As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

alien 3: a pretty interesting movie, even if bad

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Predator 2 is an amazing film stuck in the most horrible setting.

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    I don't care for 2 that much but robocop 1 is one of my favorite movies along with terminator 2

basically cyborg movies own

robocop 2 also had a hodgepodge of scripts that just got slapped together to cash in on robocop

robocop on the other hand is an amazing satire of the 80s

robocop 2 rules just as much and is a great satire of what the 90s would become

ehhhhh

robocop 2 is fun but not nearly as good of a movie as robocop

which manages to be an incredibly smart movie disguised as an incredibly dumb one

• Options
    TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    My argument is that I would call Hollow Man, Showgirls and Basic Instinct of a lesser, trashier, rapier, ilk than Robocop, Total Recall, and Starship Troopers. Though, it's a lot harder to actually call Total Recall good when you listen to the Commentary. Oh, god, the commentary. We'll just ignore that for now.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I remember I found Striptease on a VHS as a teen.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    blade has the best use of CGI

wesley snipes wouldn't open his eyes

so they had to CGI in him blinking from another shot

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Oh crap, this thread is going to force me to go watch Alien 3 again....thanks a lot guys.... THANKS A LOT! D:<

Chimera on
  • Options
    TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    Striptease, the movie that people confuse as Showgirls.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    striptease always bummed me out because I forgot demi moore does not have a sexy voice at all before watching it

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    You know what sequel is way different than the original? Gremlins 2. When I was a kid I saw 2 and thought it was amazing and then saw the first one and was like "eh". I'll have to watch them again and see what I think of them now.

Apparently the studio approached Joe Dante, who directed the first one, and said "hey can you come back and do a sequel?" and he was like "no" and they were like "please?" and he was like "well, okay, but only if you let me do whatever I want."

wandering on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Gremlins 2 was friggin' loony tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jHhLIx6Ib4

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Alien Cubed gave me nightmares as a kid, but the end theme of Aliens used to haunt me for most of my childhood -- it was, of course, my sister's favorite movie.

good scifi of the last decade-ish: Moon, Primer, District 9, Attack the Block, Electric Dragon 80000v, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Children of Men, The Host, The Fountain, 28 Days Later, Timecrimes, Inception
    of course, there's the full-on rocket jockey swashbuckly or action scifi of Pitch Black, Night Watch, Returner, District B-13, Iron Man, Tron: Legacy, Star Trek. the weirdlings and comedy: Interstella 5555, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Space Cowboys (silly name, but i remember enjoying it when i saw it in the theater.) these are more based on spectacle than mindfuckery or contemplation; the list above the spoiler is movies that i feel have an underlying question or statement about humanity that drives or even derails the plot, whereas the spectacle of the latter two lists is what moves us through the story. haven't really parsed this, just wanted to recommend some scifi i've liked or respected.

i haven't seen Wall-E, Sleep Dealer, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, The Road, Redline, Donnie Darko, Sunshine, Paprika, Book of Eli, or Pan's Labyrinth, so if they should be included, whoops! i'll get to them, eventually.
    you want a mindbending double feature, watch Primer, then Electric Dragon 80000v. or maybe it was the other way 'round...

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I wanna say Short Circuit and Short Circuit 2 but those movies are so old I don't even remember them.

Except for Johnny #5 with a mowhawk.

Also Cube was awesome.

RT800 on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    pooka wrote: »
    Alien Cubed gave me nightmares as a kid, but the end theme of Aliens used to haunt me for most of my childhood -- it was, of course, my sister's favorite movie.

good scifi of the last decade-ish: Moon, Primer, District 9, Attack the Block, Electric Dragon 80000v, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Children of Men, The Host, The Fountain, 28 Days Later, Timecrimes, Inception
    of course, there's the full-on rocket jockey swashbuckly or action scifi of Pitch Black, Night Watch, Returner, District B-13, Iron Man, Tron: Legacy, Star Trek. the weirdlings and comedy: Interstella 5555, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Space Cowboys (silly name, but i remember enjoying it when i saw it in the theater.) these are more based on spectacle than mindfuckery or contemplation; the list above the spoiler is movies that i feel have an underlying question or statement about humanity that drives or even derails the plot, whereas the spectacle of the latter two lists is what moves us through the story. haven't really parsed this, just wanted to recommend some scifi i've liked or respected.

i haven't seen Wall-E, Sleep Dealer, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, The Road, Redline, Donnie Darko, Sunshine, Paprika, Book of Eli, or Pan's Labyrinth, so if they should be included, whoops! i'll get to them, eventually.
    you want a mindbending double feature, watch Primer, then Electric Dragon 80000v.

pooka ya make good posts

• Options
    edited May 2012
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Gremlins 2 was friggin' loony tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jHhLIx6Ib4

it literally was

joe dante wanted to make a looney toons movie and WB told him to pound salt you get gremlins 2 joe

so joe dante said fine y'all can suck my king sized nuts and went ahead and made an incredible, insane movie with some of the best puppet work and practicals in AGES

he literally made a looney toons cartoon but with the gremlin puppets

Buttlord on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    You know what sequel is way different than the original? Gremlins 2. When I was a kid I saw 2 and thought it was amazing and then saw the first one and was like "eh". I'll have to watch them again and see what I think of them now.

Apparently the studio approached Joe Dante, who directed the first one, and said "hey can you come back and do a sequel?" and he was like "no" and they were like "please?" and he was like "well, okay, but only if you let me do whatever I want."

I've never heard of anyone preferring 2 to the original.

Not that 2 is bad but tonally they might as well not be related to each other.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

I've never heard of anyone preferring 2 to the original.

Not that 2 is bad but tonally they might as well not be related to each other.

Man.

That "Civilization" speech. I love it so much.

• Options
    true story joe dante eventually got to direct a looney toons movie

he was behind Back In Action, starring brendan frasier

it rules

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular

it rules

I actually watched it like 4 weeks ago, it wasn't that good.

Like as a kids movie, sure i guess. but enjoying it was an adult that is basically a child, eh, it had some moments.

• Options
    pooka wrote: »

you want a mindbending double feature, watch Primer, then Electric Dragon 80000v.

pooka ya make good posts

daps.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Melding wrote: »

it rules

Like as a kids movie, sure i guess. but enjoying it was an adult that is basically a child, eh, it had some moments.

it's better than it has any right to be, i thought

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I really have no coherent idea what actually happens in any of the Alien movies because when I saw any of them I was too young and probably didn't even watch them the whole way through. I don't even know which ones I've seen parts of for sure.

I guess maybe I should watch them?

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options

it rules

i don't know, it's not as good as space jam. and space jam had no right to be good at all.

• Options
    speaking of things that own i am watching some old-ass sentai from the late 70s/early 80s and it's exactly the right amount of cheesy humor and low budget effects and kickin' rad fight scenes

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    End wrote: »
    I really have no coherent idea what actually happens in any of the Alien movies because when I saw any of them I was too young and probably didn't even watch them the whole way through. I don't even know which ones I've seen parts of for sure.

I guess maybe I should watch them?

Alien and Aliens, definitely.

The others, it's a personal judgement call.

• Options

it rules

i don't know, it's not as good as space jam. and space jam had no right to be good at all.

that's a good point

also turns out event horizon is probably responsible for like 70% of the deep-seated fears i have

cool

• Options
    i've seen event horizon and don't remember it at all.

• Options

it rules

space jam had michael jordan in it though

you can't mess with michael jordan

• Options
    holy shit a guy just got his hand cut off

this is a fuckin children's show and one of the hero's just chopped a dude's hand off

what the hell

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    ugh 28 days later was okay until the second part when it was trying to bludgeon the not very interesting social commentary into your skull as hard as possible

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

I remember bits and pieces.

But I barely remember the plot.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Alien and Aliens, definitely.

The others, it's a personal judgement call.

Well, I added Alien, Aliens and Alien^3 to my netflix queue

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    I remember it being sweet as though.

• Options

it rules

I love the scene where they nab him out of the real world.

I don't know why but I do.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Jars wrote: »
    ugh 28 days later was okay until the second part when it was trying to bludgeon the not very interesting social commentary into your skull as hard as possible

yeah, that was heavyhanded, but it was nice before all that, and some of the after.
    edit: what a useless statement, off to bed soon.

the movie did best when it wasn't blatantly espousing commentary, ie, the activists freeing the animals, the message of hope reveal; showing the empty cities, the loneliness but also beauty of such desolation was new to me in what was, ostensibly, a horror movie. watching these characters come together and deal with horrible shit, with only those elements, would have made it a stronger movie, i think. i haven't seen it in a long time, though, so i could be way off mark; plus, i am a wussy wuss, and have not seen all that many horror movies.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options

theres a lot of disturbing stuff in it

• Options
    edited May 2012

theres a lot of disturbing stuff in it

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    I've only seem twenty eight weeks later.

It was, really, really bad.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »

it rules

I love the scene where they nab him out of the real world.

I don't know why but I do.

you love it because it's just the goofiest damn thing known to man

also larry's not white. larry is clear

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    fortunately dawn of the dead came out not much longer after