As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Creamstout wrote: »
    Played Rubick to counter a Tide, too bad that guy was an Anchor Smashing Fiend.
    I can't envision taking Rubick as a Tidehunter counterpick ever playing out in your favor. Grabbing a single powerful spell like Ravage sounds good, but the extremely low cooldown on Anchor Smash coupled with the fact that it's practically impossible to see a Ravage without also being stunned by it means you should never get it if the Tidehunter knows what he's doing. In theory you might be able to pull it off with a BKB and ridiculous reaction time, but in practice stealing his Q is going to be the best-case scenario, and that's not terribly impressive.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Anchor smash is changed from a passive to an active.

Rubick is added to the game.

The timing on these changes was not a coincidence.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    easier to use him to counter enigma

hes just channeling away his black hole on your teammates

YOINK

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    yeah, people don't realize to drop the dumb aoe that enigma has after using a good spell (ie Most Annoying Stun, Pushing Through the Roof, or his ultimate, Throwdown at the Disco)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Huh, wish I'd learned why Vengeful Spirit was always banned in tourney games, she's a mean support that can easily carry. Also...that damn short cool down, low mana stun of hers is ridonks.

• Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I will be dumbfounded if Rubick doesn't become a first ban especially in the push meta. If you grab any other push spell to go along with fade bolt, you are an anti-push monster. Then after an initiation you have whatever you want.

Plus he wins an ass ton of mid lanes that you would not expect because he has a nice animation and HP base. Beats Invoker, beats PotM, beats Rhasta.

You are the Bruce Lee, you just become water mang. If they dual a lich mid you start eating creeps too, to punish his only advantage.

Basically any items are viable on him. I'm so suprised I can pick him every game after the first few days of release.

I suppose to have to be a bit experienced to use him properly.

Unfortunately I am in some sort of doom queue where I play with Brazillians and Ruskies all day, and DotA client won't even give me an inkling of where I stand.

redraptor on
  • Options
    There was a time, before her stun duration was rescaled, when many Vengeful Spirits would only put 1 point into stun early, then get stats and wave. Made her ridiculous for roaming, since the mana cost of her stun goes up a lot.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    is the defense on the rubick patch? or is it agreed to play like he isn't in or something

i mean i do love him and he seems like the shit but i dont know if he is as ridonkulous at winning mid as you think redraptor, seems to me you're probably just beating pubs

or maybe i haven't seen him in a competitive match yet

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    I love seeing Rubick mid. Easy lane. Probably easy kills, too. He doesn't have the mana to support fade spam and isn't mobile enough to really rune control, and can't even use the farm as well as most other mids.

He does need the levels, though.

stream
  • Options
    yeah, rubick mid is a lot like an invoker mid who doesn't have cold snap --- he really doesn't have the mana to go aggressive, he needs the levels there, but unlike invoker, he really doesn't have too much defense against power mids like storm, qop, lesh, etc.

competitively i think he has a place, sort of a foil counterpick/strong support (like a support lesh/bane?), but i don't think he has the ubiquity competitively that chaos knight has. chaos knight is the real house in the latest patches, most tournaments are no new heroes since the tournament starts so you don't see it, but really he is first ban phase/first pick phase material easily.

reality rift WAY too stronk. plus he's basically tailor-made to own in a trilane.

plus the thing with the push meta is it is strong right now specifically because its stronger than general antipush. rubick is an alright antipush, kind of like mirana with a powerful creep nuke, but it doesn't do much to stop enigma + lesh or something on your towers.

• Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    As a new player, should I be picking beginner heroes each match or should I focus on one or two? I kind of want to pick a good support-ish char and just playplayplay.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Lich is good for newcomers, in teamfights you really only need to get a decent ult off.
    In lane you don't have many mana issues and can just spam your nuke and sacrifice.

• Options
    yeah, i do know that sometimes they do agree not to have certain characters, waiting for bugs to be fixed etc. they did that for the qualifiers i think just after the CK PA gyro patch, and rubick was the night before the defense (to release the defense ticket) so i guess maybe they "banned" him for the Defense since he still could be buggy

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    Tournaments sometimes enforce a soft ban on new heroes, and in dota 1 a new hero in the cm pool is often permabanned. By this method they push other permabanned heroes back into the picking pool.

More than likely he's just not being picked. Rubick gets a little bit of play in SEA, but he's been in the CM pool for a while in dota 1 and nobody really cares. His mana problems and his need for levels make him a fringe pick, and the way picks and bans work out are not in his favour: you can't first pick him, and if you want to counterpick with him they can easily ban him first.

stream
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I'm pretty sure Rubick isn't in the -cm pool in DOTA2 yet.

http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Patches#June

Patch on the 11th adds CK, PA, Gyro to the game, the hero picker patch on the 14th adds them to the -cm pool.

Rubick was added on the 20th and the only patches since are quick bug fixes.

E: Just checked in game and Rubick is autobanned in -cm.

Also just found out if you try and fill with bots in -cm, they will pick their heroes like normal, during the drafting time, and not draft anything. Now I'm here waiting to see if anything happens at all when I fully draft a team.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    Of course, that was dota 1. Rubick can do a lot more in dota 2. He might get picked.

stream
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    As a new player, should I be picking beginner heroes each match or should I focus on one or two? I kind of want to pick a good support-ish char and just playplayplay.

I have been thinking about this a bit lately. I'm pretty sure I started out playing mostly SD just to get experience with as many heroes as possible but I suspect that made me lose a lot, though I can't really remember.

My advice today would be to choose a few heroes from different categories. You can start out with one Strength, one Agi and one Int. For example Sand King, Venomancer, Lina.
    Note: I think new players should play heroes that have a lot to do and that can be useful in many situations. Many heroes that are often recommended because of their simplicity are actually really hard if you aren't good at positioning or farming or any of the other more nebulous skills required to be a good player. Skeleton King is one of those, without enough farm or good grasp of when to be aggressive he is veeeery difficult.

Then as you get more comfortable/knowledgeable start adding more roles/nuances to your roster of heroes. Maybe you feel the team need a powerful pusher, or a solo mid hero, or carry. Let the roster grow naturally but never be afraid to try something outside your comfort zone either.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular

there are a few i would stay away from but a lot also depends on how well you can micromanage

tidehunter is a good one beginer one.

i would either stick a to a stable of heroes or just random each game

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Alternatively use this:
    http://divinecourage.dy.fi/

For maximum fun

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    So I got a beta invite for this. I play league, and have never played dota at all. I know it's different enough that not much carries over from league. Are bot games worth trying out to get some of the different mechanics down?

• Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    So I got a beta invite for this. I play league, and have never played dota at all. I know it's different enough that not much carries over from league. Are bot games worth trying out to get some of the different mechanics down?

Play Co-op vs bots.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Play some against bots to familiarize yourself with the items, the map (jungle spawns etc) and to get used to some last hitting. But try to start playing for real ASAP.

Shouldn't be too hard for a LoL player to get into the swing of things once you get over the initial hurdle.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    This is what I did when I first started playing Dota 2 after not having played DOTA in 6-7 years.

Just choose all pick and play with every hero once. You'll get a feel for the game and some muscle memory on how to last hit and deny with the different heroes you have. You'll also gain knowledge by how everyone's spells and ultimates work. Don't worry too much about winning your games. Just focus on not losing your lane. That is the priority. You have just dipped your toe in the water of DOTA. Now it is time for you to take the plunge.

Watch some videos by people like Purge and others on youtube for certain heroes you are interested in. Pick like 3-5 heroes that you had fun playing with and try to pick them in games to gain mastery. Check out videos on more advanced techniques like jungling and ward placement. Also ganking/roaming in general.

I like dotafire.com for up to date guides on different heroes made by a community. Some are better than others but the main takeaway is many guides give better item builds than what you get default from Valve. Keep playing and dont' try to argue with people online about anyone's skills/feeding/etc...it is simply not worth it 90% of the time.

• Options
    amoomooamoomoo Registered User regular
    Lich is probably a guy to start with. However I think you should just start with who you think looks cool and fun to play. My first to play was Windrunner, she is definitely not the easiest to play effectively if you are new but I had fun and eventually managed to get quite good with her. Some people say a newbie should take supports and such. I disagree with this strongly. For example picking a Vengeful spirit and playing well will rely on you having good positioning and map awareness to do good ganks, doing a good swap to save a carry from sure death etc. I say just take who you think is fun and roll with it. You will have more fun that way. Also learn to ignore all the flamers and trolls. The sooner you learn not to care about them the better.

• Options
    i completely forgot they wait a week before they add a new person to the cm pool in dota 2

man all i want to see are big rubick plays

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    CM pool?

smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    Captains Mode: the game mode where teams take turns banning and picking heroes. Its what is used for competitive play, new heroes aren't added to it immediately to reduce the chance of bugs sneaking through etc

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    yeah i am surprised at pudge's hook being able to hook a lot of things

one of the recent videos of "dota 2 mythbusters" showed it being able to hook storm spirit and morphling out of ball lightning/waveform and there he even does it on jugg's ult

that's pretty crazy

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    woohoo for little weirdities of implementing things in the wc3 engine!

the reason that kind of stuff works is very similar to why smoke against panda split works, etc

i mean, i think ravage in this game is still functionally identical to the wc3 implementation, which was just a set of impales splayed out 360 degrees

• Options
    edited June 2012
    nealcm wrote: »

one of the recent videos of "dota 2 mythbusters" showed it being able to hook storm spirit and morphling out of ball lightning/waveform and there he even does it on jugg's ult

that's pretty crazy

Suffice it to say I was pretty surprised when he hooked me out of my sandstorm as Sand King.

Also last night I saw finally saw the horror that is a fed Phantom Assassin, by the end she could one shot me for 1000+ damage.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    Had my first semi decent match (against bots ;/) with Venomancer. Went all into his little turret. So awesome! So many killing blows.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    As a PSA to any new people to the game. Similar to LoL; just because the enemy team is hard pushing your top lane tower, does not mean you need to all drop everything to go defend it, nor do you need to 1 man defend a multiple enemy push. Sometimes the tower's not worth it, and it also means they've probably left other lanes wide open for farm and easy pushing.

I just took a serious verbal lashing as Tiny because I decided it made more sense to trade towers and get multiple waves worth of free farm/xp as a bonus. I hate teams like that, people who think they're game experts, who can't understand anything above basic moba strategy, and spend all their time watching what everyone else is doing rather than concentrating on themselves.

Also, anyone have any good pointers for dealing with brewmaster? I seem to lose every game/team fight when I'm up against one. I have no idea how to deal with his ult.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Wow just had the funniest beginning of the game. Was rushing towards rune against Rubic level 1 as Axe. He telekinesis's me to the high ground and leaves me there. I wasn't even mad. Took like 5 minutes before courier was upgraded and I could bring myself a TP. Careful rushing against rune on the right side at least against Rubic.

Khaczor on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    EDIT: Damn it all, this isn't the Smite thread.

And then I accidentally double-posted instead of editing this post. I'm on a roll!

Wyvern on
  • Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    nealcm wrote: »

that's pretty crazy

Suffice it to say I was pretty surprised when he hooked me out of my sandstorm as Sand King.
    Well, Sandstorm is basically just channeled invisibility. Anything that works on an invisible hero (i.e. any AoE or skillshot-type spell that doesn't outright require an individual target) is going to work on him. Except maybe auto-targeting stuff like Chain Lightning or Diabolic Edict...I can never remember what's willing to target invisible heroes and what isn't.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I was going to wait for Naga, but I can't sleep so I may as well get some of this out of my system.

Going to spew a bit about how cc works in dota, because it's not always clear and there are a bunch of different types.

Slows generally work the way they say they work. Because of the wc3 engine some slows that are based on the same ladder spells don't stack. I'm sure this will change in dota 2, but for the most part a slow just slows.

However, hard disables are very different and come in many different flavours.

The most common is a basic stun. While a hero is stunned--with the little swirly effect above their heads--they can't do anything active. No skills or items can be used. However, all passives still work, which means a hero with evasion can still dodge attacks. This includes Void's backtrack. So just because your Lina landed a LSA doesn't mean that laguna blade is guaranteed.

Next is a snare. An example of this CM's frostbite or Roof's ult. A snare is mostly for disabling movement. The target will be unable to move (they can still turn), and will also be unable to use any mobility skills like blink (or blink dagger, but they can use force staff). However, they can still use any other spell or item, so they're not defenceless. Keep that in mind when attacking a snared opponent, or when you get snared. Passives, including evasion, still work while snared. A snared hero will also be revealed, so they can't go invisible during its duration.

Next, and rarest, is the net. This is what Naga has. Nets work like regular snares except for 2 crucial differences: the target can still attack, and nets go through magic immunity. And though nets do no damage, they still interrupt channelling and disable non-combat consumables like clarity potions. Other than that, nets do the regular snare stuff: prevent invis, prevent blinks, passives still work. It should be obvious that nets are very effective against some heroes. Juggernaut, for example, can be hit with a net while spinning and he will be stuck in place. Additionally, Naga has become a common counterpick in SEA against heroes that rely on movement skills and bkbs, with Lycan being on the top of that list. Meepo has a net, but it's an aoe net and doesn't go through magic immunity.

Last, and certainly not least, is hex. Hex is the god-king of disables. A hex not only prevents the target from using any skills or items, but--aside from doom--is the only way to disable a target's passive evasion. A Void who gets hexed cannot backtrack, making hex a much more effective counter to evasions heroes than a regular stun or snare. The only problem with hex is that it doesn't disable movement, though it does severely reduce it. However, a hero that is forcibly moving at max move speed, like a Lycan in wolf form or a hero under the effects of a haste rune, will keep moving at max move speed.

Any questions!

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    What all goes through Jugg's spin? I was spinning once and got Doom'd out of the spin immediately.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    It's standard magic immunity. Though doom shouldn't have stopped it (it doesn't in wc3 dota iirc).

That would be bm ult, black hole, doom, batrider ult, magnataur ult, void ult, necro ult, sd ult, and roof ult (if cast after the spin starts). Keep in mind that when an spell goes through magic immunity it only applies the disable, never the damage.

Uh-oh!

2qnz4mb.jpg
    Believe!

2ut2fjt.jpg

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    I saw doom coming from the highground, I started to spin to get away, he Doom'd and it silenced me canceling the spin and I got gangbanged. D:

n1woEHJ.png