Options

[PS4] 399.99. No DRM. No Online Required.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    And then they somehow ran R&C into the ground.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, that was a shame.

And from everything I hear Sly 4 is pretty awful.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Some new details surfacing from inside sources

http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-4-revealed/
    Development sources with working knowledge of both next generation consoles have told us that PlayStation 4 will be more powerful than the next Xbox, will ship with a redesigned controller and launch by the end of the year in Japan and the US. PlayStation 4’s European launch will follow in early 2014.

Sony is set to reveal its next PlayStation on Wednesday February 20th at an event dubbed ‘see the future’. Sony Computer Entertainment released a teaser video last night to announce the event. Below, our sources revealed what to expect from PlayStation 4.

The controller

Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

The launch

We’re told that PlayStation 4 will launch in Japan and the US by Christmas, with a Euro rollout following in early 2014, the delay attributed to the complexities involved in European distribution. Alongside the console, Sony will also introduce a new, improved iteration of its PlayStation Eye peripheral, which remains compatible with the PlayStation Move controller. Move will be available at launch, but it’s not clear yet whether it will be bundled with the hardware. Sony has already earned an enormous amount of goodwill among studios working with PS4 development hardware. Privately, Sony representatives have conceded that the company made a mistake in creating such esoteric architecture for PS3, and its strategy for PS4 gives developers more opportunities this time around, notably because the hardware is much more PC-like in its makeup than PS3.

We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbis’s 4GB, Sony’s GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB.

Both platforms are driven by eight-core AMD CPUs clocked at 1.6GHz, with Microsoft opting for a D3D11.x GPU from an unknown source and Sony utilising a more capable solution in AMD’s ‘R10XX’ architecture, alongside the so-called ‘Liverpool’ system-on-chip.

It’s clear Sony has designed a system that, on paper, outperforms Microsoft’s next Xbox. One source familiar with both platforms tells us that in real terms Sony’s console is “slightly more powerful” and “very simple to work with”.

Ultimately, the performance differences between the two consoles will have as much bearing on multiplatform releases as the differences between PS3 and 360 – very little – but Sony will be expecting big-budget firstparty releases such as the PS4 Uncharted sequel to demonstrate its console’s superiority.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it awful.

They had a horrible, horrible start, but the PS3 is my favorite system this gen.

They're miles ahead in their online strategy (not counting online multiplayer) than either Microsoft and Nintendo, and they had some great original IPs.

Could not agree more with all this. I bought the 360 at launch and stupid thing died on me so many times. I think by the time I finally gave up I'd gone through 4 consoles. The games weren't super imo either. That said I scoffed at the ps 3 too but now i actually own it, fucking love the thing. My entire family uses it too, first gaming console I've gotten everyone to enjoy. Downside is that I rarely get to use it now.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »

They had a horrible, horrible start, but the PS3 is my favorite system this gen.

They're miles ahead in their online strategy (not counting online multiplayer) than either Microsoft and Nintendo, and they had some great original IPs.

Could not agree more with all this. I bought the 360 at launch and stupid thing died on me so many times. I think by the time I finally gave up I'd gone through 4 consoles. The games weren't super imo either. That said I scoffed at the ps 3 too but now i actually own it, fucking love the thing. My entire family uses it too, first gaming console I've gotten everyone to enjoy. Downside is that I rarely get to use it now.

I'm in the same boat. I liked my 360 but hated paying for gold and generally the exclusive games for it really weren't my thing. When I got console banned I moved onto PS3 and have played it much more than the 360 and between Plus, the HD PS2 remakes and the exclusives on the console I'm much, much happier.

Sony does so much right - it's a shame their marketing and pricing just seems to kill any momentum the other areas gain.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    All of those are a good thing. I hope they space the analog sticks a little bit more than the DS3 controllers. If I press right on the left stick and left on right right stick my thumbs clash and I hate that. Otherwise I'm pretty excited. I'll eventually get one but since I have a kid coming in June I'm sure this will have to wait.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    QA0gqsY.jpg

:D

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Yes Sony had quite a few great games and yea their online is better than the competition...however, I was referring to the fact that this Gen has been one HUGE money sink for them.

Rough start for the PS3, PSP Go was a huge loss, and the struggling Vita. Not to mention some of Sony's studios have been taking money from Sony and have not yet released a game this Gen...or have only released one.

I hope things improve for them going into next Gen.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Well, enjoy your PS4s America and Japan. Thanks for making Europe wait, Sony.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    I'll probably end up getting a PS4. I was on the wagon for consoles this generation, but they made the decision just so easy for me. Between the Blu-Ray player (which I only use once in a while) streaming from my media server and Plus, I don't think I can imagine being happier with the product.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    darleysam wrote: »
    Well, enjoy your PS4s America and Japan. Thanks for making Europe wait, Sony.

I for one am glad. I got a home extension to fund this year. But seriously, if Microsoft release worldwide before Christmas;, I wonder what sorta effect it'll have on European sales of the ps4?

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    As it stands...I'm never giving money to MS again.

I was also one of those that forsook them in favor of the PS3...it was a great decision.

It'll be a while but if I get another next Gen console besides my WiiU, it'll end up being the PS4.

Now Sony, debut a new Ratchet title for it and I'll grab one at launch. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Meh, not excited about this. I'll be getting a WiiU later this year, so that + my 3DS + my PC should mean more than enough games to play.

Better graphics don't really excite me at all and I don't think they're gonna offer anything interesting beyond that, so I'll pass.

Unless Persona 5 is a launch title, in which case fuck you Sony, and take all my money.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    What are the odds on a PS3 price drop? I kinda want to get one just to grab GT5 and Ni No Kuni

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    We'll never see "less" games. It's a multi-billion dollar industry and everyone wants a taste and there will always be people trying to get in on the action.

Launch games - Battlefield 4, something from the Infamous team that will blow our minds, Ubisoft new IP (will probably be for New XBox as well), bunch of sports games that aren't much better than current-gen. New or ported Call of Duty, Skylanders.

We're already seeing less games from the AAA publishers, according to Gamasutra.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular

Ditto. I began this generation buying most titles on the 360, and ended it buying most titles on the PS3. I'm not even sure there was any reason for the switch. It just happened slowly.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    What are the odds on a PS3 price drop? I kinda want to get one just to grab GT5 and Ni No Kuni

I'd say pretty good once the PS4 is released. In 2007 I bought a PS2 for, like, €50, so hopefully we'll see the same kind of price drop this time around.
    I'm probably gonna do the same then..I also wanna check out Ni No Kuni, among other games likes Yakuza or FF 13.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I'm torn. I think Sony's got better first-party games than Microsoft, but thanks to the massive change in programming architecture (since Cell's going away) I'd be surprised if Sony could carry all the past PSN games over. Microsoft's got a better chance at network BC since they'll have less of an API change. But we'll see what the two actually do.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The Share button is something I been hearing about for a while now and if true sounds fantastic.

Add some social media hooks to it and it could be really, really cool.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'm torn. I think Sony's got better first-party games than Microsoft, but thanks to the massive change in programming architecture (since Cell's going away) I'd be surprised if Sony could carry all the past PSN games over. Microsoft's got a better chance at network BC since they'll have less of an API change. But we'll see what the two actually do.

Didn't Sony buyout Gaikai, the streaming gaming service? I would think they could utilize backward compatibility through that. Would make sense if they're doing this screenshots and video upload thing too.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    i have mixed feelings about new consoles. have to wait and see what the price points are i guess, and what the games look like. and what the bc situation is, especially re digital stuff.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Orbis/PS4 Specs (as of Devkits/Leaks)
    LIVERPOOL SOC

Custom implementation of AMD Fusion APU Arquitecture (Accelerated Processing Unit)
    Provides good performance with low power consumtion
    Integrated CPU and GPU
    Considerably bigger and more powerful than AMD’s other APUs

CPU:

Orbis contains eight Jaguar cores at 1.6 Ghz, arranged as two “clusters”
    Each cluster contains 4 cores and a shared 2MB L2 cache
    256-bit SIMD operations, 128-bit SIMD ALU
    SSE up to SSE4, as well as Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX)
    One hardware thread per core
    Decodes, executes and retires at up to two intructions/cycle
    Out of order execution
    Per-core dedicated L1-I and L1-D cache (32Kb each)
    Two pipes per core yield 12,8 GFlops performance
    102.4 GFlops for system

GPU:

GPU is based on AMD’s “R10XX” (Southern Islands) architecture
    DirectX 11.1+ feature set
    Liverpool is an enhanced version of the architecture
    18 Compute Units (CUs)
    Hardware balanced at 14 CUs
    Shared 512 KB of read/write L2 cache
    800 Mhz
    1.843 Tflops, 922 GigaOps/s
    Dual shader engines
    18 texture units
    8 Render backends

Memory:

4 GB unified system memory, 176 GB/s
    3.5 available to games (estimate)

Storage:

- High speed Blu-ray drive

single layer (25 GB) or dual layer (50 GB) discs
    Partial constant angular velocity (PCAV)
    Outer half of disc 6x (27 MB/s)
    Inner half varies, 3.3x to 6x

- Internal mass storage

One SKU at launch: 500 GB HDD
    There may also be a Flash drive SKU in the future

Networking:

1 Gb/s Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n WIFI, and Bluetooth

Peripherals:

Evolved Dualshock controller
    Dual Camera
    Move controller

Extra:

Audio Processor (ACP)
    Video encode and decode (VCE/UVD) units
    Display ScanOut Engine (DCE)
    Zlib Decompression Hardware

UPDATE: some people is confused about the GPU, here you have more info about it:

Each CU contains dedicated:

- ALU (32 64-bit operations per cycle)

- Texture Unit

- L1 data cache

- Local data share (LDS)

About 14 + 4 balance:

- 4 additional CUs (410 Gflops) “extra” ALU as resource for compute

- Minor boost if used for rendering

Dual Shader Engines:

- 1.6 billion triangles/s, 1.6 billion vertices/s

18 Texture units

- 56 billion bilinear texture reads/s

- Can utilize full memory bandwith

8 Render backends:

- 32 color ops/cycle

- 128 depth ops/cycle

- Can utilize full memory bandwith

If both leaked specs for Orbis and Durango are true, on paper Orbis is a more powerful system while Durango will still have the successful Kinnect (2.0) and their media center marketing to lean back on. The both have piratically the same CPU with very different GPUs (Orbis's being more powerful) and different RAM layouts.

Orbis has 4gb of super-fast GDDR5 (176 GB/s), the ram you find in your graphics cards. Durango has 8gb of traditional DDR3 (68 GB/s) and a small 32mb of fast ESRAM (102 GB/s, still slower than PS3 memory) and a much larger OS memory footprint from reports at 1-3GB. So yeah, Orbis's main ram is 2.5x faster than Durango's and 70% faster than it's small 32mb of fast ram.

Edit: Sony may boost their ram up to 8gb in the final version. I'm not sure how I feel about that as 8GB of DRRR5 would be expensive and the 4gb they have will already out-process the 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM Microsoft has. And I doubt the move. Because again, GDDR5 is fucking expensive.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    QA0gqsY.jpg

:D
    Fake Kaz right? Cause he just threw Vita under the bus.

I am also very happy with the controller being redesigned. I love my PS3 but hate the controller. I just pick up third party controller that have a better feel to them.

Algertman on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

ew

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    The Dual Shock with a VMU touch screen sounds neat. Dreamcast, finally hitting the big times.

reVerse on
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

ew

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't most developers given up on the rear touchpad?

• Options

ew

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't most developers given up on the rear touchpad?

Well if they have, good thing this one is a front touch pad.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »

ew

Not entirely sure that's a massive improvement, but we'll have to see if anyone uses it in cool ways.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

ew

Not entirely sure that's a massive improvement, but we'll have to see if anyone uses it in cool ways.

Launch games will be forced to use it, but then nobody will touch it again.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options

ew

Having your inventory or map there instead of having to open a separate menu seems like an infinitely cool idea, as many Wii U games have already demonstrated.

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Yay!

I might not even buy a PS4 but as a videogame geek, I'm excited for new things.

• Options

ew

Having your inventory or map there instead of having to open a separate menu seems like an infinitely cool idea, as many Wii U games have already demonstrated.

You're thinking touch screen. If it's like the rear touch pad on the dual stock then it'll just be plain black pad.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    My PS3 is just a glorified Netflix streamer nowadays.

My biggest problem with console gaming is that the games are just too damn expensive. I'm just so sick and tired of $60 4 hour long games, especially when I can wait for Steam sales and spend that $60 and get 10+ games with it.

• Options

ew

You're thinking touch screen. If it's like the rear touch pad on the dual stock then it'll just be plain black pad.

Good point, they do say pad, not screen. That's less interesting.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that was a shame.

And from everything I hear Sly 4 is pretty awful.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Sly 4 looks awesome.

And I'm pretty sure the fooling around with R&C is entirely on Insomniac. They're clearly just turning into a shooter studio, so R&C has been relegated to their North Carolina studio. Full Frontal Assault was still good though.
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Yes Sony had quite a few great games and yea their online is better than the competition...however, I was referring to the fact that this Gen has been one HUGE money sink for them.

Rough start for the PS3, PSP Go was a huge loss, and the struggling Vital. Not to mention some of Sony's studios have been taking money from Sony and have not yet released a game this Gen...or have only released one.

I hope things improve for them going into next Gen.

The first three or so years of this gen were obviously a huge hit to Sony but I don't really think that applies for the last few years, as they've been doing pretty well.

And I'm also not sure what you're talking about in relation to Sony's studios. Which Sony studios haven't released a single game? None, as far as I'm aware. Team Ico, sure, but they're only one relatively small team within Japan Studio. And the only one that I can think of that's only released one game this gen is Polyphony Digital, who produced Sony's most profitable game this gen.
    Orbis has 4gb of super-fast GDDR5 (176 GB/s), the ram you find in your graphics cards. Durango has 8gb of traditional DDR3 (68 GB/s) and a small 32mb of fast ESRAM (102 GB/s, still slower than PS3 memory) and a much larger OS memory footprint from reports at 1-3GB. So yeah, Orbis's main ram is 2.5x faster than Durango's and 70% faster than it's small 32mb of fast ram.

Though the Edge article posted above says that Sony have told developers that they're looking at increasing the 4GB to match the Durango.

I love all the pre-launch tech talk.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Talking about the touch pad got me thinking: what will the PS4 add that truly couldn't be done with the PS3? That seems to be the big question this generation, as we're reaching severely diminished returns from horsepower and loads of new stuff kept being patched in the PS3. That's the main reason Nintendo tried the whole tablet thing.

I guess there's the touch pad, and maybe the "share" button... a dedicated share button doesn't sound too exciting but I was surprised at how much fun Miiverse is on the Wii U, so I guess it depends on how it's implemented.

Oh, there's also whatever the hell BigFest is:
    A Sony trademark suggests the publisher could be working on the next generation of PlayStation Home. In a trademark filed on February 6, 2012 (and published on January 1, 2013), Sony outlines a service called “BigFest” that would bring players together.

The trademark describes a service that involves “hosting on-line web facilities for interactive game play; hosting web sites of others for video and computer games or parts of video and computer games created by others on a computer server for a global computer network.” It also mentions “introduction and social networking services, namely, introducing video game players to each other for the purposes of playing multiplayer games online, participating in online games communities and competitions, and online player networking and social introduction.”

The trademark specifically mentions Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) and lists the address of its London office. The original PlayStation Home was developed by SCE London and served as the PlayStation 3's avatar-based social network hub.

Interestingly, visiting bigfest.com currently forwards to PlayStation’s official UK site. The Whois data for bigfest.com lists Sony Computer Entertainment Europe as the registrar.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/29/is-bigfest-sonys-new-playstation-home

Am I forgetting anything?

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    i dont want some stupid touchpad on my dualshock. i know this.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Talking about the touch pad got me thinking: what will the PS4 add that truly couldn't be done with the PS3?

Better processor, video card and RAM make myriad things possible that weren't before. Example: GTA on PSone -> GTA3 on PS2.

But we've been through this several times in the industry thread. People like you refuse to acknowledge that with greater power come bigger, better games, so there's no point in talking with you about it because you refuse to listen.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Talking about the touch pad got me thinking: what will the PS4 add that truly couldn't be done with the PS3?

Better processor, video card and RAM make myriad things possible that weren't before.

But we've been through this several times in the industry thread. People like you refuse to acknowledge that with greater power come bigger, better games (GTA on PSone -> GTA3 on PS3), so there's no point in talking with you about it because you refuse to listen.

...well, that's certainly constructive.

It's not just me asking this question. There's a reason this generation has stretched on for so long, Nintendo keeps adding crazy new control things, and Microsoft keeps pushing ahead with Kinect even though it's cooling off. Plus the ginormous war over whether the PS3/360 was more powerful and how it would limit games didn't amount to a hill of beans.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    pheknophekno Registered User regular
    My PS3 is just a glorified Netflix streamer nowadays.

My biggest problem with console gaming is that the games are just too damn expensive. I'm just so sick and tired of $60 4 hour long games, especially when I can wait for Steam sales and spend that $60 and get 10+ games with it.

This, right here.

I was a huge PS3 fanboy when it was launched, but also got a 360 and a Wii. Each had it's own pros and cons, and at the time I was really in to console gaming. That said, I have now discovered Steam and gotten a new giant gaming laptop, so I'm way more interested in that, and don't think I can justify spending money on a new console at this point. My current consoles (the aforementioned PS3, 360, and Wii) have been collecting dust for quite some time. I can't get enough of Steam, and between it, Amazon, GMG, and the Humble Bundles, I have more games in my backlog than I care to mention. It's just so much cheaper to buy games that way.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.