As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forming a More Perfect Union

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/stop-government-snooping#petition

No idea if this will achieve anything, but I went ahead and signed it.

vOv

If I was head of the government, the first people I would snoop on with my secret snooping laws would be the people who signed up for that petition.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    yeah, I don't think they're wrong in their projections, but I think they're delusional if they don't think the world (mainly china and russia) wouldn't react in some significant way.

they would probably do something like this before the American election, though.

what are you worried Russia and China will do exactly in the event of an Israeli or American strike on Iranian nuclear facilities?

also I have something for you guys

it's not really a present

from the comments
    This just in ... anal froth is suing Dan Savage for slander

heh

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    Ubik wrote: »
    if anyone could get legit Jesus as a running mate i think i'd have to vote for 'em regardless
    would you settle for a non-union facsimile of Jesus? perhaps just a latin guy named Jesús?

no way dogg none of that knock off stuff i only vote for legit historical figures somehow brought into the modern day

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/04/us/politics/obama-attacks-house-gop-budget.html?smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

Pretty harsh words about a budget that is likely almost identical to the one he'll have to sign in 2013.

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    i know i'm probably not focusing on the right thing but does anyone else think it's weird when people write "Mr. Obama"?

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    Yeah I've thought the same thing several times in the past

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Well, people are supposed to refer to him as Mr. President so it probably comes outta that.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    I think it depends on who it is.

Wasn't there one of those right-wing-outrage movements that was trying to make him seem illegitimate by not referring to him as Mr President or President Obama?

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    LTM wrote: »

Wasn't there one of those right-wing-outrage movements that was trying to make him seem illegitimate by not referring to him as Mr President or President Obama?

barack hussein obama

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Pretty sure Israel wouldn't need our help killin Ay-rabs.

• Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    Hey no lie, fuck Iran's authoritarian government.

But if we put troops in Iran I am going to be fucking enraged like never before.

War with Iran is quite possibly the dumbest possible thing.

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    isreal can fight the wars

leave us to do what we do best

sniping somalians from the deck of the USS Enterprise

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Obama has an easy out if Israel attacks.

"Our alliance formed when Israel was a fragile state in a hostile area. Our alliance is still strong, but their military can fight this war on its own if Israel's sovereign government sees it as the right course of action."

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    LTM wrote: »

yeah this is basically what it is

it's just "not my president!" bullshit

• Options
    i think that author gets a pass because he was a foreign correspondent for a while and i think European countries refer to all their politicians like that but NYT editorial shoulda maybe corrected it

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/04/us/politics/obama-attacks-house-gop-budget.html?smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

Pretty harsh words about a budget that is likely almost identical to the one he'll have to sign in 2013.

hah

the Democrats might be spineless, but they're not that spineless

Paul's budget is crazytown

even crazier than the President's proposed budget from his SotU this year

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Ubik wrote: »
    i think that author gets a pass because he was a foreign correspondent for a while and i think European countries refer to all their politicians like that but NYT editorial shoulda maybe corrected it

oh aight

• Options

hah

yuuuup, well. it passed the house with breathing room, and the GOP will threaten the senate in a serious way this year, and they don't need 60 votes to pass that budget, I bet

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »
    Well, people are supposed to refer to him as Mr. President so it probably comes outta that.

In person yes but it is widely practiced in journalism to refer the president at Mr. [last name] in an article.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    i guess i don't read enough journalism

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    I'm only 24 minutes into this but it is absolutely excellent

http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/12265

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Basically Mr. Obama is the way you do it after beginning with president obama

• Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    yuuuup, well. it passed the house with breathing room, and the GOP will threaten the senate in a serious way this year, and they don't need 60 votes to pass that budget, I bet

Jasconius in one of the last political threads we had you said the Ryan budget had some really good points to it, you wanted to see something like it passed soon, and you said Ryan and Mitt Romney really care for America.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    9lmVv.jpg
    40OaF.jpg

• Options
    dbrock270 wrote: »

Jasconius in one of the last political threads we had you said the Ryan budget had some really good points to it, you wanted to see something like it passed soon, and you said Ryan and Mitt Romney really care for America.

Well they do

And something like that budget will pass eventually.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    9lmVv.jpg
    40OaF.jpg

iHKN2.png

• Options

hah

actually they'll need 66 votes to get it across Obama's desk

• Options
    dbrock270 wrote: »

Well they do

And something like that budget will pass eventually.

OrlyTaitzOwl.jpg

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    either imgur just tanked or somebody deleted those pics

• Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Jihad letter picture thing.

Classy.

Dronus86 on
    Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Why does the orly owl have a wig?

• Options
    They don't have to veto proof the budget for Obama to sign it.

Because these plans include massive tax rewrites and program changes, it's not just a one year thing. It's something that impacts a lot of future budgets.

So assuming Obama is re-elected, he will have to choose between signing a Republican budget, or risking them cleaning house in 2016 and running something more likely severe with ease.

Or he can be the guy who went 6+ years doing piecemeal appropriations

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    Why does the orly owl have a wig?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orly_taitz

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    imgur tanked

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    9lmVv.jpg
    40OaF.jpg

When I was working as a Congressional Intern last semester I got several calls from confused elderly people who had received letters from the American Justice Association alleging that the United Nations was going to tax their social security.

Happily, all of the calls were more along the lines of "Wait, that doesn't sound possible, is this true?" than just blindly complaining about the new world order, and they were open to my explanations that, no, this is not in fact true (and if it turned out to be true, the Congressman would not support it).

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    either imgur just tanked or somebody deleted those pics

It's been up and down the last few days.

• Options
    edited April 2012

Because these plans include massive tax rewrites and program changes, it's not just a one year thing. It's something that impacts a lot of future budgets.

So assuming Obama is re-elected, he will have to choose between signing a Republican budget, or risking them cleaning house in 2016 and running something more likely severe with ease.

assuming the American people are actually dumb enough to mistake "something like" the Ryan budget for anything other than what it is: a totally non-serious "deficit reduction" proposal that doesn't reduce the deficit and serves only as a vehicle for advancing the most odious of right-wing policies that could never survive as individual proposals

edit: Obama just called the Ryan "plan" a "prescription for decline" and "thinly veiled social darwinism"

you think he's going to sign anything like that?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I was gonna say, posing those two options as the only two options is a rather dubious idea.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options

assuming the American people are actually dumb enough to mistake "something like" the Ryan budget for anything other than what it is: a totally non-serious "deficit reduction" proposal that doesn't reduce the deficit and serves only as a vehicle for advancing the most odious of right-wing policies that could never survive as individual proposals

are you sure

because a lot of people don't really see it that way

I'm sure at least few of them are nice people

This discussion has been closed.