As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Seriously, I don't know how you guys are getting leavers. Everyone sticks around now for the phat lewt

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    i did finally rush dagon on furion once and it was the dirtiest thing in the world.

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    valiance wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    My core tiny build right now is Mana boots, urn of shadows, and shadow blade. After that it's very situational, but I usually have to prioritize a BKB or some other sort of tank item, rarely get to chase a Dagon or Aghanim's.

you should probably be soloing mid as tiny. start with: quelling blade/stout shield/tangoes --> rush: boots and bottle -->start ganking/freefarm mid --> finish blink --> arcane boots --> whatever

tiny is a really good hero overall buts hes exponentially more terrifying when he gets his blink dagger within the window when his nukes one shot people. you can basically break the game on your own if you can get that. IMO the 1000 you spend on the energy booster is better spent on getting (nearly) half your blink dagger

I think people put to much emphasis on an early blink dagger in pub games. In pro games wherepushes come early and an initiation is key then blink ASAP is amazing but in a pub the laning phase lasts much longer and you can just walk behind people through the river/forest and arcanes speeds up farming as well.

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    khain wrote: »
    My core tiny build right now is Mana boots, urn of shadows, and shadow blade. After that it's very situational, but I usually have to prioritize a BKB or some other sort of tank item, rarely get to chase a Dagon or Aghanim's.

you should probably be soloing mid as tiny. start with: quelling blade/stout shield/tangoes --> rush: boots and bottle -->start ganking/freefarm mid --> finish blink --> arcane boots --> whatever

tiny is a really good hero overall buts hes exponentially more terrifying when he gets his blink dagger within the window when his nukes one shot people. you can basically break the game on your own if you can get that. IMO the 1000 you spend on the energy booster is better spent on getting (nearly) half your blink dagger

I think people put to much emphasis on an early blink dagger in pub games. In pro games wherepushes come early and an initiation is key then blink ASAP is amazing but in a pub the laning phase lasts much longer and you can just walk behind people through the river/forest and arcanes speeds up farming as well.

sure arcanes speed up farming, but you're mainly farming for a blink dagger. which you'd be halfway to if you skipped the arcane boots :P
    I mean this is mostly what I do solo mid. its not the gospel, just how I feel tiny is best played if you want to solo mid and put the team on your back--or at least capitalize on his strengths.

I just sidelaned tiny last game and went arcanes first and roamed and then got blink off the strength of the ganks. either way works

• Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Seriously, I don't know how you guys are getting leavers. Everyone sticks around now for the phat lewt

I honestly don't know. Its very annoying. The game before the last one we were playing with some pubbie chaos knight who fed for ten minutes then abandoned. The game before that our carry did really bad and rage quit at 20. It sucks cause before this I used to be high skill every game and now i've dropped down into the medium skill where I am better than everyone else but my team is even worse.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    i doubt its a problem with the matchmaking. its probably you're just getting a bad streak of games. with this being a team game, sometimes your team just is worse than the enemy team. sucks, and if you are just trying to play the absolute best you can, you can try to offset that. you can play well enough that you win some games, but really eh.

if you are really better than everyone else, carry yourself out.
    pet peeve is matchmaking complaints

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    SagaxusSagaxus Registered User regular
    how to win pub games: take a semi-carry ganker type dude mid and get lots of kills (QoP is great for this). demoralize the enemy by getting a kill lead early. you know how your pubs get all sad and mad and threaten to AFK etc. etc. whenever you start giving up kills and towers? that swings both ways. abuse it. morale is one of the most important resources when you're dealing w/ pubs. you'll rarely win a game when all four of the other dudes on your team have decided they've lost.

and above all:

a4i9N.png
  • Options
    SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

If you're doing well mid and have the bottle, a blink dagger super fast can be scary. On a side lane the arcane boots first will help any laning partners as well, which is great. Or you can go the mildly more aggressive route and go for a quick soul ring and then into the blink dagger.

But yeah, a blink dagger should be pretty high priority. Shadow blade can be countered, and it's more expensive.

Sejarki on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    onoes. double posts?

Sejarki on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Man, I do not remember Rubick being this fun in DotA. The best is stealing omni knight's guardian angel right after he uses it. I haven't gotten a chance to hook pudge yet, but I'm sure that's going to be up there too.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    the key to winning all multiplayer games is to make the enemy sad

sadness is key

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    That seems like one of those terrible "anti-fun" mechanics I've heard so much about.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Man, I do not remember Rubick being this fun in DotA. The best is stealing omni knight's guardian angel right after he uses it. I haven't gotten a chance to hook pudge yet, but I'm sure that's going to be up there too.

watching a rubik omnislash a juggernaut chasing him solo is the most hilarious thing.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Oh man, I hadn't even thought of that. Oh the possibilities.

• Options
    it all started when i laned against an earthshaker as silencer

every time i cursed him i'd quietly sing

"it's my job... to make you sad.......... it's my jooooob to make you sad..........."

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Sagaxus wrote: »
    how to win pub games: take a semi-carry ganker type dude mid and get lots of kills (QoP is great for this). demoralize the enemy by getting a kill lead early. you know how your pubs get all sad and mad and threaten to AFK etc. etc. whenever you start giving up kills and towers? that swings both ways. abuse it. morale is one of the most important resources when you're dealing w/ pubs. you'll rarely win a game when all four of the other dudes on your team have decided they've lost.

and above all:

There's a couple of people I won't play with anymore because they give up so early, and demoralize everyone else by stating how hopeless it is. Repeatedly.

As for carry yourself out. If 3 of your team feed, or even 4. No one short of antimage is going to wipe the entire enemy team solo, with careful hit and run tactics, assuming you have the time to delay their pushing. Maybe Lycan? This wouldn't be much of a team game if you could do it consistently. This also means you better have antimage on your team, and in this situation it better be you, otherwise it does no good.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    If three/four guys on your team are the all you can eat buffet for the enemy team, that's when you realise you're not going to win every game no matter how good you are. Just do your best, learn from what you did and win the next two games you play.

• Options
    Oh my god. I go Krob after talking to page, the rest of the team takes huskar, sniper, clinkz and Dragon knight....

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    Honestly I don't mind losing normally. Its just to the point where I do the best I can and I lose because oh hey we have a feeder who quits and then everyone else leaves. This last game it was still feasible for me and my friend to win 4v5. Then the earthshaker quits since its leaveable and whoops its a 3v5. So i dunno what you jerks saying "lol carry yourself out" expect to happen. In an even game sure we could. But as soon as you are a man down it gets exponentially harder to do. Down two guys? pretty much impossible unless you were already knocking on their ancient.

My complaint isn't that matchmaking sucks. I just wonder sometimes how it works when for days now this is all it can give me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Guess what, my sniper left about 10 minutes into the game. Yay!

Enemy team is Puck Ursa Lycan CM and Invoker. No, I'm not allowed to have a balanced team.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular

Yeah, last night (I think?) Furion played Rubick and in the same game killed juggernaut with an omnislash and bloodseeker with a rupture. It was the best thing ever.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    http://www.own3d.tv/EpiCommentary/watch/681795

This is the most action packed beginning I've ever seen. Hahahaha. Seriously everyone should watch this match between Mouz and Darer.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    Just got my invite. First game i played, when a Sniper used his ult and got the kill, "Thanks for standing still, wanker!" made me lol for quite a while.

smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    First time I actually played against a Rubick who wasn't severely handicapped tonight...

He sure is fucking annoying when you have Death Prophet on your team.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »

It seems to happen at the lower skill levels. I just came back after about 2 months of not playing, and all of my games have been extremely low skill. I've seen a leaver in about 20-30% of my games since I started playing again. My favorite was a QoP who actually first blooded me as Invoker because I made a really dumb mistake, only to rage quit when I killed her a minute later.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    CorriganX wrote: »
    http://www.own3d.tv/EpiCommentary/watch/681795

This is the most action packed beginning I've ever seen. Hahahaha. Seriously everyone should watch this match between Mouz and Darer.

Holy shit that game was bananas.

Wtf was Darer even doing?

fsmith1 on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    So I had a Lycan pull the most annoying strategy I've yet to encounter in this game tonight. His team had started to lose, so he bought teleport boots and spent the next 30 min. straight pushing lanes. As soon as we got to him, he'd pop his ult and run, then teleport to another lane and push that. He had my team running fucking circles trying to keep him from wrecking barracks. It finally got so annoying that I bought a second pair of teleport boots for Tiny and started doing the exact same thing to his team. That fucker stretched out what should have been a ~45 min game into a 70 minute slog fest of the enemy team turtling while lycan pushed towers.

Looking back on it now, I guess we should have just let him solo take a lane's barracks while we 5 man pushed down mid.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Lycan with BKB and Ulti (probably Basher procs too) is one of the most annoying things in Dota.

Buying BoT, though, that's just being a dick.

• Options
    You could always do the whole team buying necro books and pushing without them having a way to stop you.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    That match was a blast to watch, but I gotta say...
    watching darer go for that rosh around 6 times was somewhat painful.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    So a couple of pages back I was whining about NP being overpowered? Well, I decided that if you can't beat em, join em. So I've been playing NP all day and been doing just as I saw: Push push push push push. Every wake moment I push. Every deserted lane I push. They come after me? I tp to the other side of the world and push. I jump into teambattles when they are going on and then I go right back to pushing-business. And sure enough, there seems to be very little they can do about it. Even when they win teamfights against us, they still have to take care of their lanes and no matter how fast they run or tp or whatever, I will ALWAYS be faster. At some point I also completely outfarm those poor souls and even if their best carry comes after me, I'm doing just fine. I think I've won like 9 out of 10 games with this, which is a VERY unusual rate for me. I've won a game, where even though we lost pretty much every teamfight and the enemies were all several levels above us, it was still impossible for them to take care of all the megacreeps I got out of all the pushing. It was so fun to watch, that eventually we just wanted to stay in our fountain and laugh. Good times.

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    a properly played nature's prophet is a pain to deal with if your team isn't on the ball with stopping him the first couple of times he tries to solo split push.

the first couple of times he tries, you need to tp in enough people fast enough that you will guaranteed kill him. set him back a little bit, and hopefully he won't be safe pushing. but like you said, its really easy to get going against most people, and once nature's prophet sets up a decent pushing lead, its really really hard to get back.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    My favorite part was when I saw their maincarry push our top lane by himself and I decided to welcome him decently, so I tp into the trees right above the tower. As soon as he shows up, I pop my Treant-spell and jump out from the trees just like a naked girl from a cake! He liked the surprise so much that he raged instantly!

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    So I had a Lycan pull the most annoying strategy I've yet to encounter in this game tonight. His team had started to lose, so he bought teleport boots and spent the next 30 min. straight pushing lanes.

I did this before and won a game 30-60 just outpushing them. Most pub Lycan's luckily don't realize how hard he can push.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Great game as Alchemist last night. 9-3-15

Gettin' better, though almost all heroes can fuck up his stun. BUT half the time they end up stopping me from casting it until the 1 second mark and I do even more damage/stun to them for the trouble.

He's a blast to play.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    IDK if we can be friends anymore Spectre.

Liking Alchemist is like saying you're a big fan of Hitler, but a little more despicable.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I really like the in-game tournament viewer for The Defense. This is nice.

Edit: The only complaint I have is sometimes live matches don't show up for me. The only way I can get them to show up is to quit the game start it up again, and that's a pain. They need to have a refresh button or something for the tournament viewer.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    pardzh wrote: »
    IDK if we can be friends anymore Spectre.

Liking Alchemist is like saying you're a big fan of Hitler, but a little more despicable.

His strategy is admirable Lou, purposely taking someone considered sub par and then stomping the enemy because they've never really fought an Alch before. Not quite as bad as picking Eve in LoL, and you'd end up with a higher chance of actually winning.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    For those unknowing, imagine if Icefrog nerfed Ursa to complete uselessness because pubs couldn't handle him.

That's what happened to Eve in LoL. At least with Alchemist if everything goes badly you can use his ult and enjoy the ogre's heavy grunting.

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    I randomed Clockwerk and got solo easy lane with N'aix jungle against WR and DR. Jesus Christ, it was a slaughter.

I'd harass them down with my E (Urn+Arcane+Drums, good stuff), and the second they would ever move past the river, N'aix would slow and I'd EQ+Urn. I went 3/2/5 and he was 5/1/3 when they all finally rage quit at 23 minutes.

I wonder why no one plays CW in tournies?