Options

How I Met Your Mother Season 9: A factual statement is that the series finale sucked.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    What they really need to do is give us Vengeance on Stella. That was the point when the show broke, when they decided that her fundamentally greedy and flat out evil decision was actually Teds fault and that he needed to atone for his sins. After that point there was no direction for the show to go on it's primary course since there was no way to make us believe that. And then they keep digging them deeper by showing how great her life is going.

They need an episode where she shows up at Teds door (after the gang reads a news article saying how she and her husband lost all her money and are divorced again), begs for forgiveness and he slams to door in her face and breathes a sigh of relief. Then you cut away to the kids and say, "And that kids, ends the period of my life where I was too weird to meet your mother. Things get better from now on, you'll see". You could do it in the same episode as Barneys wedding to give us something good to end the season on.

Hmmm? When did this happen?

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    What they really need to do is give us Vengeance on Stella. That was the point when the show broke, when they decided that her fundamentally greedy and flat out evil decision was actually Teds fault and that he needed to atone for his sins. After that point there was no direction for the show to go on it's primary course since there was no way to make us believe that. And then they keep digging them deeper by showing how great her life is going.

They need an episode where she shows up at Teds door (after the gang reads a news article saying how she and her husband lost all her money and are divorced again), begs for forgiveness and he slams to door in her face and breathes a sigh of relief. Then you cut away to the kids and say, "And that kids, ends the period of my life where I was too weird to meet your mother. Things get better from now on, you'll see". You could do it in the same episode as Barneys wedding to give us something good to end the season on.

Remember the episode when we got teased with vengeance, he was really sad and saw her and we got the imagined scene when he went up to her and chewed her out for being such a 'mean person' and then it cut back to reality and he was all 'I realize it was my fault, look how happy they are. I shouldn't interfere'. It wasn't his fault, he darn well should interfere and get angry about it.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    mnihil wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote:
    They need an episode where she shows up at Teds door (after the gang reads a news article saying how she and her husband lost all her money and are divorced again), begs for forgiveness and he slams to door in her face and breathes a sigh of relief.

That will never happen because they did their, innocuous, borderline casual, version of that at the end of Season 4, I think, where Ted opted out of his "evil" speech upon seeing Stella's happiness. Sure, Stella deserved much worse than her happy ending, and Ted better than what he got from the moment he entered the relationship in the first place. But I don't dwell on that story, I don't need those characters back in any capacity.

But the more I think about HIMYM, especially its current state, the less I want to think about it. Only thing I wonder is why it's still getting fine to good reviews. Then again, so is TBBT.

TBBT is more of a sketch show, it doesn't have any kind of grand point to make other than 'If you think these characters and their antics are funny, enjoy!'. I certainly enjoy it.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Remember the episode when we got teased with vengeance, he was really sad and saw her and we got the imagined scene when he went up to her and chewed her out for being such a 'mean person' and then it cut back to reality and he was all 'I realize it was my fault, look how happy they are. I shouldn't interfere'. It wasn't his fault, he darn well should interfere and get angry about it.

I don't know. I thought that episode kind of worked. I mean, being angry at someone is really really tiring, and frequently not worth the effort. It's not a bad message.

That all changed in the episode with "The Wedding Bride". EDIT: Which seriously, had to the most mistoned episode of anything ever since it was basically 20 minutes of Ted getting dumped on by someone in an extremely public, extremely direct and extremely hurtful fashion that did not seem funny at all.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options

I don't know. I thought that episode kind of worked. I mean, being angry at someone is really really tiring, and frequently not worth the effort. It's not a bad message.

That all changed in the episode with "The Wedding Bride". EDIT: Which seriously, had to the most mistoned episode of anything ever since it was basically 20 minutes of Ted getting dumped on by someone in an extremely public, extremely direct and extremely hurtful fashion that did not seem funny at all.

I guess it was perhaps more that I felt the 'imagination' would have been a cathartic release and end of the anger, and to NOT do it was unhealthy. Holding a grudge and being angry for a long time is indeed not worth the effort. One moment of 'Look you, you are a real heinous witch and should feel bad about leading me on and messing me around' followed by a deep breath and walking off into the sunset is not. It's a comedy, Stella is the villain and I demand that villains get some degree of comeuppance.

And, as you say, The wedding bride made it all worse. Previously I could indeed take the episode both ways, but after that it was absurd. Having her and her husband mock him for money, and be rewarded for it by all of Teds friends and even TED being forced to laugh as his own pain was mocked by the person who inflicted it.

They should just put an easter egg in there somewhere with a mugshot of her on a newspaper and a caption, "Stella bankrupt after her husband is eaten by furious bears in a zoo they unwisely purchased. A spokesman for the bear said, "VENGEANCE!" "

• Options
    mnihilmnihil Registered User regular
    I guess it was perhaps more that I felt the 'imagination' would have been a cathartic release and end of the anger, and to NOT do it was unhealthy. Holding a grudge and being angry for a long time is indeed not worth the effort. One moment of 'Look you, you are a real heinous witch and should feel bad about leading me on and messing me around' followed by a deep breath and walking off into the sunset is not. It's a comedy, Stella is the villain and I demand that villains get some degree of comeuppance.

And, as you say, The wedding bride made it all worse. Previously I could indeed take the episode both ways, but after that it was absurd. Having her and her husband mock him for money, and be rewarded for it by all of Teds friends and even TED being forced to laugh as his own pain was mocked by the person who inflicted it.

They should just put an easter egg in there somewhere with a mugshot of her on a newspaper and a caption, "Stella bankrupt after her husband is eaten by furious bears in a zoo they unwisely purchased. A spokesman for the bear said, "VENGEANCE!" "

Heh, with that I agree. The Wedding Bride was terrible and an easter egg would be fun.
    But neither the easter egg nor Ted actually throwing Stella's horribleness in her face are in tone with the philosophy of the show, I believe. As far as I understand the writers' thinking, things turned out just dandy for both Ted and Stella in their scenario. Stella got together with her "the One", the douche she deserved (maybe that's her punishment? Then again, he's a successful screenwriter...), and Ted got his job as professor which ultimately was supposedly meant to lead to him meeting the Mother. And in the world of HIMYM, Romance is supposed to win. I think it would be easier to defend that whole Stella plot if they had actually pulled together and stopped procrasinating the actual Ted meeting the Mother story for another three years counting.

However, I do believe the show has far deeper-reaching problems at this point in time than a retrospectively mishandled three-year old story arc.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    The visual stimulus of missionary with the emotional detachment of doggy!

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Stella's husband should die like the guy from the Crow. Stella should die lile the girl from Difrent Strokes.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I just honestly don't get why people are obsessed with the destination (if you will). I didn't start watching this show until season 2 specifically because I disliked that premise (I've seen back episodes now) so maybe that's part of it. But while the continuity is good and part of the charm, wrapping everything in a bow is not the point. Hell, the constant call backs and references to past and future events point out that life is not filled with discrete story arcs. HIMYM tries to capture that.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PantsB wrote: »
    I just honestly don't get why people are obsessed with the destination (if you will). I didn't start watching this show until season 2 specifically because I disliked that premise (I've seen back episodes now) so maybe that's part of it. But while the continuity is good and part of the charm, wrapping everything in a bow is not the point. Hell, the constant call backs and references to past and future events point out that life is not filled with discrete story arcs. HIMYM tries to capture that.

It doesn't matter how far away the destination is providing you are walking towards it. HIMYM stopped walking towards it after Stella. Since then it's been meandering about unable to go anywhere new, and the ground is getting pretty muddy.

• Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    but that's never been the point of the show. The premise IS the show. They stopped following the premise around Season 4 and the show has become a shadow of its former self.

• Options
    Stella's husband should die like the guy from the Crow. Stella should die lile the girl from Difrent Strokes.

I know this is absurd, but I really think that doing something with Stella would get the show out of its rut. Her storyline put it in the rut. Her storyline needs to get it out of it. The whole cathartic 'I'll never be with Robyn' wasn't what the show needed, we already KNEW that, and Ted had already done that. What is needed is for Ted to be faced with a challenge (Stella) and to show some spine in dealing with it.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    but that's never been the point of the show. The premise IS the show. They stopped following the premise around Season 4 and the show has become a shadow of its former self.

The point of all sitcoms once they have become successful for a couple seasons is to last long enough to reach syndication. Ensemble comedies always just become about the group and not what they started as. This is not The Wire. All the pieces don't in fact matter. =)

• Options
    For a show as focused on giving us multiple hints about the mother, yes, all the pieces do, in fact, matter.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I genuinely can't understand people who think the show hasn't been good since season 4 yet are still watching it.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The only reason finding out who the mother is, is important because the show keeps giving hints about it and making it the focus of the season and then just drifting away from it. Finding out the mother isn't that important to me as long as it happens before the show ends, but the show keeps making it seem important so not delivering on it makes it disappointing.

• Options
    Tav wrote: »
    I genuinely can't understand people who think the show hasn't been good since season 4 yet are still watching it.

I don't think it hasn't been GOOD since season 4, it's had some fine episodes and sometimes showed hints of its old quality but up to season 4 it was great. Good is still nice, but it would be good if it could find great again and refusing to move forward with the plotline we're here for is a big part of that.

Season 4 literally ended with 'One of the women sitting 30 feet from Ted in this class is the mother' and then we got nothing out of that. Who knows what Teds job even is now! It's been 3 years, even if Ted was teaching a PhD program through lecturing the mother has probably left by now.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

I don't think it hasn't been GOOD since season 4, it's had some fine episodes and sometimes showed hints of its old quality but up to season 4 it was great. Good is still nice, but it would be good if it could find great again and refusing to move forward with the plotline we're here for is a big part of that.

Season 4 literally ended with 'One of the women sitting 30 feet from Ted in this class is the mother' and then we got nothing out of that. Who knows what Teds job even is now! It's been 3 years, even if Ted was teaching a PhD program through lecturing the mother has probably left by now.

The mother was in the class, and the class wasn't Ted's. It wasn't even in his department if I'm remembering correctly. At a big ass uni in NYC.

I mean, Ted literally can't have met the mother yet logisitically, if she was a student in a class where he was working. And it would break my realism bone if he got left at the altar one year and then met and began dating his wife the next year.

This season has seen Ted pretty stagnant, and I think the Zoe arch was a waste of time, but literally everything else about this show has been working for me.

I stopped really giving a shit about the mother a long time ago, if I'm honest. I would like it to happen, but its not why I watch. I don't think it ever was, really.

The mother thing is just a hook to get the sitcom about friends living in New York greenlit and extended.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    Honestly, just because he meets he mother doesn't mean the show has to end. They have their whole relationship to show after they actually meet

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    DVG wrote: »
    Honestly, just because he meets he mother doesn't mean the show has to end. They have their whole relationship to show after they actually meet

I'm willing to bet if that happened people would bitch.

I'm predicting "It's How I MET Your Mother, not how I DATED Your Mother, GOD" at least once

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

I'm predicting "It's How I MET Your Mother, not how I DATED Your Mother, GOD" at least once

Title change "How Married Your Mother"

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Title change "How You and Your Brother Were Conceived"

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    I am going to be fucking pissed if Quinn/Barney are not end game and they some how lump Barney/Robin together.

I mean really pissed. Jason Segel and Alyson Hannigan wouldn't be enough to keep me to stay.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Statements from the EPs suggest that they are going to take the literal approach to this ("And that's how I met your mother." CUT TO CREDITS), and then if they decide (and are able) to make more, that they'd probably do a season of "and here's some of the stories I forgot!" with each episode set in a different era of the show.

I'd say there's a 30% chance we'll actually get to see the mother interact with the gang for a while and a 60% chance the above is true. 10% chance they'll end it like I said and then follow through with another one of their ideas: "How I Met Your Father".

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options

Don't care. Just have him meet the mother, and end it.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    I find myself caring less and less every episode about the people other than Marshal or Barney, and to a lesser extent Robin. Ted hasn't moved forward in what feels like years and Lilly is a horrible person and doesn't deserve Marshal. I kinda liked Robin, but the arc with Kumar was flat and lifeless and burned most of my goodwill towards her.

• Options
    I haven't cared about anyone outside of Marshall since like, the season one finale.

I've liked Robin and Barney the whole time, but I don't really care what happens to them.

Really, the show should be all about Marshall.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I mean, Ted literally can't have met the mother yet logisitically, if she was a student in a class where he was working. And it would break my realism bone if he got left at the altar one year and then met and began dating his wife the next year.

It was a third year econ class, from what I recall, so she would likely have graduated by the start of season 7. Columbia University also allows sexual relationships between professors and students, so long as the professor doesn't have academic or professional authority over the student, so... (or rather, technically, Columbia doesn't allow professors to have academic or professional authority over students that they're having sex with.) That whole thing about Ted not being allowed to date Cindy was totally made up, particularly given that she was a graduate student and Ted seems to be some sort of adjunct professor or lecturer.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/senate/archives/plenary/11-12/plenary_documents_11-12/consensual_relationship_policy_3-22-2012.pdf

• Options

It was a third year econ class, from what I recall, so she would likely have graduated by the start of season 7. Columbia University also allows sexual relationships between professors and students, so long as the professor doesn't have academic or professional authority over the student, so... (or rather, technically, Columbia doesn't allow professors to have academic or professional authority over students that they're having sex with.) That whole thing about Ted not being allowed to date Cindy was totally made up, particularly given that she was a graduate student and Ted seems to be some sort of adjunct professor or lecturer.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/senate/archives/plenary/11-12/plenary_documents_11-12/consensual_relationship_policy_3-22-2012.pdf

Yawn.

TV logic: Professor can't date student full stop.

Though it might be refreshing to see a show address this kind of set up, to be honest, but I'm not going to expect that from CBS.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I marathoned the entire show over about a 2 week period, seasons 1 to current. I don't think the tone or the focus of the show took a dip. I think its as good now as it was in season 1-3. Honestly, I think the show is better now. I found the obsessive focus of Ted getting a wife to be tiresome. The show is much better when the other story arcs are explored.

The Stella relationship wasn't that bad to me. Sure, it ended horribly, but Sarah Chalke did a fine job playing that role, and she was actually a good addition to the show while she was on there. The 2 minute date was one of my favorite moments in the entire series.

The stuff with Jennifer Morrison was awful however.

• Options
    Yeah, I think the show's ok this year, but last year sucked with the Zoey crap. Marshall and Barney's through lines were the only things that saved it, imo.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The problem with ated not meeting the mother is that he's been a guy obsessed with getting married in a creepy fashion. For over seven years.

At first it was a somewhat charming quirk. Now it's more than a bit pathetic and possibly a pathology.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    While I dont think it was intentional, I kind of think the show is following the trajectory of a person who was left at the alter. A slip into depression, couple of meaningless relationships, an attempt to rekindle an old flame, and finally a realization of what youve become.

So maybe the writers are actually geniuses and rest of this season/next season will be better.

Personally, I dont think its that bad. Sure not all of the episodes have been great this season, and a couple have been mediocre at best, but its still watchable. That said, its probably the worst thing I watch on TV (reality tv aside).

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I marathoned the entire show over about a 2 week period, seasons 1 to current. I don't think the tone or the focus of the show took a dip. I think its as good now as it was in season 1-3. Honestly, I think the show is better now. I found the obsessive focus of Ted getting a wife to be tiresome. The show is much better when the other story arcs are explored.

The Stella relationship wasn't that bad to me. Sure, it ended horribly, but Sarah Chalke did a fine job playing that role, and she was actually a good addition to the show while she was on there. The 2 minute date was one of my favorite moments in the entire series.

The stuff with Jennifer Morrison was awful however.
    I have no idea how it's even POSSIBLE for season 4-7 to be BETTER than 1-3.

1-3 had Robin Sparkles. End of discussion.

And, more importantly, Spoiler Alert, the funniest episode of the whole series.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    Josh Radnor does look good naked, I think.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Man. I was really afraid for a minute that they were gonna take this episode in a really dark direction.

• Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular

You know what bothers me about the movie, not that Tony made it (if I was Tony and made a movie about my love for Stella I would cast Ted as the villain too), its that there are personal details in the movie that Tony did not know. Some of them Tony could have found out about by interrogating his daughter, but some of the stuff (like falling asleep during sex) could only have come from Stella. Which means that after leaving Ted at the altar and only leaving a note for him and after showing up at his door begging him for help in getting Tony back and after Ted helps her get Tony back Stella revealed those details. What was the conversation "Hey Tony here are some personal details about Ted. Let's make sure that Ted will be really hurt when he sees the movie".

They don't have to harm Tony and Stella to fix this. In the future Wedding Bride 3 is playing in a theater, so all they have to do is reveal that Wedding Bride 2 covers the Tony/Stella break up and the movie casts Jed Mosely as the hero getting them back together. Problem solved.

• Options
    mnihilmnihil Registered User regular
    Unbelievable how consistently this season sucks.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There was that one excellent moment this ep;

"I'll get to that later... know what? I'm probably not going to get to that later. They had one song, it didn't suck, the end."

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There was that one excellent moment this ep;

"I'll get to that later... know what? I'm probably not going to get to that later. They had one song, it didn't suck, the end."

Yeah, that was nice.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
This discussion has been closed.