As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Webcomics Hollow

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I'm trying to stress this in another thread:

That game's art is intentionally ridiculous. I don't think people are taking it the right way, and people are sure as hell paraphrasing the artists statements to Kotaku's Jason Schreier (a writer I like, but who I think missed the mark on this). I also think the writer came off sounding dumb, but I don't think this is something you need to boycott the game over.

That said: The art syle being intentionally ridiculous doesn't make it any less crazy, and that might make you not want to buy it.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Most people I've seen were posting a picture of the facebook page, not sure how that's really paraphrasing.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    ScolbertScolbert Registered User regular
    i thought he was being sarcastic about the iconic part

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    dragons-crown-royalty.jpg

This doesn't look very ridiculous

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Scolbert wrote: »
    i thought he was being sarcastic about the iconic part

not really
    I think it’s fair to say that if it weren’t for the words “Dragon’s Crown” etched at the bottom, many people wouldn’t understand that they were looking at language. Imagine the same refracting prism applied to people, and actually you don’t have to imagine it, because that’s literally the whole game.

The only characters here who aren’t fucking mutants are the Elf and the Wizard, who are there to calibrate the player; everybody else is some fun-house exponent of strength or beauty stretched into some haunted sigil. Iconic isn’t even the word - they don’t evoke icons, they are icons. They’re humans as primal symbols.

It’s very weird to pull up a story about a game with frankly visionary art and hear why it shouldn’t exist, or to hear what I supposedly fantasize about, or what kind of power I supposedly revere, and any attempt to defend oneself from these psychotic projections or to assert that creators may create is evidence of a dark seed sprouting in the heart. It’s an incredible state of affairs. They’re not censors, though - oh, no no. You’ll understand it eventually; what you need to do is censor yourself.

he means they're distorted and exaggerated to the point of not being representational, they're more symbols of the character class than any attempt to realistically depict a person

mind you, that still leaves you with the problem that the depiction of "wizard" is just "a big pair of tits"

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    That "alternate game" was designed for Keith

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, again, I'm not saying it's "good" or "right" I just think there's more too it than "lol i love swole tits".

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    seriously though learning how this game is the spirtual successor to Shadow Over Mystara:

0r4FXBC.png

one of my all time favorite beat'em'ups, got me super excited

but I really don't want to give any money to a game where the character designs are that embarrassing

Those guys are wearing animal skulls to guard their loins. Are w-we sure there isn't a connection somewhere???

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Yeah, again, I'm not saying it's "good" or "right" I just think there's more too it than "lol i love swole tits".

True, there's also "you must be gay if you don't."

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    anyway here's a GIS result for "feminist body image webcomic"

FFtp9pN.jpg

• Options
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Elbasunu wrote: »

True, there's also "you must be gay if you don't."

I don't even know if that's what the artist intended with his statement to Jason. It sure SEEMS that way, but the man has already apologized. Everyone makes stupid statements. Hell, his might even have been a poorly translated one.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    tumblr_mlrz9zIbJ31rlynuno1_500.jpg

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    before this thread I had never heard of Dragon's Crown.

I was happier then.

• Options
    maritzacmaritzac Registered User regular
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    VGkM7Hs.jpg

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

You're right, it doesn't.

Now what about this, which is what people are actually complaining about.

dragonscrowncharacters.jpg

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    The barbarian lady is freaking me right the fuck out. That is some beetlejuice shrunken head shit.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    The barbarian lady is freaking me right the fuck out. That is some beetlejuice shrunken head shit.

See?

It even freaks Kro out.

The guy who routinely has dreams of writhing flesh-monsters from the horror dimension.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Mutant, crazy cat-ladies whisking the digested meals she's fed to captives, out of festering fistulas splitting their collar-bones, with a damn fast muscular tongue... ain't got nothing on this.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Mutant crazy cat ladies whisking the digested meals she's fed to captives out of festering fistulas splitting their collar-bones with a damn fast muscular tongue ain't got nothing on this.

Shit, his brain is fried.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    swole tits are literally the only reason i exist on this shit plane

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    There are so many ridiculous things with the sorceress lady

Making a skull motorboat her breasts
    Holding her magic staff between her butt cheeks
    Tragically broken arm

• Options
    Eh, you see horrifying things and it's just shocking for a moment 'til you get used to it. I'm freaked by what that dude dreams about. I mean, if that's his ideal beauty and is willing to throw that into a high-profile project, well, he's gotta have some nasty spiders crawling out of his shoulder-blades.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    Kochikens wrote: »
    There are so many ridiculous things with the sorceress lady

Making a skull motorboat her breasts
    Holding her magic staff between her butt cheeks
    Tragically broken arm

look she just wants to give this skeleton a hug while showing off her gigantic spilling-out-of-my-corset tits

I give all kinds of corpses hugs while showing off my gigantic spilling-out-of-my-corset tits

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    she uses a staff because it's hard to walk normally with all the back problems she's got

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I think the art in Dragon's Crown is kinda grodie but by no means is it some kind of shocking new low

Not even for Vanillaware, whose previous characters include a skeleton with giant rude tits

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    The amazon is horrifying.

The sorceress is whorifying.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i....wish to be the skull

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    i think the most offending part of the amazon design is that its shit

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    well at least she's swole as fuck, that's something

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Eh, you see horrifying things and it's just shocking for a moment 'til you get used to it. I'm freaked by what that dude dreams about. I mean, if that's his ideal beauty and is willing to throw that into a high-profile project, well, he's gotta have some nasty spiders crawling out of his shoulder-blades.

It probably isn't. Maybe I'm just giving them waaaay too much credit but when I see those forms I'm reminded of this:

cropwm.jpg?img=-8-887-YULJ000Z&x=0&y=0&w=1000&h=1000&size=2&maxw=1325&maxh=713&q=100

I don't think the work here is meant to titillate. At all.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    ART DOT COM

• Options
    FART DOT MOM

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Art is probably the best artist. It's even in his name.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    tumblr_inline_mls8iircas1qz4rgp.png

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

You're right, it doesn't.

Now what about this, which is what people are actually complaining about.

My post was in response to this
    That game's art is intentionally ridiculous

I know the character design is pretty terrible, don't rake me over the coals for thinking otherwise

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    maritzacmaritzac Registered User regular
    :looks at char design:

that is absolutely fucking terrible and ridiculous

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    those character designs are the dumbest shit
    and I'm usually the one that likes weird distorted bullshit

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    The huntress has a cool silhouette.

She is wearing pants though, so constant panty shots are going to be difficult to pull off, but I'm sure they'll manage.

This discussion has been closed.