As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Watch Dogs] GTA4 impregnates Deus Ex, while NVidia PhysX watches like a voyeur. +DRM

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    Looks like a pretty decent GTA IV mod.

I kid, I kid.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I hope the characters and story are at least average. If it's awful, I may wait till it's 20 bucks, but man, I don't even care if the graphics are PS2 level... I really just want to play Person of Interest: the game.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    jeffinva wrote: »
    Looks like a pretty decent GTA IV mod.

I kid, I kid.
    Though, people picking the trailer apart have already pointed out some weird things in it. Like entire scenes with shadows missing under characters running around outside in the middle of the day.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/086/3/e/untitled_378_by_dennisk4-d7bufog.gif

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    I think it looks fine for what it is, being an open world game developed for last gen/Xbox One/WiiU alongside PC and PS4, so I wasn't expecting Infamous Second Son level visuals. But it's hard to resist a dig.

• Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    The downgraded graphics really aren't that surprising. That's what happens when you shackle one leg to the 360, Wii U, and PS3, instead of going whole hog on the next gen platforms.

However, if the gameplay lives up to its potential, I don't think downgraded graphics are that big a deal.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I dunno, the newer gameplay stuff is kinda concerning too, seems there's a lot more focus shooting and explosions and escapes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I suppose shooting, explosions and escapes appeal to a wider aduience than hacking gameplay, which could be why they're focusing on it... Or it really does consist mainly of shooting, explosions and escapes, with a sprinkling of perfunctory hacking. In which case I will be very, very, disappointed.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    It depends how on rails it is. Like, AC's actual missions are pretty scripted, even if some of those scriptings are 'auto fail if you get caught instead of slaughtering everyone'

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    I dunno, the newer gameplay stuff is kinda concerning too, seems there's a lot more focus shooting and explosions and escapes.

I do like the idea of wounding police and enemies with guns instead of straight up killing them every time. That's a feature in Ground Zeroes too.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Are they going to adjust the graphics per platform? I am kinda meh about this now.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Are they going to adjust the graphics per platform? I am kinda meh about this now.

I'm sure the XBOne, PS4 and especially PC versions will look better, but I'm waiting to see what it looks like at release before jumping in. We know what the engine is capable of, but it's apparent a lot of the in-game models have been downgraded from the original vision of the game, and that's almost certainly not changing.

Actually more than the graphics, I'm interested to see what they've done to the gameplay. I really liked the idea of having a canvas of abilities painted over the world to complete tasks in creative ways, but I can see these things getting shoehorned into a very specific, very linear progression with a lot of fail states if done poorly.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    That was supposedly the reason for the delay, the game apparently felt repetitive in the open world. At least they've taken the time to improve it.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular

Looks pretty good.

When are they going to show us the PC/Xbone/PS4 version? Cause that can't be it.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    So. I realize this has nothing to do with the actual story. But I had kind of been hoping that CTOS had become intelligent, and had made sure these next gen hacky phones "found" their way into main character's hands as well as a few other people and was enlisting them in order to have actual agency in preventing the crime it was built to protect the city from. Kind of eagle eye style.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

Looks pretty good.

When are they going to show us the PC/Xbone/PS4 version? Cause that can't be it.

That's it.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I am getting the vibe this one is really utilizing the PS4 hardware and I would have to upgrade my PC to match it.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Depends on how lazy the port is. AC4 ran pretty poorly, but AC3 ran perfectly fine on lower end machines, despite not looking that much worse

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

Looks pretty good.

Rather than just repeating, "graphics aren't everything." I will say it is certainly a step backwards from what was shown before. My hopes are the gamplay is solid, but whether its a day one buy or steam sale purchase is up in the air at this time. It doesn't help that very little gameplay has actually been shown.

So, I'm cautious, but hoping for the best.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Of course the reduced CPU power of a 360 vd an Xbone or a PS4 will potentially cripple other aspects of the gameplay like AI

• Options
    Or more importantly, RAM.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    One of the developers stated they couldn't exhaust the PS4's memory, which only has 8GB, so I think they're fine in that respect (though of course the PC version could have greater density and a more active world, of course). The Xbone also has 8GB of RAM but maybe some of it is tied up between the hypervisor and the VM it runs, dunno.

Edit: meant they could not exhaust the memory budget

jeffinva on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I think he's moreso saying that since the game has to also be able to operate on the PS3/360's 256MB of RAM that it will be far more limited with the other versions too.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I think he's moreso saying that since the game has to also be able to operate on the PS3/360's 256MB of RAM that it will be far more limited with the other versions too.
    Yeah that's what I meant. And I thought the PS4 had marginally more accessible memory than the X1?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It's about half a gig IIRC.

It'd be real nice if they dropped the whole parity thing this generation, just go nuts and make each version as awesome as possible rather than chaining to the lowest common denominator.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Surely, they will scale it to each machine. PS4 was supposed to have an hours worth of extra content so I am leaning towards that one.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Surely, they will scale it to each machine.

Ha! scale it to each machine :rotate:

:cry:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Surely, they will scale it to each machine. PS4 was supposed to have an hours worth of extra content so I am leaning towards that one.

It's just a standard Ubisoft thing. All their games have extra content on Sony systems (or time limited exclusive content), so I would not take it as a sign they're really scaling it to each machine.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    So I did a system check and my processor, Intel Duo 3.16GHz, failed the minimum. Does this mean the game will flat out refuse to operate? Or does it just mean the frame rate will be mostly unacceptable? Everything else checks out.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    You know personally, I don't think having black criminals in games is a bad thing but you know I'm a black dude and I grew up in those bad parts of neighborhoods and I know crime does exist.

I also live in Chicago and a truth of the matter is that a lot of the poorer neighborhoods are black and Hispanic(that said the reason for this has a lot to do with many problems still held over from pre-civil rights society).

The only problematic part is that in games minorities are often delegated to the role of bad guy or caricatured sidekid. And most of the time its some random white dude and his group of white friends saving the day.

That's why its always interesting and off-putting when people do games about contemporary street crime. Its interesting to actually see it being addressed, but most of the time its just window dressing for the same old video game shit.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I feel you Dragkonias. I'm mexican and I don't like that cartels are something that comes up a lot in the news but that's the way it is.

The things I could tell you.

But we gotta remember that groups of thugs don't represent the spirit of a city or country. That there is hard-working good people out there but hardly interesting to gamedev dramaturges.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    It's really in how they treat the material.

Is the Wire, or Treme, a racist show because it shows black people doing terrible things, or is it a commentary (at times) on socioeconomic conditions and systemic racism that is true to the city(cities) they are portraying?

I don't know if this is the game to do it, but I don't think it's impossible to handle topics like this in vidjagames if film, literature and television have so successfully done so.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I didn't mean to imply that the problematic aspect of that picture was that it depicted African American as criminals. I started to write out a post about everything that's wrong with the screenshot and realized it would perhaps take us pretty far afield. So let me just say that if the only thing you see in that picture that's potentially problematic is black people doing bad things, you're missing the stuff that's actually bad, but whatever, so is UbiSoft, so you have some good company I suppose.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Well...I mean you could explain your problems with it.

Honestly, I enjoy talking about things like this and I think its kind of rude and presumptuous to say that someone already thinks a certain way when all you've given them to go on is a picture.

That said looking at the way the picture is framed. I could see how it could promote a problematic street viligante power fantasy.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I didn't mean to imply that the problematic aspect of that picture was that it depicted African American as criminals. I started to write out a post about everything that's wrong with the screenshot and realized it would perhaps take us pretty far afield. So let me just say that if the only thing you see in that picture that's potentially problematic is black people doing bad things, you're missing the stuff that's actually bad, but whatever, so is UbiSoft, so you have some good company I suppose.
    Sure, but that's the tone your post seemed to be implying, which is what other people were responding to

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I mean, I could spend time on the fact that the guy holding the gun is white and the guys holding bats are black, that the girl is dressed as she is, or a million other little things.

But until I have context, I'm not going to act like they did something wrong here. I could take equally awful shots from dozens of games and films.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    syndalis wrote: »
    I mean, I could spend time on the fact that the guy holding the gun is white and the guys holding bats are black, that the girl is dressed as she is, or a million other little things.

But until I have context, I'm not going to act like they did something wrong here. I could take equally awful shots from dozens of games and films.

Well, you know. I think these are shots we need to take at games like these.

Because, like you said, they're problems that keep cropping up over and over again.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Hey, for all we know the white dude on the floor just robbed that woman and the black dudes were coming back from their baseball game and intervened.