As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Industry Thread] Impossible Games sets the speed record for studio closure

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Fuck, they said Tangled.

Guess which princess is my daughter's absolute favorite?

Tiana?
    *Sigh* No one likes The Princess and the Frog :(

I do, but it largely has to do with the geographical location of my residence.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    It never fails to me amuse me to hear the same guy who voiced The Arbiter and played Childs in The Thing also voice a singing jazzy voodoo witch doctor in a Disney movie.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Ok, I understand it's not to be taken literally, and the other info basically means some of this will be taken care of, but here's a few thoughts from the group pic that polygon has:

1) Only Phineas, no Ferb (or maybe it's the other way around)?
    2) No Will Turner or Elizabeth Swan?
    3) No princesses?
    3) But they do include Syndrome's henchwoman and Edna from The Incredibles?
    4) And whats-her-name the witch from the Pirates movies?
    5) Ooh, the G-man from The Incredibles. I always wanted to play as him. :P

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Ok, I understand it's not to be taken literally, and the other info basically means some of this will be taken care of, but here's a few thoughts from the group pic that polygon has:

1) Only Phineas, no Ferb (or maybe it's the other way around)?
    2) No Will Turner or Elizabeth Swan?
    3) No princesses?
    3) But they do include Syndrome's henchwoman and Edna from The Incredibles?
    4) And whats-her-name the witch from the Pirates movies?
    5) Ooh, the G-man from The Incredibles. I always wanted to play as him. :P

I would honestly not read much into that photo. Other than:
    1.) The starting franchises are Incredibles/Pirates/Monsters Inc so there will probably be more characters from those featured
    2.) Whoever made the thing probably picked a bunch of characters he/she liked from confirmed franchises :P
    3.) And/or they had to pick from "finalized designs" and not everything has been finalized yet.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Yes, let's not forget that Disney also owns the entirety of the Muppets and has merchandising deals (if not actually owns as part of the Lucas deal) with Indiana Jones, on top of Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Marvel, their own characters, and Pixar. This is literally a license to print money.

Edit - and Nightmare Before Christmas which is already a small gold mine for them.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    Weren't they unable to put Will Turner or Elizabeth Swan in the Pirates section in Kingdom Hearts as well?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'll be done in by basically anything they put in there from the Disney Afternoon

Show me the Duck Tales figures, Disney

• Options
    Kryhs wrote: »
    Weren't they unable to put Will Turner or Elizabeth Swan in the Pirates section in Kingdom Hearts as well?

I'm guessing they didn't want to pay for Orlando/Keira's likenesses (and they weren't part of their contract or whatevers)

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options

I'm guessing they didn't want to pay for Orlando/Keira's likenesses (and they weren't part of their contract or whatevers)

I thought at least Elizabeth was in Kingdom Hearts 2. They can easily do a "look-alike" where it doesn't look exactly like the actors but close enough to be recognizable. They've done this for years with the Indiana Jones video games :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I thought at least Elizabeth was in Kingdom Hearts 2. They can easily do a "look-alike" where it doesn't look exactly like the actors but close enough to be recognizable. They've done this for years with the Indiana Jones video games :P

Both Will and Elizabeth are in KH2.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It's times like this I wish I was a fan of Disney.

I never really realized I was such a fan of Disney till I had kids. The amount of movies/shows that I say to myself "Oh man, yeah, I love(d) that, I bet <daughter> will like it!" and see that it's a Disney owned property is astounding.

There's something in the back of my head that tells me that all of that stuff under one roof should bug me, but I can't be assed to care.

Shit, at this point, if this game is good, let Disney buy WB. Let me have Animaniacs in the game and minus Transformers/GI Joe my childhood would effectively be in the game.

Problem is, anything that I like that Disney had a hand in, is only peripheral to Disney. And none of it matters for this Infinity thing.

Plus, most of the things that they use to hype this announcement come after my childhood. These are just IPs to me. Some I like, some I like more, and the rest I don't care about.

I cannot begin to imagine a game idea that is a potpourri of Disney IPs that would make me want to play. Did you like Kingdom Hearts? I couldn't be arsed enough to care. I grew up in the shadow of the Mouse. To me, Disney is mainly just a theme park. Not home entertainment.

• Options
    KryhsKryhs Registered User regular

Both Will and Elizabeth are in KH2.

Sheesh, then I don't know what the hell I was thinking of...

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    So is this the new "Disney Skylanders' thread?

• Options
    Allforce wrote: »

Until some better news comes along.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Allforce wrote: »

Well, after Disney-landers makes buckets of money, I'm sure tons and tons of clones will come out. Which means it will BE the industry! (kind of like how the current PC industry is thousands and thousands of WoW clones)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Pokelanders is next.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Pokelanders is next.

Nintendolanders

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    If they ever come out with a Digilanders (Digimon) my wallet would be f'ed.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    You hear that? That is the sound of countless executives reaching orgasm at the same time.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The Play Sets are the actual game worlds. So you have a Monsters Play Set, which activate a game world for the Monsters characters, so on from there. Playing through the Play Sets allows you to unlock items and set pieces for use in Toy Box mode.

So Woody can't be used in the Pirates Play Set, but you can unlock Pirates items for Toy Box and accomplish close to the same thing.

Playsets AND toys?

That's evil/brilliant. Evilliant, if you will.

Buy all their playsets and toys! [/CheatCommandosRockRockOn!]

• Options
    Pokelanders is next.

I am actually seriously surprised they haven't done this yet. They already cross-market the games and toys like crazy.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    1st, I'm thinking that Nintendo should have made the mother of all money hats and got Disneylanders to be WiiU exclusive.

Second. I also agree that the relatively high price of the PS3 and 360 at this late date make the pricing of the next gen systems pretty tricky. It seems to me that $400 is the only reasonable price. Any lower isn't realistic given the price of current consoles and any higher is risking a very slow start to the new gen. And a slow start is the one thing that the console gaming industry can't really afford.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Pokelanders is next.

I am actually seriously surprised they haven't done this yet. They already cross-market the games and toys like crazy.

Just one more example of the Japanese dev scene being stagnant and all the true innovation coming from the West.

• Options
    1st, I'm thinking that Nintendo should have made the mother of all money hats and got Disneylanders to be WiiU exclusive.

Second. I also agree that the relatively high price of the PS3 and 360 at this late date make the pricing of the next gen systems pretty tricky. It seems to me that $400 is the only reasonable price. Any lower isn't realistic given the price of current consoles and any higher is risking a very slow start to the new gen. And a slow start is the one thing that the console gaming industry can't really afford.

True. Which is why we will see PS4 at $600, because Sony never learns :P

• Options
    My prediction for the future? Disney to buy the National Debt in five years. Benjamin Franklin will be replaced by Mickey Mouse on the 100 dollar bill. :P

• Options
    Nintendo apparently wants more people to know about the Wii U, to the point where they're going to have a lounge at the Sundance Film Festival.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=194299
    REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo will host several events during this year’s Sundance Film Festival, including a premiere party for the Wii U Video Challenge as well as the Nintendo Lounge, a gaming lounge that gives residents of Park City, Utah, and festival attendees the opportunity to experience and enjoy unreleased Nintendo games for the hit Wii U console and Nintendo 3DS XL hand-held system.

Kicking off the festivities on Jan. 17 is the Wii U Video Challenge premiere party, an event that showcases the talents of the next generation of filmmakers who made films about the next generation of video game consoles. At the event, Nintendo will premiere three short films that feature the exclusive game-play experiences of the Wii U console and New Super Mario Bros. U.

Leading up to this big event, YouTube filmmakers from all over the country were asked to create short films focusing on the unique game play of Wii U and the Wii U GamePad controller. From the pool of talented filmmakers, 12 were selected to participate in the 48-hour Wii U Video Challenge from Jan. 11-13. Forming three teams of four people each, the filmmakers created new films that showcased the fun and exciting game play of Wii U.

The short films made by the three teams will premiere at the Sundance Film Festival in the Nintendo Lounge on Jan. 17 in front of film industry influencers, Nintendo executives and other VIPs. Films will be voted on by the live audience in attendance.

For three days starting Jan. 18, Nintendo opens the doors of the Nintendo Lounge to industry executives and celebrities. On Jan. 21, the gaming lounge opens to the public. The Nintendo Lounge offers the opportunity to take a break from the frigid weather of Park City, relax in a comfortable environment and play a collection of fun Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games.

Wii U video games featured in the lounge include recent releases like New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land, ZombiU from Ubisoft, SiNG PARTY, as well as the upcoming Rayman Legends from Ubisoft and Wii Fit U, the first installment in the Wii Fit series on Wii U.

On the Nintendo 3DS XL hand-held system, many different games will be playable. In addition to New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, three not-yet-released games will be joining the all-star Nintendo 3DS lineup. For fans looking forward to anticipated sequels, Brain Age: Concentration Training, Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate from KONAMI Digital Entertainment, Inc. will be available to play before they hit retail stores.

The Nintendo Lounge at Sundance is located at 738 Main St., Park City, Utah, 84060, and is open to Park City residents, festival attendees and out of town visitors on Jan. 21 from 1-5 p.m.

Remember that Wii U and Nintendo 3DS feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu and http://www.nintendo.com/3ds.

Nintendo is not officially associated with the Sundance Film Festival.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Man, this is going to sound terrible, but when I am not actively in the G&T forum I kind of forget the Wii U actually exists.

• Options
    Well the handful of people that get to attend Sundance will know of the Wii U, at least.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

You know, I wonder if part of the reason Sony's keeping the price of the PS3 so damn high is so they can price the PS4 higher.

A $600 PS4 next to a $150 PS3? Expensive! A $600 PS4 next to a $300 PS3? Not that bad! At least in the mind of an executive.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

You know, I wonder if part of the reason Sony's keeping the price of the PS3 so damn high is so they can price the PS4 higher.

A $600 PS4 next to a $150 PS3? Expensive! A $600 PS4 next to a $300 PS3? Not that bad! At least in the mind of an executive.

How about a $1000 PS4 bundled with a PS3?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

Well I mean you could get that $600 PS4, but the smart money is on the $700 PS4 bundle that comes with Uncharted 4 and an extra controller. Value!

I wish I could say that Sony has learned their lesson from the PS3 really only picking up Steam after proper fucking price drops, but I'm not that naive.

• Options

How about a $1000 PS4 bundled with a PS3?

That solves the issue of backwards compatibility anyway.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

Well I mean you could get that $600 PS4, but the smart money is on the $700 PS4 bundle that comes with Uncharted 4 and an extra controller. Value!

I wish I could say that Sony has learned their lesson from the PS3 really only picking up Steam after proper fucking price drops, but I'm not that naive.

No because I give you exhibit A: The Vita.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Sony just needs to realize that sticker shock trumps bundles every single time.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Sony just needs to realize that sticker shock trumps bundles every single time.

You'd think the $600 PS3 and the more-expensive-less-features PSP Go would have made that abundantly clear, yet the $250 Vita still happened.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Wait until someone combines a MOBA with Skylanders tech.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/15/3880346/disney-infinity-star-wars-marvel
    When asked if Disney Infinity may one day star Luke Skywalker or Marvel's The Avengers, Avalanche Software CEO John Blackburn said, "I hope so!"

"As a developer, I so want that," Blackburn told Polygon. "When Disney bought Lucasfilm, I was like, 'Holy crap! This is awesome!' But at this point in time, there's been some discussions about that, there's just been no decisions made."

Blackburn says the decision about which characters to add to Disney Infinity comes down to which properties are both lovable and "game-able."

"The idea that we usually try to get to is 'what do people love?'" Blackburn explained. "What kind of properties are most game-able? If there's a gameplay mechanic that adds significantly to that mashup experience in the Toy Box, we love those properties, and will bring that into the game."

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    My prediction for the future? Disney to buy the National Debt in five years. Benjamin Franklin will be replaced by Mickey Mouse on the 100 dollar bill. :P

Still only usable inside the amusement parks...

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Wait until someone combines a MOBA with Skylanders tech.

And thus we would come full circle from physical toys to the digital and back to physical toys again.

"Buy the MOBALanders playset! Use the turbo-boost slide for extra character speed! Use hot and cold water to change your character skin colors!"

• Options
    edited January 2013
    "In other news today, several Disney executives were hospitalized with what doctors are describing as deformities of the pupils. One doctor, who wished to remain anonymous, has described the deformities as 'strikingly similar to dollar signs'. No official statement has been made, but the CDC have been working closely with local authorities to identify the cause."

Axen on
This discussion has been closed.