As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]landers

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I have been stealthily giving gender neutral gifts to kids of friends, but I would never make it a topic because telling people how to raise their children is one of the most optimal paths to fights.

I must admit I had to hold myself in a bit with the one year old whose mom got her 20+ pairs of shoes, mostly pink.

I wish I could afford to get my friend's kid gifts.

Instead I will just be his queer scientist aunt.

Which really is probably a good way of helping kids break gender roles anyway.

Yeah going to be tough when they all get older and want expensive cool stuff, but for now it's Lego, books & simple puzzles which aren't too wallet breaking.

Some of them are young enough that the wrapping might be the best gift.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    You guys I just fucked up dinner

I fucked up dinner so bad

It's amazing

Apparently, if the tagine is overfull, and you have left it to simmer while you take your microeconomics quiz, the effect of steam rising up the inside of the cone and then condensing and dripping back down the sides means the condensation doesn't stay in the pot

it goes all over the stovetop

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    If I go to work back at Macy's (say this transfer doesn't happen but I apply when I'm back in Philly and they magically hire me), I am definitely working merchandising or (will attempt to work) the administrative side.

A customer lost it on me recently when I told her we didn't take things to the fitting room. I didn't realize she was asking for help based on how she worded it (I thought she meant normally do we, which we don't, it's not normal procedure) so when I tried to correct it and make amends she continued to lose her shit. Then she swore all around the department calling me a lazy fuck and making other customers uncomfortable. I left the area, she then FOLLOWED me to another area and overheard me talking about her and she got into my space and said "OH, I SEE YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT ME" so I, who normally goes quiet and just try to please the customer while my face gets red with anger, got super loud and went "YES. I. AM." and she proceeded to try to tell my co-worker I wouldn't help her, so I yelled at her that she did not ask for help, she asked how we did things normally to which I sufficiently answered her. My co-worker recognized I got pushed past my limit as soon as I said "Yes. I. Am" and she was about to get real.

I'm very surprised I didn't swear, but I was really about to hang this bitch on the 65% off rack to dry.

Retail sucks.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Signing up with a temp agency does little. You need to build a relationship, they have a ton of candidates and you need to stand out. Call them, visit them, react to openings, ask for resume feedback.
    It's an exhausting process but if you don't work at it nothing will come out.

Can...can I just show up to the office and be like "Hey, any jobs for me today?" I don't want to visit or call them and they find me annoying.

Once a week is a good rule of thumb, at least for the first few weeks.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Can you apply to multiple temp agencies?

I'm really thinking that a temp agency might be the best bet right now for me to gain some skills I can't work on, on my own. Like right now I'm learning Python and Access on my own, but I don't know what other things jobs are looking for beyond experience which I am "lacking" in somewhat.

If you're capable of learning python and access, then go do some IT contracting/temping. Anybody who can work a computer can be on helpdesk.

EDIT: Also we need more dumb user stories in the IT thread. Once I got out of desktop I stopped producing.

I'm still at the beginning of learning BOTH of those. Will an IT placement take someone who is just starting to learn those or should I wait until I have a solid foundation before acting for an IT placement?

Sure, helpdesk doesn't care about your python skills. They care that you know what a computer is, and can walk someone through turning it off and on again. Have you ever built a PC and installed an OS?

Nooooooooooo, well I never built a PC. I upgraded my Windows Vista to Windows 7 once?

Good enough.

Maybe grab a CompTIA A+ cert study guide at the library. Don't bother actually taking the cert, but read through the guide to get a nice refresher on all things basic computing.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Gim wrote: »
    Feral and I are on the same wavelength, if not the same exact peak.

If you're on the same wavelength but out of phase you are probably reducing the overall signal!

Now I feel bad.

Wait, what just happened?

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I have been stealthily giving gender neutral gifts to kids of friends, but I would never make it a topic because telling people how to raise their children is one of the most optimal paths to fights.

I must admit I had to hold myself in a bit with the one year old whose mom got her 20+ pairs of shoes, mostly pink.

I wish I could afford to get my friend's kid gifts.

Instead I will just be his queer scientist aunt.

Which really is probably a good way of helping kids break gender roles anyway.

Yeah going to be tough when they all get older and want expensive cool stuff, but for now it's Lego, books & simple puzzles which aren't too wallet breaking.

Some of them are young enough that the wrapping might be the best gift.

By the time he really wants expensive stuff I will be neck deep in science groupies in my island fortress, so I think we're good there.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Feral and I are on the same wavelength, if not the same exact peak.
    /
    If you're on the same wavelength but out of phase you are probably reducing the overall signal!

Now I feel bad.

Wait, what just happened?

You destructively interfered with Feral and now I can't tell if either of you is there and I'm just gonna collectively call you flatline.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

I'm really thinking that a temp agency might be the best bet right now for me to gain some skills I can't work on, on my own. Like right now I'm learning Python and Access on my own, but I don't know what other things jobs are looking for beyond experience which I am "lacking" in somewhat.

If you're capable of learning python and access, then go do some IT contracting/temping. Anybody who can work a computer can be on helpdesk.

EDIT: Also we need more dumb user stories in the IT thread. Once I got out of desktop I stopped producing.

I'm still at the beginning of learning BOTH of those. Will an IT placement take someone who is just starting to learn those or should I wait until I have a solid foundation before acting for an IT placement?

Sure, helpdesk doesn't care about your python skills. They care that you know what a computer is, and can walk someone through turning it off and on again. Have you ever built a PC and installed an OS?

Nooooooooooo, well I never built a PC. I upgraded my Windows Vista to Windows 7 once?

Good enough.

Maybe grab a CompTIA A+ cert study guide at the library. Don't bother actually taking the cert, but read through the guide to get a nice refresher on all things basic computing.

not a terrible idea, there

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Electromagnetic wave interference effect humor is obviously the best kind of humor.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I have a new nerf gun.

Sadly, it is the last nerf gun I'll have at my old job, and my new job isn't exactly the environment where I can take nerf guns, so it'll probably be my last time taking nerf guns into the office for a long while.

Luckily it's a nerf gun capable of taking someone's head off.

Note: Not an image of me.
    100_8654.JPG

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular

Good enough.

Okay, if I do this and say I completely the cert study guide, can I write something that mentions it on my resume but not say I'm certified?

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Signing up with a temp agency does little. You need to build a relationship, they have a ton of candidates and you need to stand out. Call them, visit them, react to openings, ask for resume feedback.

Can...can I just show up to the office and be like "Hey, any jobs for me today?" I don't want to visit or call them and they find me annoying.

Typically you just want to call in once a week or so to say "Hey, still available if you have anything." More than that and you run the risk of irritating your recruiter which is a really bad idea unless you already have a track record of multiple successful gigs with them under your belt.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Someone here at work picked a very odd radio station. I just heard Goo Goo Dolls, and now TLC.

What the

DON'T GO CHASING WATERFALLS

Neco on
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    I have a new nerf gun.

Sadly, it is the last nerf gun I'll have at my old job, and my new job isn't exactly the environment where I can take nerf guns, so it'll probably be my last time taking nerf guns into the office for a long while.

100_8654.JPG

Sarksus collects nerf guns and sometimes he shoots me in the butt with them when I bend over.

He's going to find a nerf "bullet" in his butthole one day.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    emnmnme wrote: »

Hah. I am, not surprisingly, familiar and appreciative of that particular comic. It works really well.

The counterpoint to it is this.

Gim on
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »
    Someone here at work picked a very odd radio station. I just heard Goo Goo Dolls, and now TLC.

What the

It's called "Amazing Radio" and you should enjoy it.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

Good enough.

Okay, if I do this and say I completely the cert study guide, can I write something that mentions it on my resume but not say I'm certified?

No, but when they ask you questions about computers in the interview you'll be able to answer them.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Also, I want to start a toys thread SO BAD but I'm terrified of starting a thread in SE++.

And yet I hate the fact that no one knows me.

I've been called an attention whore so many times in my life. :(

@mim - trust me. Most typical help desks are easy to get into. They are scripted to hell and back. Everyone starts there, and it's okay if you don't know how to solve everyone's problems. There will be plenty of people to help you, as long as you actually reach out for help.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I have a new nerf gun.

100_8654.JPG

Sarksus collects nerf guns and sometimes he shoots me in the butt with them when I bend over.

This butt stuff tells me that you have both been hanging out with Chu too much.

• Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    Okay, so I might have tickled a child till he peed himself and cried. But in my defense I stopped as soon as he told me to but it was TOO LATE HE HAD ALREADY STARTED PEEING. Then he cried and waddled into the bathroom. >>

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular

You can ask them how they would prefer you keep in touch, but Feral's 1/week advice isn't a bad default.

Politely writing bullshit e-mails is a super useful job skill though, so consider it free practice with the temp agency.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    I have a new nerf gun.

100_8654.JPG

Nerf bullet would be a great name for a strapon.

Yeah baby you've been a naughty girl, time to get out the nerf bullet.

• Options
    Okay, so I might have tickled a child till he peed himself and cried. But in my defense I stopped as soon as he told me to but it was TOO LATE HE HAD ALREADY STARTED PEEING. Then he cried and waddled into the bathroom. >>

Yes, in your defense it was totally an accident that you made a child pee himself and then cry.

:P

• Options

you have magic fingers!

• Options
    I have a new nerf gun.

100_8654.JPG

I've only actually shot people with Mega darts once or twice.

It leaves one hell of a sting, as they are designed to fire long distances by sheer power.

Don't go execution style on anyone with these things.

Urbantaggers.com%2B-%2BMega%2BCenturion_06.jpg

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular

What the

It's called "Amazing Radio" and you should enjoy it.

Well, it is at least a nice change from my usual choice of NPR. :P

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

What the

Satellite radio? Internet? Local radio?

Here in the Pacific Northwest there are a few stations that play 90s pop music.

It's weird.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

RADROADKILL TICKLED A CHILD UNTIL HE PEED HIMSELF AND CRIED!

*submits application for husband of the year*

• Options

You can ask them how they would prefer you keep in touch, but Feral's 1/week advice isn't a bad default.

Politely writing bullshit e-mails is a super useful job skill though, so consider it free practice with the temp agency.

and like actual emails, to a real person

don't use the website's media contact form

• Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    Quid laughed. Actually, I laughed. Then the kid's mom laughed. And hugged me.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Woo, I just doubled my harddrive space. I need to download a ton of porn now.

• Options
    we get anywhere from 3 to 10 emails a day from people inquiring about jobs via our media contact form

even though it specifically says at the top if you're a job seeker don't use this form

click this big arrow that says "job seekers"

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I have a new nerf gun.

100_8654.JPG

I've only actually shot people with Mega darts once or twice.

It leaves one hell of a sting, as they are designed to fire long distances by sheer power.

Don't go execution style on anyone with these things.

Urbantaggers.com%2B-%2BMega%2BCenturion_06.jpg

It's the .50 cal of pensi shaped foam doom.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    the sirius xm 90s station just plays anything from the 90s that was on the radio in the 90s

the only format is that the song was from the 90s

and they count 90 as the start of the decade, which irks me, but i'll live

• Options

and then peed on you

• Options
    and of course the occasional mom email

maybe about once a month

"my son applied for a job and hasn't heard back from you"

yes, that is really attractive that your son can't motivate himself to follow up, you have to do it for him

• Options
    Feral wrote: »

and then peed on you

as is the custom of her people

This discussion has been closed.