Options

[PokéFATE] Pokémon Academy Episode 2: Saved by the Bellsprout

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I figured with your new child. Go be a daddy. Teach him to kill zombies.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    To maybe hit some of those Harry Potter notes
    eJctB5c.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2014
    That said, with the world building, I'm not sure Gorm knows much about the Pokemon Academy at all, aside it's an alternate way to get badges and prove that he's capable of going out into the wilderness without actually going out into the wilderness.
    Or at least that's how it's been laid down by his parents in the ultimatum they've given him.

So, I'm thinking it's in the wilderness near quite a few different natural features (forest/deep lake/mountains probably) so that the students can easily access a wide range of pokemon straight from the home base. The isolation makes it a boarding school of course.

discrider on
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    So, aside from the previously mentioned small time gyms trying to make it into the big time, I think that it's not really a Pokemon game unless you have some questionably competent criminal organization. I was thinking of an organization churning out black market TMs, which can teach Pokemon moves they wouldn't be able to normally learn. But, they are the Team Rocket analog here, so there's a good chance the TMs are going hurt your pokemon. Or instead of hyper beam, they may teach just splash. Buyer beware and all.

And hey, this is probably be cutting into the Volkova's family buisness, so it's got an easy hook to tie back into the story!

• Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    I was thinking of an organization churning out black market TMs, which can teach Pokemon moves they wouldn't be able to normally learn.

And hey, this is probably be cutting into the Volkova's family buisness, so it's got an easy hook to tie back into the story!

Yes, I like this.

Let's rap about the Academy itself a bit, maybe. The usual course for this sort of thing would be a big, castle-like building standing in the middle of Ryukyu Island and surrounded by verdant forests, pristine glens, etc. etc. but you know, maybe exploring some other examples of an educational campus could work.

Could just as easily have the academy be a part of an urban sprawl, the alleyways, backroads, and sewers home to clever Pokemon that have learned to stealthily coexist with the city folk. Though Pokemon like Meowth, Porygon, and Trubbish are well known urban-dwelling Pokemon, it seems like an environment/habitat that doesn't come up terribly often in the setting.

To rationalize why there'd be a big city on a secluded island, it could very well be a port town, a crucial resting/refueling point for several regions' ships and chosen as the Academy's location due to the many different cultures and Pokemon the attending students would be introduced to during their stay.

The port town idea would work well for giving @Buddha73's character some spotlight whenever adventures would bring the party to the bustling seaside, incidentally.

Anyone else have any ideas about what the Academy itself could look like and what would be nearby?

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    well, surprised no one's brought up the angle that the Pokemon Academy is part of the thriving tourist trade? The first impression I got of the place is that it's Pokemon Hawaii

• Options
    We're going to have a lot of young kids that are inexperienced with controlling pokemon. All in one place? The school's gotta be built like a bunker, unless they've got a sweetheart deal with a construction company. Heck, it might just be an old army base. It would be isolated enough from the rest of the city to get that boarding school feel, but still close enough for excursions and wandering around town after ducking curfew.

As for the surroundings, ghost and dark pokemon need some creepy places to hang out, so there should be a mysterious/spooky place around. And what's spookier in a port town than the old, abandoned light house? Throw in some nasty rumors about it, and you've got the rite of passage for all the new kids. Also, if it's an island, why not make it a (probably) inactive volcanic island? That gets us a lot of rock and fire pokemon in an interesting backdrop.

• Options
    Buddha73Buddha73 Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    The port town idea would work well for giving @Buddha73's character some spotlight whenever adventures would bring the party to the bustling seaside, incidentally.

It is one of the reasons I designed my character to have grown up around water, and have some skills in driving since we would be on an island plus I always liked water Pokemon.

Also We have to think about some of our characters may not like each other for different reasons. Too talkative on the boat ride over, or too lower class for one's taste or maybe some of our characters hit it off from the start and nearly best friends by the time they make it to the island. Assuming we all got here the same way.

Buddha73 on
  • Options
    Ok, great ideas and many, many are going to be used. While we can still add to the last question, let's head towards the next which was briefly touched upon; The Pokémon Academy has been around since 1999 and in those 15 years has created a air of mystery and legacy about it. But no place is without its nasty rumors. What secrets have you may have heard about the Academy and does your character believe them?

• Options
    I heard the headmaster eats naughty children.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »

That's silly! He feed them to wild Pokemon!

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I heard one of the teachers is actually a recruiter for the local criminal team organization, and will guide children they deem suitable for future conscription towards wicked pursuits and forbidden knowledge. More than a few students who dropped out before graduation have turned up later in the groups' ranks, so it must be true!

Also that all the profit from dues and tuition the school earns is immediately earmarked for a mysterious research project, situated in a state-of-the-art laboratory deep below the Academy. Purchase records show that prodigious amounts of glass and machinery parts are delivered on a regular basis, what could they be building? A new kind of Pokeball, a weather control machine, or a "Danger Room"-esque holographic training facility are the most popular guesses so far.

Personally, I think it's an insulated storage system for captured Pokemon who are far too powerful to be controlled, but too destructive to be safely released.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    so since no one outright disagreed with me and jiving with the "lots of Pokemon Biomes", Ryukyu island should be fairly large and the center of not only the Academy's pursuits, but also a thriving tourist trade. I mean who DOESN'T want to go swimming with Sharknados? Riding with the Tauros?

it means the place sees a lot of different people intermingling; residents, tourists, foreign students, all come to Ryukyu. it means the criminal organization probably has its hand in the gambling arena (duh) and there might be a lot of under-the-table Pokemon related gambling too

as for nasty rumors, well, what kind of rumors do you get when you have MIT mixed with Las Vegas mixed with Hawaii? fierce competition between students, weird PokéFraternities...

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    The lighthouse is automated now, but the old lighthouse keeper was so distraught over losing his job that he leaped from the top! Every now and then, some shadows pass in front of the light. But it's just some pokemon that have wormed their way inside. ...Right?
    Buddha73 wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »

That's silly! He feed them to wild Pokemon!

I heard he IS a wild pokemon! Like, some super powerful psychic pokemon that makes everyone just think he looks like a human!

I mean, I don't believe it, but Stein can be pretty clever when he feels like it. Just think how smart he'll be when he grows up!

• Options
    I heard he is a Mewtwo. My older brother's girlfriend's best friend's TM dealer's Mom said she saw his tail.

Great stuff. So today's question is: Did anything interesting happen on your ride to the Academy? Did you meet anyone interesting or see something cool? (This is were you get to build up your classmates, teachers, people on the island, ect.)

• Options
    Also, if it's an island, why not make it a (probably) inactive volcanic island?
    The first impression I got of the place is that it's Pokemon Hawaii

Gonna put my Marine Geology class from 10 years ago to work and mention that long chains of islands like Hawaii are caused by undersea tectonic plates that slowly shift over a volcanic hotspot on the sea bottom, building up a series of islands in sequence that eventually corrode and collapse as they age (over the course of millions of years). So the same volcano that created the tiny and numerous Northwest Hawaiian Islands is the one still active on the largest and geologically newest Big Island (and is in fact creating an entirely new island off the coast).

So if Ryukyu Island is particularly large compared to its neighboring islands like Arcanis suggested, there's a good chance its either volcanically active, or very close to an undersea volcano. These strike me as really cool places to explore and find new and rare Pokemon, imagine being the first researcher to document a Fire/Water Type? You'd become a legend overnight.

• Options
    Active Volcano could also be the home to legendary Pokemon like Groudon or Moltres. Also, if people dont mind custom Pokémon, I could design something cool too.

• Options
    Looking around the web I found that there is a currently unreleased Fire/Water Pokémon named
    Volcanion
    that I could use for a nice adventure.

• Options
    There were a bunch of snobs on the boat over to school that were bragging about the pokemon their parents bought them and all the fancy poketoys that they gave their pokemon so they'd agree to work with them. I guess even at the Pokemon Academy, Money Talks.

But, that's ok. I got in because I deserved it. When we get there, I'll show them how a REAL Trainer does things.

• Options
    There were a bunch of snobs on the boat over to school that were bragging about the pokemon their parents bought them and all the fancy poketoys that they gave their pokemon so they'd agree to work with them. I guess even at the Pokemon Academy, Money Talks.

But, that's ok. I got in because I deserved it. When we get there, I'll show them how a REAL Trainer does things.

Any in particular that caught your attention?

• Options
    They mostly had more exotic Pokemon, obviously thinking that if that the rarer something was, the better. There were a few hanger-ons, who probably thought that if these chumps were going to throw money around, they might as well be near by to see if some landed in their laps. Can't really blame them for trying to grift saps like that, but I've got better ways to spend my time.

For instance, talking to the only kid around here who seems to know how the boat worked. If I was going to go out and become a great trainer, I'd probably end up on boats a lot. Can't hurt to learn more about them. And, what can I say? Enthusiasm like Lee's is contagious.

• Options
    I tried to use the PC to transport my Geodude, but I broke the machine.
    I'm glad I'm not going to be there when the Prof sees that.

• Options
    Kuri likely spent her time on the boat either cooped up in her cabin being seasick, or stumbling around the deck in formal clothes, wearing a neon lifesaver, carrying an umbrella to steady herself on the deck despite it not really being that wobbly, and inexpertly trying to make conversation with people and likely getting frustrated at how fumbling her efforts come across as (and how unconcerned they are with the possibility of a storm coming out of nowhere and capsizing the boat into surely sharpedo infested waters, the fools).

Uzha, sleepily wrapped around her neck in the manner of a scarf most of the time, practically purrs with satisfaction at how upset Kuri is getting between the seasickness, unsuccessful efforts at making friends, and worries about imminent seagoing disasters striking any second now.

• Options
    I was kinda hoping you guys might talk about the people more, like @Capfalcon those rich snobs, surely they have a leader and he/she has a right hand person. @discrider what Professor are you talking about? Did you see one on your ride? @Marshmallow tell me more about the people you talked to. Did you see something sinister or strange that give you the impression of a terrible storm was coming? @ArcanisTheImpotent @Buddha73 Did you see something or meet someone(s) who stood out at you?

• Options
    Ah, ok. I'm following now.

So, everyone seemed to defer to this girl. Caught the name Margrette being thrown around. She looked like your typical snob, but she was one of the only ones who wasn't impressed by the hanger-ons. Guess that made her smarter than the average richy rich. But, man, she had a wicked looking Ghastly. I mean, I'm not too fond of ghost pokemon, but this one looked extra mean. Which is saying something.

Anyway, outside the little court she'd put together, this rich-looking fat kid was playing gatekeeper. Probably never worked a day in his life, you know the type. Anyway, he and this <achop (mostly the Machop, of course) were acting like bouncers, letting some people go to see her and telling other people to go take a hike. Never caught his name. Think it started with a F or something. Like I said, I was more interested in chatting Lee up.

• Options
    @discrider what Professor are you talking about?
    I was talking about Prof Birch.

• Options
    For the most part Lee didn't see anyone that out of place or odd. A lot of the other people seemed normal. He was spending a good deal of the trip to the island explaining to his new friend James the differences between this Star Liner Phantom model ship and the S.S. Tidal which was a Discovery Flame model. He dragged James all over the ship talking on and on, but when he went down to the engine room to check it out he notice a older looking kid with jet black long hair with a green stripe running down one side sitting quietly by himself or at least he thought by himself until suddenly his purple Kecleon appeared above the stranger! Lee would have talked to him but the stranger eyes told Lee it wasn't a good idea.

• Options
    Ok, since I can't put this all into the OP, I'm posting everyone's characters sheets together. I've done a bit of changes to go with our new direction of FATE stress verse HP system.

Gorm Birch Refresh 2
    High Concept:
    Over-eager Pokemon Trainer

Aspect:
    Family Money Sink
    Heralds from the school of Old Man Weedle
    Impervious to Outside Criticism

Alertness - 1
    Athletics - 1
    Charisma - 0
    Driving - 1
    Empathy - 2
    Endurance - 2
    Intimidation - 0
    Might - 3
    Poké-Knowledge - 0
    Pokemon Training - 4
    Resources - 3
    Scholarship - 0
    Stealth - 1
    Survival - 0
    Weapons - 2
    Ventriloquism - 1

Stress and Complications
    Physical Stress - 4
    Mental Stress - 4

Stunts:
    I BELIEVE IN YOU! (Over-Eager stunt) (1 FATE): Current Pokemon can only be hit down to 1 Stress until next turn, or revive current Pokemon to 1 Stress

A A A A A A A A A A A (Secret Old Man Weedle Technique, Pokemon Training stunt): +1 Pokemon Training on capture attempts within the same zone as the trainer. The trainer must start the turn in this zone to use this technique.

GEODUDE
    Rock/Ground

Aspects
    Hard Head
    Quiet
    Heavy
    Lodestone

Attributes
    Hardiness - 4
    Power - 2
    Special - 3
    Speed - 1

Stress Track : 5
    PP: 6

Moves
    Harden
    [Normal] [Block]
    Cost: 3 PP
    Attribute: Hardiness
    Target: Self
    Effect: The Pokemon's carapace stiffens! Places Armor 1 on self for 3 rounds.

Rock Throw
    [Rock] [Attack]
    Cost: 2 PP
    Attribute: Power or Trainer's Might (Same zone only)
    Range: Zone 1; One Target
    Opposed by: Speed or Hardiness
    Effect: Rocks are thrown at the enemy! Increase Power by 1 for 1 round (Add to this attack, wears off after next attack). Ability and Stunts

(Not sure if pokemon get this pre-made but)
    Sedimentary: If hit by a rock or ground attack, regain a stress.

Backstory
    From a young age, Gorm has always wanted to be a Pokemon trainer, and it's not hard to see why. As the nephew of Professor Birch, he'd often see the other kids all enter the lab and get to choose their very first pokemon, and leave to go on their grand adventures. They'd send all manner of Pokemon back to the lab for study and safekeeping, and, when they came back to town, would regale Gorm with all kinds of wondrous stories.

So when Gorm found his first Pokemon in the back garden, there was no talking him out of it. He was going to leave immediately and discover all new kinds of pokemon and catalogue everything!
    Being 8 at the time, his parent's weren't quite ready to throw him out into the long grass, but they couldn't watch him all the time either. So instead they introduced him to the Old Man of the village, who then taught him everything he knew about catching Weedles. So long as Gorm was preoccupied with this, he wouldn't be escaping from the house all the time to charge headlong into the long grass.

After a good two years or so of learning how to catch Weedles, it was graduation day. Finally Gorm could go to the Pokemon lab, select his first starter Pokemon and go out into the world. Professor Birch led him down to the Pokemon in the center of the room, as his parents watched on with pride. But then, when the time came to decide which Pokemon he'd start his journey with, Gorm had already made his mind up long ago. He produced his GEODUDE from his backpack and proudly proclaimed "This one!". Silence fell across the room.

Since then, Gorm has been in earnest training. His parents, constantly flustered by his decision, have been trying everything to get him to go back and pick a better starter. But Gorm would have none of it. He and GEODUDE were best friends and he'd train him and they would travel the world together. That is, if his parents would let him leave town. But they didn't believe his Pokemon could adequately protect him in the outside world. And so he trained.
    And his parents are sick of it. It was bad enough all the broken windows and furnishings that were appearing as Rock Throw was practiced everywhere. But when the neighbours Skitty turned up bludgeoned nigh on death, something had to be done.

So now Gorm finds himself on his way to the Pokemon Academy. It's not quite the adventure he was hoping for, but if he can graduate, maybe then he'll be able to prove that both he and GEODUDE have what it takes to go on their own escapades.

James Stone Refresh: 3
    High Concept:
    Viciously Competitive Martial Artist
    -What do you mean "Match Point?" Fine! I want a rematch!

Aspect:
    Holds Grudges With An Iron Fist
    -What do you mean you don't want a rematch?! I won't forget this!
    The Best Lies Are Mostly Truth
    -Just figure out what you need them to believe to get what you want and just tell them that. Some people really over-think it.
    I Don't Need Anyone's Help, Especially Not Big Bro's!
    -It's only a complex if you deny it. Anyway, it's a good thing I don't have a complex.

Skills:
    Might - 4
    -As it turns out, Martial Arts makes you good at hitting things. Who knew?
    Pokemon Training- 3
    -Even I had to admit that Big Bro was a pretty good trainer. So, I might have, uh, "borrowed" a few ideas from him.
    Endurance - 3
    -Big Bro always had me up at 5AM to start the day by running laps around the dojo. At least it paid off.
    Athletics - 2
    -...And after the laps around the dojo, that's when the REAL workout started.
    Charisma - 2
    -Big Bro wasn't the sharpest tack around, but he could almost smell lies. Almost.
    Empathy - 2
    -What can I say? A bit of Stirn rubbed off on me.
    Poké-Knowledge - 1
    -Just growing in a Pokemon Gym will teach you some. It's not rocket science or anything.
    Resources - 1
    -Pocket change from odd jobs around town.
    Scholarship - 1
    -Just because I hit things a lot doesn't mean I'm a moron.
    Survival - 1
    -A few weekends out of the year, Big Bro tossed me out into the wilderness and told me to fend for myself.
    ...It would have been a lot more convincing if his Hawlucha hadn't shadowed me the entire time, though.
    Alertness - 1
    -Always got to see that next punch coming.

Stress and Complications
    Physical Stress - 5
    Mental Stress - 4
    Stunts:
    Inner Calm (Martial Artist Stunt): Reduce Pokemon's Speed by one to increase Power or Hardiness by one for this round.

Stirn (Meditite)
    Fighting/Psychic

Aspects
    Precognitive Bruiser
    I Meditate To Keep Me Relaxed (Or Else!)
    Short Fights Are Good Fights
    Tricks Are Beneath Me

Attributes
    Hardiness - 3
    Power - 4
    Special - 2
    Speed - 1

Stress Track : 4
    PP: 5

Moves
    Brick Break
    [Fighting] [Attack]
    Attribute: Power
    Effect: The Pokemon sharply jabs, breaking any defenses! +2 Power. If the attack succeeds, remove all Armor from the target.

Meditate
    [Psychic] [Maneuver]
    Attribute: Hardiness
    Effect: Taking a moment to center itself, the Pokemon's muscles bulge with energy! Increase Power by 1 for 2 rounds.

Ability and Stunts
    Pure Power: If a Power attack is successful, do an extra point of stress as damage.

Backstory
    One thing that I've always just kind of assumed about the setting is that for every proper Gym where the protagonists do battle, earn badges, etc, there's at least a dozen smaller "gyms" in various towns that are much simpler affairs to cater to the locals' needs. Jack's Dojo is one of the more successful ones and, in a few years, may even receive an invitation to join the Pokemon League as a real Gym. Assuming, of course, Jack actually remembers to keep up to date on his paperwork.

As for James, his parents are very busy with their own work (which I'm to lazy to come up with James doesn't understand), leaving Jack to look after his younger brother most of the time. So, like it or not, James was essentially forcibly enrolled in Jack's dojo. Aside from the frankly absurd time that Jack forces James to rise and shine, James enjoys the competition with the other students. And since the day that James broke another kid's nose for saying that Jack takes it easier on James because they're brothers, no one's brought up the fact that he's related to Jack at all. James is pretty glad everyone's on the same page now, because he earned a whole month of cleaning the dojo and "weekend wilderness training" for that.

James actually met Stirn during the first of that month's wilderness excursions, as he was almost boiling over with frustration and doubts. He set up camp close enough to where Stirn had settled down to meditate. James' bad vibes were so distracting that Stirn actually came over to see what was wrong. They hit it off wonderfully, and as James and Stirn trotted out of the woods behind the dojo, Jack tried to not seem too pleased that James had brought a new friend. This WAS supposed to be a punishment, after all.

Regarding player connections, I was thinking that Jack's dojo would be near enough to Littleroot Town that Gorm and James would know each other. Gorm seems rambuncious enough that he and James could have gotten into all kinds of shenanigans during their visits.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Kuri Volkova Refresh: 3
    High Concept:
    Move-Tutor-in-Training
    - Nepotism only gets one so far. To earn a place in the family business, you eventually need to walk the walk.

Aspects:
    Scion of a Secretive Sinnoh Oligopoly
    - A legacy of questionable morals and immense finances. Luckily, a sordid past is easily buried under a big pile of money.
    Everyone Has Their Price
    - All troubles can be turned into transactions, and cash conquers all. If it isn't, you aren't using enough of it.
    A Young Pessimist
    - If you think it's going to rain, it will. Always carry an umbrella.

Moves
    Resources - 4
    - A modest weekly allowance, for casual purchases.
    Empathy - 3
    - Astonishingly good at picking up on subtext. Mostly used to unnerve adults.
    Pokemon Training - 3
    - Bring your daughter/niece to work day was just about every day.
    Alertness - 2
    - Kuri does not watch nor look, she observes.
    Charisma - 2
    - In a family like this, keeping a straight face at all times is a necessary survival trait.
    Poké-Knowledge - 2
    - A bit of light tutoring with a professor or two, so as not to embarrass herself at the Academy.
    Drive - 1
    - Courtesy of a Ponyta at her parents' summer ranch.
    Intimidation - 1
    - Don't mess with a Volkova.
    Scholarship - 1
    - The standard childhood study regimen, with a slight focus on matters of business and finance.
    Stealth - 1
    - Avoiding the spotlight is something of a family tradition at this point.
    Weapon - 1
    - Fencing classes. It was either that or Ballet.

Stress and Complications
    Physical Stress - 2
    Mental Stress - 6

Stunts:
    Energy Efficient (Move Tutor Stunt): The Pokemon's Moves cost two less PP to use for this round.

Uzha (Shuppet)
    Ghost
    Aspects
    Negativity is My Bread and Butter
    I'm Not "Impish", I'm Just Sewn That Way
    Pretty Strong For a Cloth Puppet
    At Home in the Shadows

Attributes
    Hardiness - 2
    Power - 4
    Special - 2
    Speed - 2

Stress Track : 4

Moves
    Shadow Sneak
    [Ghost] [Attack]
    Effect: Shuppet extends its shadow and attacks the enemy from behind. +2 Power. This Move always goes first, regardless of turn order.(?)

Confuse Ray
    [Ghost] [Maneuver]
    Attribute: Special
    Range: Zone 2; One Target
    Opposed by: Hardiness
    Effect: The target is exposed to a sinister ray that triggers confusion. The target receives the aspect "Confused" that lasts for 2 rounds.

Ability and Stunts
    Insomnia: Prevents the Pokémon from falling asleep.

Backstory
    Much of Kuri's backstory is intended to key off her Scion to a Secretive Sinnoh Oligopoly aspect. I'm thinking a generation or two ago, her ancestors set up shop on Sinnoh's Battle Zone, the hub for hyper-competitive battling, and got their start selling Move Tutor services to the hopeful Trainers of the area. After figuring out just how much money people were willing to throw for the potential edge that additional rare or unusual moves could provide, the family consolidated, cornered as much of the market as possible, and earned a fortune.

After that, in typical Russian-oligarch-style fashion, they multiplied that fortune and amassed additional power by careful application of nepotism, property and business purchases, and being savvy, cutthroat investors.

All this financial privateering would probably have garnered the family a mixed reputation, but they've abided by an extremely strict system of secrecy, and avoidance of the press and public eye, maintaining many investments through subsidiaries, separate companies (owned by family members), and other methods of hiding their sizable social and financial clout. Whether this is due to eccentricity, paranoia, or hiding from an actual threat, only the highest ranks of the family knows for sure.

Into this modern day dynasty, Kuri is born. Tightly regimented schedules, harsh tutoring, and the pressures of living up to her family's name are a constant presence of her upbringing. The posted bodyguards, carefully controlled playdates, and Pokemon Training lessons do little to break up the abiding sense of loneliness, and all the trappings of wealth that might build up a sense of entitlement and arrogance in another child only drive Kuri deeper into melancholy.

Kuri's latent misery eventually attract a young Shuppet, her feelings of isolation promising a fine meal for the negativity-devouring Pokemon. Slipping past security in the guise of a harmless doll, the Puppet Pokemon introduced itself to the troubled girl, earned her trust, and promptly began gorging itself on her bad emotions. After the Pokemon was discovered, Kuri fought tooth and nail to be allowed to keep it, her sudden assertiveness and intensity eventually persuading her parents to acquiesce.

Since uniting with the Shuppet, now named Uzha, Kuri has been pushing for increased freedom, and opportunity to pursue her own interests and individuality. Accepted into the Pokemon Academy, and Ryukyu Island begrudgingly deemed safe enough by her family's security director, Kuri looks forward to putting some distance between herself and the strange cares of her relatives, distance she plans to use to explore her options, meet new people with new perspectives, and ultimately decide whether she wishes to accept her birthright among her privileged kin, or part ways to forge her own pat

Lee Samberg
    High Concept:
    It’s a Sailor’s Life for Me!
    Someday I will sail the seas alongside father on the S.S. Tidal

Aspect:
    Day Dreamer
    Overly Friendly
    Make Father Proud

Skills:
    Charisma – 4
    Alertness -3
    Athletics - 2
    Empathy - 2
    Endurance - 2
    Driving - 2
    Poké-Knowledge - 2
    Pokemon Training- 1
    Intimidation – 1
    Might - 1
    Resources – 1
    Scholarship – 1
    Stealth - 1
    Survival - 1
    Weapons - 1

Physical Stress - 4
    Mental Stress - 4

Stunts: Healing Waves (Swimmer High Aspect)- Lead Pokemon gains 2 HP this turn.

Mudkip
    Water/Ground

Aspects
    Curious but Cautious
    Strong Willed
    Playful
    Great Hider

Hardiness – 1
    Power - 4
    Special - 3
    Speed - 2

Stress Track : 3
    PP: 6

Tackle
    [Normal] [Attack]
    Cost: 1 PP
    Effect: The Pokemon goes on the offensive, ramming its opponent! +2 Power.

Water Gun
    [Water] [Attack]
    Cost 2 PP
    Attribute: Special
    Range Zone 2; One Target
    Effect: The enemy is blasted with a forceful shot of water! +2 Special.

Ability and Stunts
    Torrent: +2 to Water Type Moves when Mudkip has 1 Stress Box undamaged.

Backstory
    The first thing you will notice when entering Slateport City (the ninth largest city in the world) off Bicycle Route 110 from Mauville City is that everything revolves around the port. Every day massive cargo ships and cruise ships travel through there with a nearly never ending flow of people and goods. It was here where Lee Samberg was born and raised by his loving middle class parents of Mark and Lisa Samberg.
    Lee’s father was sailor onboard the S.S. Tidal and sadly was not home a lot, but when his father would return from the long journeys out at sea he would tell Lee these amazing stories of pirates and Pokémon battles and storms so powerful they threat to tear the ship to pieces. Lee eyes would light up with every new tale and from a very young age dreamed of someday joining his out at sea and be a sailor too.
    When Mark Samberg realized that his son’s dreams where not just childish fantasies he devoted every minute he could spare when home to teaching Lee everything there was to being a sailor, from map reading, wind and water currents, swimming, to even how to ride Tenacools.
    Lee loved the times he got to spend with his father over the years but when the times came where he would have to sail away these where when Lee would feel the most alone. It was during one of these times that a curious thing happened. Lee was sitting on the beach off Route 109 minding his own when suddenly the sand at his feet began to move! Lee jumped back just in time to see a blue Pokémon with star shaped fins appeared out of the ground.
    The blue little Pokémon (Lee would later learned it was a Mudkip) blinked a moment at Lee then cocked his head to one side and stared. Lee finally reached slowly into his backpack and find some crackers. After a few minutes the little blue guy grabbed the crackers and ate them. From there on in Lee and this Pokémon where together everywhere he went.
    Lee worked hard to try and train Mudkip but nothing he did seemed to work. So Lee applied to become a student at the world famous Pokémon Academy. Surprising it took 6 months for him to be accepted but it finally happened and Lee Samberg is on his way to making his dreams come true.

Mari Kotoku Refresh: 2
    High Concept: Ninja-in-Training - Mari is a scion of the Kotoku clan, a proud line of ninjas who have served in an espionage capacity for many generations alongside their Pokémon. Surprisingly, Mari is both rather good and rather bad at being a Ninja.

Rather Loud for Someone Who's Supposed to be Sneaky - Outspoken, thy name is Kotoku-san. Charitably referred to as boisterous, uncharitably as a loud mouth, Mari speaks her opinion before she thinks about it.

Friends are Family - Loyal to a fault, Mari chooses her friends carefully and bonds to them like superglue.

Who Says Ninjas Can't Have Honor!? - Never one to exploit an unfair advantage, Mari always tries to give her opposition an even playing field, even when it's to the detriment of her own best interests.

SKILLS
    Alertness - 2
    Athletics - 2
    Charisma - 1
    Empathy - 1
    Endurance - 1
    Might - 4
    Poké-Knowledge - 1
    Pokémon Training - 3
    Resources - 1
    Stealth - 3
    Weapons - 2

Health: 3
    Mental: 3

STUNT
    Ninjutsu Training! (Ninja Stunt) - This stunt allows the Pokémon to apply an extra type to a move with which it shares a type. For example, Mach Punch, when using this stunt, could be come THUNDER MACH PUNCH, an electric/fighting type punch.

Gyoza (Pancham)
    Fighting/Dark

ASPECTS

High Concept: Big Hearted Brawler
    When In Doubt Get Creative
    Bold Things Come In Small Packages
    Gyoza Strongest There Is!

Power 4
    Hardiness 3
    Special 2
    Speed 1

HP: 4

MOVE LIST

Sucker Punch
    [Dark] [Attack]
    Cost: 3 PP, must be below the target in initiative
    Target: One target
    Opposed by: Speed
    Effect: A move that goes one way, swings in from the other. Strikes with Power +4.

Comet Punch
    [Normal] [Attack]
    Target: One target
    Effect: The user lets loose a flurry of punches. Strikes with power +0.
    Special: If the first strike is successful the user rolls 1d4 and makes that many additional strikes at Power +0. If a strike in the sequence misses the move is over.

Focus Energy
    [Normal] [Maneuver]
    Attribute: N/A
    Opposed by: N/A
    Effect: Time to get jacked! Places the aspect Pumped Up! on the user.
    Special: The Pumped Up! aspect comes with two free tags instead of one. Note the normal rules apply of using any given aspect only once per roll.

ABILITY
    Iron Fist - This Pokémon's punches are strong and inflict 1 extra stress.

Backstory
    None... @ArcanisTheImpotent I'll like to know more about your character....

I'm going to leave the questions up for the rest of the day, if there is anything you guys want to add, you got until tomorrow to do so, including changing anything about your characters.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    We're on a Boat
    "And your name is?"
    "I'm Joseph, one of the mechanics for this here ship."
    "A mechanic. What exactly does that job entail?"
    Joseph slowly puts down his wrench. "Did you need some help, miss? I'm a bit busy?"
    Kuri watches his expression nervously. "I'm being dismissed?" she ventures, surprised that someone isn't making time for her.
    "Well, I mean, if you don't have anything you need, I've got stuff to take care of," the man replies, turning back to his work while Kuri thinks over his response.
    "Goodbye then," she finally says, walking away.
    "The nerve of that man," she says under her breath. "I should see him fired," she adds, darkly, as Uzha hums his agreement.

"You there, what is the protocol for evacuating this ship when it capsizes," Kuri demands. The navigator looks up from her map, then to her right and left to ensure the child is, in fact, asking her.
    "What makes you think the ship is going to capsize?" she replies in the slow, patient tone reserved for children of unknown origin who've somehow gotten onto the bridge. Kuri's eyes narrow at the blatant condescension.
    "In the storm," she says tersely. "Which is no doubt coming."
    The navigator very briefly spares a glance to the ship's aft window, clear skies as far as the eye can see. "And you know that because..."
    "The waves," Kuri says with all the seriousness her tiny form can muster. "Are very large."
    The navigator's smile freezes just a bit. "I think they're the normal size. For waves."
    "Well maybe you're not very good at your job then," Kuri shoots back.

After being escorted back to her room by a sailor, Kuri sits on the edge of her cot, feet dangling over the floor. "Maybe this was a mistake," she says, addressing the Shuppet gently floating around the center of the room, its fabric splayed out as it drifts like an octopus' tentacles. The Ghost Type turns a pair of yellow eyes on his forlorn Trainer and chuckles quietly.

"Maybe I should try speaking," Kuri continues slowly, working it out in her head. "To people my own age." The idea of approaching another child without the mediating and organizing presence of an adult proving to be a worrying one. Most of her fellow youth were incredibly savage creatures as soon as the parents had their backs turned, she had found. Nevertheless, she's willing to give the notion a shot before giving up.

Kuri's next attempt to engage a comic-reading child by the name of Franklin in a discussion falls flat quite quickly, both parties being incredibly intimidated by the other's completely alien social mores and method of speaking, and the inability of one to understand the point of cartoons while the other is at a loss when faced with recent finance news.

Her next endeavor involves trying to make conversation with the owner of a Bellsprout, a young girl called Evelynn who is taking her Pokemon out for a rejuvenating walk in the sun. Though they are able to speak briefly about their experiences with their companions, once the topic turns to Moves Kuri very quickly manages to offend Evelynn with a somewhat pointed observation that the Bellsprout line typically has difficulties with Tutor lessons, greatly reducing their flexibility in battle, and ultimately their usefulness. After the girl excuses herself in a huff, Kuri is left wondering what she said wrong once more.

This whole 'making friends' thing, she observes, is more difficult then she had at first assumed.

Tentatively testing out some in-character fiction to get a voice flowing. It seems like Kuri suffers from some foot-in-mouth, at least on the boat ride. By the time she reaches the academy, I wager she'll have made enough mistakes to have cottoned on to how to conduct herself with people outside her particular social class. Won't stop her from having made some bad impressions on the ride, though, I suppose.

Completely misjudging her audience and/or forgetting to dial down her privileged expectations would probably be a great source of botched Charisma rolls and Scion compels. Not so much bratty behavior as unusually insensitive and perhaps a shade callous. After all, if it's not about money it can't be that important to someone, can it?

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    From now on, all OOC chat will be in spoilers to not break the flow. Since we dont have sessions being a play by post game, we are going to do episodes. All damage (except Moderate, which will be downgraded to Mild unless otherwise stated) will be gone when you start the next episode. All rolls are also to be done in spoilers.
    Episode 1: Welcome to the Pokémon Academy!

It had taken seven days to reach Ryukyu Island, the largest of a chain of islands, and the home to the Pokémon Academy. All the new students and even a few of the older ones returning from the summer break watched as the island came to view between the clouds of steam of the volcano still active below the ocean. Ryukyu island was breathtaking, with its lush jungles and massive cliffs. The SS Destiny passed Starwave City, a popular tourist spot and rated one of the best surfing spots in the world as one loud mouth kid couldn't help but repeat. Going around the Northern side of the island the students found the Old Ryukyu Lighthouse, the second tallest in the world. Despite being closed for years, the light still shone across the water at night. Or so the legend goes...

On the Western side, the ship slowed down to navigate though the Spine, a group of sharp reefs and old pirate ships that could rip holes into modern ship and sink them. Lee could name each one of the ships to James and even tell some of the great stories about when those ships where sailing and raiding. Uzha seem quite pleased with the area. The new Lighthouse was next to come to view. While not as tall as the Old Lighthouse, it was more sophisticated and was brighter. It was necessary to help late night ships from going too close to the Spine at night. Behind it, Lu, one of the Trihead Mountains, cast its shadow across the island and over the Destiny.

Finally, the SS Destiny made its way across the Southern tip, to its final stop of the day, the Ryukyu Island Pokémon Academy. First of its kind and the most prestigious of the four across the world. It looked like a crystal fortress, with its large white walls surrounding three sides of the school grounds. The top of the main building stood vigilant with its clock tower, counting down the minutes until the new school year. A group of Wailmers shot water towards the students as the ship makes its final approach to the Academy's docks. On the docks are teachers and guard waiting for the students.

*bzzz* "SS Destiny to Ryukyu Island's Pokémon Academy. Final Stop. All passengers are highly encouraged to leave nothing behind and disembark ASAP." *bzzz*

The group already has their bags and Pokémon and line up to leave. However, the crowd parts to let an older gentleman and his Arcanine to pass through. "Sorry, sorry. Quite a crowd, hey Archie?"
    "Ark!" was the Pokémon's reply.

James and Lee where the next to leave when studdenly they where puched back by a Machop. "Make way." Some puggly kid James saw either said as Margrette and her Purrloin walked on by, followed by her worshipers. None of them bothered to look at the boy or the crowd.

Once eveyone is off the ship, one of the teachers waves down the first years. "All new students to meeee!" The teacher is covered in a dress of flowers, and surrounded by Seedots, Vileplumes, and other Plant Pokémon. "I'm Professor Cherrybloom, welcome to the Ryukyu Island's Pokémon Academy. Anyone have a question before we get started?"

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    Kuri pads over to the calling teacher, Uzha once again snugly curled around her jacket's collar, her life preserver gone, but the umbrella still remaining close to hand. Eyeing the many Grass types warily, the Volkova daughter briefly entertains asking about the Spine which had so obviously piqued her Shuppet's tastes, but remains true to her earlier resolution to maintain a quiet, studious demeanor until she can be certain she won't inadvertently say something of further injury to her reputation.

Plus there will be plenty of time to read up on the local flavor in the upcoming days, no doubt. Better to wait, and observe the others until she can reliably talk the talk.

• Options
    James Stone

Grumbling about the bossy fat kid, James impatiently waits for her highness's royal court to make their way off. James will even things up with him him later. It wouldn't do to get into a fight on their first day. And if he did, James was smart enough to at least wait until there were a lot less teachers around. He didn't think they'd toss him in the woods, but... well... you never know.

The teacher calling for all the first years looked normal...ish. Lots of really good trainers were eccentric, he knew, so maybe this was a good sign! She obviously had a thing for grass Pokemon, and they were ok. He really wanted to meet the teacher who knew all about fighting Pokemon, though. His muscles would probably have their own muscles! After everyone was milling around near Professor Cherrybloom, she asked for questions. Only one question mattered to James right now.

"So, when are we going to get to battle?"

• Options
    edited March 2014
    As the ship pulled into port, Gorm was completely enthralled. He had never left Littleroot before, and so the boat ride over was novel.
    But this place! Hewn from the cliffs and shining rock! And reaching taller than any trees he'd ever seen!
    Now this was an adventure, and Gorm was rushing around the boat trying to take it all in.

Once they'd made port, he made his way in a daze to Professor Cherrybloom, barely listening.
    "Are we really going to live here?" he asked under his breath, craning his neck backwards once more to admire the full wonder of the walls.

But one word broke him out of his reverie, "Wait, Professor? Are we going to be taught by Pokemon Professors?".

discrider on
  • Options
    Backstory:

The Kotoku clan are proud and trace their line back at least five hundred years, their skills having always been employed by someone of power and influence.

The modern world has little use for assassins though, and so the clan has had to adapt itself to an espionage role, submerged in the secrets trade. The children of the Kotokus are allowed to choose their own path in life, but if they want to walk a road that's outside the family business then they should expect little help from the family.

Luckily Mari is not one of those kids; a little bit of a romantic, she is wrapped up in the mythology of the ancient Kotoku Ninja and has in her head that they are like some kind of shadowy samurai, all nobility and honor and skill. The family's decided to enroll her in the Pokémon Academy simply to get her away from the house for awhile so she can learn a little bit about how the world REALLY operates.

Her Pancham Gyoza, pulled from very selective stock from the Kotoku Breeding House, is her oldest playmate. He's been with her since she was very young and has been awaiting the day when Mari finally began down her road as a Pokémon trainer. He is determined to show Mari, and everyone else, that he, well... that Gyoza Strongest There Is!

• Options
    edited March 2014
    James's question picks up some students interest. "All battles will be in designated areas, such as the gym, the stadium field, or during special events. Fighting outside these areas are prohibited and doing so will cause us to take administrative action." Professor Cherrybloom looks at one of the passing teachers, a rough looking man with claw marks down the side of his face. Once he was out of ear shot Cherrybloom lends down and whispers "But that doesn't really stops the students. Just don't get caught!"

She changes the subject with a wink. "And if you are referring to those stuffy white coats in their labs, sure, we have a few of them. But most of us are educational professors, I myself have a Master's in Pokémon Biology and a Bachelor's in Youth Education. I have all the Badges of Hoenn League and a few from Kanto. My Pokémon hold dozens of awards in different contest through the world. As do many of the Professors here. We are all highly qualified and experienced. Much better then those lab coats and their theoretically experience."

"Any other questions?"

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    As the ship pulled into the port Lee wore a huge smile from ear to ear, but inside he was a little sad.The Pokemon Academy looked amazing with its high cliffs, crystal fortress, and Pokemon of every kind around but in some ways Lee was gonna miss not being on the ship. There is just something about foamy waves crashing on the side and the smell of the sea in the warm breeze wising by that made Lee's heart swell. As Lee waited for the others to get off the ship He closed his eyes and let all happiness and joy of the trip here rush inside his heart and locked it away. 'Look on the bright side,' Lee thought to himself. 'you made a few friends and there will be more adventures to come.'

Lee liked Professor Cherrybloom the minute he saw her. Her warm smile and soothing voice made Lee just melt. He was so smitten with her that he mind went blank when she asked if anyone had any questions. It wasn't tell he heard James nearly shout his question about fighting or something did Lee snap out his semi-coma and piped up.

"Are you going to be one of our teachers and do we get to pick our classes?" Lee finally found his voice enough to say.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    "Ooh ooh! Can we see your Pokemon miss?", Gorm blurted out.

discrider on
  • Options
    Professor Cherrybloom smiles a bit at Lee's enthusiasm. "As first years you will be taking introduction classes to each subject we offer here. We find that most students come here thinking this is all about battling when its so much more. For example, my class is Pokéherbalism. In it we study how different plants effect Pokémon, a useful skill for anyone out in the wilderness."

The Professor grabs a Pokéball from one of her pockets. "This is my first Pokémon and winner of dozens of Beauty Contest throughout the world. Come on out, Ludicolo!" In a flash of light, the Carefree Pokémon appears, and starts to dance. "Lu Lu Lu-di-co-lo! Lu Lu Lu-di-co-lo!" The other Pokémon around Cherrybloom begin to dance to the beat. Some of the other students' Pokémon seem to enjoy the song too except Uzha, who looks like she would rather be elsewhere.

Once Cherrybloom returns her Pokémon back to the Pokéball, she turns around and grabs a box from the stack everyone just notices was behind her. "Inside these boxes are some things for your schooling, such as a map of the grounds and Ryukyu Island. By the way, as first years you are not allowed to leave school grounds without a Professor's permission. And trust me, you'll need a good excuse to allow it. But every few weeks we do let you go to the city, as long as you have been on your best behavior." She starts to call names and passes the boxes out to the new students. "Also inside is the school rule book, one empty Pokéball that you will be required to bring with you to Professor Esula's class, and which living quarters you are apart of. In this school, everyone is spilt into three groups, Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres. Throughout the year, you will be able to earn awards towards your team in the form of badges. Each badge is a point and the team with the highest score wins and gets the honor to hold the Unhatched Egg in their main hall." Cherrybloom hands the last box out. "The Unhatched Egg is one we found on the Island while we were building the school. In the 15 years we have had the egg, it hasn't hatched but its still warm to the touch. We give it to each winning team to keep for the next school year in case it does. We don't even know what kind of Pokémon is in it!" The SS Destiny gives off a final whistle, signalling that all students where off. "One last thing before we move to the Opening Ceremony, we now have a phone app called Pokédex Mobile. You can use it to idenify any known Pokémon you might see. I'd highly suggest you download it now unless you want to memorizes every Pokémon out there. Now, grab your things and let's go to the Opening Ceremony!"