As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

From [Ukraine] with Love 2: The Crimea is not Enough!

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    At what point do we call this open war?

When there is a declaration. Russia hasn't technically invaded yet.

I mean obviously they have but even so.

Interesting to me that the protests and propaganda is all about federalizing Ukraine, not automatic absorption into Russia.

Guess we know Russia's endgame here.

I am also beginning to think Kiev's government won't be intact by the elections next month.

The talks, whatever good they'll be, seem to still be happening tomorrow.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Couscous wrote: »

RT: Donetsk Referendum set for May 11:

The Donetsk Region has defined the questions to be put on the May 11 referendum, stated regional Councilor Irina Popova. There will be just two of them:

1) Do you support the creation of an independent Donetsk Republic?

2) Of which state should a Donetsk Republic be part of: Ukraine or the Russian Federation?

The Central Election Commission of Donetsk Region has already been allocated a headquarters building next to the regional government administration and is currently forming the list of members.

I'll say it again: elections in the middle of tons of fearmongering usually don't result in anything good and wise. Looks like Russia might get an excuse to take over another part of the Ukraine.

And it's a pretty fucking misleading poll anyway.

There's no clear option that just says "Stay a part of Ukraine". It's baked into an option which already assumes that the respondent supports a higher degree of autonomy for Donetsk to begin with. How the fuck would you vote in this if your opinion extends merely to "Remain a part of Ukraine"?

It's a shitshow is what it is, designed with the same heads-I-win, tails-you-lose mentality to give an air of officiality and fairness, and to give the separatists and Russia a talking point almost no matter what.

Zephiran on
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    At what point do we call this open war?

When there is a declaration. Russia hasn't technically invaded yet.

I mean obviously they have but even so.

Interesting to me that the protests and propaganda is all about federalizing Ukraine, not automatic absorption into Russia.

Guess we know Russia's endgame here.

I am also beginning to think Kiev's government won't be intact by the elections next month.

The talks, whatever good they'll be, seem to still be happening tomorrow.

I seem to remember one of the early speeches by I think(?) the interim PM was basically "You will all probably hate me by the end of this, and I'm okay with that."

Though I think he was talking more about the austerity cuts he was planning on doing to get an IMF bailout, not getting pushed around by Russia.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    So do the fascists/far right in Ukraine have their own militias? They can't be happy with the incompetence of the current government or their military surrendering wholesale to Russian invaders.

• Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTdkY8tl2b0

nsfw video purportedly shows Russian colonel who knows if its true.

Man I feel sorry for those cops.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    FYI, Stephen Harper, Canada's Prime Minister, has been pretty belligerent towards Russia in the past little while. Well... Canadian belligerent, anyways.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    FYI, Stephen Harper, Canada's Prime Minister, has been pretty belligerent towards Russia in the past little while. Well... Canadian belligerent, anyways.

He's refused to apologise and is only leaving a 2% tip?

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

I'll bet he refused them tea and/or read the Game of Thrones books before they aired and then when Putin watched he just looked across the couch with a smug expression.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

He's challenged Putin to a hockey game.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I'd check the puck isn't glowing mysteriously before getting on the ice.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Taramoor wrote: »

I'll bet he refused them tea and/or read the Game of Thrones books before they aired and then when Putin watched he just looked across the couch with a smug expression.

Oh, it's well beyond that.

He read the books, learned when Putin had set time aside to watch a certain episode from last season...and spoiled everything.

Harper's a (Canadian) Conservative. He plays hardball full contact.

(real talk I'm Canadian and hate Harper but if he did this I'd feel ridiculously well-disposed towards him for about two days)

Shadowen on
  • Options
    IskraIskra Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I can't let that slide without posting this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRHLdAUgyW4

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    holy fuck Lavrov wears some ridiculously expensive suits

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

Fuck idiotic irredentism. This isn't a Palestinian situation where it was done illegally, recently, and you are still having your land taken over.

Couscous on
  • Options
    "Given". Not "seized". You don't get to undo gifts like this.

• Options
    Well I mean that's exactly what they did in Crimea, but it is in no way a justification.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Novorossiya is not just southeastern Ukraine; it is the entire Ukrainian coast, from Donetsk to the Dniester...which means it also includes Transnistria.

Also, I think Mongolia might have some words about who traditionally owned what out there.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    It'd be so great if Putin got smacked by the Golden Horde's attrition free 100,000 man army appearing in his eastern provinces.

is this still CK 2?

Trace on
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Seriously if the world operated the way Putin apparently thinks it does, Italy would be laying claim to the entire Mediterranean coast and Greece would be at war with Iran.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    CNBC: Putin admits Crimea involvement; warns on gas

Russian President Vladimir Putin has for the first time admitted that Russian forces were present in Crimea before its annexation last month but refuted claims they are currently operating in the eastern part of Ukraine.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Seriously if the world operated the way Putin apparently thinks it does, Italy would be laying claim to the entire Mediterranean coast and Greece would be at war with Iran.

If he thought it worked the way he says it does, he'd be flipping his shit over Alaska just as much as Crimea Novorussia.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Guys, Russia has politics just like we do.

I mean, he's absolutely laying the groundwork for seizing whatever he wants out of Ukraine, but he's also still a politician. Imagine how some of the dumbass things Palin, McCain, and Romney said about Russia would have sounded to those paranoid people in the Kremlin.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    B which I mean he doesn't actually believe the shit coming out of his mouth. Anymore than a US politicians actually believes that they should help the poor.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular

Russian President Vladimir Putin has for the first time admitted that Russian forces were present in Crimea before its annexation last month but refuted claims they are currently operating in the eastern part of Ukraine.

Peers into Crystal Ball...
    CNBC, 6 months in the future:

Russian President Vladimir Putin has for the first time admitted that Russian forces were present in Eastern Ukraine before its annexation last month but refuted claims they are currently operating in...

• Options
    http://en.itar-tass.com/world/728459

European Commission agrees to hold trilateral consultations on Ukraine’s gas debt

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    It'd be so great if Putin got smacked by the Golden Horde's attrition free 100,000 man army appearing in his eastern provinces.

is this still CK 2?

The mongols are some bullshit. Good thing they crumple easily against the might of a properly managed Roman Empire (Byzantium for the barbarians).

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Just a thought:

What about a bunch of NATO spec ops forces take their insignias off their uniforms and suddenly a ton of 'Pro-Ukranian' forces show up Donetsk? Heck, if things go well, they can vacation in Moscow.

A man can dream.

Seriously though, this shit makes me long for a time where political leaders could reasonably call each other out on their bullshit because Nukes, Tanks, Satellites and shit didn't exist yet.

Priest on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    well in that case we'd just have a giant, bloody war with thousands of casualties per day

soooooooo

I mean nukes aren't the reason NATO isn't kicking down the door and retaking Crimea, Russia isn't going to nuke Europe over Crimea. We're playing this game with Putin because nobody wants a giant bloodbath

override367 on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Priest wrote: »
    Just a thought:

What about a bunch of NATO spec ops forces take their insignias off their uniforms and suddenly a ton of 'Pro-Ukranian' forces show up Donetsk? Heck, if things go well, they can vacation in Moscow.

A man can dream.

Seriously though, this shit makes me long for a time where political leaders could reasonably call each other out on their bullshit because Nukes, Tanks, Satellites and shit didn't exist yet.

And wars routinely took years to resolve and people had to amputate their feet due to trench foot.

What a wonderful time it was!

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    I just googled that. Trench foot. That's nasty.

Finishes eating lunch.

Nasty, nasty.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

But April 1st was two weeks ago. This can't be real.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I have no idea what the hell Putin's endgame is here

I mean Europe can't make Russia a North Korea style pariah state, this second, but long term? Yeah I dunno

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Check out @NahlahAyed's Tweet:

Might as well burn that document now, because you know damn well the Russians aren't going to honor it.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Huh. I thought that would have turned out to be a hoax. Kind of ironic given that the pro-Russians were accusing the Kiev government of being a bunch of fascists.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »

Peers into Crystal Ball...
    CNBC, 6 months in the future:

Russian President Vladimir Putin has for the first time admitted that Russian forces were present in Eastern Ukraine before its annexation last month but refuted claims they are currently operating in...

Fool me six times, shame on you

Fool me seven times...

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

Obviously, they want to keep track of the local Jews so they can protect them from the antisemetic, fascist jackboots of the alleged Kiev regime.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill