As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Diablo III: Thread over, much like windup wizard

• Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    My worry is what Blizzard considers "improvement".

Because they seem to consider D3 an improvement over D2.

Which is...a problematic stance when discussing anything other than graphics or screen resolution.

Or the ease with which you can join your friends and start killing monsters.
    Or the ease with which you can trade with other players.
    Or how interesting and challenging the combat is end-game.
    Or how much of the game is viable to farm end-game.
    Or if you have a viable and easy-to work with game currency.
    Or how many dupes work.
    Or how easy it is to transfer items between characters.
    Or how annoying it is to resurrect your follower.

Now hold on, I think your statement is starting to look like straight honking goosery.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    BountyHunterBountyHunter Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Blizzard finding out about the hack in the same week is pretty goddamn impressive.

Despite them handling a response as best as possible (and one of the best I've seen) I fully expect loud-mouth internet idiots to rage about Blizzard's "incompetence" in this. Prevention is not absolute, sheesh.

Yeah, the official forums are doing what you thought they'd do.

The Official forums is a valid tool for that. things are up to date.. They just need to utilise this tool properly. which in this case, they did.

wouldn't you rather they devote all their available manpower to making the game better? (at least in principle )

Hmm?

My point, in that thread, was that Henroid's guess that the official forums would go "olol blizzard" over the news was a good guess.

Allright. my mistake then.. i thought you meant the official forums were doing the job of finding out issues instead of blizzard (about the security issue)..

me and my selective reading..

D3: iNaddict#1252
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/iNaddict
    PSN: iNaddict
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    anyone have insight on life steal versus loh for a WW wizard? I picked up a 950 dps 3% LL crit damage sword for cheap and I did a test vault run before relisting it and everything went fine, but vault is pretty trivial at the moment so I don't know if that means anything. my health refilled pretty quickly.

• Options
    Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    JAEF wrote: »
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Blizzard has been hacked, might want to change your passwords.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/securityupdate.html
    Or you know, just have an authenticator.

Then you can just set your password to 123.

Info on the tokens was also taken, if it included enough information to generate the keystream then the (current) authenticators are worth as much as a piece of toilet paper in terms of security. The information taken would definitely include the id of the authenticator, but they aren't saying exactly what was or what wasn't taken in regards to it.

The secret answer/question business is also not cool, since most people likely use similar questions for ease of memory (there's no real security benefit to secret questions, which drives me nuts when a site requires ye olde mother's maiden name and other details that are stupidly easy to look up).

Blizzard isn't as bad as some, but their security still isn't great.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    My worry is what Blizzard considers "improvement".

Because they seem to consider D3 an improvement over D2.

Which is...a problematic stance when discussing anything other than graphics or screen resolution.

Or the ease with which you can join your friends and start killing monsters.
    Or the ease with which you can trade with other players.
    Or how interesting and challenging the combat is end-game.
    Or how much of the game is viable to farm end-game.
    Or if you have a viable and easy-to work with game currency.
    Or how many dupes work.
    Or how easy it is to transfer items between characters.
    Or how annoying it is to resurrect your follower.

Now hold on, I think your statement is starting to look like straight honking goosery.

But why join your friends? (You only get penalized for it)
    The ease at which you can sell stuff at hyper-inflated prices, you mean. (Bot driven economy in full force, why trade? $$$!)
    You just called Inferno interesting. (Wow. Just wow)
    You can farm vendor trash in all acts, you're right. (I too love getting lvl 63 weapons with 100 dps!)
    You have an accurate report on how many duping methods are in circulation? (My guess: you don't. But what does it matter when everyone can just $$$ their items?)
    Shared stash: the new shit. (Mind blown)
    ...hey, you're right. They improved follower resurrection.

I can see people calling D3 a good arpg, but calling it a general improvement over D2 makes me wonder if I've fallen into some kind of bizzaro alternate universe where everyone's expectations are super low and D2 was an 8 bit facebook game about raising cows.

/opinions

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    RofflorRofflor Adventurer Registered User regular
    I think inferno is fun and a good enough end game for now.
    I can't farm act 3 super easy and have to be careful in act 2 not to die.

Wich is more then I can say for d2 where all acts got super easy pretty damn fast. I did really not like the "rush the same boss 400 times without any challenge" loot system it had.
    I vastly prefer running around with elites that at least tries to kill me, and I don't have to skip any pack if I play correctly.

76561197968655073.png
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    @_j_ Good sir, and your MF farming ways, I call upon thee!

My DH: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Caretta-1196/hero/2255633

I am looking to upgrade her, cheaply. By cheap I mean, I would like to keep the upgrades at about 500k if I can, less is better. I may be willing to go as high as 1mil if its super great.

She's just an alt, so my primary focus now is getting cheap MF. I play her in groups with friends. Not much soloing. My next slot I was thinking about targeting is the gloves. Now, I'm looking, and I can get gloves with +cirt damage, +crit chance, +MF, and +75ish dex, for about 500k. My question is thus: will the +crit damage cover the loss of about 150 dex over my current gloves? Or would I be better off waiting and getting a +200ish dex, +MF, +crit chance set to replace my current gloves?

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    Well, crap. I wonder how long this has been going on. My account got hacked in the early days, so I got an authenticator. I still just changed my password to be safe paranoid. I really hope they find the bitches that did this and put them in federal-pound-me-in-the-ass-prison.

• Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    I want them to announce the damn MF changes.

Right now I'm sitting on MF gear and don't know whether to sell it or hold onto it.

If they nerf gear swap and persons have to make a MF / DPS set, then the prices on these items will go up.

If they cap MF or nerf it, then the prices could go waaay down.

Grrr.

I can't fucking wait for them to remove swap. I'm a fuckin billionaire if they do. I'm sitting on at least 30 items with magic find, some of them BIS quality.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    The official forums are a hot froth of misinformation, wild conjecture, nerd rage, finger pointing, name calling, petty goosery and general depravity right now. Its like watching a thousand tiny train wrecks. I don't want to see it and can't look away.

Cog on
  • Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    I got an authenticator. no need for password change.. though mine is quite long anyway...

In other news.. my barb is 60 yay !!
    For players on North American servers (which generally includes players from North America, Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia) the answer to the personal security question, and information relating to Mobile and Dial-In Authenticators were also accessed.

Additionally, we'll prompt mobile authenticator users to update their authenticator software.

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    I come here for my Diablo 3 news and such--the official forums frighten and confuse me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Children, the patch changes are out! http://d3db.com/news/id/296-patch-104-system-changes-by-wyatt-cheng/

Huh.
    We’re increasing the health of normal monsters by approximately 5%-10% in Inferno, but also increasing the likelihood they drop magic or rare items by a factor of four. We’re correspondingly lowering the health of Champions and Rares by 10-25% and editing specific affixes to shrink the difficulty gap

We’re adjusting some of the more frustrating monster affixes, such as Fire Chains and Shielding...We’re getting rid of the Invulnerable Minions monster affix.

The raw damage value on all level 61 and 62 weapons will be able to roll damage that extends all the way to the top end of level 63...we’re improving two-handed melee weapons by creating a new set of stronger affixes to compensate for the loss of stats that can come from your offhand.

We’re removing Enrage Timers and the “heal back to full” behavior from Champion and Rare monster packs.

Good fucking show.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    I liked Invulnerable Minions. :(

• Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    Every single one of those changes is exactly what the game needs, I'm very satisfied.

P.S. from two and a half months ago:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5568797259

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    so in 1.0.4 we’re going to be reducing repair costs of high-end items by 25%.
    woot woot

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    All of that stuff sounds great. Can't wait to see the breakdown of class updates.

Also can't wait for the shitty Diablo 3 community to find ways to mope about it somehow.

• Options
    I mean, I'm now going to rofl my way through everything rather than still wrestling with some of the trickier champion packs. But I am okay with that.

ladi.png
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Also the weapons boost for lvl 61 and lvl62
    To help give weapons a fighting chance, the raw damage value on all level 61 and 62 weapons will be able to roll damage that extends all the way to the top end of level 63.

That implies that my 6 affix dagger plan that I learned might possibly be worth crafting now?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Incindium wrote: »
    Also the weapons boost for lvl 61 and lvl62
    To help give weapons a fighting chance, the raw damage value on all level 61 and 62 weapons will be able to roll damage that extends all the way to the top end of level 63.

That implies that my 6 affix dagger plan that I learned might possibly be worth crafting now?

Possibly. It might make the crafting odds better but it could still pan out to be a statistically bad investment. You'll have to wait for better info on the new odds.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    I doubt it, you'd be putting all your hopes on rolling very high specific affixes, unless crafting costs for weapons get reduced.

• Options
    See, that is how you update your goddamn community.

• Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    The co-op changes are great. I love playing with friends and even in public games, but didn't very often for obvious reasons. If someone isn't up to snuff on killing speed because they loaded up MF, you can always just leave. Block them if you have to.

• Options
    Still a few weeks away though! In a few weeks I'll be playing GW2 dammit!

ladi.png
  • Options
    Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    While I think a lot of these changes are nice and necessary, none of these changes make me want to start playing again. The changes to legendaries and class skills will have to be pretty big to revitalize the player base if this is all they are changing.

Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    BountyHunterBountyHunter Registered User regular
    Jibba wrote: »
    I got an authenticator. no need for password change.. though mine is quite long anyway...

In other news.. my barb is 60 yay !!
    For players on North American servers (which generally includes players from North America, Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia) the answer to the personal security question, and information relating to Mobile and Dial-In Authenticators were also accessed.

Additionally, we'll prompt mobile authenticator users to update their authenticator software.

In the words of Darth Vader... "DOOO NOOOTTT WAAAAAAAANNNNNNNTTT"

D3: iNaddict#1252
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/iNaddict
    PSN: iNaddict
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    LOL
    As a general reminder though, existing items are not changing. The Legendary improvements are going to be for Legendaries dropped or crafted after the 1.0.4 patch goes live.

Time to dump my legendaries nao.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    The hardest and most frustrating part of this game is finally seeing a cheaply priced upgrade, having the auction expire at like 3:30am local time, waking up to find you've been outbid and then seeing it immediately reposted at 10x its price.

I didn't really need that 900dps monkfist...

:x

• Options
    LOL
    As a general reminder though, existing items are not changing. The Legendary improvements are going to be for Legendaries dropped or crafted after the 1.0.4 patch goes live.

Time to dump my legendaries nao.

They have communicated clearly and consistently for months that the updated legendaries were not going to be retroactive.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Oh really? I didn't know. I browse the thread but sometimes it moves so fast I can't keep up.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    I'm actually a little disappointed that current champ packs will take such a hp hit. I honestly don't feel inferno needs to get much easier, outside of a few affix adjustments. Everything else sounds reasonable.

• Options
    While I think a lot of these changes are nice and necessary, none of these changes make me want to start playing again. The changes to legendaries and class skills will have to be pretty big to revitalize the player base if this is all they are changing.

From the profiles I've seen linked here and SE++ not too many of us have cleared Inferno, and we're probably some of the more dedicated players out there. The lower co-op hp and weaker champ packs will encourage those people to get back in.

For those of us who have already seen behind the curtain they will need a bit more, but even this is enough to encourage me to just hop on and left click some stuff til it explodes.

ladi.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    The legendary market would be total chaos if the change were going to be retroactive. There are many dozens of garbage legendaries that sell for basically their worth as brimstone right now, but if they could theoretically change into really great items people would be aggressively snapping them up and hoarding them for speculative profit. It would be a really odd state of affairs and it makes sense why they decided to do it this way.

Not to mention the changes being made to legendaries are probably too extensive to shoehorn onto existing items. They would have to basically reroll every extant legendary in the game drawing from the new affix pool and rules, which is maybe something that their item database can't do with millions of items already identified out in the wild.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    I bet a lot of legendaries will increase in ilvl to go along with increased power. Wouldn't make sense to retroactively improve all the ilvl61 grandfathers when the new ones are going to be ilvl63 after the patch.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I imagine the legendaries worth having right now aren't going to be significantly changed anyways

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Well look at that. Blizz actually listens ;)

• Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    But why join your friends? (You only get penalized for it)
    Joining your friends is plenty of fun, was always a fine idea pre-inferno and still a good idea in many situations in Inferno. No matter how much you want to deride the incentives for playing in parties, I've gotten a lot of use out of it and it's a clear winner of a feature. You pretty much can't deny that joining your friends is better in D3 and you're really reaching here.
    The ease at which you can sell stuff at hyper-inflated prices, you mean. (Bot driven economy in full force, why trade? $$$!)
    Where do I even begin? Prices for items have been going down, not up. And "why trade?" Because it's always been and still is the best way to upgrade your character? If you're having trouble upgrading, it's not because the bots are keeping you down. Even if gold inflation was significant, that would mean you sell your drops for more as well.
    You just called Inferno interesting. (Wow. Just wow)
    I said Inferno combat was more interesting than D2, and it is. D2 is very static, predictable and easy compared to D3. Fighting champs in D3 you have to thread your way around arcane sentries, keep on the lookout for frozen bombs and ration defensive skill use. D2 was pressing a button at a pack of monsters until they died. Given the fact that you didn't actually have an argument here, just an unfounded dismissal, I'm guessing you didn't really think about the differences in combat between the two games.
    You can farm vendor trash in all acts, you're right. (I too love getting lvl 63 weapons with 100 dps!)
    Is this even approaching a point of some sort? Most items were trash in D2 as well. Good items do drop, and that's plainly obvious. Or do you want every ilvl 63 item to roll with near max damage and good stats?
    You have an accurate report on how many duping methods are in circulation? (My guess: you don't. But what does it matter when everyone can just $$$ their items?)
    With the character profiles out, yeah I'm pretty sure there's not. I've seen some godly items on several different profiles but never a repeat. If there was a dupe out those guys would be all over it by now. Even in hacking circles people who claim to have dupes are routinely ridiculed and called out.

As for your next point, you say that duping doesn't matter because people can sell items for cash. Again, a point that doesn't actually make sense. Yes, you can pay someone to play Diablo 3 for you and farm items. But that doesn't significantly change the trading dynamics of people who don't engage in that activity. When you get dupes, you get a ho-jillion copies of an awesome item: and nothing that you could ever farm can compete with it. Your work in obtaining items legitimately doesn't mean squat anymore. The fact that someone wants to pay real world money for someone else's farmed item doesn't skew the market in this way.
    Shared stash: the new shit. (Mind blown)
    ...hey, you're right. They improved follower resurrection.
    I'm arguing against the assertion that "the only thing improved in D3 is graphics" by bringing up these blindly obvious points.
    I can see people calling D3 a good arpg, but calling it a general improvement over D2 makes me wonder if I've fallen into some kind of bizzaro alternate universe where everyone's expectations are super low and D2 was an 8 bit facebook game about raising cows.

/opinions

Yeah you missed the context of my post. _J_ was saying that the only thing better in D3 was the graphics, which is nearly the goosiest thing I've heard in any PA Diablo thread. I recognize that someone can like D2 more than D3, but this is just ridiculous.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Not to mention the changes being made to legendaries are probably too extensive to shoehorn onto existing items. They would have to basically reroll every extant legendary in the game drawing from the new affix pool and rules, which is maybe something that their item database can't do with millions of items already identified out in the wild.

Plus items that are set to change drastically may end up being terrible for someone that they're currently ideal for. Your "improved" legendary might end up being totally worthless for your particular class/build after the change, if they made the changes retroactive.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Apparently the price of brimstone has doubled since the 1.04 preview was uploaded?

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »

From the profiles I've seen linked here and SE++ not too many of us have cleared Inferno, and we're probably some of the more dedicated players out there. The lower co-op hp and weaker champ packs will encourage those people to get back in.

For those of us who have already seen behind the curtain they will need a bit more, but even this is enough to encourage me to just hop on and left click some stuff til it explodes.

I don't think that the co-op hp and champs packs is why people stopped playing. Personally I stopped trying to advance in Act 3 just because I didn't see much of a point. I had been lvl 60 since hell and I find that farming is just more efficient in Act 1. I think they need to add a further leveling component and have that component reset like the D2 ladder.

Time is a flat circle
This discussion has been closed.