8.5k each) as a Ritualist and some other classes too. Serafina Pekalla in the guild can hook you up with his build, which he's been making unnecessary levels of profit with. There are other ways to farm and make money (Feathers can be farmed by repeating one mission in Winds of Change, for example), but most are fairly tedious. I haven't done any serious farming myself, just completed the main campaigns and EotN, and ended at around 500k in cash.

10) Dungeons. In EotN there are dungeons and when you complete them a chest spawns. Some of the items unique to those chests are worth a lot of money; check them on Argos. Also, remember to bring Light of Deldrimor and spam it; rare crafting materials can drop from the hidden treasures that spawn, and that could be a free Ruby or better!

11) Runes/Inscriptions. Occasionally you'll get a magic item with a rune/inscription that's definitely worth salvaging. Since we're not identifying rares, runes/insignias will only be on salvage armours, but inscriptions can be good on anything. Here's a list of stuff you should salvage:
    Runes/Insignias:
    Sentinel Insignia [Warrior]
    Minor Strength
    Minor Divine Favor
    Minor Soul Reaping
    Minor Fast Casting
    Minor Inspiration Magic
    Minor Energy Storage
    Nightstalker's Insignia [Assassin]
    Minor Dagger Mastery
    Shaman's Insignia [Ritualist]
    Minor Restoration Magic
    Minor Communing
    Minor Spawning Power
    Windwalker Insignia [Dervish]
    Minor Mysticism
    Minor Scythe Mastery
    Centurion's Insignia [Paragon]
    Survivor Insignia
    Blessed Insignia
    Minor Vigor
    Vitae
    Attunement
    Major Vigor

Mods
    Poison + 33% bowstring

Strength & Honor: Damage +15% while health above 50%
    I have the power!: Energy +5
    Aptitude not Attitude: -20% casting time on spells of attribute
    I Can See Clearly Now: -20% Blind duration
    Forget Me Not: -20% recharge time on spells of attribute

*Measure for Measure: Highly Salvageable. Take these off items you don't want salvage from, and stick them on blues/purples with an empty inscription slot [Nightfall/EotN only] that give good salvage (i.e. Granite, Iron).

--x--

HoM points
    Here's where we get the nitty-gritty. Depending on what campaigns you own, certain goals are reasonable. If you're prepared to farm, you can get 30 points just by paying for most of them.

Devotion/Miniatures
    Costs: 130kish for 5 points

Make sure you are buying undedicated mini-pets; "unded" in trade channel. When buying, hover over the item offered to make sure you can't see the phrase "Dedicated at the Hall of Monuments".
    All campaigns can get these by buying them from other players.
    You want 1 rare (Rurik/Shiro/Lich/Water Djinn) from Year 1 or 2 for around 20-30k
    18-19 commons. There are 8 commons from each year, 1-4k for year 1, 5-10k for year 2/3, 10k+ for year 4-5.
    If you own all three campaigns, you can get the Unique Black Moa Chick mini-pet. If not, you can buy them for 50k+.

Fellowship/Companions
    Points: 6 points easily, 8 points easily for Nightfall, 9 points easily for all three campaigns.
    Costs: free if you do the challenges yourself, 5k per armour piece if you don't (125k total)

Dedicating pets requires they be level 20, which is no problem mostly. Dedicating Heroes requires they are wearing an upgraded hero armour piece, which means completing missions in either Nightfall or EotN. Miku, Keiran Thackery and Initiate Zei Ri can't be dedicated for this reason. You can buy these pieces for around 5k (25 pieces required total).
    A profession changer can give you the Ranger secondary spec for 500g, which includes the Tame Companion skill. You can use this skill to tame the Black Widow in the Underworld (all campaigns) and the Black Moa and Phoenix in Factions. Dedicating one of these pets provides both its statue and the Animal Companion statue, i.e. 2 dedications and 2 points.

Honor/Titles
    Points: 3 freely, 5 more easily, 1-4 more at medium difficulty, 6 more very expensively
    Costs: free for most titles you'll be aiming at, very expensive for the ones you won't!

Completing a campaign provides 1 title, as does completing all its mission bonuses. Prophecies also includes Sorrow's Furnace which can be easily completed for another title.
    2 titles per campaign + Sorrow's Furnace = 7 titles (you need 5 for 5 HoM points).
    To reach 10 titles, you can get 2 more points by completing the Underworld (medium) and Fissure of Woe (easy with good heroes). The easiest last titles to get are probably either Lightbringer or Sunspear. The other three Eternal Conqueror (The Deep, Urgoz' Warren or Domain of Anguish) are possibilities too, but will require a good group to complete and aren't really doable with just you and heroes.
    Legendary Survivor is a possibility if you have a very strong tolerance for repetition; see Kilroy Stonekin.

Resilience/Armour
    Points: 4 points easily, 3 more points somewhat expensively, 1 more point super-expensively
    Costs: varies by armour, probably around 200-300k total the 'easy' way.

You do not need the headgear to dedicate armour.
    Deldrimor armour cannot be dedicated.

Asuran, Monument and Norn armour costs less gold to craft, but requires reputation with those factions (and sometimes weird crafting materials which make them less desirable).
    You'll want to look up the costs of crafting armour on the wiki and decide which armours to go for based on their crafting materials.
    Kurzick/Luxon armour costs 70k for Jadeite Shards/Amber Chunks on top of normal crafting materials.
    Vabbian armour costs 224k for the Rubies and Sapphires on top of normal crafting materials.

Valor/Weapons
    The Oppressor weapon is easily gotten through WiK. Otherwise, they're 90-100k (you can try buying 250 War Supplies for 350 each to lower the cost, but this can take a while).
    The Destroyer weapon can be easily gotten once you complete EotN. 10 Diamonds = 50-55k, 10 Onyx = 10k, Granite Stack = 13-14k, 100 iron = 3k, +5k crafting = 81-87k.
    The Tormented weapon is very expensive;200k, which means 24e (since you can't trade more than 100k; e means ecto i.e. ectoplasm rare material, 1 ecto = 8-8.5k).

Oppressor + Destroyer = 3 points, more than that will cost you. If you're going for 30 points, you'll want to work out what's cheaper: Destroyer weapons or your armour sets. Usually, it's armour sets.

--x--

Points totals!
    Low-hanging fruits only by campaign:
    If you only go for the easy stuff to get, here's a rough average of what you can expect:
    Prophecies only: 26 points (5/6/8/4/3)
    Factions only: 23 points (5/6/5/4/3)
    Nightfall only: 27 points (5/7/8/4/3)
    If you have two campaigns, you should be able to hit 27 easily, and pick up the last few points from armour or weapons.

Getting your goals in order and knowing what you're aiming for and how reasonable it is to complete it in a given time frame is the key here. I would say most people should be able to make 30 points in the HoM in about a month and a half of 1-2 hours a day, provided you don't have too much trouble with the campaigns.

--x--

Campaign Order Addendum

In my personal opinion, do:
    EITHER: Nightfall up until you can go to EotN, getting as many heroes as possible on the way.
    OR: Factions if you're going to be a Ritualist, up until you can go to EotN.

Go do a bit of EotN, though the final battle might be too hard for you. Make sure you go to Gunnar's Hold and enter Magni the Bison's fighting tournament (100g per attempt). Look up builds that can get to to round 3+, and pick up Xandra (it's a random chance whether you fight her or not, but once you beat her you have a Ritualist in your party). Make sure you do the Asuran quest up to Finding the Bloodstone to get Livia.

EITHER: finish Nightfall for more heroes, then do Zaishen quests or PvP until you can unlock elites.
    OR: if you're a Ritualist, do enough of/finish Factions for Signet of Spirits, Soul Twisting and Signet of Ghostly Might elite skills, then head off to Nightfall for more heroes.

Your aim now is to build the skills necessary for 7 hero support, which will make all PvE from that point onward fairly easy. You can get the elite skills via Balthazar faction (Zaishen quests give you silver Z coins which turn into 1k Balthazar for 2; 3k = an elite), PvPing or skill-hunting yourself (profession change if necessary).

Once you've got the set-up, do anything else left to do in whatever order you want!

Hope this has been helpful, any criticism, extra tips and other feedback, put @Bethryn in the response so I see it!

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    edited April 2012
    That guide is a bit out of date on costing. Vabbian armor requires 14 rubies and sapphires, which are selling for about 8 plat each right now. Cost on Vabbian armor's gemstone requirement alone is more around 300k right now, rather than the 112k listed. @Bethryn

Darkewolfe on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You don't need the helmet, but somehow I cocked up the calculations and did half the price; it's 224k, not 112k. Cheers.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Thanks, that is helpful in that I dont have to go running all over the wiki over and over till I memorize it. Its a lot of info to force yourself to learn 4 campaigns worth of content in a month. Now I have a nice little place to refer to alll in one page.

Oddly enough I did exactly what the guide recommends for progression early. Started nightfall for heroes went to eotn asap rushed to the tourney asap and made it to the final fight on my own 2 out of 3 times before getting all the heroes from it, mainly xandra. I woulda made it through 3 times but I ran into dwayna form melonni without an enchant removal and the fight was never going to end :(. However if you dont have factions there isnt much you can do with her. im using the nighhtfall heros anyway to make sure they hit 20 first. I plan on buying factions very soon anyway (tonight prolly) so that wont be an issue anymore.

Best way to get balth faction is to do the training arena twice a day a you make your way through the campaigns. You can get 2k daily from this. That should get you those elites btu the time you finish the campaigns unless you rush through them like crazy.

those areas for farming are good though. I plan on seeing how far I can get soloing this shizz.

Note: You can buy skills for your heroes for expansions you don't have using hero skill points. There's a bunch of Nightfall guys who train those, plus a guy in the HoM/