Options

[chat]landers

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I dunno if anyone saw me ask but:

does anyone have an experience with temp agencies? How good/bad are they?

Ehhhh... They're awful, but it can be a good way to fill out your resume, get office skills, and maybe land a job

Awful with...job placement or do you mean the kind of jobs they put you with?

Both! Though the quality of the temp agency depends on the quality of the people staffing it.

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    I think it's funny that Kyle Kinnane is the voice of comedy central so when there is an advertisement for a Kyle Kinnane special it is a voiceover done by him.

Standup Inception.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Yay, the philosophy thread came back up.
    Time for more nonsensical arguing.

No one is forcing you to participate. Try to pretend like the thing that I'm doing with my life is a little bit less "nonsensical"

it's cool bro, 99% of D&D is nonsensical arguing

Hah, I take charges of being nonsensical really seriously. If I'm legitimately nonsensical, then I've got a big problem.

LoserForHireX sorry, I didn't notice you replied to me in here.
    When I said "yay, more nonsensical arguing" I meant that in the most sincere way possible.

Like, I really enjoy talking philosophy with people because I don't get it.

I mostly just picked physicalism because I was raised a biblical-literalist christian, so I still have that need for something to be absolute.

Sorry to hear that..

One of my good friends in my program is a very strict physicalist (he jokes that he might be willing to admit causation into his ontology), and my dissertation adviser (or rather, the one that I will have after I complete my prospectus) is also an avowed physicalist. Very very smart people are in your camp, my friend. I think that they're wrong, but they are wrong for all the right reasons.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Mom, I'm not saying it's a bad idea. Go talk to some.

I forbid you from editing this post.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Yay, the philosophy thread came back up.
    Time for more nonsensical arguing.

No one is forcing you to participate. Try to pretend like the thing that I'm doing with my life is a little bit less "nonsensical"

I can hear losers voice in my head when I read this post and I just want to let you know that it sounds very sad like kicking a puppy but one of those ugly puppies one of those puppies that are so ugly they're cute again

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular

Temp agencies vary by region, but in general they're shit. The main question is what type of shit.

You're usually looking at one of two types of temp agencies:

Type 1 is the "Corporate decided to not budget for HR" temp agency. Basically they aren't actually a temp agency, they're an outsourced HR department that acts as an in-between for the worker and the 1-2 businesses they actually contract with. This tends to be more common with physical labor, and these temp agencies mostly exist to shit on the employee in the most legal way possible.

Type 2 is the "glorified secretary rental" temp agency. These are a little more reputable, but are limited by what they are and who they work for. If you're proficient in general office skills, these can get you some work and some cash, but very few offices are interested in long term hires from temp agencies. You're also looking at an extremely limited viable skillset. A prospective employee might be proficient in programming or familiar with divorce law or property statutes, but no level of familiarity transfers to "immediately know how to work in a new office." Temps answer phones, send e-mails when told to do so, and generally try to make sure nothing catches on fire.

Most temp agencies have policies that prevent or penalize a business for hiring someone after they have been used as a temp, which makes using a temp agency to find a long term employment solution problematic.

Basically, a temp agency employee is trapped between two employers who have very little reason to treat the temp particularly well. Temp agencies lack the standing to really negotiate on behalf of a temp employee (and they don't have much reason to).

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options

You will work boring ass jobs, with shitty people

But Deeb is right, you will be able to build a resume, and get some good skills so that you can get a permanent gig.

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I think sawyer's dollie and his dollie stroller arrived

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    You should go to a perm agency.

There is a fifty-fifty chance you will get a permanent job or just get an actual perm.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I think sawyer's dollie and his dollie stroller arrived

skippy you are gonna turn that boy queer

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular

Temp agencies vary by region, but in general they're shit. The main question is what type of shit.

Type 1 is the "Corporate decided to not budget for HR" temp agency. Basically they aren't actually a temp agency, they're an outsourced HR department that acts as an in-between for the worker and the 1-2 businesses they actually contract with. This tends to be more common with physical labor, and these temp agencies mostly exist to shit on the employee in the most legal way possible.

Type 2 is the "glorified secretary rental" temp agency. These are a little more reputable, but are limited by what they are and who they work for. If you're proficient in general office skills, these can get you some work and some cash, but very few offices are interested in long term hires from temp agencies. You're also looking at an extremely limited viable skillset. A prospective employee might be proficient in programming or familiar with divorce law or property statutes, but no level of familiarity transfers to "immediately know how to work in a new office." Temps answer phones, send e-mails when told to do so, and generally try to make sure nothing catches on fire.

Most temp agencies have policies that prevent or penalize a business for hiring someone after they have been used as a temp, which makes using a temp agency to find a long term employment solution problematic.

Basically, a temp agency employee is trapped between two employers who have very little reason to treat the temp particularly well. Temp agencies lack the standing to really negotiate on behalf of a temp employee (and they don't have much reason to).

But Deeb is right, you will be able to build a resume, and get some good skills so that you can get a permanent gig.

Oof, well right now yeah I'm mostly looking to just build some skills outside of retail. The company my co-worker used seemed to put her with some good places and one even wanted to hire her full time so I'm hoping something nice like that happens for me.

Can I use temp jobs on my resume?

• Options
    I found I have to fly for work on sunday and be there until probably thursday

but maybe longer

damn it

• Options

I do happen to know though that working for Apple tech support only happens by working through the temp agency Volt. After you do a contract you can get Apple badged.

So there are some, I think rare times, where a temp agency can really work for you.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    True story.

In one class, in college, we had to bring a short paragraph of some kind describing an historical person you admired.

It was one of my first classes, so i didn't know anyone in the group.\

My paragraph was about Tesla. A guy on my table had one about Edison.

As you can expect, i acted like a complete shitlord.

(Actually, i laughed the coincidence away and became friendly with that guy... Didn't do many assignments with him because he was a complete slacker, tho)

• Options
    Gim wrote: »
    You should go to a perm agency.

There is a fifty-fifty chance you will get a permanent job or just get an actual perm.

I was about to ask if this is real.

But then I read the last part.

• Options
    also I am too fat for my work clothes

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    So I can't decide whether I love or hate Dark Souls. I've accomplished practically nothing in about 90 minutes of playing. I've gotten killed like 20 times, I've acquired no new gear and I feel like I'm possibly the worst person ever at parrying.

But I kind of want to keep playing.

It's like now I have something to prove.

It does take effort to learn it but it's really not as hard as it seems. If it gets to the point where you want to quit please ask for help in the g and t thread first. I promise it's worth it.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options

Oof, well right now yeah I'm mostly looking to just build some skills outside of retail. The company my co-worker used seemed to put her with some good places and one even wanted to hire her full time so I'm hoping something nice like that happens for me.

Always use temp jobs on your resume.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Every temp agency I've talked to was always like "last week we totally had a job that pays 'OMG lots' that you would be perfect for but now there isn't anything, but call me twice a week until you go insane."

• Options

Fuck yeah!

Put everything on your resume! All possible skills and jobs.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular

YOU WORK FROM HOME

King-Size_Homer.png

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Kyle Kinane is in my top 5 comedians. I just love the guy.

• Options
    shalmelo wrote: »

YOU WORK FROM HOME

King-Size_Homer.png

yeah but I have to wear slacks and shit when I go to HQ

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »

YOU WORK FROM HOME

King-Size_Homer.png

yeah but I have to wear slacks and shit when I go to HQ

Where do you work that they require you wear shit?

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Goddamnit ladyroar's friend is acting like a tool on facebook again and Im not allowed to comment on her ABSURD parenting views

*she isnt a parent, and doesnt want to have kids

• Options
    Goddamnit ladyroar's friend is acting like a tool on facebook again and Im not allowed to comment on her ABSURD parenting views

Is she an antivaccer?

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Job skills:
    Active Directory
    Server 2008
    Can tie cherry stem in knot with tongue

.........maybe not every skill

• Options
    Homer was a fool for not taking that garbage bag full of popcorn.

• Options

is she in the "A child needs to be caned several times a day for no reason" camp?

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

A Fridge Too Far gets me every time.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

Is she an antivaccer?

No this incident involves gender stereotyping and that every boy/girl should like all toys regardless of what gender they are marketed too.

She completely ignores the fact that the kid may just not like them, its 100% of the parents fault for installing a gender binary in them

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Job skills:
    Active Directory
    Server 2008
    Can tie cherry stem in knot with tongue

.........maybe not every skill

Well, I mean depends on the position.

Although I don't think Sexy System Administrator is usually an advertised position.

Very in demand though.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014

700.jpg

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014

Well, there's one other type

Type 3 is the "we staff people who work in a specific industry and deploy them to handle crunch time and big projects." Those (usually) won't treat you like shit, but the problem is that you'll work your ass off for a few weeks and then not have any work again for a couple of months. They also may or may not hire people who don't have experience in that industry, and you need to be willing to drop whatever you're doing and come to work same day or next day if you're called.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular

Yes.

The advantage you can get from a temp agency is you might get placed in a position that you wouldn't normally have access to based on being nice, sane, and mildly competent.

If you're hoping to turn a temp position into a permanent position, the best way to do so is to be an experienced and overqualified professional (an unfair requirement) and to be a magical wizard wherever you work.

Essentially, any business that wants you as a permanent employee will be required to pay X, where X is probably between $500 and $5,000. In order for a temp placement to turn into a permanent placement, you need to display you're worth that cost in addition to your normal wage.

That's not an easy sell. Especially if you lack experience (which makes the entire "be experienced" thing kind of hard).

HOWEVER

You don't need to prove yourself to be worth $5,000 just to get a nice referral. The advantage you have is expectations for temps tend to be very low, so a competent performance can come off as truly impressive simply by comparison.

Temping isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world. It sucks, but almost any early job you get sucks (my first job out of college had me working for a law firm where I literally cleaned up hobo shit). You can and should use temp positions to network and to get contacts for future opportunities and references. If you do a good job at an office, thank them for their time and (politely) ask their HR if you can list them as a reference.

Temping sucks, but so does looking for a job when your previous job experience is "went to school."

If you can do some volunteer work, that's another good way to network.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    Can you apply to multiple temp agencies?

I'm really thinking that a temp agency might be the best bet right now for me to gain some skills I can't work on, on my own. Like right now I'm learning Python and Access on my own, but I don't know what other things jobs are looking for beyond experience which I am "lacking" in somewhat.

• Options
    My old job sent me my W2. I was worried that they wouldn't and I'd have to go asking for it. Yaaaay!

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

wat she do

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    RADROADKILL TICKLED A CHILD UNTIL HE PEED HIMSELF AND CRIED!

@radroadkill

• Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »

700.jpg

Haha, what the fuck?

This discussion has been closed.