Options

Armored Warfare by Obsidian - Pre-Alpha Footage pg.2

C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
edited October 2015 in Games and Technology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg_dksBXl8k

Yeah, don't ask me. I'n my world I'm still sleeping.

http://aw.my.com/

Tube on

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    W-what?

Huh.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    From the sound of it, it seems to focus more on co-op/pve than WOT does. Previews should be incoming today as they had a playable demo.

• Options
    Obsidian Entertainment and My.com, the subsidiary of Mail.Ru Group, the largest Internet company in Russian-speaking countries, today revealed Armored Warfare, a massively multiplayer online tactical military video game. Armored Warfare features stunning next-gen visuals, dynamic destructible environments, customizable vehicles and intense team-based gameplay where players work to crush each other with the power of modern combat vehicles in a free-to-compete experience.

“Armored Warfare gives players two deep levels of upgrading and progression through a huge array of both military vehicles and their own personal military base. Each giving players a diverse and wide-ranging path of strategies,” said Richard Taylor, Project Director of Obsidian Entertainment. “We are incredibly excited to bring Armored Warfare to players around the world, so they can enjoy the strategic and destructive potential of modern fighting vehicles.”

In Armored Warfare, players will take on the role of private military contractors who are called into action throughout a modern virtual world. Overseeing their own personal command base, players will expand, enhance, and customize their headquarters, manage and upgrade their military convoy of vehicles, and train and develop their crews through a robust reputation and experience system. Dynamic environments in Armored Warfare require players to change strategies on the battlefield at a moment’s notice keeping them ever vigilant to the tides of battle.

A variety of team-based tactical and competitive gameplay modes in Armored Warfare will not only test the mettle of players in PvP, but will have them pulling together group strategies in order to overcome grueling player-versus-environment (PvE) scenarios. Players will also be able to join Clans and participate in large scale Territory Wars in the power struggle for world domination. Armored Warfare will continue to be updated and supported for years to come with new weapons, vehicles, base elements, and battle modes.

Armored Warfare will launch into closed beta in 2014 for PC. To learn more about Armored Warfare and to sign up to receive more information and a chance to experience the game in closed beta, visit www.ArmoredWarfare.com. For instant updates, follow the Armored Warfare team on Twitter, like us on Facebook and subscribe to the official YouTube channel where you can watch the Armored Warfare announcement trailer.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Well, that sounds pretty cool.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Interesting.

The PvE scenarios sound pretty fun.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    So it sounds like this game has PvP too, if Territory Wars are what I think they are?

488W936.png
  • Options
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    WoT could do with some competition.

@Sonork

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Rich Taylor spaks
    Thank you for the great suggestions.

1. We are definitely having more than just Main Battle Tanks in the game. I don't know if I'm cleared to talk about our actual vehicles by name yet, so I'm avoiding mentioning names for right now.

2. Artillery will be part of the game. The exact mechanics of its role are still being iterated on.

3. We have talked internally about supporting infantry in the PVE missions because that absolutely feels like something armored vehicles should be engaged in. I will say that we won't have infantry in the game at launch, but it is an idea that we've been talking about and like. We just want to make sure that we do it at a point where we can focus on it to add them right (good models, animations, AI, etc.), so we aren't focusing on the concept right now.
    BTL are pretty awesome. Early on in the project we talked a lot about finding a way for players to be able to control them and still feel engaged in the battle. It felt like players in control of a BLT would move out, place their bridge, and then have nothing else to do for the rest of the match. They'd need to be able to hop into another vehicle to actually participate in the combat, it seems like.

I won't say they will never come along, but for right now, they are not among our launch vehicles.
    The vehicles range from the 1950's to modern. We're also looking at near future technology (next 5 years or so), but we'll be sticking to real, built vehicles for our initial lineups.
    We are focused on vehicles that were built and approved as our first priority. Second priority are vehicles that were used as prototypes, experiments, and other production efforts that never made it past the testing phases. We currently have no plans for blueprint only vehicles. I think blueprint only vehicles can be interesting (I'm probably one of the few that love the T28 Prototype in WoT...). But there's so many vehicles that were actually built from around the world that I'm sure we'll have...

C2B on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    PVE and the meta-game aspects are going to be what makes or breaks this game.

Assuming they can put together a half decent tank sim kind of deal what'll actually draw in players away from War Thunder or WoT is a generous F2P model and making the more unique aspects of the game they're pushing stand out more.

I'm pretty interested, because modern British tanks are pretty hilariously stacked armour wise so that should be fun.

• Options
    From the official website

STEEL AND AMMO
    In Armored Warfare, you will find yourself at the controls of the most modern mechanized destructive machines on the planet. From general purpose combat vehicles, to main battle tanks, and even long-range high-powered artillery, it will be up to you to defeat your enemies and control the battlefield.
    BUILD YOUR PRIVATE MILITARY
    Establish relationships with other corporations, contractors and non-government suppliers to build your private military's arsenal. As you gain more combat experience and fight through more battles and scenarios you'll meet new characters and suppliers who will give you access to newer and even more powerful destructive machines, improved ammunition and other resources.
    COMMAND AND CONTROL
    Armored Warfare isn’t just about putting you in charge of operating, you’ll also be responsible for upgrading and maintaining these vehicles. As you work your way through the fields of battle you will encounter, you’ll gain knowledge and experience that will help you make intelligent choices before each battle and decide what strategies to implement in order to capture victory.
    SEEK AND DESTROY
    True-to-life visuals and destructible environments add a new layer of strategy and complexity across every map and scenario where the face of a battlefield could change at a moments notice. Peek over a ridgeline and snipe your enemies from afar, or rush around a hill and surprise enemies by sneaking behind them when they are distracted. The terrain is all-important for combat strategy, and it’s up to you to use it to its fullest potential. But beware, not all cover is permanent. Destructible environments mean you can’t hide behind a building forever!
    BATTLE FOR SUPREMACY
    The way to victory isn’t always just to destroy all your enemies. Through a variety of team-based cooperative and competitive game modes, you’ll never run out of exciting battles that you and your friends can participate in. These game modes will also affect your strategies and vehicle choices but most of all will test the mettle of players where group strategies must be employed to take on and overcome unique player-versus-environment (PvE) scenarios and other players and teams.
    EVOLVING BATTLEFIELD
    As an online game, Obsidian Entertainment is committed to releasing regular content updates that will enhance your gameplay experience and ensure your continued enjoyment of the game. These ongoing content updates will include everything from new components and Tanks to entirely new gameplay modes and base expansions. New weapons for tanks will become available, changing the playing field in small or large ways, and challenging you to make the most of new combat situations.

Moar Rich Taylor

About barrels interacting with the environment.

Good question.

Early on in development, barrels and turrets would collide with the environment just like you would expect in reality.

In practice, it made for very frustrating gameplay for the few months that we had it working that way so at this time, barrels and protruding turrets don't collide with the environment. Getting the barrel jammed against every last rock and wall you drove near made the controls feel really buggy. It didn't just affect where you could turn your turret, it also caused issues in where you could drive or orient your vehicle without moving your turret first, which was a clunky process.

It's something that seems like a good idea for what it'd add to realism, but the impact it has on playing was very negative. I guess we could go for ultra real and have people sheer their barrels off for turning their turrets into rocks, but I don't think that'd be too fun either. :)

We could put it in as a option, in theory, but that would just make the game very hard for people who turned it on in pursuit of reality, which I don't think would be very fun for them if everyone else wasn't likewise affected.

• Options
    There will be no Pay-to-Win. Sleep easy!

We'll have Premium vehicles, but they won't be superior to anything else on the battlefield. And since I answered 2/4, I'll also add on yes, Premium accounts will also exist.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    MWO does pay-for vehicles that aren't pay-to-win well, so it can certainly be done!

• Options
    edited March 2014
    So, there seems to be a decent amount of interest in Armored Warfare.

~25'000 forum users/potential beta sign-ups in less than a week. Maybe more.

Edit: Scratch that, that number is going way higher.

C2B on
  • Options
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    'are there gonna be a ton of tanks?'

'yeah there's gonna be a ton of tanks'

so, is this basically world of tanks with more meta-game stuff?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    'are there gonna be a ton of tanks?'

'yeah there's gonna be a ton of tanks'

so, is this basically world of tanks with more meta-game stuff?

There are gonna be tanks in a tank game.

What a surprise.

But, yeah. It's going to be World of Tanks with a focus on PVE, modern tanks. different/more complex progression, more strategical considerations and so on.

The game itself will probably be closest to WOT at release. Long-time they seem to have a quite different focus/ideals than the WOT team.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/armored-warfare-hands-on-obsidian-brings-storytelling-to-tank-combat/
    “We want the PvE mode to be a completely valid way of playing the game,” Obsidian designer Aidan Karabaich said. “It’s not like, oh, well, you play this first, and then you graduate to PvP. If you want to only play PvE, our goal is to have that be a very satisfying experience with full progression available in it.”

C2B on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Matt Festa (Lead Systems Designer/PVP Lead) talking about research.

Smoothboar wrote:
    Welcome, Armored Warfare forums!

dt2z.jpg

I was pleased this morning to see that the AW team here at Obsidian finally got the book cart we've been requesting so I snapped a photo of a few of our reference books to post for you forum-goers. It was unpleasant to have to haul huge stacks of books back and forth from our offices to the conference room each we have a vehicle research meeting.

Since we first started working on Armored Warfare back in the dark ages, the team has been firmly committed to creating the most realistic vehicles that we possibly can, in terms of the visual elements, the parts and equipment, and the armor configuration. Obviously there are limits to what we can learn about the most modern vehicles due to the security concerns of the manufacturers and nations which have these vehicles in service, but one big upside when creating vehicles for a game like AW is that we can continue to improve the fine details and mechanics as we learn more about the real world analogues.

While I'm sure many of you are hungry for information about the AW vehicle tree, we can't release too many details just yet. What I can say is that we've spent countless hours scouring our resources and iterating on the vehicle tree - we know how important it is to get it right for our players. While we will be starting out with a large set of mostly well-known armored vehicles, we've also got plans for some very unique and less common vehicles from countries and manufacturers around the globe. Our current plan will take us out for quite a long period of time post-launch, and in some ways we're still only scratching the surface of what's out there.

Finally, I also wanted to say that the design team on AW has enjoyed reading many of your posts. We take the suggestions and opinions of our community seriously and appreciate your passion for our game. We're quite busy with development at the moment, so unfortunately it will be difficult to comment in most threads, but know that we keep an eye on the things going on in here. In particular, I have recently really enjoyed the threads with suggested vehicle progression schemes like Bauris' possible tank tree and British tank tree posts, as well as Paps_Lv's USA Tank Line post. It's very interesting to see how the community imagines the vehicle progression might end up. All the vehicles suggestion posts are pretty neat too - let's just say we're excited about a lot of the same stuff that you folks are. :)

See you on the battlefield!

C2B on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Colour me interested. World of Tanks is largely a bag of shit, and War Thunder is fun but definitely flawed. Both of which suffer from Eastern European raw stubbornness that can make dealing with them really frustrating. A third game being done by western devs set in a time period the other two don't touch should make for a really great contrast and hopefully finally provide us with a vehicle combat game that really delivers.

A sim-lite/full sim game that also delivers a solid PVE experience will easily do well since it'll be the only one out there delivering that sort of experience and will help attract a lot of players that would otherwise have ignored the game. It'll also help with player retention as it'll give people something to do when they get tired of the chucklefuck PUGs. If they plan on going beyond tanks and even doing air warfare then all hail our new metal carnage overlords.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Mostly interested in which elements are going to be simmy and which are going to be arcade.

That and the PVE as well as business model need to be half decent otherwise suspect just sticking with existing games is gonna be easier.

• Options
    FX Demo

• Options
    Interesting that they're already showing not tanks on the battlefield.

I'm absolutely down for driving a jeep with ATGM's strapped to it.

• Options
    Pics from GDC

1669611_10152053308046593_791736842_o.jpg
    1399658_10152053308036593_1191857462_o.jpg
    1890492_10152053303651593_740019317_o.jpg
    10155171_10152053303586593_937975987_n.jpg
    1978332_10152053303616593_1741407815_o.jpg
    1234509_10152053303681593_1005040432_n.jpg
    680483_10152053303786593_744046379_o.jpg
    1399658_10152053308026593_422570908_o.jpg

• Options
    Wow, this is a rather hot issue. But I'm the guy who made the armor mesh maps, so I will let you know something happy.

Any spot on a vehicle that, if shot, should not result in affecting the integrity of the vehicle or it's ability to operate/affect the crew and other internal components (What you'd call HP damage/What makes it explode), doesn't. In some cases they are components with other functions, others aesthetics. Jutting out machinegun blocks, or protruding random electronics from the top, or a particularly large ventilation system for the engine on the top or side. They won't hurt the tank, regardless of the iteration. Sometimes if you shoot directly into them the armor might be weaker behind, however, like a gunner's sight on an MBT.

It is possible to shoot things on the tank that don't cause it any harm, and nothing else. The goal is to provide good feedback on this, and not make it seem like there will be 'ghost shells' that pass through and do nothing. And there will never be an instance where you hit something useless that has a hit mesh and it claims you penetrated. If that's all you hit, it will tell you that it was ineffective so you can adjust where you shoot or what position you fire from.

Don't weasel me for more information than what I said, like 'is it HP or not?!'. Anything I left out was intentional.

External modules might hide weak points beneath them, but just shoot them and nothing else and it won't damage the vehicle (But it will damage the module). They will act like spaced armor and shots will go through, so if you fire a super high pen shell at a tank and hit an external module unluckily, it won't just devour the shell. It'll pass through and hit the turret also, potentially. (As in the arc of your shot would have otherwise hit.)

• Options
    http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/03/anatomy-tank-obsidian-entertainment-creating-detailed-tanks-game/
    These design nuances sound like they’re in line with your desire to recreate these tanks as realistically as possible. How do these latent stats fit into that mold?

Yeah, so, like I mentioned before about taking damage, the damage you receive is filtered through not only those ten stats you see, but about 40 or 42 stats total. It takes into consideration the architecture of the tank. If you can damage their treads, for example, you can prevent them from moving. If you can get behind someone, you can shoot a round right into the vent in the front and totally mess up the gears and such inside.

• Options
    That last article is rubbing me in all the right places.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    If they can avoid the sins of WOT I'll be a happy camper. The main thing they should ensure is that progression is actually fun and rewarding. My first few months with WOT were a blast. Lower to mid tier battles can be exciting once you know what you're doing. All that fun disappeared the moment I broke into the higher tiers. Unlocking a new tank should be an achievement that feels good and the goddamned thing should be useful right outside the box.

They should also try and avoid the idiotic design decisions plaguing War Thunder. Make the game modes fun and don't throw players into situations that make their vehicle of choice worthless. Specifically, I'm talking about the stupidity of domination (it's seriously the dumbest gameplay mode I've seen in while) and bombers not always being needed/having the right loadout on historical missions because you don't know what map you'll be playing before the game starts.

So far what I'm hearing sounds good. Lets hope Obsidian can deliver.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    What's Coming Up
    Hey forums!

I fully understand everyone's eager for more information, videos, and screenshots of the game in progress. Internally, the team is working hard at getting the game ready for Private Alpha Testing. But we're also working on materials to share with everyone who's interested in learning more about what's going into the game. I wish we were far enough along that we could discuss everything more openly, but some subjects are big enough that we don't want to just throw out random pieces of information about them. Instead, we want to present various major facets of the game in a comprehensive package of new information so that you can take it all in at once.

There are two subjects that will be revealed in the near future that will open up more aspects of the game that we can discuss more openly.

Environments/Map Types - We're currently working on materials for a video that shows off some of what is going on with our maps, props, environment types, etc. This video will showcase destruction, events that play out in maps, different weather conditions that will be found in the maps, as well as a reveal about the time of day and what it means for game mechanics.

Main Battle Tank Gameplay - We will be releasing new screenshots showing a few modern MBTs with some examples of visual changes they will undergo as you upgrade the armor options available to them.

In addition, we will begin releasing Dev Diaries in the near future. We are building the schedule of topics for these right now

In the meantime, I'll take some time this evening to answer some questions about Armored Warfare. If good questions are offered in response to this thread, I'll tackle them here. But I'll also try to get to some of the posts that catch my eye in the rest of the forums as well.

We're really looking forward to when we can share more about the game. Believe me, we're not holding back because we don't want to talk about it. :)

• Options
    RedFox wrote:
    coRpSE wrote:
    I have a couple of questions.
    • With this game, are you looking at keeping it more of a realistic side or are you going to go with a overly arcade feel to the game. I might show a bit of my age here, but are you looking at having this game similar to "Tank Platoon" with the only views really being the gunner, driver, loader, and the commander, or are you looking to have this like WoT and the others where you will have a "floating camera" in a sense, 3rd person view?
    • Are you guys looking at having SPG's in the game, if so, have you guys decided to go with a satellite view so you see over the battlefield, or have you guys looked at alternative views to work with. Example; In a game called Return to Castle Wolfentstein: Enemy Territory, they had mortars as a weapon to be used, and with that, if you were going to fire your mortar, you had to do all the adjustments like in real life, or, you could go to map mode, and target that way and if a team member marked the location or spotted a enemy, a dot would show and you would fire on that. Once fired, you could go into the view of the shell to see where you hit and if you hit anyone, but that was only after you fired.
    • Are you looking to have bullet drop, (shell drop), in this game?
    • Will there be secondary weapons, or will you only be restricted to your main battle cannon?
    • Will there be crews on the tanks? If so, will they have skills that can be learned over time?
    • I know you guys have mentioned having Co-Op mode and I am guessing this will be somewhat a arcade style game, if that's the case, have you guys any plans to do a tactical realism, or a realistic mode?
    • Are you guys looking at having a built in clan/guild system in the game or are you guys going to look at that being handled by the clans them selves?
    • With the full launch of the game, will you guys have a API of player stats and player information so outside coding groups can create web based scripts and possibly plugins that would show player info.
    • Will you be looking at having any type of clan wars with the game.
    • Will you guys allow any modifications to the game like mods, (scope skins, tanks skins, ect...), or will you keep that default to keep everyone on a level playing ground with the same look as the others.
    • Will you guys release some sort of press release pack later on when the game gets further developed for people that like to set up like wiki sites or clans that like to have clean images to go with their content on their clans site, like game logos and what not.
    • Last question, (for now), Do you guys have high power lines going through Weasel's office, or does Weasel drink too much energy drinks? ;-) lol, j/k.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions. I am sure allot of us are hoping for this product to be a success.
    Good questions. Let me see what I can do with them before I get busy with work for today. :)
    • The standard mode of the game will not skew toward the simulator side of things. There will be the 3rd person view/1st person view toggle, controls will be straight forward with no manual gear shifting, etc. Overall, it is intended to be approachable by veterans and newcomers to the genre both. Expanding on modes is something that will be explored once we get the standard mode in a good place.
    • We are going to have SPGs. Their exact mechanics are something we are experimenting with currently. We have discussed the CW:ET approach to indirect fire aiming, among other approaches seen in other games, but nothing is finalized right now.
    • There will be shell drop.
    • There will be secondary weapons, though limited only to weapons that have any chance against armor. I.e., machine guns won't be usable, but ATGMs, Autocannons, etc., will usually be enabled. We'll give more details about this stuff in the future when we reveal more about core mechanics.
    • There will be crews and they will have stats and skills. We'll do a full reveal of the crew system once it's a bit further along in implementation.
    • Co-Op mode will be somewhat in the arcade style with respawns at major check points and a few other mechanics for the sake of gameplay. But one thing to be certain on is that once we get the standard modes in a good place, we are eager to experiment with all kinds of other ideas to see how they feel.
    • There will be a built in Clan system.
    • The stats API might not be up right at launch, but it is definitely planned for.
    • We'll reveal more about end game/late game features in the future.
    • Tentatively, mods will not be allowed at launch. I touched on this issue in greater detail in the suggestions forum.
    • There will definitely be a press release pack.
    • There might not be a scientific explanation for Weasel.

• Options
    RedFox wrote:
    Inane_Dork wrote:
    Of course I have loads of questions, but I'll try to stick with ones you can publicly answer.
    1. You showed the game at GDC this year. Did you get any interesting or useful feedback from the media?
    2. When do you expect you'll have another larger reveal?
    3. Without saying why, which game system (e.g., vision/spotting) are you most excited about right now?
    4. What are the top 3 selling points of the game?
    5. Can you talk about Obsidian's approach to balance and historicity? It's nice when they coincide, but what about when they don't?
    6. Is a goal with AW to make it approachable for non-enthusiasts of tanks?
    7. If your competition is any indication, you will have tankers of all skill levels. Is the plan to have different things all of them will find interesting and fun?
    If you can find the time to answer, that'd be awesome. Either way, thanks for your time.
    • The press we interacted with at GDC were fun to talk to. While I had expected the Co-Op side of AW to garner attention, I'll admit I was surprised at how genuinely excited the press were about that aspect.
    • There's a few videos being worked on right now but I don't have ETAs for their completion dates on me.
    • I'm most excited about the armor mechanics, especially in terms of add-on armor and what it means for gameplay choices.
    • Top 3 selling points? Hm... well, I've never been very good at marketing, but for me, I would say: it's going to be fun to play, it's going to look good, and it's going to showcase some really awesome modern armored vehicles.
    • For me, the key to balance verses historical accuracy is that when it comes to hard stats, like projectile velocity and caliber, armor thickness, size of the vehicle, power to weight ratios, etc., we need to be as accurate as we possibly can. Balancing can be focused on areas that don't really come out of a technical manual, like how much damage a shell does to a target and other aspects that have to be quantified in terms of game mechanics.
    • We want the game to be approachable without dumbing things down. We feel one way to handle this is to be informative to players about what the stats of their vehicles are and what the game mechanics are. We aim to communicate this information through a clear user interface and good feedback for players. The mechanics themselves can be complex as long as they're presented and explained in a way that is approachable. AW should be approachable for players who enjoy team-based strategic PVP as well as players who just like blowing things up with cannons (that's what Co-Op is for :)). Being a tank enthusiast should just make it even better.
    • We want the game to be fun for players of all skill ranges. We feel part of meeting this goal will be to provide Co-Op content aimed at players who enjoy the chance to collect and control armored vehicles but who might not find the intensity of PVP to be to their liking.
    RedFox wrote:
    Thanks for all the info! :-)

Will there be something like "Premium Ammo"? (please tell me there won't, it is one of the worst things about that "other tank game")

Edit: ...oh, and if possible please tell us a little more about the game modes and different roles for various classes of vehicles :-)
    There will not be Premium Ammo. There will be a range of ammo available for each vehicle based on the time period of the vehicle and the ammunition its cannons actually fired. Different shells will cost different amounts of credits while offering different advantages and disadvantages.

• Options
    Ammo costing in game credits is a pretty big red-flag for me.

Sure it might not be as explicit as gold ammo but if there's a shell that functions better but costs more it's basically saying 'be at a disadvantage or slow down your progress on our treadmill'.

• Options

Sure it might not be as explicit as gold ammo but if there's a shell that functions better but costs more it's basically saying 'be at a disadvantage or slow down your progress on our treadmill'.

Hopefully they get the advantages and disadvantages part right.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »

Hopefully they get the advantages and disadvantages part right.

Now I'm trying to remember what exactly the trade-offs are between APFSDS and HEAT rounds.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Well the way Wargame models the difference is that HEAT has a flat AP value while KE firing tanks tend to have slightly lower AP but it varies based on range so close up it'll murder tanks.

Not sure how close that is to reality but it seems like a pretty good trade off gameplay wise.

• Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    Well the way Wargame models the difference is that HEAT has a flat AP value while KE firing tanks tend to have slightly lower AP but it varies based on range so close up it'll murder tanks.

Not sure how close that is to reality but it seems like a pretty good trade off gameplay wise.

Also, HEAT is almost completely negated by spaced armor. This is the reason that the abrams tanks you see in Iraq had those fences welded to them. The RPGs (which were HEAT wareheads) would detonate on the fence, and since the 'nozzle' of the round wasn't flush with the tank's hull the jet of plasma wouldn't be focused enough to cut through the armor.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Lowlander wrote: »

Also, HEAT is almost completely negated by spaced armor. This is the reason that the abrams tanks you see in Iraq had those fences welded to them. The RPGs (which were HEAT wareheads) would detonate on the fence, and since the 'nozzle' of the round wasn't flush with the tank's hull the jet of plasma wouldn't be focused enough to cut through the armor.

Ah, right, whereas kinetic rounds just shrug it off, since it barely depletes their momentum.

Trying to recall whether reactive armor helps against them - I know it's effective for blocking a HEAT round too, but not so sure on the solids.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

A lot of these kinds of games make players pay for ammo and repairs so I'm not too concerned. Hell, "no premium ammo, ammo costs credits" is a phrase that also describes War Thunder and I've never even noticed the price of reloads in that game.

wWuzwvJ.png