As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    I randomed Clockwerk and got solo easy lane with N'aix jungle against WR and DR. Jesus Christ, it was a slaughter.

I'd harass them down with my E (Urn+Arcane+Drums, good stuff), and the second they would ever move past the river, N'aix would slow and I'd EQ+Urn. I went 3/2/5 and he was 5/1/3 when they all finally rage quit at 23 minutes.

I wonder why no one plays CW in tournies?

Clockwerk is in kind of a confused spot right now. He's not especially good at any one thing. The metagame is all about pushing right now. He doesn't fit extremely well into a pushing composition, because he's not a great pusher. He can't carry. He doesn't have a stun ability, so he's not as good as other supports you could pick. He's only really good at ganking, and the primary carry picks right now won't die to his ganks anyways.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Another game, another team of all carries, except a Spirit Breaker who more or less fed intentionally. I almost turned it around though, but again the enemy team had stuff like invoker and Rubick and was generally well balanced. The quality of player has suffered since they allowed people to buy their way in, they have a sense of entitlement that they can play any way they want and ruin it for other because they paid.

I honestly have no idea what to do anymore. I'd have to be able to fight all 3 lanes simultaneously to try and win.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    I randomed Clockwerk and got solo easy lane with N'aix jungle against WR and DR. Jesus Christ, it was a slaughter.

I'd harass them down with my E (Urn+Arcane+Drums, good stuff), and the second they would ever move past the river, N'aix would slow and I'd EQ+Urn. I went 3/2/5 and he was 5/1/3 when they all finally rage quit at 23 minutes.

Cause he's horrible against competent enemies.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    übergeek wrote: »
    Another game, another team of all carries, except a Spirit Breaker who more or less fed intentionally. I almost turned it around though, but again the enemy team had stuff like invoker and Rubick and was generally well balanced. The quality of player has suffered since they allowed people to buy their way in, they have a sense of entitlement that they can play any way they want and ruin it for other because they paid.

That's been happening for far longer than the start of paid invites.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    So is Pudge, and Clockwerk has seen a lot more competitive play than Pudge.

There is nothing wrong with him. He's actually pretty good. He's just not in favour right now, and that's the only reason he doesn't get played. In 6 months he'll be in favour again and he'll be picked every game.

Funnily enough, that's pretty much what happened with Alchemist. He may be "the worst" hero in the game, but about a year ago he was actually a high pick in dota 1, and that was after he'd been nerfed, and since then he's been buffed.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Hearing the lot of you talk about all of these terrible people weirds me out. I play on Europe and while plenty of people can't at English few leave games, feed intentionally, or grief. Recently I found myself forced to pick a hard agi carry since all of my team went support, ganker, or initiation. When solo queueing.

Don't drink and post.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    Just got into the beta.

I will be leading pubs to failure shortly.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    we had a pretty good run last night, even pulling a key early game lane switch to lead us to victory (and 4 rage quitters)

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Never played an RTSish moba before (just super monday night combat) and am trying to learn before hopping in. Do we have a PA DOTA2 group?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Just join the Penny Arcade chat channel, I don't think there's a group

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    nope, usually people hang ou tin channel and then ask for party formation. just watch out for that spectre guy, he kill steals

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    There is no kill stealing in DOTA!

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Speaking of spectre, Spectre is a good hero for beginners, but only because she's so boring she'll turn you off playing hard carries for a long ass time.

• Options
    In case anyone was wondering, here's the math.

It takes 5 minutes after a player disconnects for them to get an abandon.

A game will end exactly 1 minute after all 5 players from 1 side have disconnected.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    spectre isn't boring!!! becoming an unkillable death god who can farm but still be in teamfights owns

also radiance owns

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    i owns

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    so I can build a character decently...but man if i can figure out any sort of method to the madness of items.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    i had

the biggest black hole

as rubick.

this is what i live for now

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Damn son Brewmaster is 2 Fast 2 Furious. Starting to love this fat panda bastard.

Also sorry about that random dude Olorin & co. - he saw me playing Dota at the LAN center and automatically assumed we were pals.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Thanks to Furion and the guys. 2 wins, in a row. Pushing 2 lanes and have the guys forcing a fight in the other lane is fun.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    Damn, i really would love to learn jungle N'aix. Time to hit up the youtubes.

I always wanted to try junglers but i played LoL and you had to have special runes for that shizz and it put me off.

smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    lifestealer is an interesting one, you generally have to eat trees and stuff so you only take damage from one creep at a time. for the easiest of jungles, i recommend enigma -- plus, black holes own.

although the real secret to jungling is making sure your solo lane won't die ten times.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    Randomly had a Captain's Mode game come up. Other team's captain was apparently the only non-grouped member of a 4 person party. He proceeded to make picks and bans that upset them, So they all sat in base. We won? Yay? It was odd. And the picks weren't even particularly bad.

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    lifestealer is an interesting one, you generally have to eat trees and stuff so you only take damage from one creep at a time. for the easiest of jungles, i recommend enigma -- plus, black holes own.

although the real secret to jungling is making sure your solo lane won't die ten times.

Chen is actually really easy to jungle with, too. Managing his creeps can be a bit intimidating, but the act of jungling is a cinch.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    It's strange to me that the dota 2 crow doesn't have the continue last delivery button that the dota 1 crow has. Did they run out of hotkeys or something?

stream
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Jungling with LS isn't too hard; there's no real micro skill involved, just macro.

If I'm playing with friends and don't expect to be invaded, I'll run Gloves of Haste and Tagnoes, then courier a salve up to me and rush a Hand of Midas. Otherwise, QB, SS, and a Salve works as well.

First thing you want to do is level up W and then kill the small camp. You most likely won't be able to kill it by 1:00, so at 53 seconds just pull the camp and continue tanking it. Once you've killed those two spawns, follow this guide to solo pull the larger camps.

http://imgur.com/a/EUHUh

Depending on what items you buy, you should be self-sufficient to kill camps without taking damage around 6 or 7. Remember that you can ult big creeps like Centuars and Ursa Warriors to escape ganks and heal yourself.

• Options
    that was a thing? that owns page

hope they end up putting that in

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    They should replace to "Go to secret shop" button with that.
    If you can't send the crow manually to the secret shop you're probably going to run it through mid delivering to safe lane and get it killed anyway.

Maybe I'm just bitter that I have to be idiot police and save the courier all the time because that is not a way a walking courier should be going.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    Servers crapped out last night and my last win didn't count! I didn't get any items from it, either! Boo.

Anyway, here's some random stuff.

The reason hoods and cloaks are considered core on Pudge by many is because rot's self damage is magical. That means that when a Pudge gets magic resistance they take less damage when rot is active. Even a cloak makes a huge difference and is cheap enough to get early on.

On the other hand, Abbadon, the death knight guy, takes pure damage when he casts death coil, so getting a cloak on him will not reduce the damage he takes. However, he has a few other tricks that aren't so obvious to new players. First, aphotic shield absorbs all incoming damage (except for direct hp removal like soul rings), which means that an Abbadon (or a Pudge, for that matter) with aphotic shield on them can cast death coil without taking damage. This can be used as a double nuke to force the aphotic shield to burst while also hitting a target with death coil. Further, when Abbadon is under the effects of borrowed time, where he heals himself whenever he takes damage, he will heal when he casts death coil.

Axe's ult goes right through borrowed time. It's so lame. :<

stream
  • Options
    Noob question:

How do you acquire treasure keys?

smb3banner.png
  • Options
    TheManTrapTheManTrap Registered User regular
    I believe the only way to get them is by paying for them.

• Options
    Apolloh wrote: »
    Noob question:

How do you acquire treasure keys?

you need to buy them in the store using steambucks

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Sicarii wrote: »

Cause he's horrible against competent enemies.

He's not bad, he just demands teamwork to be a real force, (Also a high damage ranged carry.)

nealcm wrote: »
    i had

the biggest black hole

as rubick.

I realized that if he shows up on an enemy team, picking Tiny is a bad idea. There's no shit spell you can spam to defend against his ult.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    i bought some to support GABEN

• Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    They should replace to "Go to secret shop" button with that.
    If you can't send the crow manually to the secret shop you're probably going to run it through mid delivering to safe lane and get it killed anyway.

Maybe I'm just bitter that I have to be idiot police and save the courier all the time because that is not a way a walking courier should be going.

i've lost teamfights because i'm too busy making sure our courier doesn't walk into ten man death thunderdome

messed up priorities

but its just SO DUMB

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    nealcm wrote: »
    i had

the biggest black hole

as rubick.

yea i had some awesome split earth's and whatever Leshracs ult is called as Rubick. it was awaesome and he might be my current fave hero to play

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CreamstoutCreamstout What you think I program for, to push a fuckin' quad-core? Registered User regular
    Played Rubick to counter a Tide, too bad that guy was an Anchor Smashing Fiend. Had another game with a Rubick on my team and we played against Brewmaster. All of Panda's spells are pretty kickass, so Rubick is a decent counter pick against a Panda. We would wipe up a team fight and let one of his Pandas live just to get the ult. Rubick is the best port from WC3 DotA in terms of graphics so far.

• Options
    God it seems like playing Chen is harder than it should be.

smb3banner.png
  • Options
    rchourchou Registered User regular
    Creamstout wrote: »
    Played Rubick to counter a Tide, too bad that guy was an Anchor Smashing Fiend. Had another game with a Rubick on my team and we played against Brewmaster. All of Panda's spells are pretty kickass, so Rubick is a decent counter pick against a Panda. We would wipe up a team fight and let one of his Pandas live just to get the ult. Rubick is the best port from WC3 DotA in terms of graphics so far.

I don't know... the way he bobs his head is really sickening. He kind of looks like some sort of living, wobbling, mold growth jelly.