Options

Superman vs Goku: Who would win??

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »

no, I'm mostly talking about his tendency to be EXTREME for its own sake

this isn't a thing that happens in his max run really though

the super explicit shit is maybe 10% of the violence in the book

and it's brief enough to be shocking without getting old

and it usually serves a purpose (which is usually showing exactly how fucked a situation is/how pissed off frank is)

read The Slavers

it is seriously the height of his run and requires basically zero knowledge of the rest of the series

i agree that ennis has a tendency to be super extreme but in the last few years he's managed to reign himself in and at least have the extreme shit have a narrative purpose

that was not the impression I got

and it shows in the dialogue, too

like there's a part early in punisher MAX where some goombas are in a place where clam chowder is traditionally tomato-based and therefore red, not white

one of them orders some for lunch and is not pleased with this

he yells at the waitress and tells her to bring take it back and bring him chowder that "she didn't have her period in"

hrrrrRRRRRRRRGHGHHGHGHHG

that is so fucking stupid

SO STUPID

the dumbest

that dude is also explicitly a psychopath with horrendous rage issues so maybe oging "ugh the super mad crazy guy acted super mad and crazy" is a bad argument

read The Slavers

nobody doesn't like The Slavers

umm I don't think you know what "explicitly" means

at no point before that had anyone said, "he is a psychopath"

and that was just one example of all the stupid bullshit dialogue

no, I'm not reading anymore of it

I gave it a chance, it was exactly as stupid as all the other dumb horseshit Ennis couldn't help sneaking into Hitman and Preacher on occasion, except it was all the time

same with The Boys

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i've read silver age comics since i was 6 Buttlord

suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

honestly, a lot of this argument comes from ignorance

it's entirely more likely that people in the arguments have seen or read all of Dragonball Z than have seen or read all of Superman's media

so, you know, entirely understandable that people don't know what Superman can do, what he does do, why he's so goddamn great

I thought we were ignoring Silver Age.

Because Silver Age is just silly.

that citing of silver age was in response to buttlord posting that thing that girls didn't actually know about comics

and the Silver Age was not entirely silly! hell, the darkest moment of the Silver Age is darker than anything after it.

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

and it usually serves a purpose (which is usually showing exactly how fucked a situation is/how pissed off frank is)

read The Slavers

it is seriously the height of his run and requires basically zero knowledge of the rest of the series

i agree that ennis has a tendency to be super extreme but in the last few years he's managed to reign himself in and at least have the extreme shit have a narrative purpose

like there's a part early in punisher MAX where some goombas are in a place where clam chowder is traditionally tomato-based and therefore red, not white

he yells at the waitress and tells her to bring take it back and bring him chowder that "she didn't have her period in"

hrrrrRRRRRRRRGHGHHGHGHHG

SO STUPID

the dumbest

that dude is also explicitly a psychopath with horrendous rage issues so maybe oging "ugh the super mad crazy guy acted super mad and crazy" is a bad argument

read The Slavers

I gave it a chance, it was exactly as stupid as all the other dumb horseshit Ennis couldn't help sneaking into Hitman and Preacher on occasion, except it was all the time

same with The Boys

you are absolutely one hundred percent wrong on both counts

you're judging 60+ issues on the contents of the first (few) arcs of each series

which are absolutely the weakest for both series

read it or not but don't be a goose about it

also if we're going to do the UH EXCUSE ME YOU USED THE WRONG WORD thing again then fine pretend i said implicitly there jesus fuckin christ

it does not invalidate my argument unless you can't figure out what i meant because you're too busy being a goose

Buttlord on
  • Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    i've read silver age comics since i was 6 Buttlord

suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

honestly, a lot of this argument comes from ignorance

it's entirely more likely that people in the arguments have seen or read all of Dragonball Z than have seen or read all of Superman's media

so, you know, entirely understandable that people don't know what Superman can do, what he does do, why he's so goddamn great

I thought we were ignoring Silver Age.

Because Silver Age is just silly.

that citing of silver age was in response to buttlord posting that thing that girls didn't actually know about comics

and the Silver Age was not entirely silly! hell, the darkest moment of the Silver Age is darker than anything after it.

what was the darkest moment

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Wait, I thought we were talking DC.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Gwen Stacy's death

• Options
    edited April 2012
    like i'm pretty fuckin sure when someone says "hey pittsy and ink are coming to town" someone actually says "holy shit what the fuck no those guys are nuts"

but

whatever

i dont feel like digging out my copy of in the beginning over you being a goose
    Gwen Stacy's death

i always thought that was bronze age

i always though the silver age ended about the time marvel started doing their Thing

Buttlord on
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Watchmen and DKR

the no-fun age

• Options
    like i'm pretty fuckin sure when someone says "hey pittsy and ink are coming to town" someone actually says "holy shit what the fuck no those guys are nuts"

but

whatever

Gwen Stacy's death

i always though the silver age ended about the time marvel started doing their Thing

preeeeettty sure that post-gwen stacy's death is the bronze age, and then the bronze age ended after Watchmen and DKR

• Options
    really

huh

i mean i knew bronze age moved into the "dark age" or whatever want to call it after Watchmen and DKR did their whole fuckin shit but for some reason i always correlate the rise of marvel and their style with the end of the silver age

learnin shit i guess

• Options
    you know what i really, really love

that Morrison had the balls to talk about the various ages of superheroes within his Flash run, who incidentally is his favorite superhero

Golden age, Silver Age, Bronze age, Dark age, and the modern era were all discussed, but in the context of them being descriptors that people referred to for their reality

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Watchmen and DKR

the no-fun age

donkey kong: revolution

After donkey kong lets power go to his head, play as tiny kong as she leads the rebel kongs through a campaign of gorilla warfare to take down the lead ape

• Options
    i don't remember that at all

but

i haven't read GMo's flash in years

• Options
    Watchmen and DKR

the no-fun age

After donkey kong lets power go to his head, play as tiny kong as she leads the rebel kongs through a campaign of gorilla warfare to take down the lead ape
    you are joking and obviously don't care but fuck you saying anyway

Dark Knight Returns

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Watchmen and DKR

the no-fun age

it's Donkey Konga Revolution you phillistine

Gotta fight off the woes of deforestation the only way you know how: one Pokemon song at a time

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    you know what i really, really love

that Morrison had the balls to talk about the various ages of superheroes within his Flash run, who incidentally is his favorite superhero

Golden age, Silver Age, Bronze age, Dark age, and the modern era were all discussed, but in the context of them being descriptors that people referred to for their reality

I like Morrison's commentary on early '90s comics with Flex Mentallo

at the end of his first appearance he talks about how he sees superheroes being sad and that's not right

so he's going to put a smile on everyone's face

I love Flex Mentallo

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

but

whatever

Gwen Stacy's death

It's a fine line, and Stacey is almost definitely Bronze, but it's WAY after Marvel became the house Stan and Jack built.

People talk about Silver Age Marvel all the time. Stan and Jack (and Ditko and Romita and so on) were doing amazing new stuff while DC was going into its rut.

I mean, there were stinkers sometimes, but generally every issue of FF was doing something new, daring, something that comics weren't supposed to do.

The Fantastic Four went broke due to Reed Richards sucking at the stock market in their first year.

Next issue? Dr. Doom breaks into the Marvel offices to hold Stan and Jack at gunpoint. This is a key story beat.

Heroes were human and vulnerable. Villains reformed. An entity who was about as close to God as the CCA would allow in an antagonist showed up to eat Earth for brunch.

The next issue was a character study of a one off mad scientist.

Silver Age was Marvel doing their thing. It's where their thing was invented.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    preacher is hilarious and you shan't convince me otherwise

it's the same sense of humour as tarantino and exploitation films

but even more so because in comics you can do anything

• Options
    i really dislike preacher because it felt like he was trying too hard to be edgy

like it is a fine line to do shit like that and not look like an asshole

the end of inglorious basterds toes that line beautifully with the "this is my masterpiece" line

preacher just felt way too much like a guy going "and then the DESCENDENT OF JESUS IS RETARDED" and thinking it's incredible and it's not

but like i said before he's gotten a lot better about grounding that kind of shit with the characters since then

so hey i can't be too mad

true story i can't spell descendents right because of the band spelling it with no A

• Options

read The Slavers

hrrrrRRRRRRRRGHGHHGHGHHG

SO STUPID

the dumbest

read The Slavers

same with The Boys

you are absolutely one hundred percent wrong on both counts

you're judging 60+ issues on the contents of the first (few) arcs of each series

which are absolutely the weakest for both series

read it or not but don't be a goose about it

also if we're going to do the UH EXCUSE ME YOU USED THE WRONG WORD thing again then fine pretend i said implicitly there jesus fuckin christ

it does not invalidate my argument unless you can't figure out what i meant because you're too busy being a goose

if a writer can't make me want to read his/her story after a few hours worth of reading then he/she is a shit writer

that's storytelling 101

christ that's not even 101

that's like one of those 98-level classes for people who don't even speak the language

and you really need to work on not getting bent out of shape when people assume you used the words you used on purpose

unless you want me to assume that you don't have any idea what you're saying henceforth

because I can do that

• Options
    i really dislike preacher because it felt like he was trying too hard to be edgy

the end of inglorious basterds toes that line beautifully with the "this is my masterpiece" line

preacher just felt way too much like a guy going "and then the DESCENDENT OF JESUS IS RETARDED" and thinking it's incredible and it's not

but like i said before he's gotten a lot better about grounding that kind of shit with the characters since then

true story i can't spell descendents right because of the band spelling it with no A

this is what ennis does with everything

• Options

this is what ennis does with everything

i keep saying that he's gotten a lot better since preacher but you don't give a shit so whatever

• Options
    preacher is absolutely one of the worst comics i've ever tried to read

there's good parts

the arc about jesse's childhood i like

but most of that book is just "heh. religion" and ugh

• Options
    preacher is absolutely one of the worst comics i've ever tried to read

there's good parts

the arc about jesse's childhood i like

but most of that book is just "heh. religion" and ugh

there's an arc maybe four trades in that is basically the origin story for the saint of killers

and it's excellent

mostly dispenses with the RELIGION OH HO HO stuff

basically Ennis' take on a western vengeance story

and it's not illustrated by steve dillon

so, aces

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Reading this thread has reminded me that it's still 3 months before the next Scalped trade is due to come out.

• Options
    Steve Dillon needs to learn to draw more than one kind of lips

but i always felt like the God stuff was the least important part of the book? like really the Big Theme is about friendship and how even your closest mates can fuck you over. i don't think Ennis actually gives a shit about religion one way or the other, it's just there to make the plot tick along

and i know his sense of humour verges on the childish but i actually think the comedy in Preacher is all really well executed

• Options
    edited April 2012

he needs to learn how to draw more than one kind of face altogether

seriously he just draws the same face and puts different hair on top

and normally it's not a huge deal

but there are some spots where the writing makes it really jarring

like, way back when Ennis and Dillon were doing Hellblazer together, Constantine was dating this Irish gal

I think her name was Kit

she just had the same face Dillon drew on everyone, so she looked like a man

and there were a couple times when characters would comment on how pretty she was

and I was all, AHAHAHA NO

Shorty on
  • Options

he needs to learn how to draw more than one kind of face altogether

seriously he just draws the same face and puts different hair on top

and normally it's not a huge deal

but there are some spots where the writing makes it really jarring

like, way back when Ennis and Dillon were doing Hellblazer together, Constantine was dating this Irish gal

I think her name was Kit

she just had the same face Dillon drew on everyone, so she looked like a man

and there were a couple times when characters would comment on how pretty she was

and I was all, AHAHAHA NO

i remember reading this actually

it's a pity because the guy's style is really distinct and works really well for a certain type of story, i wouldn't want to see him stop working

but for fuck's sake dude

how did you never learn to do this one thing

• Options
    edited April 2012
    some artists just get these huge blind spots and for whatever reason nobody tells them about it

frank quitely has the same kind of thing

his linework on figures and especially faces is just so frenetic

everyone looks like a sack of potatoes

or like alex ross, whose figures and faces are beautiful

but dude can't tell a visual story for shit

those two guys need to collaborate

quitely does all the layouts and placements, roughs everyone in

ross does everything else

and if we're going the allstar route

fuck it, have warren ellis or grant morrison write it

Shorty on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Gwen Stacy's death

Nah man, the Silver Age ended when Gwen Stacy died and the Joker started murdering people again. Both of those things happened in 1973.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    People tend to forget that modern Superman is significantly less powerful than he was decades ago.

For a long time now, Superman, while being one of the most powerful superheroes on earth, has not been anywhere near godlike. He can no longer move planets around casually, he no longer has a billion powers, he can no longer reverse time by flying really fast. He is far from untouchable.

You don't need to be magic to hurt Superman. You don't need kryptonite to hurt Superman. You just need to have super strength or another strong ability. It does not take a God to give him a challenge. There are other characters as fast or faster, other characters as strong or stronger.

Meanwhile, DBZ is fucking crazy. In the very first arc, a dude decides the moon is inconvenient, so he shoots a beam from his finger up into space effortlessly, and blows it the hell up. And this takes nothing out of him. Modern Superman isn't going to zap the moon with his heat vision once and explode it. Meanwhile, the main characters all have comparative super speed and super strength from pretty much the beginning, and projectile attacks capable of incredible devastation. And it just gets stupider and more ridiculous as it goes on. It is a fair fight at best if you're going with Vegeta-arc Goku. Anything later than that and modern Supes doesn't stand much of a chance.

And that's a good thing. The fact that Superman can be challenged by regular villains and situations and can't just beat everyone with god powers is a positive, and one of the biggest reasons why the massive power-down after the silver age is good for the character.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    as far as superman's power goes to make it fair shouldn't you use the superman from the late 80s to mid-90s since that's when dragonball z first aired

• Options
    as far as superman's power goes to make it fair shouldn't you use the superman from the late 80s to mid-90s since that's when dragonball z first aired

that's still post-crisis, which is when his power was reduced

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    If we take into account that Soulja Boy says he looks like Goku, and "Supermans" hos

What conclusion can we draw from this

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that it all comes down to what part of the character's history we're going with.

Silver Age Supes probably beats early Goku. Goku late in the series trounces modern Superman. Both at their most powerful versions? It would be the most ridiculous fight ever.

But I think that to a lot of people, Superman is associated with his silver age/Donner films powers despite not being anywhere close to that in decades.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    that I had forgotten that thing had existed and was happier for it until you brought it up just now

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    some artists just get these huge blind spots and for whatever reason nobody tells them about it

frank quitely has the same kind of thing

his linework on figures and especially faces is just so frenetic

everyone looks like a sack of potatoes

or like alex ross, whose figures and faces are beautiful

but dude can't tell a visual story for shit

those two guys need to collaborate

quitely does all the layouts and placements, roughs everyone in

ross does everything else

and if we're going the allstar route

fuck it, have warren ellis or grant morrison write it

alex ross' issue is that everything he does looks exactly the same

and i don't just mean the photorealistic thing

you ever see his designs for original costumes? they're all the same

hero's colors on the mask, a triangle on the upper chest, and the gloves

he designed bucky's cap suit

and every one of his suit designs looks like that

dude is incredibly fucking limited

• Options
    PSsoT.jpg
    yerp

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    isn't that just like

spider-man's costume, but a lot of it is black now

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    I don't want to get too down on Ross because he's a super-talented guy

but yes

he's definitely got areas he could improve in

This discussion has been closed.