As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Avengers! or why a Justice League film can't succeed!

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Just came back from seeing this.
    Good lord there was a lot of cringe-inducing one-liners, but otherwise the cast was used very well. Highlights for me were Iron Man using Cap's shield to attack multiple enemies (just when I thought I couldn't be any happier than when Cap shield-tosses), Banner morphing into Hulk and seamlessly punching out that snake-thing and Hawkeye's arrrow exploding in Loki's face (which lead to me bursting out in laughter).

And of course it was Coulson that was going to die, dang it.

What one-liners didn't you like? I got almost universally positive reactions to most of the witty stuff in the 2 screenings I've seen
    In compiling this list I realised I should have said dialogue and not just one-liners, but off the top of my head: World keeps spinning, Hawk in his nest, drop the hammer and attack plan like Etch said. Also the argument between Stark and Cap was still annoying because Cap's movie established that Roger's personality was an important part of why the project was successful.

We have a Hulk was still great.

PS Zonugal your OP is wonderful

Wait I'm confused about the bolded. Could you elaborate as to your issues with it?
    Tony says that the only thing that makes Steve special is the serum and yeah that's a big part of it but as Captain America estabished who Steve is meant that instead of a powerful soldier we got a hero.

Oh.
    So why are you mad a person who has literally no reason to know that and is fighting Cap at the time throws that at him as an insult?

Also I I don't really care for that part of Cap the movie.

I'd have preferred it if the scientist had only chosen him for the other reason. That he wanted Cap to be someone who respected strength. To be brave and courageous and smart.

The First Avenger spoilers:
    Rogers was chosen for being a good person. The serum amplified it. Erkzine explained that it "makes good into great and bad into worse." The obvious gift from the serum is it upgraded the subject's body above human, though he kind of implied it also altered their personalities. Whether it's true or not I'm unsure. Having great power can effect someone's mind anyway, and Rogers acted the same afterward IMO. Hard to tell with Red Skull since we never saw him pre-serum.

No dude I just said I know that's the story but I don't like it.

Okay.

• Options
    Godfather wrote: »
    Didn't they bring him back from the dead?

Why would they do that?

Technically he never died.
    It was a time bullet. Very confusing.

Ahahaha what the hell man

I don't know the specifics. I stopped collecting comics when he was bought back.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Good lord there was a lot of cringe-inducing one-liners, but otherwise the cast was used very well. Highlights for me were Iron Man using Cap's shield to attack multiple enemies (just when I thought I couldn't be any happier than when Cap shield-tosses), Banner morphing into Hulk and seamlessly punching out that snake-thing and Hawkeye's arrrow exploding in Loki's face (which lead to me bursting out in laughter).

What one-liners didn't you like? I got almost universally positive reactions to most of the witty stuff in the 2 screenings I've seen
    In compiling this list I realised I should have said dialogue and not just one-liners, but off the top of my head: World keeps spinning, Hawk in his nest, drop the hammer and attack plan like Etch said. Also the argument between Stark and Cap was still annoying because Cap's movie established that Roger's personality was an important part of why the project was successful.

Wait I'm confused about the bolded. Could you elaborate as to your issues with it?
    Tony says that the only thing that makes Steve special is the serum and yeah that's a big part of it but as Captain America estabished who Steve is meant that instead of a powerful soldier we got a hero.

Oh.
    So why are you mad a person who has literally no reason to know that and is fighting Cap at the time throws that at him as an insult?

I'd have preferred it if the scientist had only chosen him for the other reason. That he wanted Cap to be someone who respected strength. To be brave and courageous and smart.

Rogers was chosen for being a good person. The serum amplified it. Erkzine explained that it "makes good into great and bad into worse." The obvious gift from the serum is it upgraded the subject's body above human, though he kind of implied it also altered their personalities. Whether it's true or not I'm unsure. Having great power can effect someone's mind anyway, and Rogers acted the same afterward IMO. Hard to tell with Red Skull since we never saw him pre-serum.

I dunno, I kinda that idea.
    I thought the serum greatly amplifying not only physical strength but strength of character and morality was a great touch. It's also a good way of answering why Captain is such a moral boyscout, because now by genetic design he's now predispositioned to be that way.

It also provides a great safeguard for someone abusing potential serums in any future plots.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Something I know I have looked up is Vandal Savage I really don't remeber anything about him nor hearing anything about him until recently but then I know comics retcon all the time

Oh man, Vandal Savage would be so awesome. He's such a great villain.

And if you take some inspiration from Superman: TAS you can have him being influenced by Darkseid.

I'd watch that film.

I think Savage is great but he's basically just a variation on Luthor as far as Superman is concerned

(I mean unless you're going to make him Cain like that stupid fucking Question mini they did as part of 52 aftermath)

I want to see Superman fight someone who gives him a run for his money

I think I'd focus Savage in a more classical sense.

That is to say, he is the first villain the world ever knew. I'd showcase his impressive resume through the horrors of history.

And for conflicts I'd have him be slow. Really play up the immortal angle. This is a guy who can pull a plan together over fifty years or longer, if he can't beat you he'll simply wait.

I think audiences could dig that (mind you I'd take a lot of inspiration from the DCAU version of him.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options

Oh.

I dunno, I kinda that idea.
    I thought the serum greatly amplifying not only physical strength but strength of character and morality was a great touch. It's also a good way of answering why Captain is such a moral boyscout, because now by genetic design he's now predispositioned to be that way.

It also provides a great safeguard for someone abusing potential serums in any future plots.
    The failsafe only works if the person is nice originally. Super-villains and terrorist organizations like AIM or Hydra would produce more guys like Red Skull than Cap from their own recruits.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Why is everybody spoiling a question that has to do only with the Cap movie?

I think if you are making a supersoldier and are at all a good person wanting the Supersoldier to be a good person is a goal in of itself. The scientist didn't really need more reason to search for a kind, thoughtful person.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular

Why would they do that?

I don't know the specifics. I stopped collecting comics when he was bought back.

it was pretty great under brubaker

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Also what is this hate on for 300?

Its a fun film.

yeah, it's fun and entertaining and that's fine

but it's got problems with historical accuracy and how it glorifies the warrior-cult of Sparta

example: there's that scene where Leonidas makes fun of the Athenians for having brought fewer soldiers than he did

but that scene makes no sense, since the Athenian non-professional army had, ten years before the events of the film, kicked the shit out of the Persians (made up of professional soldiers like the Spartans) at Marathon

basically the story ignores or lies about a lot of history in order to glorify spartan machismo

source, with lots more: http://davidbrin.wordpress.com/2011/11/13/move-over-frank-miller-or-why-the-occupy-wall-street-kids-are-better-than-spartans/

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Something I know I have looked up is Vandal Savage I really don't remeber anything about him nor hearing anything about him until recently but then I know comics retcon all the time

And if you take some inspiration from Superman: TAS you can have him being influenced by Darkseid.

I'd watch that film.

I think Savage is great but he's basically just a variation on Luthor as far as Superman is concerned

(I mean unless you're going to make him Cain like that stupid fucking Question mini they did as part of 52 aftermath)

That is to say, he is the first villain the world ever knew. I'd showcase his impressive resume through the horrors of history.

And for conflicts I'd have him be slow. Really play up the immortal angle. This is a guy who can pull a plan together over fifty years or longer, if he can't beat you he'll simply wait.

I think audiences could dig that (mind you I'd take a lot of inspiration from the DCAU version of him.
    Unless Savage has an army working for him (which, I mean, well-spoken immortal villain leading an army against a newly formed superteam hmmmm) the dude just doesn't present enough of a threat to the Justice League

all of his JL storylines had the physical conflict come from armies of footsoldiers or didn't focus on one at all or had Superman teaming up with him after the apocalypse

that last one was great

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Buttlord wrote: »

Why would they do that?

That it was.

• Options

Why would they do that?

Brubaker actually wrote the shitty resurrection story as well

it is by far the low point of his run

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

Its a fun film.

but it's got problems with historical accuracy and how it glorifies the warrior-cult of Sparta

example: there's that scene where Leonidas makes fun of the Athenians for having brought fewer soldiers than he did

but that scene makes no sense, since the Athenian non-professional army had, ten years before the events of the film, kicked the shit out of the Persians (made up of professional soldiers like the Spartans) at Marathon

basically the story ignores or lies about a lot of history in order to glorify spartan machismo

source, with lots more: http://davidbrin.wordpress.com/2011/11/13/move-over-frank-miller-or-why-the-occupy-wall-street-kids-are-better-than-spartans/

keep in mind that the story is framed as the eyepatch guy riling up his men before a battle

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Its a fun film.

Is this a legitimate criticism people have? With this film?

Because I won't believe that.

• Options
    edited May 2012

I'd watch that film.

I love this about Savage

I think he's a great villain

I just don't think this makes much sense for Superman

Superman's just not this cerebral

it would make more sense for him to be in a Batman movie

or I would love to see Savage in a Flash story

the fastest man alive

versus the most patient man alive

that's a story with traction

Shorty on
  • Options

Its a fun film.

The movie with Trolls and monsters isn't historically accurate?

Madness.

(and yes I know exactly what I did there and I'm not happy about it.)

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I think Savage is a fucking amazing villain. One of DC's best.

But he isn't a good villain to cause the Justice League to form, as they are basically living gods and he isn't quite up to that level, threat wise.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I really have no problem with the meat of 300, that is to say the actual battles

It's all that stuff at home with DEMOCRACY AND FREEDOM and the 20-minute oracle scene that annoys me

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Why would they do that?

Brubaker actually wrote the shitty resurrection story as well

it is by far the low point of his run

No-one's perfect. IMO he writes a better Cap then Waid. I'm glad the MCU's Cap is influenced by Brubaker's version.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »

Its a fun film.

keep in mind that the story is framed as the eyepatch guy riling up his men before a battle

a battle which is presented as the almighty Spartans kicking the shit out of a giant Persian force

in reality that battle was completely irrelevant because the Athenian navy had already taken care of business

• Options
    yeah i don't really have a problem with 300 being inaccurate

it's not intended to be accurate

it's a hyper-stylized story based on a battle

keywords "based on"

• Options
    Blank, I wouldn't have Savage be the main villain for a huge-cast Justice League film.

I'd rather see him the main villain of a solo film given little hints or cameos in other solo films before having him herald the way to a true BBEG.

• Options

Its a fun film.

some people are bothered by history being presented dishonestly to push a narrative

what's wrong with that?

• Options

But he isn't a good villain to cause the Justice League to form, as they are basically living gods and he isn't quite up to that level, threat wise.

Any idea for the villain?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    yeah i don't really have a problem with 300 being inaccurate

it's not intended to be accurate

it's a hyper-stylized story based on a battle

keywords "based on"

yeah, this is why all that stuff doesn't really bother me, personally

the movie's more about kicking ass than anything else

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Why would they do that?

it's pretty simple. time bullets cause you to become unstuck in time, thus allowing the Red Skull, whose consciousness has been enjoying a time share in the head of a Russian general, to transfer his consciousness into your body and use it for his own.

• Options

Why would they do that?

it's pretty simple. time bullets cause you to become unstuck in time, thus allowing the Red Skull, whose consciousness has been enjoying a time share in the head of a Russian general, to transfer his consciousness into your body and use it for his own.

my god, it's so easy

• Options

Despero.

Dude is an alien warlord who can take Superman in a fist fight.

I think it is hard to do a Justice League movie without a threat as large as like, an alien invasion, so they should just get over the fact that it would be kind of similar to Avengers.

Make sure the alien aesthetic is unique and have the League form themselves as opposed to being brought together by an organization like SHIELD and make it stand apart from Avengers in different ways.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Its a fun film.

some people are bothered by history being presented dishonestly to push a narrative

what's wrong with that?

A lot of times its boring (and far too graphic).

People wanted 300 to be an intense action film, not a Ken Burns production.

• Options

Its a fun film.

what's wrong with that?

if the narrative isn't supposed to be an actual retelling of actual events then who gives a fuck would be my response

and like you and i already agreed

300 ain't a history lesson

it's just a crazy action movie with some historical flavor

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    man what?

you need to take up your criticisms of 300 up with Frank Miller then.

you know, the dude that wrote the fictional book.

• Options
    Blank, I wouldn't have Savage be the main villain for a huge-cast Justice League film.

I'd rather see him the main villain of a solo film given little hints or cameos in other solo films before having him herald the way to a true BBEG.
    I think he'd be a fantastic villain for a Wonder Woman movie

dude was alive when the Greeks were hot shit

so he can tie directly into WW's origins and backstories and present a personal, but still modern and unique threat

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Why would they do that?

Where did Sharon's baby with Steve fit into this while she was still pregnant? I thought Red Skull wanted to implant his mind into their baby's body then have Arnim Zola age him up with wacky science-fu.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

so he can tie directly into WW's origins and backstories and present a personal, but still modern and unique threat

I CONCUR!

• Options

Its a fun film.

what's wrong with that?

A lot of times its boring (and far too graphic).

People wanted 300 to be an intense action film, not a Ken Burns production.

this isn't one of those times

and even if it was that doesn't make the criticism illegitimate

but neither does it necessarily mean that 300 is a bad movie

it's just a bad historical movie

and if you don't care about that, cool

nothin' wrong with that

• Options
    Yeah that's pretty great. So is the Despero idea.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

I CONCUR!

yessssss

• Options
    edited May 2012

Despero.

Dude is an alien warlord who can take Superman in a fist fight.

I think it is hard to do a Justice League movie without a threat as large as like, an alien invasion, so they should just get over the fact that it would be kind of similar to Avengers.

Make sure the alien aesthetic is unique and have the League form themselves as opposed to being brought together by an organization like SHIELD and make it stand apart from Avengers in different ways.

I'd prefer an Earth based threat like The Society or Injustice Gang to distinguish it furthur from Avengers.
    They did an alien invasion for an origin already. Save that for the sequel.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Blank, pick up your pen!

We have some writing to do...!

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    I wasn't aware 300 was supposed to be historically accurate

Like I knew about the actual battle but around the time they depicted Xerxes as 15 feet tall I figured it might be a bit of a dramatization

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really Vandal would work as the villian in the Justice League movie
    It would be various problems a la DOOM that lead to him but not as obvious that he is behind it

This discussion has been closed.