As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh, [chat] is a place on Earth.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Yeah I don't even understand the way college football is managed except that it smells like poop.
    Read, and be both enlightened and appalled.

And it really isn't touched on in that article, but the bowl system is even more bullshit. UCLA last year went 6-7. Teams with losing records are not allowed to get bowl bids, which means that Western Kentucky University gets their first ever bowl bid. Isn't that awesome for them? Can you imagine how fucking thrilled those kids must have been?

But wait, we can't have a bowl season without UCLA playing. Because... you know... they're UCLA. And that's a bunch of money. So, the NCAA gives UCLA a "special dispensation" to play a bowl game in spite of their losing record, because... well, because they're UCLA. And WKU gets told to fuck the hell off.

Such fucking bullshit.

• Options
    Generally, full screen offers a better framerate than windowed.
    Yeah, having to render both the shit on the desktop and the game at the same time tends to slow things down quite a bit.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    hey guys what's generally the least intensive way to play a game? i set everything to very low- now i assume 'windowed' with a lower resolution generally provides a better framerate?

Windowed will actually severely impact your framerate. Think of it this way. Instead of having to focus on one thing (the game), now your computer will have to focus on multiple processes.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    hey guys what's generally the least intensive way to play a game? i set everything to very low- now i assume 'windowed' with a lower resolution generally provides a better framerate?

Windowed usually takes more resources than full screen. Lowered resolution, aa off, and everything set to low usually will help.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

fullscreen d3d beats windowed mode in the same resolution beats frameless window at a higher resolution

blitting a windowed app onto the buffer is itself costly, albeit less so than resolutions generally are

what are you running, anyway, usually AA and resolution are the big spenders

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    oh ok i will set it that way then

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    hey guys, should I make a thread letting people here know that 3-day PAX badges sold out in like four hours already? I know a lot of people in D&D do care, and wouldn't want to miss at least the 1-day badges, but might not think they needed to pounce that fast and monitor the PAX site and forums that closely?
    I wonder how much of that is scalpers?

I bought a Friday and Saturday pass, even though I'm fairly sure I have a friend with a spare three-day. Probably end up reselling those.

According to the twitter, average sale size was only 1.7 (max of 5).

So some, probably, but not as much as we'd like to think. It really just sells out that fast now.

I'll be surprised if Saturday badges make it to the weekend.

Scalpers regularly employ large groups of people to get the tickets because of per-person maximums. What would be more telling is how many of those sales were 5 ticket sales? Bet you 90% of those sales are to scalpers.

I suspect scalpers, while a problem, are a tiny percentage of overall ticket sales.

PAX is very, very, very popular and becomes more popular each year. It is also very cheap, so the requirements for entry are extremely low and attendance is easy to manage (aside from buying a ticket, of course).

There is a good solution to this, of course, but "raising prices" doesn't really have that "FUCK THE MAN!" feeling.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Hey, Organichu.

Windowed mode uses more resources than fullscreen mode.

Just letting you know.

In case, y'know, nobody told you.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    hey guys, should I make a thread letting people here know that 3-day PAX badges sold out in like four hours already? I know a lot of people in D&D do care, and wouldn't want to miss at least the 1-day badges, but might not think they needed to pounce that fast and monitor the PAX site and forums that closely?

I bought a Friday and Saturday pass, even though I'm fairly sure I have a friend with a spare three-day. Probably end up reselling those.

So some, probably, but not as much as we'd like to think. It really just sells out that fast now.

Scalpers regularly employ large groups of people to get the tickets because of per-person maximums. What would be more telling is how many of those sales were 5 ticket sales? Bet you 90% of those sales are to scalpers.

I suspect scalpers, while a problem, are a tiny percentage of overall ticket sales.

PAX is very, very, very popular and becomes more popular each year. It is also very cheap, so the requirements for entry are extremely low and attendance is easy to manage (aside from buying a ticket, of course).

There is a good solution to this, of course, but "raising prices" doesn't really have that "FUCK THE MAN!" feeling.

Are there larger locations in Seattle that they could use?

• Options
    Feral wrote: »
    Hey, Organichu.

Windowed mode uses more resources than fullscreen mode.

Just letting you know.

In case, y'know, nobody told you.

Look who's late to the advice party.

• Options

One of the things that PAX is supposed to be about is being accessible to the masses.

I think the smarter thing would be to sell only one-day passes, honestly, and have a few repeat panels and things in order to discourage people from going all three days, and allow more people to attend.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i'm playing skyrim

last time around it worked ok, after tinkering i got it to a steady 25-30 fps

this time around though i think i'm only getting in the high teens

let me see if i have the newest drivers

• Options

One of the things that PAX is supposed to be about is being accessible to the masses.

I think the smarter thing would be to sell only one-day passes, honestly, and have a few repeat panels and things in order to discourage people from going all three days, and allow more people to attend.

This is a good idea.

• Options
    We just got our first baby present. My sister bought us a newborn onesie that says "Honeybadger Don't Care." Oh yeah, start them on their memes while they're young.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

I don't think so. At least not any good ones.

And raising prices for 3-day badges makes sense. Somebody pointed out that right now 3-day passes cost less that two one-day badges...so somebody only attending Fri/Sat actually has the incentive to buy a 30day badge and sell/scalp/trash it on Sunday. That's ridiculous.

3-Day badges should absolutely cost more than two 1-Day badges (and less than three).

Plus it's obvious that prices probably should be higher regardless, though nobody likes that idea.

And it isn't just scalpers. I actually had the twitter sending me SMS notifications because I wanted to make sure I got mine. I've never bothered before. So some of it is rabid fans making sure they have a chair when the music stops.

• Options
    And fuck fuck fuck college football.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    All I'm saying is I can't be two places at once. I can't!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options

I tried to explain that selling less 3-Day badges and more 1-Day badges lets more discrete humans attend, thus following Wheaton's Law, over on the PAX forum. Deaf ears.

• Options
    Generally, full screen offers a better framerate than windowed.
    Yeah, having to render both the shit on the desktop and the game at the same time tends to slow things down quite a bit.

I have you covered for PAX.

I did pick up two Saturdays on the assumption that I can think of a few people who should have bought passes already but haven't.

• Options

I tried to explain that selling less 3-Day badges and more 1-Day badges lets more discrete humans attend, thus following Wheaton's Law, over on the PAX forum. Deaf ears.

Send Khoo a suggestion?

• Options
    Raising badge prices is the single most potent change to fight scalping PAX could make.

It directly cuts into a scalper's profit margin and greatly reduces their theoretical negotiating power.

Its also not a popular solution for many reasons, but I do hope PAX passes start to cost something a little more in line with the service provided. $65 for a 3 day pass is just stupid cheap.

• Options
    patent cold war has gone hot :O

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »

Link. Link!

• Options

Send Khoo a suggestion?

Planning on it, actually.

Also, getting angrier and angrier reading about bowl games.

• Options

Not really, not unless they did something weird like renting out multiple adjacent buildings and trying to tie them all together.

Unless you go to LA, the Washington State Convention Center is pretty much the biggest game on the west coast, or one of the biggest, and its the biggest in the Pacific Northwest.

So hooray nerd power.

• Options

Not really, not unless they did something weird like renting out multiple adjacent buildings and trying to tie them all together.

Unless you go to LA, the Washington State Convention Center is pretty much the biggest game on the west coast, or one of the biggest, and its the biggest in the Pacific Northwest.

So hooray nerd power.
    They could use the annex that they stuck HaloFest in last year. It's right there.

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Did any of you read that piece on military FPS's and how they portray soldiers where the guy was arguing that the portrayal is white-washed and neglects to portray many military personnel as the psychotic fuckers they really are? I remember reading something like that but I can't find it anywhere.

is it this

http://www.mediumdifficulty.com/2012/03/01/call-of-apathy-violent-young-men-and-our-place-in-war/

Yep! that's the one! Thanks!

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

Link. Link!

I think he might be talking about the potential banning of the XBox 360 and Windows 7 in Germany?

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/business-it/german-court-ruling-against-microsoft-threatens-xbox-windows-7-20120503-1y0f6.html

• Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
  • Options

To be honest, if you can't afford $100-ish for a 3 day pass I doubt you have enough disposable income to make a trip to Seattle in support of a tech-focused and expensive hobby. I realize plenty of people squeeze pennies to make it happen, but for most people attending PAX the cost of the ticket is fairly small compared to the cost of trip.

Right now, the tickets are sold based on:

-Who clicks first

and

-Who pays $65

Raising the price would just adjust that equilibrium so "clicking first" is less important as the "pay X" amount becomes the more deciding factor.

I realize that raising prices is an extremely unpopular solution, but is "give tickets to people who are best at camping the website" a better solution?

I have no personal stake in this, because I like cheap tickets, I can afford more expensive tickets, and UNLIKE A CERTAIN FORUMER I KNOW I was responsible and purchased my 3 day pass as soon as it was available to prevent missing out.

• Options

Link. Link!

there's the apple-samsung one that has gone on for a while, but Nokia has just launched at HTC, RIM, and Viewsonic

as of August last year most were tangling with Apple:

PATENT_CI.jpg

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    just solod rounds 4 5 and 6 of geth silver because everybody left for some reason

Psn:wazukki
  • Options

Link. Link!

I think he might be talking about the potential banning of the XBox 360 and Windows 7 in Germany?

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/business-it/german-court-ruling-against-microsoft-threatens-xbox-windows-7-20120503-1y0f6.html

If it's that, Microsoft already got an injunction against Samsung in the U.S. barring their enforcement of the ban.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    To be honest, if you can't afford $100-ish for a 3 day pass I doubt you have enough disposable income to make a trip to Seattle in support of a tech-focused and expensive hobby. I realize plenty of people squeeze pennies to make it happen, but for most people attending PAX the cost of the ticket is fairly small compared to the cost of trip.

-Who clicks first

and

-Who pays $65

Raising the price would just adjust that equilibrium so "clicking first" is less important as the "pay X" amount becomes the more deciding factor.

I realize that raising prices is an extremely unpopular solution, but is "give tickets to people who are best at camping the website" a better solution?

I have no personal stake in this, because I like cheap tickets, I can afford more expensive tickets, and UNLIKE A CERTAIN FORUMER I KNOW I was responsible and purchased my 3 day pass as soon as it was available to prevent missing out.
    I went to buy mine as soon as you said something. Registration had already gone down.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Link. Link!

there's the apple-samsung one that has gone on for a while, but Nokia has just launched at HTC, RIM, and Viewsonic

PATENT_CI.jpg

Only one company is sueing Google?

That surprises me.

• Options

Link. Link!

PATENT_CI.jpg

:shock:

• Options
    and all of these patent cases will likely be argued in front of judges who don't know how to sign up for gmail.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

Link. Link!

If it's that, Microsoft already got an injunction against Samsung in the U.S. barring their enforcement of the ban.

I know, but it's still kind of big.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Time to listen to my favourite song about Persia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ7NVjZ-Eyg

• Options

-Who clicks first

and

-Who pays $65

nitpick: saying "not many people will be squeezed out" is inconsistent with "raising the price will reduce demand"

aRkpc.gif
This discussion has been closed.