Options

The Avengers! or why a Justice League film can't succeed!

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    exist wrote: »
    Yeah, that's also true. Also because of Loki's expression after.
    It wasn't so much the expression in the theatre I was in. Nobody actually laughed until after Loki gave that little groan. They were genuinely shocked by the fact that he could be dead, but as soon as he groaned, it was the cue that he was going to be ok. He just had some of his pride knocked out of him.

I would imagine that there is a chance that they can die, though. Thor definitely took things seriously when
    he was falling from the Helicarrier in the prison container.
    I think, to some degree, they don't really know how exactly how mortal/immortal they are.
    They can get the shit beaten out of them, that's for sure. And there is some technological/magic reason for their invulnerability.

I mean, it's obvious that Loki was done with fighting when Hulk went to town on him. Just want a drink, etc. Thor might have just wanted to avoid getting the shit kicked out of him.

And that one guy got stabbed on the ice giant planet and they were concerned for his safety.

Thor spoilers
    From the film I got the impression Frost Giants had similar power levels to Asgardians. That's why when an Asgardian, Fandral?, got stabbed it was a dire emergency.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    moocow wrote: »
    I have a tangentially related story!

Just saw Avengers tonight.
    My step-mother was one of those odd people who thought it was HILARIOUS when Hulk picked up Loki and slammed him around on the ground. Like, the theater erupted in laughter. I told her that I thought it was disturbing that everyone was laughing at a dude getting savagely beaten.

I mean, yeah, beat the shit out of Loki, he pretty much deserves it, but I don't see how it was as side-splittingly funny as the rest of the theater did. She related our conversation about that to her brother when we got home, and he told me, with anger in his voice, that I "read too much liberal bullshit."

Then he started talking about how that's what the american people want to do all these dictators. The man watches way too much Fox News.

Movie was super great though.

About 5 or 10 minutes in, I thought to myself after listening to a pithy one-liner or two "Oh yeeeah, Whedon did this."

Also, I don't dig the whole Cinema Cafe idea. I want to focus on a movie I see in a theater, and I want to focus on a meal in a restaurant, I don't want to split my attention between the two. Regular theaters for me from now on!

I think its entirely possible you read too much into that scene. My .02,
    Loki
    deserved absolutely no pity at that point in the film. And yeah, everyone cheered in my theater too. That doesn't mean we're avid listeners of Rush Limbaugh. And yes, comic book violence is *hilarious* when done right.

You also seem to have missed that one of the biggest laughs in Captain America was Steve mentioning casually that he knocked out Adolph Hitler over 200 times. At least when I saw it.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I was definitely one of the people who laughed in the theater, followed by a fist pump at

"Puny god."

Hulk's had four words of dialogue in the entirety of his appearance in this universe, but they've always been the best.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Also, big spoiler for the movie
    but they plant plenty of seeds for the "Coulson not actually dead" concept.

Coulson straight up says "They need something to rally behind" then the paramedics rush in.

Fury tosses down the cards covered in blood and says they were in his pocket, but they were actually from his locker.

Fury repeats the line about them needing something to rally behind.

So yeah it could easily be all a big hoax to get the kids to play together.
    I think that would really ruin the effort he made and cheapen it a great deal, so I kind of hope they let him stay dead. He got to shoot Loki and allowed the team to really around someone really important, the man who quite literally assembled the Avengers. He went out like a boss, let his moment go un-fiddled with.

Well
    I'm saying they plant enough seeds for it to be there. It's not an extremely far out response. It's just the kind of manipulative subterfuge I'd expect from Fury.

And it's that dichotomy of wanting the death to mean something and having finality to the arc and wanting to see that character in more shit.

Dammit Whedon!
    I don't think you're wrong about that, but I feel like Whedon would be cranky about "lol comic book death".I would much rather see him in shorts before the next movie or on Youtube where he actually does field work before the rounding up (or in between?!) of the Avengers rather than have him magick'd back to life for A2.

• Options
    Also, big spoiler for the movie
    but they plant plenty of seeds for the "Coulson not actually dead" concept.

Coulson straight up says "They need something to rally behind" then the paramedics rush in.

Fury tosses down the cards covered in blood and says they were in his pocket, but they were actually from his locker.

Fury repeats the line about them needing something to rally behind.

So yeah it could easily be all a big hoax to get the kids to play together.
    I think that would really ruin the effort he made and cheapen it a great deal, so I kind of hope they let him stay dead. He got to shoot Loki and allowed the team to really around someone really important, the man who quite literally assembled the Avengers. He went out like a boss, let his moment go un-fiddled with.

Well
    I'm saying they plant enough seeds for it to be there. It's not an extremely far out response. It's just the kind of manipulative subterfuge I'd expect from Fury.

And it's that dichotomy of wanting the death to mean something and having finality to the arc and wanting to see that character in more shit.

Dammit Whedon!
    I don't think you're wrong about that, but I feel like Whedon would be cranky about "lol comic book death".I would much rather see him in shorts before the next movie or on Youtube where he actually does field work before the rounding up (or in between?!) of the Avengers rather than have him magick'd back to life for A2.
    There's a third option to bring Coulson back to "life", Life Model Decoys.

• Options
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    My step-mother was one of those odd people who thought it was HILARIOUS when Hulk picked up Loki and slammed him around on the ground. Like, the theater erupted in laughter. I told her that I thought it was disturbing that everyone was laughing at a dude getting savagely beaten.

I mean, yeah, beat the shit out of Loki, he pretty much deserves it, but I don't see how it was as side-splittingly funny as the rest of the theater did. She related our conversation about that to her brother when we got home, and he told me, with anger in his voice, that I "read too much liberal bullshit."

Then he started talking about how that's what the american people want to do all these dictators. The man watches way too much Fox News.

To be fair, you completely missed the comedy cue in that scene. Everyone else saw it and picked up on it; you did not.

HINT: it was not funny just because a dude was being savagely beaten.

i don't think it counts as a savage beating if you don't actually get hurt.

He looked a little worse for wear right at the end, there.

Bruises and shit, y'know? Like he'd just been KO'd in a Boxing match. Just cause most fighters walk away from the ring doesn't mean you can't get seriously injured or even die in there.
    Plus I guess he's not technically an Asguardian, so he might be more or less (in)vulnerable than they are.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'm a little confused by your guys talk of Asgardian vitality & such.

I think there are certain tiers to this (primarily based off plot).

Odin>Thor (maybe Heimdall is here)>Loki>Warrior's Three & Sif > Asgardian trophy room guards

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

Odin>Thor (maybe Heimdall is here)>Loki>Warrior's Three & Sif > Asgardian trophy room guards

I just noticed your Av/Sig combo.

Now I can't stop imagining Agent Coulson dirty dancing to Black Eyed Peas "I Got a Feelin'".

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    As you shouldn't because I am willing to bet Clark Gregg is one mean dancer.

• Options
    edited May 2012

You got it. The thing is that's not strictly limited to Asgardians in the MCU,
    Frost Giants
    are physically strong enough to match them physically, aside from
    Odin and possibly Heimdall. I'd place Heimdall above Thor. Those guys are crazy powerful.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

You got it. The thing is that's not strictly limited to Asgardians in the MCU,
    Frost Giants
    are physically strong enough to match them physically, aside from
    Odin and possibly Heimdall. I'd place Heimdall above Thor. Those guys are crazy powerful.

I always liked the theory that from the line spoken from Loki in Thor, "You wield great power, Heimdall. Tell me, did Odin fear you?" leads to the idea that Heimdall is really, really powerful. Like how once he's frozen by Loki the Frost Giants who watch him don't try to kill him.

Maybe they don't try to kill him because such an act would be impossible!?!?!

• Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    clearly this is Satan's work

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular

To be fair, you completely missed the comedy cue in that scene. Everyone else saw it and picked up on it; you did not.

True 'nuff. Though, to be fair, the manner in which he was beaten was pretty savage, even though the sum of his injuries was the equivalent of a broken nail.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Guys i am so excited about Guardians of the Galaxy

I have not shut up about it since i heard it was being made

• Options
    401758_10100802541208039_25829892_51833994_1850816879_n.jpg

• Options
    Binary SquidBinary Squid We all make choices Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    exist wrote: »
    Yeah, that's also true. Also because of Loki's expression after.
    It wasn't so much the expression in the theatre I was in. Nobody actually laughed until after Loki gave that little groan. They were genuinely shocked by the fact that he could be dead, but as soon as he groaned, it was the cue that he was going to be ok. He just had some of his pride knocked out of him.

I would imagine that there is a chance that they can die, though. Thor definitely took things seriously when
    he was falling from the Helicarrier in the prison container.
    I think, to some degree, they don't really know how exactly how mortal/immortal they are.
    I'd have to agree there. But, I'd imagine they do probably consider themselves to be killable until they find out differently. I don't think any Asgardian would want their last words to be "I'm Invincib....URK!"

You know, I was just watching Goldeneye the other day.

Heh, exactly. If you're going to have a catchphrase like that, it'd better be true, or when the Law of Averages catches up with you...

In this case, the Law of Averages let Loki off with a warning, delivered by an angry green messenger.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    401758_10100802541208039_25829892_51833994_1850816879_n.jpg

Wonderful

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I felt that in the Thor movie, it depicted Thor as the greatest fighter in Asgard; Heimdall and Odin were perhaps more powerful thanks to wisdom and handwavum, but in actual combat presence, Thor had potentially surpassed both of those for sheer 'win battle' power.

Or to put it another way, I thought some of the drama came from the fact that Thor knew how to fight, even better than his father - but his indomitably on the battlefield was also his flaw; he knew how to fight, but not when or why. The humility to learn that can only come from the weakness of failure and frailty, as Odin learned when he lost an eye and people died by the score. Whereas in the same situation, Thor might never have lost that eye. Lost the battle, perhaps, because Odin bring so much more than just a spear, but his eye would be intact.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Fishman wrote: »
    I felt that in the Thor movie, it depicted Thor as the greatest fighter in Asgard; Heimdall and Odin were perhaps more powerful thanks to wisdom and handwavum, but in actual combat presence, Thor had potentially surpassed both of those for sheer 'win battle' power.

Or to put it another way, I thought some of the drama came from the fact that Thor knew how to fight, even better than his father - but his indomitably on the battlefield was also his flaw; he knew how to fight, but not when or why. The humility to learn that can only come from the weakness of failure and frailty, as Odin learned when he lost an eye and people died by the score. Whereas in the same situation, Thor might never have lost that eye. Lost the battle, perhaps, because Odin bring so much more than just a spear, but his eye would be intact.
    Odin needed to be written out for Loki's plan to stand a chance in succeeding. He's similar to Professor X in the X-men movies, he's too powerful to effect the story so he needs to be taken off the board for the villain to win. Same with Heimdall to a lesser extent. Loki on kept him contained by relying on his honor and Asgardian royalty protocol. That's why Heimdall let the Warrior's Three & Sif go to Earth via Bifront Bridge rather than walking up to Loki and smashing his face in when he took the throne.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

I seem to recall bearing witness to some pretty sweet moves in that forum battle video.

• Options

True 'nuff. Though, to be fair, the manner in which he was beaten was pretty savage, even though the sum of his injuries was the equivalent of a broken nail.
    I'm telling you, the guy looked an awful lot like he just went 12 rounds with Holyfield. Putting that much ass-whuppin' into 5 seconds isn't anything to sneeze at,
    god or no.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited May 2012

I seem to recall bearing witness to some pretty sweet moves in that forum battle video.

Indeed I do.
    zonugal6.gif

Zonugal on
  • Options
    Binary SquidBinary Squid We all make choices Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

I'm telling you, the guy looked an awful lot like he just went 12 rounds with Holyfield. Putting that much ass-whuppin' into 5 seconds isn't anything to sneeze at,
    god or no.

But it is something to laugh at.
    Especially if he just monologued how superior he is to the people, and especially the angry monster, standing near him.

Binary Squid on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    EMH
    "I AM...Groot.

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    576394_3140988448482_1378050174_32288327_1989479110_n.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh snap, challenge has been issued.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Would you say that the
    (Infinity)
    gauntlet has been thrown?

• Options
    Perhaps.

I could say it, I have the capabilities.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Now I want to see a picture of Christian Bale standing in a warehouse full of pallets of money, stacked to the goddamn ceiling.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Skeith wrote: »
    Now I want to see a picture of Christian Bale standing in a warehouse full of pallets of money, stacked to the goddamn ceiling.

This will just have to do in the meantime.

oscar-4.jpg

Zonugal on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    THAT'S OSCARMAN TO YOU

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    man that was a super good movie

some of the points and pacing i disagree with, but this was absolutely worth the build up

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    Just got back from seeing this a little while ago

Even though I am a fan of a lot of Joss Whedon's other work, I honestly wasn't expecting much from this movie beyond some nice, big CGI-laden battle scenes

But man, I was wrong. This movie was pret-ty great

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    trailer vs. movie
    I liked the delivery of the 'billionaire philanthropist" line from the trailer better than the cut that made the movie

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    well I'm pretty sure some dudes in the avengers cast will get an oscar at some point (not for the avengers, mind, but probably something)

I mean I think half the cast has been nominated at least once already

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I was definitely one of the people who laughed in the theater, followed by a fist pump at

"Puny god."

Hulk's had four words of dialogue in the entirety of his appearance in this universe, but they've always been the best.

WRONG
    he has seven

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    I really wish I could find an article my friend was telling me about in which Tom Hardy talks about how terrifying it would be to fight Christian Bale.

Apparently Bale is pretty scary when it comes down to violent skills.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    JMan711 wrote: »
    576394_3140988448482_1378050174_32288327_1989479110_n.jpg

Wouldn't the real comparison have to be The Avengers VS a theoretical Justice League movie?

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

"Puny god."

WRONG
    he has seven
    He does? I just remember "HULK SMASH" and "Puny god."

This discussion has been closed.