As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] A Farewell to Friend Codes

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    For those of you that are turned off by the Nintendo controller, Mad Catz has your fix!

tumblr_m57ozfDPvj1qzp9weo1_1280.png

I don't know why but that looks extremely cheap.

Oh wait, it's Mad Catz.

2003 MNC Dover would agree with you, but over the last couple of years MC has really stepped up their game in terms of quality and customer service. That being said, I'm still planning on getting the official Nintendo controller instead. The layout isn't that big a deal to me. :)

Yeah I know they've improved, just a bit of personal bias on my part due to a not so great history with their products. Haven't actually bought anything Mad Catz in about 5 years or so.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/6/7/3070596/miiverse-comments-must-be-moderated-by-hand
    User-to-user interactions on the Wii U's Miiverse social platform will go through three layers of moderation before arriving at their destination, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata told Hero Complex today.

Nintendo boasted that the system would finally provide the strong social experience of the Xbox 360 and PSN during its E3 press conference. However, the company's methods for keeping messages clean are a little extreme: Any message posted must pass through an automatic language filter, a human moderator review from Nintendo "human resources" and, finally, a peer review from the recipient.

When asked how long this process would take, Iwata said the company would have a clearer idea as Miiverse is shaped by feedback, but specified, "I think 30 minutes should be acceptable."

The logistics are staggering to think about, but it's just the latest effort in Nintendo's history of protecting its underage audience at the expense of the convenience of its adults. The oft-decried Friend Code system received similar complaints, and prevented both the DS and Wii from developing cohesive online multiplayer experiences.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Sounds pretty sensible considering what it is. I'm presuming messages sent directly between friends and stuff is unmoderated as usual.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Days of Wonder and Fantasy Flight Games need to jump on this thing and release as many board games as they can on the WiiU. I will buy them all.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Days of Wonder and Fantasy Flight Games need to jump on this thing and release as many board games as they can on the WiiU. I will buy them all.

This, so this. I think Robot Entertainment should put out Hero Academy as well because that game deserves more of a following.

scribwiiu.png

LOL! That is awesome!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    edited

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Also, despite the fact that it's been done on other systems, a Magic:The Gathering game wouldn't be a bad idea. All tappin' cards on the touchscreen and errythang.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/6/7/3070596/miiverse-comments-must-be-moderated-by-hand
    User-to-user interactions on the Wii U's Miiverse social platform will go through three layers of moderation before arriving at their destination, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata told Hero Complex today.

Nintendo boasted that the system would finally provide the strong social experience of the Xbox 360 and PSN during its E3 press conference. However, the company's methods for keeping messages clean are a little extreme: Any message posted must pass through an automatic language filter, a human moderator review from Nintendo "human resources" and, finally, a peer review from the recipient.

When asked how long this process would take, Iwata said the company would have a clearer idea as Miiverse is shaped by feedback, but specified, "I think 30 minutes should be acceptable."

The logistics are staggering to think about, but it's just the latest effort in Nintendo's history of protecting its underage audience at the expense of the convenience of its adults. The oft-decried Friend Code system received similar complaints, and prevented both the DS and Wii from developing cohesive online multiplayer experiences.

This borders on entering the planet of Retardo, in the galaxy of Idiot. Human beings will be reading every single message sent. Seriously.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    I'm gonna send messages all the time like "i know you see this, nintendrone. tonight, i kill again."

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'm gonna send messages all the time like "i know you see this, nintendrone. tonight, i kill again."

SWAT teams will then surround your house.

30 minutes later, of course.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Who's Nintendrone?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    If messages between friends are moderated, then the Wii U isn't going to have a real messaging system either. That's great.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Who's Nintendrone?

Someone who has a blind, undying love for Nintendo and all it's products. They will protect the hive until death, fighting for their favorite video game company. Known to get into giant flame wars with fanboys for other systems/companies, they can rally the troops at a moment's notice.

I literally pulled that from urbandictionary

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    You can send unmoderated messages to your friends through the Wii message board (I think) and 3DS swapnote, so I doubt they will moderate between friends aside from a word filter. This is probably just for strangers.

Taya on
  • Options
    Who's Nintendrone?

Someone who has a blind, undying love for Nintendo and all it's products. They will protect the hive until death, fighting for their favorite video game company. Known to get into giant flame wars with fanboys for other systems/companies, they can rally the troops at a moment's notice.

I literally pulled that from urbandictionary

Oh, I thought it was the username of someone here or on another message board.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    You can send unmoderated messages to your friends through the Wii message board (I think) and 3DS swapnote, so I doubt they will moderate between friends aside from a word filter. This is probably just for strangers.

These moderation things are just for the social network, message board type thing they have going on. It'll be annoying a bit, but not really a big deal.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

These moderation things are just for the social network, message board type thing they have going on. It'll be annoying a bit, but not really a big deal.

As long as you're not sending dongs to everybody, you should be fine.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular

I have two swap notes that are not dongs.

• Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2012
    Also, despite the fact that it's been done on other systems, a Magic:The Gathering game wouldn't be a bad idea. All tappin' cards on the touchscreen and errythang.

Only if it's developed by someone who is not Wizards of the Coast or Sony Online Entertainment, because those guys are bad at making games.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    The verification system used by Nintendo is to be used for the Miiverse, which is the system where messages from strangers pop up in your OS and in your games. Of course they have to censor that stuff, they can't rely on some algorithm to detect crude penis drawings and threats. I guess the alternative is to make it optional, but I guess Nintendo doesn't want certain users to be excluded - and the risk of someone turning the feature on and then suing them for seeing a rude message.

They have only brought this up in relation to Miiverse so I very much doubt they'll use it for friend-to-friend communication, or even stranger communication.

It's a pretty trivial thing to complain about.

SquiddyBiscuit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I have a couple of friends who used to work for a company that made filtering services for school. It was an automated system that flagged off of certain words and images (yes, it could do images), and would send the information off to the company for human review. They had a lot of big clients, but no where near worldwide.

this is what I bet Nintendo's using - an automated system that scrapes over all messages posted, scans for certain keywords (including spoilers), and sends things off to peer review if it sets off a flag.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    It seems fair enough to me. shit needs to be filtered, especially when there are a variety of cultures and kids online.

And when everyone is watching game of thrones. Fuck you, guy that wrote spoilers on the toilet. You reckon they'll flag spoilers of awesome non-videogame things too?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    hadoken wrote: »
    It seems fair enough to me. **** needs to be filtered, especially when there are a variety of cultures and kids online.

And when everyone is watching game of thrones. **** you, guy that wrote spoilers on the toilet. You reckon they'll flag spoilers of awesome non-videogame things too?

Probably not. Why would they?

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I have a couple of friends who used to work for a company that made filtering services for school. It was an automated system that flagged off of certain words and images (yes, it could do images), and would send the information off to the company for human review. They had a lot of big clients, but no where near worldwide.

this is what I bet Nintendo's using - an automated system that scrapes over all messages posted, scans for certain keywords (including spoilers), and sends things off to peer review if it sets off a flag.

This wouldn't be able to flag the swapnote-style drawings. Scanning pictures for inappropriate content involves matching them to existing known pictures with similar content.

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    NSMBU looks awesome. No idea how anyone could say its just a respin of the tired NSMB formula (at least in terms of looks). NSMB2 on the other hand looks really plain next to U.

As more time passes since the horrible Tuesday conference I'm definitely warming up to the thought of getting a Wii U at launch. Lego City, NSMBU, Pikmin, and Rayman Legends all look pretty amazing. If it's a cheapish downloadable title Trine 2'll be awesome as well.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options

This wouldn't be able to flag the swapnote-style drawings. Scanning pictures for inappropriate content involves matching them to existing known pictures with similar content.

Surprisingly, examples of swapnote dongs exist. ;-)

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Yeah I saw that. Totally bizarre. Don't know if the original was an older picture shown by mistake or the controllers on the floor were beta models. Either way, a very confusing mistake.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I don't really like that the right stick and face buttons are in the "wrong" place. I don't think it'll be too hard to get used to, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited June 2012

Surprisingly, examples of swapnote dongs exist. ;-)

It wouldn't be able to match them. Search Google by image with a line drawing of an elephant, and you'll only see another elephant by random chance.

elephant in this case is a euphemism

Color and contrast are important for this type of image matching and a completely black and white drawing wouldn't give it enough to go by. At least as far as I know given our current level of technology. False positives would be certain, and kids would be confused when they try to draw a dog bone and their Wii tells them it's inappropriate.

edit: dog bone in this case is not a euphemism

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I'll just do a very well-rendered drawing of a mushroom with two rocks at its base.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

you are denying what the internet was born for

• Options
    Came across this video of Project P-100 today

Jump to about the 1:50 mark.

That's really cool. A third-person view of your character on the gamepad but the overhead view of the building he's in on the TV. Giving me Four Swords vibes.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Project P-100 looks really fun.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Yeah I saw that. Totally bizarre. Don't know if the original was an older picture shown by mistake or the controllers on the floor were beta models. Either way, a very confusing mistake.
    The only thing that bothers me about the controller are the analog sticks. God damn slippery little convex nubs, make them concave like God intended.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular

I'm really liking the E3 version of the controller, it's much better than the straight-up ripoff of the 360 controller.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

I'm really liking the E3 version of the controller, it's much better than the straight-up ripoff of the 360 controller.

Personally, I think this controller looks like it belongs to a special edition to a game rather than being a normal controller.

Either that or it belongs mounted on a wall like a trophy where my guests can see it.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Per RMC from GoNintendo:
    This information comes from a long-time reader that has been very trustworthy with information. I don't want to give out there name, as I want to keep them safe. Just believe me when I say that info they've given us in the past has been spot on.

- Wii U will be 'about $300)
    - expect the big push for Wii U to kick off in September
    - Nintendo Land will 'definitely' be a pack-in
    - don't expect a digital version since the physical copy will be packed in with each box

All sounds very plausible to me. We'll find out what rings true in a few months!

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=178965

Giant grain of salt and all that, but I hope this is all true.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Per RMC from GoNintendo:
    This information comes from a long-time reader that has been very trustworthy with information. I don't want to give out there name, as I want to keep them safe. Just believe me when I say that info they've given us in the past has been spot on.

- Wii U will be 'about $300)
    - expect the big push for Wii U to kick off in September
    - Nintendo Land will 'definitely' be a pack-in
    - don't expect a digital version since the physical copy will be packed in with each box

All sounds very plausible to me. We'll find out what rings true in a few months!

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=178965

Giant grain of salt and all that, but I hope this is all true.

Sounds believable to me.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Mystic TerrapinMystic Terrapin Shelled Sorcerer Dark LandRegistered User regular
    I was kind of hoping NintendoLand would be on the system digitally instead of a disc, but we'll see I guess.

Nintendo Network ID: Ghostosaurus
    3DS FC: 0774-4319-6018
    PSN:GallantJay
This discussion has been closed.