Options

a triple turtle [chat]

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    if i am to buy either cryptonomicon or neuromancer, to brush up on my nerd history, which one should i get

neuromancer

Not even a contest

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    the phrase "nerd cool" makes me shrink back and hiss like a repulsed vampire

i was feeling like getting some Dan Simmons but all of the books in his series after the first ones are unsatisfying

well it's about hackers and the like

you'll probably like it

i actually can't tell if this post is serious

maybe it's because my concept of the term "hacker" is corrupted by too much shitty television

You mean hacking a computer doesn't involve virtual reality 3D wireframes of Angelina Jolie?

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    ok now people tell me how to build my computer

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

It's easy! Put the thing in the other thing, and then plug in the other thing!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Snow Crash was actually published about the same time the World Wide Web was being invented. And long before it was widely known even in academic circles let along to the public.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Snow Crash is probably Neal Stephenson's best book

I really enjoyed The Diamond Age, but it does have that issue his books tend to have

the whole "wait that was the ending?" thing

• Options

Make sure you have extra allen wrenchs. From my experience building things this is a very important step.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular

http://pcpartpicker.com/

for price checking

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    if i am to buy either cryptonomicon or neuromancer, to brush up on my nerd history, which one should i get

neuromancer

Not even a contest

done.

the interviews i've read involving gibson have made him seem quite insightful so i'm sure it will be interesting.

• Options
    EM just read the goddamn books

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

To get good info about computer purchases you need to decide either how much you want to spend or what is the minimum you want it to be able to do (eg: "run game X at max settings"). If you don't nail one one of the variables (preferably price) it's not really possible to say what purchase would be best.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Snow Crash was actually published about the same time the World Wide Web was being invented. And long before it was widely known even in academic circles let along to the public.

yo dog Burroughs invented the internet in 1959 in Naked Lunch

FACT

So It Goes on
  • Options
    2012-05-02-beartato-hackthedatabase.png

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    there's an awesome computer build thread in the tech forum

though I'd help here if I knew anything

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    simonwolf wrote: »

I really enjoyed The Diamond Age, but it does have that issue his books tend to have

this happens to a lot of very successful authors

it's just really hard to write a good ending

and the better the stuff you've written leading up to it, the harder it is to do it justice

• Options

yo dog Burroughs invented the internet in 1959 in Naked Lunch

FACT

World Wide Web is very different from the internet.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

To get good info about computer purchases you need to decide either how much you want to spend or what is the minimum you want it to be able to do (eg: "run game X at max settings"). If you don't nail one one of the variables (preferably price) it's not really possible to say what purchase would be best.

run Diablo III at max or close to it

not explode

• Options

and the better the stuff you've written leading up to it, the harder it is to do it justice

performance issues

trouble finishing

etc.

• Options
    Variable wrote: »

it's intimidating

I ask my noob questions here first

• Options
    edited May 2012

not explode

laptop? If not, then do you have anything from an old computer you can reuse like monitors, keyboard, mouse, windows license, DVD drive etc... Those little things add up.

edit: oh and of course are you looking to buy parts and assemble yourself or buy something prebuilt with a warranty?

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

not explode

laptop? If not, then do you have anything from an old computer you can reuse like monitors, keyboard, mouse, windows license, DVD drive etc... Those little things add up.

oh yeah I've got my computer and monitor

I just want to get an actual video card, new power supply, and add some RAM

but I dunno about video cards!

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

it's intimidating

I ask my noob questions here first
    http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3458091

updated with diablo 3 in mind

• Options

performance issues

trouble finishing

etc.

so you're saying the author should do some really enjoyable linguistic tricks right at the start so you're, you know, satisfied from the get go and revved up for the rest of it

and then when he can't finish the book, you're already mostly asleep from the convulsive force of your reading enjoyment that you don't really care and he can go make up his own ending in the bathroom

right

that's what you meant i think

• Options

performance issues

trouble finishing

etc.

so you're saying the author should do some really enjoyable linguistic tricks right at the start so you're, you know, satisfied from the get go and revved up for the rest of it

and then when he can't finish the book, you're already mostly asleep from the convulsive force of your reading enjoyment that you don't really care and he can go make up his own ending in the bathroom

right

that's what you meant i think

I think the author just needs to relax and do what feels good

• Options

not explode

yeah, video card market changes so bloody fast it's crazy.

Well as a starting point checking out Newegg and sorting by "best rating" is pretty handy.

One thing I've found with motherboards and ram is that every motherboard has a list of specific RAM brands and model #s that they have tested as working on that board (usually on the website for the mobo manufacturer). I always buy off that list even if its a few bucks more. So worth it as minor RAM incompatability differences (like voltage) are a horrible pain to diagnose.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    So I picked up Perdido Street Station but stalled out about thirty pages in. Someone tell me something great about it to get me reinterested.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    God it is painful to watch Gasol right now

He is so out of the game : (

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

not explode

It's not usually that easy to "add ram", or simply plug in a video card. Unfortunately.

If your computer is a pre-built deal (Dell or the like), then odds are good it wasn't designed with "upgrade later" in mind. If that's the case, you'll pretty much need a brand new everything; the good news is, a mid-range is pretty cheap. I think I spent around 700 a few years ago, and I was going for a little over mid-range.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

If you go to the computer building thread, list what you have and what your budget is, you'll probably come out of it with a complete computer and $100 bucks under budget.

Sorry, saw this was already mentioned. But they're nice, I swear.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    So I picked up Perdido Street Station but stalled out about thirty pages in. Someone tell me something great about it to get me reinterested.

i think mieville is wildly overrated

i know i'm not helping

• Options

not explode

yeah, video card market changes so bloody fast it's crazy.

Well as a starting point checking out Newegg and sorting by "best rating" is pretty handy.

One thing I've found with motherboards and ram is that every motherboard has a list of specific RAM brands and model #s that they have tested as working on that board (usually on the website for the mobo manufacturer). I always buy off that list even if its a few bucks more. So worth it as minor RAM incompatability differences (like voltage) are a horrible pain to diagnose.

oh nice I will check into that for my RAM

here is approximately customer rated tops on TigerDIrect http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=41125&CatId=3669

newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625 (same thing?)

• Options
    authors who relax and do what feels good write fanfiction

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Tamin wrote: »

not explode

It's not usually that easy to "add ram", or simply plug in a video card. Unfortunately.

If your computer is a pre-built deal (Dell or the like), then odds are good it wasn't designed with "upgrade later" in mind. If that's the case, you'll pretty much need a brand new everything; the good news is, a mid-range is pretty cheap. I think I spent around 700 a few years ago, and I was going for a little over mid-range.

it was built by me with help from someone else, with upgrade later in mind

so I don't really want a whole new one right now

I know I can get a very appreciable upgrade by getting an actual video card

So It Goes on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

i know i'm not helping

I'm still so damn conflicted on The City and The City.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    When I want to build a PC, I just do a google search on what people have said is a good build (seriously), buy those components and put them together. I would be happy to assist with the putting together part, I'm probably not the best person to ask about the "what to buy" part because I don't keep close tabs on the different innovations. But putting together a PC is much easier than it might seem, especially with today's components.

Although I will say this about the buying part: While they are a bit pricy, I HIGHLY recommend Corisair cases. It makes everything so very much easier.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I prolly need to build a new one sophist too

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

not explode

it was built by me with help from someone else, with upgrade later in mind

so I don't really want a whole new one right now

I know I can get a very appreciable upgrade by getting an actual video card

Oh, good. Didn't mean to insult, but I wasn't sure - you named yourself noob, after all. :)

• Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular

i know i'm not helping

Not hurting either. I'm not looking for perfect, just decent characters or plot in a fantastical setting.

So far I don't give a shit about fatty or his buggy girlfriend.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    I ditched my Dell computer in 2008

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I need a new videocard because the fan on it has an irritating habit of randomly deciding it doesn't need to spin.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

This discussion has been closed.