As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Avengers! or why a Justice League film can't succeed!

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    vandal savage seems to neatly solve a lot of villain problems

also 300 was a shitty movie purely by virtue of being a shitty movie

if you're going to talk shit about its history that's fine but you have to be willing to apply the same criteria to pirates of the caribbean

Crimson King on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    do people honestly not know that 300 is a book written by frank miller?

they didn't go about to create a historically accurate movie based on real events. they created a treatment of an insane all nude fictional orgy.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    oh yeah I forgot about the orgy and the deformed guy

all that crap sucked too

just cut everything out that doesn't deal with spartans killing persians

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Sin City was a good movie

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Really I would have the Justice League movie introduce Despero to a universe that is pretty similar to our own other than the superhumans running around

he would be the first outright supervillain, dudes like Superman and Batman had been stopping normal crimes up until he shows up

then when he is beaten have what's left of his fleet just shatter and break up all over Earth

the debris is quickly looted and scavanged and the experimental alien tech is what causes the first generation of supervillains to rise up

Wonder Woman would have Vandal Savage, who has been content to not really draw attention to himself but everything has gotten so interesting and he is so bored that he decides to have a little fun.

Superman would be Metallo, but with Luthor simmering in the background.

Flash would have a group of Rogues instead of just one villian. I'd go with Captain Cold, Weather Wizard and Mirror Master.

Green Lantern would be anyone but Sinestro. Maybe Lobo, presented as a straight up malicious alien mercenary instead of FRAG ME FOR A BASTICH

Batman would do Riddler, as Nolan hasn't used him yet and it would keep from retreading any of his films.

Aquaman would be Black Manta because that's really about all you've got, sadly.

Martian Manhunter wouldn't get a solo movie, as his origin would be the Justice League film.

then JL 2 would be the Legion of Doom bringing them all together via Brainiac.

This has been Blank's idea for a DC Movieverse.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FlarnaFlarna Registered User regular
    So, as long as we're talking about potential villain choices, might I suggest one for a future Marvel movie? Since Marvel is a Disney subsidiary, I wouldn't consider it too out-of-bounds to cross-pollinate, as it were. I am, of course, referring to:

David
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIRtbFQrVURJlcfebt8fiRgSd1D-TQsuybsYL5t188Dodl8WdLvAB8Eb6vHQ

Motherfucking
    41574_33712516859_4225587_n.jpg

Xanatos
    250px-Xanatos.JPG

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I wasn't aware 300 was supposed to be historically accurate

Like I knew about the actual battle but around the time they depicted Xerxes as 15 feet tall I figured it might be a bit of a dramatization

snyder has said that the film is totally accurate as far as the events went

which, as I understand it, is mostly true, but leaves out things like:

1) thermopylae wasn't a terribly important battle

2) themistocles, athenian admiral, was waging war right next to Leonidas, in the sea, with a similarly-sized force of untrained citizen-sailors. and he was doing it better.

3) Sparta, glorious Sparta, was one of the most brutal slave societies in history

4) the battle shown at the very end, which I forget the name of, had more Athenians involved than Spartans, and it was the Athenians who turned the Persian flank. they're the real heroes. but it's kind of academic since, as I said above, this battle was also basically irrelevant; it was just a mopping-up action against forces that Xerxes had already abandoned (because the Athenian navy had already beaten his fleet).

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Blank:

J'onn has Malefic. His evil Darkseid worshipping brother.

Aquaman has Ocean Master, too.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Malefic is cool but I just don't think a Martian Manhunter movie would ever happen and that the villain of it shouldn't be a dude who is literally J'onn except evil

Ocean Master I'll give you

honestly they should just pull a Whiplash and combine Ocean Master and Black Manta for a film

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Captain Cold, Weather Wizard and Mirror Master.

oh flash.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I

would be pretty okay with making Gargoyles part of Marvel canon

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Angry wrote: »
    Captain Cold, Weather Wizard and Mirror Master.

oh flash.
    Flash actually has some of the best villains in comics!

They just have goofy names

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Sin City was a good movie

seeing that in the theater was fucking incredible

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    I

not totally outside the realm of possibility

they are a disney property, aren't they?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I

Yes.

• Options
    I feel like the Justice League movie more or less has to be Darkseid, hey. Like I'm sure you've thought about this and have some solid reasons why not, but also, who the fuck is Despero?

also the Flash has a great rogue's gallery of Spiderman villains. the problem is that he's the Flash. that said the three you mentioned are pretty fantastic and could probably give the dude a run for his money. if you're going balls-out silver age i'd also be tempted to use Gorilla Grodd.

• Options
    I feel like the Justice League movie more or less has to be Darkseid, hey. Like I'm sure you've thought about this and have some solid reasons why not, but also, who the fuck is Despero?

also the Flash has a great rogue's gallery of Spiderman villains. the problem is that he's the Flash. that said the three you mentioned are pretty fantastic and could probably give the dude a run for his money. if you're going balls-out silver age i'd also be tempted to use Gorilla Grodd.
    250px-Despero.JPG
    Despero is an alien from the planet Kalanor, and in addition to a genius intellect possesses a third eye on his forehead capable of mind control, illusions, telekinesis, and telepathy. Despero is also empowered by the "Flame of Py'tar", a mystical source of power that grants superior strength, durability, and the ability to alter his mass (from human-sized to massive).
    Basically Martian Manhunter with a splash of Hulk and a history as an alien warlord

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I

I'd prefer if they expanded the gargoyles line as they originally intended.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

250px-Despero.JPG
    Despero is an alien from the planet Kalanor, and in addition to a genius intellect possesses a third eye on his forehead capable of mind control, illusions, telekinesis, and telepathy. Despero is also empowered by the "Flame of Py'tar", a mystical source of power that grants superior strength, durability, and the ability to alter his mass (from human-sized to massive).
    Basically Martian Manhunter with a splash of Hulk and a history as an alien warlord

I think it was something of a rhetorical question

public awareness of Despero is next to zero

• Options
    and and public awareness of Loki, Red Skull, Whiplash, Iron Monger
    Thanos
    and Abomination are so high

how popular a villain is isn't a big deal, since only like 2-3 bad guys in all of comics are super popular with more than just the readers.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

250px-Despero.JPG

that sounds awesome i'm instantly sold

mostly it is the fact he has every superpower that appeals to me

like i imagine the justice league rocking up all ho hum another generic alien conqueror wait help superman is attacking me and i'm trapped in an endless hall of mirrors

• Options
    Also I'd like to point out how all of the Rogues, minus Heatwave, got some pretty goddamn slick redesigns:
    yKtkB.jpg

Weather Wizard in particular looks ballin

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

250px-Despero.JPG

Public Awareness of Loki?
    Of Thanos?

of Whiplash?

of the Penguin?

of Paralax?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Thanos

how popular a villain is isn't a big deal, since only like 2-3 bad guys in all of comics are super popular with more than just the readers.

hey, you don't have to convince me

I'm all for obscure villains

put fuckin' Crazy Quilt in the next Batman movie

it's film execs who have to be convinced

edit: and also don't put an unnecessary spoiler in a post I'm going to quote

I haven't seen the Avengers, dude, you kind of just fucked that up for me

Shorty on
  • Options
    I think Despero is a super marketable villain

he looks like a big evil alien, could have multiple toys made since he can shapeshift a little bit and is big and scary enough to fight the whole League solo

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    mirror master's in the reflection! brilliant!

are we getting that soon? i'd love to see manapul's take on him.

• Options
    Thanos

Seriously. I think the bigger thing you need is a Villain that can, in one way or another, get people excited in the Trailer.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I kind of know who Thanos is, Whiplash was some bitter ex empolyee of Stark, Red Skull I know. Iron Monger nothing and Loki yes

• Options
    mirror master's in the reflection! brilliant!

are we getting that soon? i'd love to see manapul's take on him.
    Yeah it's the cover of the Flash Annual, out in September.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

250px-Despero.JPG

of Whiplash?

of the Penguin?

of Paralax?

why the fuck would you put a spoiler in a post I'm going to have to quote

I haven't seen the avengers yet, guy

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I kind of know who
    Thanos
    is, Whiplash was some bitter ex empolyee of Stark, Red Skull I know. Iron Monger nothing and Loki yes
    Yes but you are posting on an internet forum on a website for a webcomic about video games with a WoW-themed avatar and signature

you aren't Joe Public

also you should spoiler the first dude in your post

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

250px-Despero.JPG

of Whiplash?

of the Penguin?

of Paralax?

You knew there was a spoiler why did you quote? YOu didn't have too.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    i suppose the problem with the flash movie is that he is probably the superhero who makes the least amount of sense

i mean i think he's awesome but it's always been hard to reconcile 'can run at the speed of light' with any kind of coherent narrative that isn't over in under a second

and also you have to figure out how to represent the dude moving in a way that doesn't look weird in film

i mean in theory i'd want to use one of the villains who runs as fast as the flash can, so in the climactic battle they race around the world. but that's zoom and zoom isn't great.

• Options

250px-Despero.JPG

of Whiplash?

of the Penguin?

of Paralax?

...because that's how conversations work? what are you, new?

• Options

250px-Despero.JPG

of Whiplash?

of the Penguin?

of Paralax?

...because that's how conversations work? what are you, new?

Are you? You could have just responded to me.

I didn't force you to look at my clearly marked spoiler.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    i suppose the problem with the flash movie is that he is probably the superhero who makes the least amount of sense

i mean i think he's awesome but it's always been hard to reconcile 'can run at the speed of light' with any kind of coherent narrative that isn't over in under a second

and also you have to figure out how to represent the dude moving in a way that doesn't look weird in film

i mean in theory i'd want to use one of the villains who runs as fast as the flash can, so in the climactic battle they race around the world. but that's zoom and zoom isn't great.
    I'd just leave it at superspeed and not get into the whole "I destroy all of the laws of physics" thing

dude can run really fast and slow down time to a crawl

no faster than light running backwards in time shenanigans

oh and lots of speed tricks. Vibrating through walls, making tornados or spinning his arms to slow a fall.

and as much as I dislike most of Snyder's films, I think his slo-mo/fast-mo hybrid style would work great with Flash

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    while despero is cool

you would just use darkseid

• Options
    while despero is cool

I love Darkseid

but I'd want him done proper, 4th World and all, and there is no goddamn way that would fly in an intro Justice League film nor any film at all, realistically.

so why change him into a generic alien conqueror when you have a villain who can put up a similar challenge who is an alien conqueror

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    while despero is cool

bingo

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Sparta pretty much had an entire class of people they could kill at any time, and did so, like randomly, to sow confusion and fear among the underclass. For instance any gathering of 3 or more of the underclass (name escapes me at the moment), would often be randomly attacked and killed by Spartan soldiers in training.

It was totally legal and encouraged. Not surprisingly this underclass tried to kill all the Spartans when a massive earthquake almost wiped the young male population of Sparta out.

I love 300 tho, lotsa fun. I also snickered at the "Greeks, those boy lovers!?!?!" given that Sparta was the most flamboyantly and intrinsicly homosexual society the world has ever seen. Pretty much marraige and family were considered dangerous distractions from loyalty to the state, said loyalty was kept by having all the soldiers fall in love with their officers.

Sparta is the society other Greek societies thought was weird, and with good reason. Also the weirdo fundie conservatives of Greek states looooved Sparta for the purity of its man-boy love.

Amazingly though I still unashamedly love 300.

Prohass on
This discussion has been closed.