Options

Skyrim: Now with realistic horse vaginas! Dragonborn DLC out 12/4.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I just don't get people that have maxed these things. They take a while unless you spend a good deal of time just going from town to town buying ingredients, making the optimal recipes and resting to reset the stocks. I just used whatever I came across for the needs I had and even late into character level 50's I had gotten around 75 in the crafting skills.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    oh please, this isn't even close to breaking alchemy

back in the morrowind days breaking alchemy meant raising your stats so high that you were invulnerable but every weapon would break with a single swing and if you hit the jump button you would never come down

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »

back in the morrowind days breaking alchemy meant raising your stats so high that you were invulnerable but every weapon would break with a single swing and if you hit the jump button you would never come down

Also if your speed (I think?) was high enough you could literally run through the world's geometry

now what would be great is if they wrote that stuff into the fiction as a warning about excessive alchemy use

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    what I'm saying is that if you'd never experienced a leap year before this would mathematically be the longest year of your life

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I max smithing out easy because

I love smithing

armor for everyone!

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    oh please, let me reintroduce you two
    dragonborn meet alchemy, alchemy meet dragonborn

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Wait so were you like vibrating through them like the Flash

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    math jokes!

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    yeah I seem to remember speed in the millions being a problem

walking would be safe, because walking moves at a fixed rate, but as soon as you toggled run and hit a movement key you'd just reappear at the closest obstruction in your path

or you'd go out to sea

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I don't know anything about programming but I imagine the game would lose track of where you were in the world and collision would get all fucked up

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I miss acrobatics so much you guys

• Options
    I do too

Even though it resulted in me hopping around like a maniac everywhere

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Never gonna miss acrobatics or athletics. Jump enchantments for all.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    CrowbawtCrowbawt Member of the Midnight Crew Registered User regular
    I miss being a Khajiit, jumping onto rooftops and outrunning horses

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Moriveth wrote: »

I don't know anything about programming but I imagine the game would lose track of where you were in the world and collision would get all fucked up
    I don t know for sure, but I'm about 99% sure that the engine simply calculated collisions per frame. Normally a slight change is easily accounted for, but at those rates you could easily move forward a far enough distance in a single frame that your body collider would be well below the collision geometry for the world and, having nothing underneath it, would simply drop you into nothingness.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    That sounds reasonable!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I do too

Even though it resulted in me hopping around like a maniac everywhere

I miss being able to jump higher and fall further but it still ain't gonna stop my manic hoppin'.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    So what I'm getting is that Destruction is no good

destruction is no good compared to smithing superweapons and getting instakill backstabs everywhere

it's just fine for actually playing the game

Yeah, destruction is if you want some challenge. 2h warrior is if you like walking uphill through the snow. Maxed out sneak, might as well be using the console kill command. Speaking from experience, with my ~300 damage ebony dagger (I have no idea how I managed to make it that good) paired with maximum one handed skill.

Tell me more about how you backstab flying dragons

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular

Morrowind alchemy is so much fun. Having a few hundred thousand points of intelligence suddenly makes enchanting possible! Also, levitation + few thousand points of speed + 100 ft area affect targeted fire spells basically turn you into a flying, vengeful god.

Or, chugging an uber potion that will restore a few hundred points of health or magicka per second for several days.

Game breaking, certainly. I try to only do it after I've already done most of the reasonable things I want to do. Then: Soooperman.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    punching dagoth ur to death without breaking the heart was da bes

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I'm playing Skyrim again

I bought Hearthfire

God help me

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    I'm riding around on a bear

An armored bear

Life is good guys

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I just did a quest in Dawnstar and partway through started getting repeated CTDs. Figured it was probably something to do with all my mods making the game unstable. But nope, turns out it's a bug introduced with the second-most-recent patch, and not fixed in the most-recent patch, which means after a certain point in that quest saving your game will cause a CTD.

Good work, Bethesda!

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Haha ha

That's classic Bethesda

• Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    So are there any games in the vein of skyrim, but perhaps have more options for non-combat related play? My wife likes skyrim but doesn't like the fact that most quest-related missions, no matter how contrived, boil down to "enter a crypt and kill draugr." See: the bard's college quests. She doesn't mind fighting and likes the general style of Skyrim, but would like to see some substantial content that doesn't have combat at its heart. I do kinda agree that the quest system has become much more formulaic in skyrim (however improved it is) from previous games.

Any suggestions?

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    I max smithing out easy because

I love smithing

armor for everyone!

YES. "Oh, dude I just beat up in a bar fight, you want to join me? Uh, well no, but... here, hang out with me for a few minutes and I'll make you a complete set of enchanted dragonscale armor. Oh, you want a nice enchanted glass sword? How about a gold diamond necklace that lets your breathe underwater? You'll be the envy of all your friends when it comes to keg-stand time! ... Okay, now go away."

I enjoy these things.

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Ballman wrote: »
    I do kinda agree that the quest system has become much more formulaic in skyrim (however improved it is) from previous games.

About 90% of the quests in Morrowind and Oblivion were also "go to X and kill Y."

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Morrowind had some great non-violent faction quests. The Temple Pilgrimage (as originally implemented with no fast travel) and the Imperial Cult, especially, with its alms-gathering and ingredient collecting, were actually fairly novel variants on your standard go-to-X-kill-Y RPG fetch quests.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    I hate Morrowind because it is ugly as butts

• Options
    Also my first experience with it was on the console

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    If I'm remembering rightly, Fallout: New Vegas had a decent number of non-combat focused missions. Acting as a bouncer at the weapon shop in... Freetown? or whatever it was called, comes to mind.

I should really get around to playing New Vegas again, I really liked a lot of the missions I did.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Freeside, and yeah that was a fun little thing in NV.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    punching dagoth ur to death without breaking the heart was da bes

My first time beating the game, I went in wearing some black clothing and armed with nothing but a dagger (and wraithguard, sunder, and keening I guess)

In the final chamber (I was incredibly fast with my athletics + speed + low carry load) I began to sprint around, until I realized the heart was in leaping distance

I land, destroy the heart
    and then leaped over dagoth ur when he teleported in behind me
    manage to turn around in time to see the bridge collapse under him

8-)

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    smof wrote: »
    If I'm remembering rightly, Fallout: New Vegas had a decent number of non-combat focused missions. Acting as a bouncer at the weapon shop in... Freetown? or whatever it was called, comes to mind.

I should really get around to playing New Vegas again, I really liked a lot of the missions I did.

doesn't that mission end in a shoot out?

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »

I've been following that for awhile now, it's good to see them making progress like this.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    i played morrowind on console. it was still fantastic

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    So what I'm getting is that Destruction is no good

destruction is no good compared to smithing superweapons and getting instakill backstabs everywhere

it's just fine for actually playing the game

Yeah, destruction is if you want some challenge. 2h warrior is if you like walking uphill through the snow. Maxed out sneak, might as well be using the console kill command. Speaking from experience, with my ~300 damage ebony dagger (I have no idea how I managed to make it that good) paired with maximum one handed skill.

Tell me more about how you backstab flying dragons

Actually, it's funny you should say that. That save was the first one I'd used SPERG with, and there's a perk in archery that gives you a 1 in 20 chance of killing your target instantly, and I had it happen to an elder dragon. Fucking thing flew above Morthal before it landed (I shot it around Shearpoint or something), had a hell of a time finding it.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    is this fixed on PS3 yet

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Ballman wrote: »
    So are there any games in the vein of skyrim, but perhaps have more options for non-combat related play? My wife likes skyrim but doesn't like the fact that most quest-related missions, no matter how contrived, boil down to "enter a crypt and kill draugr." See: the bard's college quests. She doesn't mind fighting and likes the general style of Skyrim, but would like to see some substantial content that doesn't have combat at its heart. I do kinda agree that the quest system has become much more formulaic in skyrim (however improved it is) from previous games.

Any suggestions?

Like others have already said, Fallout: New Vegas has less fighting and less formulaic quests than Skyrim (you can avoid a lot of the shoot-outs if you're being diplomatic), but the presentation is also more violent, so she'd need to be okay with that. There are also a lot less crafting, character customization and housing options in F:NV.

If the last things aren't that important to her, I'd actually recommend looking into Fallout 1 and 2 if she doesn't mind the old graphics. You can play through both of these games without ever directly killing anyone (if you make an effort, there's still random enemies).

This discussion has been closed.