As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: Master Chief -- script delivery boy

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I have this sneaking suspicion that people looking to buy a smartphone react adversely to the Metro interface - specifically because it's so unlike the iOS main screen with all the Apps laid out before them. They don't know what they're looking at and they become uncertain of how to operate it, say "Fuck it, just give me that dem dere iPhone and I'll be on my way" and leave it at that. Everyone knows what an iPhone is, how it looks, and have some rudimentary idea of how to use it. WP7 is, at best, something people go "Hunh, really?" at, because they probably didn't even know such a thing as Windows Phones existed.

I'm going out on a limb here of course, but I just feel it in my guts man.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yay, more opportunities to direct my witch to sexfully rub her wand in her buttcrack!

Seriously, that Ignition situation with Dragon's Crown is just baffling. Was the company really that disorganized that they couldn't have given the gaming press a heads-up that the game was going to be delayed?

I do wonder what the big problem with Windows Phone 7 is. Maybe @Zephiran's right, maybe the whole Metro thing baffles people... Android isn't that different from the iPhone in terms of icon use, so Windows Phone is pretty much unlike everything else. I would say that maybe the reputation of the utterly, utterly horrible Windows phones before 7 drove people off... yet Windows marketshare actually dropped like a rock when 7 came out.

I can only speculate that it's the whole lack of apps problem (Gabe said that's the reason he gave up his Windows 7 phone, even though he loved it), and the fact that Microsoft is now seen as an underdog and also-ran in the tech world nowadays behind Apple, Google, Facebook, etc.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Cade wrote: »
    Going forward all EA brands to be "Online universes"
    EA is turning all of its brands into what it calls "online universes".
    At EA's UK showcase this week, EA's Northern Europe boss Keith Ramsdale said all of EA's game franchises, including FIFA, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, Star Wars, The Sims and Need for Speed, were being transformed in this way.

This means more than simple online play, Ramsdale explained. It involves being able to play a "brand" across multiple devices, each one contributing to a singular goal - and profile.

Ramsdale used FIFA by way of an example. "Imagine a player gets up in the morning, plays an online match on his 360 before going to work," he said. "On the bus, on his way to work, he practices his free kicks on his tablet. At lunch he looks at the transfer window on his PC. On the way home he chooses his kit on his smartphone.

On the bus, on his way to work, he practices his free kicks on his tablet. At lunch he looks at the transfer window on his PC. On the way home he chooses his kit on his smartphone.
    "Here's the thing: when he gets home to play again on his 360 that evening, all those achievements and upgrades will be alive in his game."

Ramsdale said online universes allow the consumer to play "how he wants, when he wants and on the device he wants".

"We're very focused on transforming all of our brands into these online universes. That gives the consumer full control of how and when they play in a rich world of content."
    We've already seen some of this with the BioWare developed Mass Effect 3. Players are able to contribute to their Galactic Readiness in the main game by playing the Mass Effect Datapad companion app on their smartphones.

WARNING:

All potential universes to be wiped out by EA Gods via server shut downs once deemed non profitable.

Christ. As much as I think cross-platform stuff can be interesting, forcing it on every game is silly. Just like forcing multiplayer on every game is silly. Not to mention that Mass Effect: Infiltrator still hasn't hit Android.

And it looks like the unsaid implication is that EA is only doing ginormo blockbusters from here on out.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    At EA's UK showcase this week, EA's Northern Europe boss Keith Ramsdale said all of EA's game franchises, including FIFA, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, Star Wars, The Sims and Need for Speed, were being transformed in this way.

This means more than simple online play, Ramsdale explained. It involves being able to play a "brand" across multiple devices, each one contributing to a singular goal - and profile.

Ramsdale used FIFA by way of an example. "Imagine a player gets up in the morning, plays an online match on his 360 before going to work," he said. "On the bus, on his way to work, he practices his free kicks on his tablet. At lunch he looks at the transfer window on his PC. On the way home he chooses his kit on his smartphone.

On the bus, on his way to work, he practices his free kicks on his tablet. At lunch he looks at the transfer window on his PC. On the way home he chooses his kit on his smartphone.
    "Here's the thing: when he gets home to play again on his 360 that evening, all those achievements and upgrades will be alive in his game."

Ramsdale said online universes allow the consumer to play "how he wants, when he wants and on the device he wants".

"We're very focused on transforming all of our brands into these online universes. That gives the consumer full control of how and when they play in a rich world of content."
    We've already seen some of this with the BioWare developed Mass Effect 3. Players are able to contribute to their Galactic Readiness in the main game by playing the Mass Effect Datapad companion app on their smartphones.

WARNING:

All potential universes to be wiped out by EA Gods via server shut downs once deemed non profitable.

Christ. As much as I think cross-platform stuff can be interesting, forcing it on every game is silly. Just like forcing multiplayer on every game is silly. Not to mention that Mass Effect: Infiltrator still hasn't hit Android.

And it looks like the unsaid implication is that EA is only doing ginormo blockbusters from here on out.

They sure put a lot of money into a demographic that probably doesn't even have the money to pay for all this shit. Like who has time to basically let FIFA or Mass Effect run their life across every device they own all day? Constantly fiddling one franchise like this seems like something only the most hardcore (and probably unstable) fans would be doing.

• Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    Never underestimate the power of imaginary rewards. Shit, look at Gamer Scores and Trophys. They don't even unlock anything yet people are mad for them.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

WARNING:

All potential universes to be wiped out by EA Gods via server shut downs once deemed non profitable .

Considering that EA has a passion for shutting down the servers for games after about three years, this move can very much be considered "oh evil EA is back" since it forces the consumer to buy products repeatedly.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    Never underestimate the power of imaginary rewards. Shit, look at Gamer Scores and Trophys. They don't even unlock anything yet people are mad for them.

True, but I'd still consider the people out there who are so obsessed with Achievements/Trophies that are buying multiple copies of games across different regions to get more score a really niche audience. The same way I'd consider the person they give as an example of the FIFA fan they're trying to court with this new direction.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

WARNING:

They sure put a lot of money into a demographic that probably doesn't even have the money to pay for all this shit. Like who has time to basically let FIFA or Mass Effect run their life across every device they own all day? Constantly fiddling one franchise like this seems like something only the most hardcore (and probably unstable) fans would be doing.

Honestly, when I started playing ME3, all I could think during the day was that I wanted to be playing more ME3. Like, some kind of half-assed approximation that I could play on my phone while I'm out and about would've been an instant purchase. Or take the hacking game from Deus Ex: Human Resources. I would love a portable version of that.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    To be fair, the Mass Effect 3 Datapad was free.

Though it turns out raising your galactic readiness doesn't really do anything.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168760/Brink_developers_next_moves_Freetoplay_publishing_backend_support.php
    "With Splash Damage, we finished Brink, and it's estimated to have sold more than 2.5 million units worldwide, which at retail would mean that it's generated around $120-140 million in revenue," explains Wedgwood.

• Options
    Of course Brink dropped in price veeeeeeeeery quickly.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Cuz we can't get enough articles about Kickstarter:
    http://gamerfront.net/2012/04/kickstart-my-gaming-heart/18912

• Options
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/gaming-safe-from-upcoming-sony-chops/094797
    Sony will not bury the axe into its games division as the company prepares to slash some 10,000 jobs from its global entertainment empire, Develop understands.

Information of the company’s restructuring operation suggests that the television, marketing and chemicals business will bear the brunt of the cut-backs.

Targeting a six per cent reduction of its workforce (about 10,000 employees), it is believed that Sony will remove about 5,000 workers through the sale of its chemicals and LCD business.

For the full story visit Develop.
    It makes me wonder if the recent killing of a studio or two like Zipper was a reaction to upcoming times. Even if they are doing well, everybody is probably expected to remove waste.

• Options
    LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Brink was one of those unfortunate cases of the engine being brilliantly designed, but the game built on top of it ranging from subpar to awful. The very few times I managed to get into matches with no bots and people actually communicating, it was a blast. I don't think that ever happened more than three times, though.

I'd gladly play a better designed shooter using Brink's parkour mechanics.

LegendofLink on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Free To Play might be the best move for Splash Damage. Brink would've one better on that platform.

• Options
    It doesn't help that the game's multiplayer apparently quickly dwindled into nothing. I now wish there was a study on average lifespan of multiplayer userbase for various games.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    It doesn't help that the game's multiplayer apparently quickly dwindled into nothing. I now wish there was a study on average lifespan of multiplayer userbase for various games.

Man, that would be wonderful. If more games had in-game stats of the number of people playing online (like the Halo games), Gamasutra could run articles like the XBLA sale ones.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Targeting a six per cent reduction of its workforce (about 10,000 employees), it is believed that Sony will remove about 5,000 workers through the sale of its chemicals and LSD business.

That's what I thought I read the first time.

And I had no idea that Sony had a chemicals division.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    "With Splash Damage, we finished Brink, and it's estimated to have sold fooled more than 2.5 million units poor saps worldwide, which at retail would mean that it's our elaborate heist generated around $120-140 million in revenue," explains Wedgwood.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    Brink was one of those unfortunate cases of the engine being brilliantly designed, but the game built on top of it ranging from subpar to awful. The very few times I managed to get into matches with no bots and people actually communicating, it was a blast. I don't think that ever happened more than three times, though.

I'd gladly play a better designed shooter using Brink's parkour mechanics.

Random objectives would have helped a lot.

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with on the free to play side. Brink seemed like a good starting point for that type of game.

• Options
    Targeting a six per cent reduction of its workforce (about 10,000 employees), it is believed that Sony will remove about 5,000 workers through the sale of its chemicals and LSD business.

Most of these large firms end up with a chemicals division because of all their research into various manufacturing crap often ends up with the creation of new chemicals. For example, Kodak has shitloads of chemicals.

http://www.economist.com/node/21542796
    Bad luck played a role, too. Kodak thought that the thousands of chemicals its researchers had created for use in film might instead be turned into drugs. But its pharmaceutical operations fizzled, and were sold in the 1990s.

Fujifilm diversified more successfully. Film is a bit like skin: both contain collagen. Just as photos fade because of oxidation, cosmetics firms would like you to think that skin is preserved with anti-oxidants. In Fujifilm’s library of 200,000 chemical compounds, some 4,000 are related to anti-oxidants. So the company launched a line of cosmetics, called Astalift, which is sold in Asia and is being launched in Europe this year.

Fujifilm also sought new outlets for its expertise in film: for example, making optical films for LCD flat-panel screens. It has invested $4 billion in the business since 2000. And this has paid off. In one sort of film, to expand the LCD viewing angle, Fujifilm enjoys a 100% market share.

• Options
    Big long article analyzing Sony's situation is up on the NYTimes. Long story short, the blame is placed on Sony failing to keep up with technology and the move to digital, as well as infighting between the divisions. The author did say the PS3 was a success for Sony, though it was marred by the Blu-ray gambit.

Here's a small bit:
    But Sony’s recent leaders have had trouble wielding authority over the sprawling company. Sony remains dominated by proud, territorial engineers who often shun cooperation. For many of them, cost-cutting is the enemy of creativity — a legacy of Sony’s co-founders, Mr. Morita and Masaru Ibuka, who tried to foster a culture of independence. But the founders had more success than recent executives in exerting control over division managers.

Executives complain privately of recalcitrant managers who refuse to share information or work with other divisions. One executive said he was startled to discover that a manager whose position had been eliminated had been rehired under a different title. (“Or maybe he never really left,” said this executive, who spoke on condition of anonymity out of fear of angering his bosses.)

In 2005, such challenges prompted Sony to select Howard Stringer, a British-born American businessman, as C.E.O., rather than Ken Kutaragi, the brains behind PlayStation. Mr. Stringer had a record as an agent of change: as head of Sony in the United States, he oversaw music, movies and electronics there and eliminated 9,000 of 30,000 jobs.

At his first news conference as C.E.O., Mr. Stringer declared that he would “accelerate cross-company collaboration, thereby revitalizing the company and promoting creativity.”

But not even Mr. Stringer, who has stepped aside for Mr. Hirai but will remain as chairman, could break down all the silos at Sony.

The company still makes a confusing catalog of gadgets that overlap or even cannibalize one another. It has also continued to let its product lines mushroom: 10 different consumer-level camcorders and almost 30 different TVs, for instance, crowd and confuse consumers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/technology/how-sony-fell-behind-in-the-tech-parade.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular

I want a correlation study done on hats and multiplayer longevity.

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony owned a several of "Medieval Times" franchises throughout the USA.

• Options
    RobotSpammerRobotSpammer Registered User regular
    So in regards to Sony it's basically the body refusing to listen to the head because it feels it has a better understanding of things but at the same time, the body hates itself and wants to compete....... against itself?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    So in regards to Sony it's basically the body refusing to listen to the head because it feels it has a better understanding of things but at the same time, the body hates itself and wants to compete....... against itself?

Reminds me of Capcom, but in reverse.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    About the EA Online thing:

I expect the next The Sims game to just a second coming of The Sims Online; maybe with an asynchronous element to it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hm. Nintendo's Twitter account just posted "We've got some news to share 2nite around 8:30 PM PT. Be sure to check back to get the latest!"

Welp, there we have it. Gigaton incoming.

• Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    http://m.kotaku.com/5903776/square-enix-really-really-wants-you-to-play-final-fantasy-xiv
    On the flip side, if you've stuck with Final Fantasy XIV for the long haul, you get to be part of Square Enix's "Legacy Campaign." You'll get to lock into a lower monthly fee ($10/month, as opposed to the standard $15/month) and Square Enix will even include your name in the game's credits for some reason. And you'll get a special chocobo mount to signify just how loyal you are.

One of the more amusing Kickstarter awards, in my opinion, is the award of having your name in the credits. So the above quote made me laugh because either we are talking about the longest credits ever or practically nobody is still playing FF XIV.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So Nintendo is doing another Nintendo direct tonight at 8:30. Most are predicting it'll be them announcing Pandora's Tower for the US. That is pretty much all I'm figuring it is. So if that happens, what are the chances they had these releases planned all along, or who thinks Operation Rainfall had anything to actually do with it?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I'm firm in my opinion that NOA just plump forgot about those three games when they were drawing up their yearly budgets, and Europe got 'em because the exchange rate would've fucked the company as a whole anyway and as such they had some extra monies they could sink into localisation.

/my2cents

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    So Nintendo is doing another Nintendo direct tonight at 8:30. Most are predicting it'll be them announcing Pandora's Tower for the US. That is pretty much all I'm figuring it is. So if that happens, what are the chances they had these releases planned all along, or who thinks Operation Rainfall had anything to actually do with it?

Considering they flat out said they weren't coming, and that Last Story is only coming because XSeed is doing it, I doubt that.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    More bad news for Sony.

Hackers Making Progress With Vita Despite Sony's Attempts To Thwart
    Hackers have been able to crack the PlayStation Vita's latest firmware, allowing them to run homebrew via an exploit found in downloadable PSP games.

Sony recently returned two pulled PSP games to the PlayStation Store after releasing firmware 1.67 for the PlayStation Vita. The firmware was thought to patch the exploits discovered within these games, but it seems that hackers found another game to exploit. Hackers have posted videos of the PlayStation Vita running the original Doom, but aren't revealing which game they are exploiting, to keep Sony in the dark and prevent them from taking action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_eVaq5_PIY
    The PSP was plagued by piracy, reducing profits from sales and making developers and publishers uneasy about creating software for the console. Sony has done much to prevent piracy on the PlayStation Vita, but it appears that the Vita's ability to play PSP games may open doors Sony would rather keep closed.

Let's pray that this doesn't get out of hand and lead to an early grave for the PlayStation Vita. Which is actually a great little device.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Maybe a release date for Fire Emblem.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Isn't the 3DS still relatively safe from hackers? I thought I read something about old DS type badness still working but nothing that compromises the 3DSness of the 3DS. Seems like Sony can't catch a break.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    Meh, all it takes is one "how to" article for Vita homebrew to pop up somewhere and Sony can pull the offending game. The hacking community is far too open to keep that secret for long. In any case, this will be fun to watch from the sidelines, and you have to give Sony credit for the only holes in the Vita being old PSP ones that don't have access to the full range of the Vita's capabilities.

• Options
    Dritz wrote: »
    Isn't the 3DS still relatively safe from hackers? I thought I read something about old DS type badness still working but nothing that compromises the 3DSness of the 3DS. Seems like Sony can't catch a break.

Near as I can tell. I've heard it's partially because the thing is locked down pretty well. But I think a lot of it stems from the fact that the PSP was a longtime bonanza of piracy, tweaks and homebrew, and the fact that the hacking community is still pissed off at Sony for the constant patching and removing Linux from the PS3.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    lol yes it was definitely "piracy" that kept psp revenue down

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Guys, I think Nintendo is going to announce a kickstarter.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I think Nintendo is finally going to start making their Balance Board in black.

Meanwhile, from the land of hilarious Sony patent filings:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/19/just-look-at-this-ps-move-steering-wheel-patent/

Crap, can't embed the image.

cloudeagle on
This discussion has been closed.