Options

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Not the shooter) -- Out Now. Use New Thread.

• Options
    thepizzaelementalthepizzaelemental Registered User regular
    Yeah, I guess I don't think much about retailers because I do almost all my gaming on PC. Plus there's a Wal-Mart right next to my local Gamestop and an HEB down the street, and pretty much the only thing Gamestop has that they don't is used games. And sometimes better peripherals.

MH3: B77AE9 - Natou
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Jake Solomon, GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER just rolls off the tongue, though.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Huh?

Muton aren't just meat puppet shocktroopers the aliens donate to your crack team of psionics?

Try having a game where you never meet Sectoids, the commander, or manage to get a live one.

I've won one of those... a few times.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    My first X-Com playthrough I didn't get any psi. I didn't think the mutons were that bad.

Pretty much everyone had high accuracy and laser rifles/heavy plasma by then though.

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Huh?

Muton aren't just meat puppet shocktroopers the aliens donate to your crack team of psionics?

Try having a game where you never meet Sectoids, the commander, or manage to get a live one.

Liar of things impossible!!

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Man, from the GI review:
    I don’t see any appeal to the multiplayer other than playing a couple rounds with a buddy just to see what commanding mutons and chryssalids is like.

You kidding? A neat point-buy tactics game? This is the Warhammer game I was waiting for.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah, I even actually normally like GI, but everything about that review raises eyebrows.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    I really hope we see them expand multi-player into 2v2, 3v3, with members of the same team moving simultaneously to limit downtime. Would be fantastic to see some nice big battles.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Can I get added to WANGCOM please?

Edit: Thanks!

Bonepart on
    XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I kind've assumed the JSGA thing was because he looks and acts exactly like the guy from Uncharted.

2ez5yiw.jpg

Uncanny.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Well, shoot. They spared no expense,designing JSGA.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I canceled my download preorder and changed it to physical. With the 15 dollars credit to a future purchase it essentially costs the same as the download at 45. Plus it has goodies like the patch. I'd rather get those goodies than Civ 5 which I already have (and don't really like).

Edit: this is at Amazon. Release date shipping ain't bad either.

OpposingFarce on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    I kind've assumed the JSGA thing was because he looks and acts exactly like the guy from Uncharted.

2ez5yiw.jpg

Uncanny.

I don't see it. In fact I think Nathan Drake's face is perfect for that because it looks like he's kind of saying, "How the hell do you think I look like him?"

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    anoffday wrote: »

2ez5yiw.jpg

Uncanny.

I don't see it. In fact I think Nathan Drake's face is perfect for that because it looks like he's kind of saying, "How the hell do you think I look like him?"

You've never done any portrait drawing or anything, have you.
    It's a matter of shape and proportion. Hell, they even have the same haircut and facial hair.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    No, but I have eyes.

I'm not trying to be an ass. I just don't see it. Nathan Drake is cool. That guy is just nerdy.

anoffday on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

2ez5yiw.jpg

Uncanny.

You've never done any portrait drawing or anything, have you.
    It's a matter of shape and proportion. Hell, they even have the same haircut and facial hair.

I have. They still don't have much in common.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    *shrug*

Not exactly worth arguing over. :lol:

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    the eyes and nose are pretty different - drake's eyes are farther apart, and set more deeply, and a little smaller. JS's nose is shorter and much rounder, almost a manly button nose, while Drake's is a sharp-edged wedge, with a prominent downturn. similar facial shape, though, and the mouth is close. they look somewhat similar, but more like possible relatives. JS is just much more round, probably because of his soft, cushy life of not being an action hero.

• Options
    Maybe it's the other guy's smile? I don't know. If you've ever played any Uncharted games, Nathan Drake is a badass. I kind of have a man crush on him, despite being a straight man. But I feel nothing for that other guy.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    guys, you just don't see it because you aren't artists like him.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Frei wrote: »
    guys, you just don't see it because you aren't artists like him.

or I could just be wrong.
    Which would crush me. I have a deep emotional investment in this opinion.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    am I reading steam right? steam XCom is being released on Oct 8th now O.o

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Nah, they are very similar, Drake is just a little sharper.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular

midnight eastern, which is still the 8th in some regions.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Huh?

I remember my ironman run of UFO defense. Found a Muton base just as my PSI program was starting.

Sent my Colonel in with the non-psi troops, kind of a last hurrah. Brutal room by room warfare. No psi, no blaster bombs on our side. Just a handful of grunts versus a base full of hostiles with superior numbers, weapons, and positioning.

Didn't lose a man.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »

midnight eastern, which is still the 8th in some regions.

ah i gotcha.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    For those who haven't seen it, some decent multiplayer, 2k vs Firaxis. Twitch.tv is being kinda...twitchy right now, but it worked for me.

http://www.twitch.tv/2k/b/334414040

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    Does it have LAN multiplayer? Or is it online over steam only?

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    It does, last I heard.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    In the original, how is it that aliens seem to be able to mind control me from anywhere on the map? There are no leaders anywhere around and I'm getting mind fisted

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    In the original, if one alien can see you all aliens can see you. Think of it as a Hive Mind.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    In the original, how is it that aliens seem to be able to mind control me from anywhere on the map? There are no leaders anywhere around and I'm getting mind fisted

Depends. Mind control can be done on any unit that any allied unit can see for both you and the aliens, so if a lowly Sectoid can see your team, you can get MCed regardless of where the psi unit is. And once they MC one unit, they can see the units it sees and another guy can MC those units. And from turn 20 onwards, the enemy automatically knows where all of your guys are. And on top of those items, enemies automatically know who the guys are with the lowest psi ability, which is why aliens are almost always successful when they go for MC.

About the only upside to the whole thing is that once the MCing starts up, you can make a list of guys who always get MCed so you know who to fire and who to give psi-training without having to waste a month to find out they're useless.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Are the aliens wearing orange cloaks?

If not, it's because mind control works if ANYONE sees you.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

...this game is bullshit

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    they have psychic squad sight

just like they have regular squad sight

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

...this game is bullshit

You have the same ability. If your scout can see a guy then so can your sniper still sitting near the skyranger.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    About the only upside to the whole thing is that once the MCing starts up, you can make a list of guys who always get MCed so you know who to fire and who to give psi-training without having to waste a month to find out they're useless.

You don't fire the guy who always gets attacked, you disarm him and leave him where the aliens can see him. That way they try to MC him and can't do anything rather than trying to MC the guy with the Blaster Bomb Launcher. Use their knowledge of who is weakest against them by using him as a honey-pot.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Couple corrections. Turn 20 just gives the aliens a "burst" of seeing everyone. After a few turns of not being seen, they lose track again.

And recent code dives confirmed (contrary to conventional wisdom) that seeing one guy doesn't mean the aliens see them all. It's just the skyranger has semi-transparent tiles.

• Options
    By the way guys, a quick google makes it clear that Steam will ban you for connecting using VPN to get around the preload.

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    The number of times I've seen these multiplayer matches screw up something because of the time limit really makes me want to avoid playing anything but unlimited.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
This discussion has been closed.