As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[YEStling Thread] DJ Hogan in the house

• Options
    SpoochSpooch Registered User regular
    25 points? Fuuuuuuck you TLB! Maximum, you failed specatularly, now off with you to be undrafted foo'

Assuming direct control O-O
  • Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Cena winning was pretty obvious. He was being booked losing to guys like Tensei while Brock was doing re-run interviews being a total jerk and talking about piss. Reading about the contract signing cemented it for me, since there was no way they'd change the name of RAW. Maybe its just me but underdog Cena beating superjerk Brock seemed like such a sure thing.

That was the giant awooga alarm that made me realise Brock was not going to win.

I figured that was the signal for it being a no-contest. From everything I've read, Cena winning didn't seem obvious at all and a lot of people were discussing how Cena was being fed to Lesnar right off of losing to the Rock. Lesnar flat out losing really did hinder the entire Rocky IV/Knightfall/whatever angle of "oh god this monster has arrived and destroyed Apollo/Batman/whatever, who shall save us now?"

The match was great but I just find the combo of this outcome and WM to be.... curious. I was really under the impression that the next big thing they want is Rock/Lesnar. If that's the case, it seems like they did it completely backwards.

I have no idea what angle they have in mind for Lesnar that starts with losing to the guy who just got beat by someone who hadn't wrestled in 7 years.

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Almost a perfect score. I hope I get drafted early because of it.

Also me and @Magell need a team name. So get thinking.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I am gonna be part of the draft that ends up on the website next to the power rankings noooo

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Cena winning was pretty obvious. He was being booked losing to guys like Tensei while Brock was doing re-run interviews being a total jerk and talking about piss. Reading about the contract signing cemented it for me, since there was no way they'd change the name of RAW. Maybe its just me but underdog Cena beating superjerk Brock seemed like such a sure thing.

That was the giant awooga alarm that made me realise Brock was not going to win.

I figured that was the signal for it being a no-contest. From everything I've read, Cena winning didn't seem obvious at all and a lot of people were discussing how Cena was being fed to Lesnar right off of losing to the Rock. Lesnar flat out losing really did hinder the entire Rocky IV/Knightfall/whatever angle of "oh god this monster has arrived and destroyed Apollo/Batman/whatever, who shall save us now?"

The match was great but I just find the combo of this outcome and WM to be.... curious. I was really under the impression that the next big thing they want is Rock/Lesnar. If that's the case, it seems like they did it completely backwards.

I have no idea what angle they have in mind for Lesnar that starts with losing to the guy who just got beat by someone who hadn't wrestled in 7 years.

Well Cena lost to Rock in a straight up wrestling match. Cena beat Brock in a street fight where both of them were busted open by the end.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There are more of us that got 25 points than any other score on the card. We should form a stable, we can be like the mid-card Nexus who convinces the world that we're the next big things, only to silently be pulled from television and re-premiered months later as singles competitors with different terrible gimmicks and be doomed to be future endeavored.

(though really, this is mainly because I wish to be dragged along with zero talent until a relevant use is found, also I can rock a mean bow-tie)

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Personally I think this whole Rock/Cena/Lesnar thing was completely borked from the beginning. What I would have done was have Cena go over Rock at WM. Then you could have had John be all happy and then have Brock come out the Raw after WM, F5 Cena and say "Great, you beat a guy who's been off doing movies for the past however many years. You know what I've been doing?! Kicking guys asses for real." Then you have Brock beat Cena at Extreme Rules and build up a rematch for the following ppv. Then in a few months have Rock come back and confront Lesnar for his "making movies" comment and build up for a showdown between the two at WM. With Cena possibly as the ref. But what do I know.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Having Cena beat both Rock AND Brock in consecutive PPV's would have pissed more people off than what they've done so far. Like I said the Rock/Cena match was completely different than Brock/Cena.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    My one wonder is if there's going to be any backlash if Brock actually did legit put Cena out. My worry (other than "He gets any mic time" and my general hatred of the guy) since Lesnar got back is that he's just spent the last however many years in MMA being trained and conditioned to go out there and actually hurt the other guy, and with just a month of lead time into his first match if he was going to be able to switch back into "entertainment" mode. This worry was founded with that first dust up when he threw the first punch legit before going "Oh yeah, maybe I shouldn't be trying to break this guy's face".

If he is actually at fault for injuring Cena, is WWE going to suddenly go "Oh shit, what have we done?" or are they going to wait until the guy ends someone's career?

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    How many appearances does Brock have again? He's up to four now right? I keep forgetting there's only 52 Raws a year so it just seems he's burning them out too quickly now.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Personally I think this whole Rock/Cena/Lesnar thing was completely borked from the beginning. What I would have done was have Cena go over Rock at WM. Then you could have had John be all happy and then have Brock come out the Raw after WM, F5 Cena and say "Great, you beat a guy who's been off doing movies for the past however many years. You know what I've been doing?! Kicking guys asses for real." Then you have Brock beat Cena at Extreme Rules and build up a rematch for the following ppv. Then in a few months have Rock come back and confront Lesnar for his "making movies" comment and build up for a showdown between the two at WM. With Cena possibly as the ref. But what do I know.

This would have been incredible. The crowd would have been booing the WWE like crazy for "keepin' it PG" and then oh shit here comes Lesnar who doesn't pull his punches and fully extends his submissions, pummeling Cena into kayfabe. Alas, they give the Cena smarks what they wanted and helped Dwayne "The Homophobe" Johnson promote his movie career.

I feel they've saved everything though, with the Edge speech. I was rooting for Cena, because Edge is right. Why give these here now-gone later walk-ons any more push then they can get on their own, when they can barely promo and force the WWE to burn their main events on them.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I'm still thinking Ace makes a Punk/Lesnar WWE title match for Over the Limit tonight. And how I would do it is Lesnar wins the title at the PPV which leads to rematches for the next two. Then Lesnar faces either Orton or Cena again at Summerslam. After that I'm not quite sure what would happen though.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    What would they do with Jericho until SummerSlam then?

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

This would have been incredible. The crowd would have been booing the WWE like crazy for "keepin' it PG" and then oh shit here comes Lesnar who doesn't pull his punches and fully extends his submissions, pummeling Cena into kayfabe. Alas, they give the Cena smarks what they wanted and helped Dwayne "The Homophobe" Johnson promote his movie career.

I feel they've saved everything though, with the Edge speech. I was rooting for Cena, because Edge is right. Why give these here now-gone later walk-ons any more push then they can get on their own, when they can barely promo and force the WWE to burn their main events on them.

This article on Rajah.com has one of the best explanations ever about what's fucked up about all of it: (spoilered for long text)
    I think I’m the only person in the WWE Universe (yuck, I suddenly feel so dirty) who wasn’t excited to see Brock Lesnar return, because unlike the majority of wrestling fans, I never really cared much for him to begin with. Don’t get me wrong, I see his value. He’s a fantastic talent and he’s one of the best heels in the business because he is a real life dick head. He’s good for business, and Vince would be stupid to turn him away.

But, he should never ever ever be cheered. Ever. Over the past year Cena talked about how The Rock abandoned the WWE and is only back for his ego and money, and while that’s true to an extent it’s still highly embellished. The Rock really didn’t need to come back as much as people said he did. For the most part he came back because he wanted to. Brock, on the other hand, is 100% here for the money, because he has nowhere else to go. If the combination of his diverticulitis, getting his bell cracked by Shane Carwin (he did, watch the fight again, he was done after the first shot and got lucky that Carwin winded himself and couldn’t defend an arm bar) and the Mexican rage of Cain Velasquez’s fists didn’t force him out of MMA, he’d probably still be doing that and getting praised more than he actually deserves in the UFC instead of the WWE.

When Brock made his return to thunderous applause I was nothing short of f**king shocked. I’m not saying it’s not a good thing that he’s here because in the long run it is, but the fact that the audience reaction didn’t go from “Yaaay” to “Hold on, isn’t that the asshole that bailed on us for the goddamn Vikings?” to “Booo, you dickhead, BOOOO” when he lifted Cena on his shoulders was baffling to me. And on Sunday, he’s going to get cheered because he’s opposite John Cena, the one guy that does his best to try and be a role model and everyone hates his guts for it. How does this make sense?

In short, Brock Lesnar doesn’t give a shit about you or the WWE, but Chicago is going to cheer him anyway because people like assholes and they still think booing John Cena for being John Cena is f**king cool.

If 2012 has taught us anything at all, it’s that the WWE championship hierarchy has shifted dramatically. The Tag Team titles are more than worthless, the Divas belt only matters if you have ovaries or are Harvey Wippleman, Eric Young, or Andy Kaufman, the US title is now the European title but on a different continent, the IC title is a bib for The Big Show, the World Heavyweight title is now what the IC title used to be, the WWE title is what the World title used to be, and the real WWE Championship is being John Cena.

Apparently the most coveted title in the WWE at this time is beating John Cena in the main-event of a PPV, and is apparently the one thing people who haven’t wrestled in 8 years all aspire to do. Next thing you know Steve Austin is going to be in the ring with CM Punk talking about how he wants to have “one more match” against his dream opponent, and it will end with Austin asking Punk if he knows John Cena’s phone number.

• Options

This article on Rajah.com has one of the best explanations ever about what's fucked up about all of it: (spoilered for long text)
    I think I’m the only person in the WWE Universe (yuck, I suddenly feel so dirty) who wasn’t excited to see Brock Lesnar return, because unlike the majority of wrestling fans, I never really cared much for him to begin with. Don’t get me wrong, I see his value. He’s a fantastic talent and he’s one of the best heels in the business because he is a real life dick head. He’s good for business, and Vince would be stupid to turn him away.

But, he should never ever ever be cheered. Ever. Over the past year Cena talked about how The Rock abandoned the WWE and is only back for his ego and money, and while that’s true to an extent it’s still highly embellished. The Rock really didn’t need to come back as much as people said he did. For the most part he came back because he wanted to. Brock, on the other hand, is 100% here for the money, because he has nowhere else to go. If the combination of his diverticulitis, getting his bell cracked by Shane Carwin (he did, watch the fight again, he was done after the first shot and got lucky that Carwin winded himself and couldn’t defend an arm bar) and the Mexican rage of Cain Velasquez’s fists didn’t force him out of MMA, he’d probably still be doing that and getting praised more than he actually deserves in the UFC instead of the WWE.

When Brock made his return to thunderous applause I was nothing short of f**king shocked. I’m not saying it’s not a good thing that he’s here because in the long run it is, but the fact that the audience reaction didn’t go from “Yaaay” to “Hold on, isn’t that the asshole that bailed on us for the goddamn Vikings?” to “Booo, you dickhead, BOOOO” when he lifted Cena on his shoulders was baffling to me. And on Sunday, he’s going to get cheered because he’s opposite John Cena, the one guy that does his best to try and be a role model and everyone hates his guts for it. How does this make sense?

In short, Brock Lesnar doesn’t give a shit about you or the WWE, but Chicago is going to cheer him anyway because people like assholes and they still think booing John Cena for being John Cena is f**king cool.

If 2012 has taught us anything at all, it’s that the WWE championship hierarchy has shifted dramatically. The Tag Team titles are more than worthless, the Divas belt only matters if you have ovaries or are Harvey Wippleman, Eric Young, or Andy Kaufman, the US title is now the European title but on a different continent, the IC title is a bib for The Big Show, the World Heavyweight title is now what the IC title used to be, the WWE title is what the World title used to be, and the real WWE Championship is being John Cena.

Apparently the most coveted title in the WWE at this time is beating John Cena in the main-event of a PPV, and is apparently the one thing people who haven’t wrestled in 8 years all aspire to do. Next thing you know Steve Austin is going to be in the ring with CM Punk talking about how he wants to have “one more match” against his dream opponent, and it will end with Austin asking Punk if he knows John Cena’s phone number.

His argument has a huge flaw in it; The Chicago crowd last night DIDN'T cheer for Lesnar, at least not by the end.

• Options
    Ric Flair shows up drunk at his Hall of Fame induction

I WANNA MAIN EVENT AGAINST JOHN CENA

NO WAY THEY WON'T CHEER ME

WOOOO

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

Dwayne "The Homophobe" Johnson? Really? Never mind the fact that Cena and plenty of other wrestlers say the same kind of shit because the same guy writes all their jokes? Of course not. And you're delusional if you think he was promoting his movie career. If he just wanted to do that, why on earth would he even think of using the WWE to do so? It's not like they're that popular at the moment, especially compared to, you know, the movies he's appearing in. It makes no sense. At all.

Anyway, I'm betting the people complaining about Brock losing didn't actually watch the show. Brock beat the absolute shit out of Cena. He came out of it looking amazing.

Best PPV since Money in the Bank last year. Seriously, it was fucking awesome. Much better than Wrestlemania. Only real downsides were Ryback, who just outright sucks, and the end of the Bryan/Sheamus match. The latter wasn't so much because Bryan lost (though Sheamus is a pretty awful champ), since they let him look awesome, but because the finish was an anti-climax to a great match.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Did You Know?

The WWE is popular.

and yes, Cena and Punk have signed off on some blatantly homophobic stuff as well lately

Xehalus on
  • Options
    FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I'm still thinking Ace makes a Punk/Lesnar WWE title match for Over the Limit tonight. And how I would do it is Lesnar wins the title at the PPV which leads to rematches for the next two. Then Lesnar faces either Orton or Cena again at Summerslam. After that I'm not quite sure what would happen though.
    Here's an argument against Brock versus Punk. If it turns out Brock legit injured one of the biggest draws in the company, do you really want him fighting the next biggest draw at the following PPV?

• Options
    Here's an argument against Brock versus Punk. If it turns out Brock legit injured one of the biggest draws in the company, do you really want him fighting the next biggest draw at the following PPV?

It's impossible to know right now if Brock legit injured Cena last night but even so I'm sure Brock will get used to "pulling his punches" so to speak better in the coming months.

• Options
    Just saying it make sense to give Lesnar a month or two before you put him in there with Punk. Have him either go off and train, or fight somebody a little more expendable until he relearns the craft.

If the Cena injury is just a work to give Cena a much needed vacation then this is of course not an issue.

• Options
    Did You Know?

The WWE is popular.

and yes, Cena and Punk have signed off on some blatantly homophobic stuff as well lately
    You're kidding, right? Raw averages around 4-5 million people each week and Wrestlemania was bought by 1.3 million people. More people watched the fucking Tooth Fairy than that, let alone Fast Five. You'd have to completely ignore basic logic to think Rock came back to promote himself. The reality is that he grew up loving the business, saw that it was in a bit of a slump and wanted to come back, now that he was a much bigger star, to help out. And that resulted in the biggest Wrestlemania buyrate they've ever had (though it probably would've done even better if they'd built it properly).

Cena and Punk didn't sign off on anything, they're given their lines and they read them. And it hasn't been just lately, Cena's been saying that kind of shit for years.

• Options
    Wow you mean they are going to put Cena in the third Marine and not JTG? It's almost like they want the movie to be successful.

Speaking of did anyone see the Marine 2? Was it at least not that bad?

• Options
    WrasslorMonkeyWrasslorMonkey Hermosa BeachRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It's impossible to know right now if Brock legit injured Cena last night but even so I'm sure Brock will get used to "pulling his punches" so to speak better in the coming months.

lol, no. Cena's filming the Marine 3 because Orton is a deserter.

Also

Massive 900k image

WrasslorMonkey on
  • Options
    Jesus christ, your Big Show gif terrifies me.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Jesus christ, your Big Show gif terrifies me.

Big derp?

He's nothing compared to Slothback

Qoz56.jpg

WrasslorMonkey on
  • Options
    Nightmare fuel.

Quick warning though, you're not allowed to post images over 500KB unless there's a warning in the thread title. It's best to link to them instead.

But thanks for doing them, they're pretty awesome.

• Options
    yeah, he totally came back with those Journey 2 clips for funsies

• Options
    I had no problem with Rock promoting his movies. It is the profession that he earns a living on now, although I really don't think he needs the money unless he blew all his saving he built up while wrestilng full time.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Quick warning though, you're not allowed to post images over 500KB unless there's a warning in the thread title. It's best to link to them instead.
    Added to my list of arbitrary board rules to remember.
    lol, no. Cena's filming the Marine 3 because Orton is a deserter.

Silly me, I believed something I read on the internet. I guess the Marine 3 thing was BS. However, Cena in no way looked injured other than the intentional cut on his head. The way he hammed it up about leaving it was most certainly a work. I'd bet money Cena and Brock decided to get a fine for intentionally getting cut, though.

WrasslorMonkey on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I'd like to watch it again but his left arm did look messed up to me at the time.

• Options
    The reaction coming from backstage in WWE was very positive regarding how Extreme Rules came off, according to F4Wonline.com.

John Cena vs Brock Lesnar and CM Punk vs Chris Jericho were getting a lot of high praise from everyone, but while many backstage felt that the Cena vs Lesnar match was entertaining and high quality, there is a lot of disagreement with the ending. Many feel that having Lesnar lose so soon was a mistake. Many feel that it's a rare chance to take a guy coming straight from UFC, and by having him lose to Cena this early makes him just another superstar.

OK Brock isn't "just another superstar" now just because he lost. Everyone who saw that match can tell Lesnar isn't like the other guys in the least.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    However, Cena in no way looked injured other than the intentional cut on his head. The way he hammed it up about leaving it was most certainly a work. I'd bet money Cena and Brock decided to get a fine for intentionally getting cut, though.

First, his arm was definitely hurt. Rewatch the match. The impromptu promo made it clear that even he knew his arm was fucked.

Secondly, that wasn't an intentional cut on Cena's head. Maybe the cut on Brock was intentional, but Cena's cut wasn't. Watch an MMA match sometime. There are a few fighters there who have this thing where they get positioned juuuust right, throw a perfectly placed elbow where the very tip connects with skin. Even if it's not thrown as hard as it possibly can be, it'll still cut the skin 95 times out of 100. Then look at the beginning of the Cena/Brock fight, and understand that Brock threw THREE perfectly placed elbows AS HARD AS HE FUCKING CAN. Of course he was gonna bleed the hard way.

Yeah, that's the thing about Brock Lesnar: he's a dick. And he's not acting.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Did You Know?

The WWE is popular.

You're kidding, right? Raw averages around 4-5 million people each week and Wrestlemania was bought by 1.3 million people. More people watched the fucking Tooth Fairy than that, let alone Fast Five. You'd have to completely ignore basic logic to think Rock came back to promote himself. The reality is that he grew up loving the business, saw that it was in a bit of a slump and wanted to come back, now that he was a much bigger star, to help out. And that resulted in the biggest Wrestlemania buyrate they've ever had (though it probably would've done even better if they'd built it properly).

Cena and Punk didn't sign off on anything, they're given their lines and they read them. And it hasn't been just lately, Cena's been saying that kind of shit for years.

That's not true, actually. Punk has said in interviews, like his Art of Wrestling one, that he pretty much writes his own stuff. When it comes to top guys they get a lot more input into what they say, if they want it. Do you honestly think the freaking Rock of all people was given no control over his promos?

So they are not free of responsibility for saying homophobic shit. Even if it was a case where their lines were just straight up completely written for them, they could refuse to say them. Sorry dude, no free pass for any of them.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    I'm still curious as the the exact reason Cena won though. I really hope it wasn't just to prove a WWE guy can beat a UFC guy. Like I said I know Vince is really damn petty but even I don't believe he'd blow 5 million dollars on something like that. Above all else he likes making money, not losing it.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Probably because there are a lot of Cena fans who were upset when he lost to The Rock. I'd assume WWE wanted to give them something nice after Wrestlemania was such a big kick in the junk.

Not everything is about long-term builds and storylines. Sometimes it is about sending the fans home happy.

(Though cynically, it is probably because something like 5% of people thought Cena would win (according to our informal poll here on the PA Forums) and they wanted to "shock" everyone.)

FecklessRogue on
  • Options
    WWE Studios new film project, "The Marine 3: Homefront" will star The Miz in the lead role.

Originally, Randy Orton was slated to be the lead in the picture, but due to his questionable military background, he was pulled from the project.

"The Marine 3: Homefront" will tell the story of a Marine who is trying to rescue his kidnapped daughter from a terrorist. The project will be shot in June for multiple weeks in Vancouver, B.C., Canada.

The original Marine starred John Cena, while the sequel featured Ted DiBiase Jr.

Well we know Cena won't be taking time off for that. I'm actually pretty excited about this, I've wanted to see the Miz in a movie role.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Probably because there are a lot of Cena fans who were upset when he lost to The Rock. I'd assume WWE wanted to give them something nice after Wrestlemania was such a big kick in the junk.

Not everything is about long-term builds and storylines. Sometimes it is about sending the fans home happy.

(Though cynically, it is probably because something like 5% of people thought Cena would win (according to our informal poll here on the PA Forums) and they wanted to "shock" everyone.)

Well, it didn't help that before the Rock feud, he had a pointless storyline where he was second in the fans' minds/hearts to Zack Ryder.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm still curious as the the exact reason Cena won though. I really hope it wasn't just to prove a WWE guy can beat a UFC guy. Like I said I know Vince is really damn petty but even I don't believe he'd blow 5 million dollars on something like that. Above all else he likes making money, not losing it.

Because that's two PPVs in a row that the WWE has swerved the smark/smart audience.

"Everyone" knew Cena would beat the Rock.
    "Everyone" knew Brock would beat Cena.

I've seen it said in the past that Vince likes to spring surprises as surprises keeps the audience guessing and makes them tune in to see what happens next. And lets be clear here, "Chicago crowd cheering Cena" is an achievement in and of itself.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
This discussion has been closed.