As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Avengers! or why a Justice League film can't succeed!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    well all of Snyder's past films have sucked

Well I don't know that anybody here feels like defending 300 it does have its fans and Watchmen was a very faithful adaption.

Also while his last movie sucked I respect what he tried to do with it. You see him talking in interviews and he actually had a good idea for a movie. Something pretty deep and interesting.

But the guy had no idea how to realize his vision.

yeah, I liked Watchmen

but my expectations were low, to be honest

I considered the book to be pretty much unfilmable and it was a valiant effort

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Watchmen was too faithful

He just copied over scenes directly from the book and had no idea what made them good in the first place and how to adapt that to film

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    well all of Snyder's past films have sucked

Well I don't know that anybody here feels like defending 300 it does have its fans and Watchmen was a very faithful adaption.

Also while his last movie sucked I respect what he tried to do with it. You see him talking in interviews and he actually had a good idea for a movie. Something pretty deep and interesting.

But the guy had no idea how to realize his vision.

300 is entertaining as hell, f the haters.

that stupid looking owl movie he directed? suprisingly good.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    there's nothing wrong with just giving people amazing abilities

why does Hawkeye have such unreal aim? because he's Hawkeye, that's his thing, that's why he's part of the team

Just like Batman is a super genius who knows all the kung fu and never gets tired

I still love Hawkeye's origin story.

He ran off to join the carnival. Thus, he has amazing carny powers.

Archery!
    Cheating!
    Skeevy pickup lines!

Two of the three have saved the universe.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Who wants to chip in to buy Supes some shorts? Anyone?

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Just came back from seeing this.
    Good lord there was a lot of cringe-inducing one-liners, but otherwise the cast was used very well. Highlights for me were Iron Man using Cap's shield to attack multiple enemies (just when I thought I couldn't be any happier than when Cap shield-tosses), Banner morphing into Hulk and seamlessly punching out that snake-thing and Hawkeye's arrrow exploding in Loki's face (which lead to me bursting out in laughter).

And of course it was Coulson that was going to die, dang it.

What one-liners didn't you like? I got almost universally positive reactions to most of the witty stuff in the 2 screenings I've seen
    In compiling this list I realised I should have said dialogue and not just one-liners, but off the top of my head: World keeps spinning, Hawk in his nest, drop the hammer and attack plan like Etch said. Also the argument between Stark and Cap was still annoying because Cap's movie established that Roger's personality was an important part of why the project was successful.

We have a Hulk was still great.

PS Zonugal your OP is wonderful

Wait I'm confused about the bolded. Could you elaborate as to your issues with it?
    Tony says that the only thing that makes Steve special is the serum and yeah that's a big part of it but as Captain America estabished who Steve is meant that instead of a powerful soldier we got a hero.

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    superman-man-of-steel-set-photo-costume-henry-cavill-01-371x600.jpg

fair enough

Also you have no idea how much I hate that Zod is in this fucking movie.

what's your beef with Zod?

I mean I don't think he's been a very good villain thus far but there's precedent for his appearance and I don't think there's anything intrinsic to the character that necessarily means he's shite

• Options
    300 is an excellent trailer that was unnecessarily stretched out into a movie

It would be a great short 30 or 40 minute film, not a very good 2 hour movie

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    Good lord there was a lot of cringe-inducing one-liners, but otherwise the cast was used very well. Highlights for me were Iron Man using Cap's shield to attack multiple enemies (just when I thought I couldn't be any happier than when Cap shield-tosses), Banner morphing into Hulk and seamlessly punching out that snake-thing and Hawkeye's arrrow exploding in Loki's face (which lead to me bursting out in laughter).

What one-liners didn't you like? I got almost universally positive reactions to most of the witty stuff in the 2 screenings I've seen
    In compiling this list I realised I should have said dialogue and not just one-liners, but off the top of my head: World keeps spinning, Hawk in his nest, drop the hammer and attack plan like Etch said. Also the argument between Stark and Cap was still annoying because Cap's movie established that Roger's personality was an important part of why the project was successful.

Wait I'm confused about the bolded. Could you elaborate as to your issues with it?
    Tony says that the only thing that makes Steve special is the serum and yeah that's a big part of it but as Captain America estabished who Steve is meant that instead of a powerful soldier we got a hero.
    tony has no idea about any of that though?

• Options
    When was it cool to start hating on 300? Did I miss the memo or something?

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

why does Hawkeye have such unreal aim? because he's Hawkeye, that's his thing, that's why he's part of the team

Just like Batman is a super genius who knows all the kung fu and never gets tired

Archery!
    Cheating!
    Skeevy pickup lines!

it's surprising how often "amazing carny powers" is used as an origin story

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

To be fair, Cap's retort isn't exactly true either. Even without the suit, Tony has technical know-how that would make Batman impressed.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Batman has an detailed origin about how he got his skills and technology. Begins is primarily setting up how he can become Batman. Batman does get tired, makes mistakes and is not invincible when done correctly. He's still a man, not a god. Not tiring quickly is Cap's thing. Being a super-soldier has its benefits. Hawkeye isn't a mutant nor are his skilled good enough to pass for great spy training like Widow's are.
    The guy can accurately shoot an alien driven flying motorcycle several feet behind him without seeing or hearing it casually. That's super-human shit right there. Cap can't do that and he's above humans physically. Yes, I know that his "thing" to be part of the team but they didn't even imply how he got his amazing skills. Not that I mind it's just they can get away with it easier not being a super-realistic film, unlike in Nolan's Batman films.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Godfather wrote: »
    When was it cool to start hating on 300? Did I miss the memo or something?

maybe people are criticizing 300 because there are legitimate criticisms of 300

maybe that

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Oh.
    So why are you mad a person who has literally no reason to know that and is fighting Cap at the time throws that at him as an insult?

Also I I don't really care for that part of Cap the movie.

I'd have preferred it if the scientist had only chosen him for the other reason. That he wanted Cap to be someone who respected strength. To be brave and courageous and smart.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    -tal I can never tell it's you now that you aren't Zelda

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Thanks duder!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    I liked 300

it wasn't perfect but it was fun

xmassig2.gif
  • Options

fair enough

I mean I don't think he's been a very good villain thus far but there's precedent for his appearance and I don't think there's anything intrinsic to the character that necessarily means he's shite

He already got his movie and is powerwise just a Kryptonian. If we're finally getting a real drag out fight from a Superman movie I want one of his Villains with cool powers.

Brainiac, Metallo or parasite.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Archery!
    Cheating!
    Skeevy pickup lines!

it's surprising how often "amazing carny powers" is used as an origin story

Hawkeye, the Tumbler, Robin...

Yeah, it is a common theme, isn't it?

I mean, Hawkeye's the guy who takes the ball and runs with it, but it's more dedication than a unique starting point.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

To be fair, Cap's retort isn't exactly true either. Even without the suit, Tony has technical know-how that would make Batman impressed.
    Yeah the conversation in general is petty which I guess is what they were going for. I can live with that.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Something I know I have looked up is Vandal Savage I really don't remeber anything about him nor hearing anything about him until recently but then I know comics retcon all the time

Oh man, Vandal Savage would be so awesome. He's such a great villain.

And if you take some inspiration from Superman: TAS you can have him being influenced by Darkseid.

I'd watch that film.

• Options
    edited May 2012

fair enough

He already got his movie and is powerwise just a Kryptonian. If we're finally getting a real drag out fight from a Superman movie I want one of his Villains with cool powers.

I agree with the latter point but not the former

"has already been in a movie" isn't really a legitimate reason to not use a villain

I mean, they've used the Joker and Two-Face and Lex Luthor more than once, why not Zod or anyone else?

personally I'd like to see Darkseid

Shorty on
  • Options
    I'd watch any film with Savage as a villain.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Didn't they bring him back from the dead?

Why would they do that?

Technically he never died.
    It was a time bullet. Very confusing.

Ahahaha what the hell man

• Options

Oh.
    So why are you mad a person who has literally no reason to know that and is fighting Cap at the time throws that at him as an insult?

I'd have preferred it if the scientist had only chosen him for the other reason. That he wanted Cap to be someone who respected strength. To be brave and courageous and smart.

The First Avenger spoilers:
    Rogers was chosen for being a good person. The serum amplified it. Erkzine explained that it "makes good into great and bad into worse." The obvious gift from the serum is it upgraded the subject's body above human, though he kind of implied it also altered their personalities. Whether it's true or not I'm unsure. Having great power can effect someone's mind anyway, and Rogers acted the same afterward IMO. Hard to tell with Red Skull since we never saw him pre-serum.

• Options
    Also what is this hate on for 300?

Its a fun film.

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Something I know I have looked up is Vandal Savage I really don't remeber anything about him nor hearing anything about him until recently but then I know comics retcon all the time

And if you take some inspiration from Superman: TAS you can have him being influenced by Darkseid.

I'd watch that film.

I think Savage is great but he's basically just a variation on Luthor as far as Superman is concerned

(I mean unless you're going to make him Cain like that stupid fucking Question mini they did as part of 52 aftermath)

I want to see Superman fight someone who gives him a run for his money

• Options

fair enough

I agree with the latter point but not the former

"has already been in a movie" isn't really a legitimate reason to not use a villain

I mean, they've used the Joker and Two-Face and Lex Luthor more than once, why not Zod or anyone else?

personally I'd like to see Darkseid

The Joker got reused after most of Batman's mains were used.

More importantly while there may be a lot of problems with the old Superman movies Zod is Pitch perfect.

I don't want to watch them trade off between Lex and Zod forever.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Although I will agree that the trailer is better than the film.

Doesn't mean the film was terrible.

• Options

Why would they do that?

it's true

the cap resurrection story was even more confusing than Final Crisis

and unlike FC there's nothing else there to recommend it

• Options

Oh.

The First Avenger spoilers:
    Rogers was chosen for being a good person. The serum amplified it. Erkzine explained that it "makes good into great and bad into worse." The obvious gift from the serum is it upgraded the subject's body above human, though he kind of implied it also altered their personalities. Whether it's true or not I'm unsure. Having great power can effect someone's mind anyway, and Rogers acted the same afterward IMO. Hard to tell with Red Skull since we never saw him pre-serum.

No dude I just said I know that's the story but I don't like it.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

I'd watch that film.

I think Savage is great but he's basically just a variation on Luthor as far as Superman is concerned

(I mean unless you're going to make him Cain like that stupid fucking Question mini they did as part of 52 aftermath)

Brainiac or Metallo need to be in the live action films badly.

• Options

Why would they do that?

it's true

the cap resurrection story was even more confusing than Final Crisis

and unlike FC there's nothing else there to recommend it

Comics are weird man!

• Options

I'd watch that film.

metallo, yes

brainiac....ehhhhh

I feel like the Bruce Timm animated stuff already did Brainiac as well as he can be done

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I may have said something along those lines. I guess what I meant was more that he used to be a big deal waaaaay back, but he's faded to the background of the pop culture landscape

but I mean, it made the newspaper when marvel killed him off a few years back, and that was well before the movie, which, to me, means he's a bit more known than say, ghost rider

Why would they do that?

To put him in charge of SHIELD and give him a bitching costume. They real question is why the killed him in the first place.

The way they did it was so bad.

Totally called it when they announced his "death" a few years back.

They're all "OH NO HE'S DEAD FOR REAL" and i'm all "yeah whatevah, you just want to make some extra cash"

And BOOM! Here we are

He came back two years ago, dude. It was a good story, you should read it.

• Options

I'd watch that film.

metallo, yes

brainiac....ehhhhh

I feel like the Bruce Timm animated stuff already did Brainiac as well as he can be done

Nah. There is a lot you can do with Brainiac.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    every superman film should involve lex luthor

and richard pryor

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    The supercomputer in Superman III was Brainiac-ish.

Ok, not really.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I agree a lot with what Geebs said earlier re: A Justice League movie

Everyone knows who the Justice League is. At least everyone in my generation. They don't know anything really beyond HEY THAT'S THE FLASH HE RUNS FAST, but most people could name all of the Big 7 except for Martian Manhunter.

So they should just say fuck it and establish the DC Movieverse with a Justice League movie. Gloss over everyone's origins with a minimal amount of effort since they aren't really that important and focus on characterization and establishing everyone's personality and how they stand in their little corner of the universe, to be expanded upon in later solo films.

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.