As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE Online] Multiplayer Treachery Engine - Citadel Patch (April 2016)

• Options
    EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    The Baltecfleet one is about 800m and gets fully reimbursed (minus the four days of training, of course), should you manage to lose it. If you're doing small gang stuff, a Huginn or Rapier is nearly as effective for under a quarter of the cost.

• Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    That's a lot of isk to counter a 100MN cruiser, or other FW kiting craziness.

I realize that the best answer is "Decline to disingage", but I keep hoping there is a better solution.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Drones?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Lochiel wrote: »
    That's a lot of isk to counter a 100MN cruiser, or other FW kiting craziness.

I realize that the best answer is "Decline to disingage", but I keep hoping there is a better solution.

There's probably a cheaper counter, I just can't propose a specific one without knowing which specific ships/fits you're talking about.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    the answer to all problems is titan drop.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    CorvoCorvo Registered User new member
    This is all helpful and interesting... well most of it; just joined Eve and a buddy tipped me off that this was a pretty tight EVE community. Haven't been on Penny Arcade since my feet didn't touch the ground while sitting in my computer chair and I had a DSL modem, but glad I found this now.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    SPY!
    Hail Hydra!

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    smells spyish to me

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Obvious spy, but also a terrible spy. That post has (accidentally?) given me lots of information for the mandatory background check / probing.

Ellthiteren on
  • Options
    I never got probed. v.v

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I got myself another month, I want to try self sufficiency before I bother people with rejoining Merch, honestly I probably dont have the time for merch right now

for now, I'M going to learn to fly the Algos in ways that don't get me fucked rearly

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Man, someone's got a fit to the gills abaddon up on contracts and I'm seriously tempted to buy it at 300 mil. So is contract scamming still a thing I need to be looking out for?

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    I got myself another month, I want to try self sufficiency before I bother people with rejoining Merch, honestly I probably dont have the time for merch right now

for now, I'M going to learn to fly the Algos in ways that don't get me fucked rearly

Self-sufficiency is waaaay easier out here.

(says the guy who logs in for 20 minutes 3 times a week and could plex like 5 accounts)

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    scamming still a thing I need to be looking out for?

No. All scamming has been elimenated from the game, and even lying about things on non-offical forums can get you banned.

Ship in a bottle contracts are a big thing in FW space, alliance trade hubs and deployments. There can still be shit contracts, so buyer beware. But being able to join a fleet, see what they need, buy it off contract, and sorting out what the fuck you're flying and how to fly it /while in warp to the bridging titan/... it's a pretty cool thing :D. Always check ammo before undocking. That seems to be the most forgotten thing.

And, if you've got the time and are shaving isk, buy the parts and put it together yourself. Ship in a Bottle contracts definantly charge you for the convience.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Oh hello, you must be new to EVE!
    So is contract scamming still a thing I need to be looking out for?

• Options
    onesixty2onesixty2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

I'd say use your month to learn the real side of the game that we live in. Null is nothing like hisec life. NPC corps are nothing like Merch / gsf / cfc.

Hisec is not easier, or more lucrative than living in null more often than not. How do you make money, running missions? We don't have missions in Deklein, but we do have a large number of people ratting and leaving plenty of wrecks behind that need looting / salvaging. You'll make decent money doing this until you can train into a drone ratting ship (vexor navy issue) or you can begin scamming people as a day 1 newbie. Seriously, people fall for this shit. Just do not tell them you are an alt.

If you go out for fleet ops and die, the alliance AND corp reimburse you. It's nearly impossible to lose isk for dying on ops. It's also the best time to be a newbee in GSF, as there are doctrines with put you in more than just tackle very early on. You'll get a taste of ewar, tackle, logi, and ecm.

There isn't a huge time requirement to joining Merch, either. It's a 'if you are around, and want to do something, do something.' You won't be told to log in, or that you have to do something if you aren't able / interested. All we ask is you join Jabber, and always ask questions when you have them.
    Just a tip, you'll fit it right in.

onesixty2 on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

No. All scamming has been elimenated from the game, and even lying about things on non-offical forums can get you banned.

Good sir, I wish to invest in your colloidal silver therapy plan!

• Options
    onesixty2 wrote: »
    Just the tip, it'll fit it right in.

FTFY

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    So is contract scamming still a thing I need to be looking out for?

Nah, just been away a long ass time, so I wanted to be sure there weren't big forward advances in the land of scamming I didn't know about, some cursory google research says nope. I'm kind of amazed people still do the "give me money and I'll send you double back!" scam, though I guess I should be more amazed that it still works.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    RanaVexRanaVex Registered User regular

This nice man in Jita offers me this pretty good deal in chat, I really think it will be nice to buy some plexes from this good sir !

i24ljphx1z1q.jpg
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Just the tip, it'll fit it right in.

FTFY

That's why he's using an Algos instead of, say, a Thorax.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    So I've been vaguely considering resubbing, but I have no clue if I'd actually manage to do anything or if it would just be skill training simulator 2014. Before I unsubbed, I think I was pubbing it up in hisec running missions or some such.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    I've been in null before but it turned into ship spinning pretty quickly. When I have someone to blow shit up for me I made mad cash, but most of the time I just span.

I think spending a week or so in high and low will be good for me

• Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    unsubbed pubbing hisec missions

These things do tend to be associated with each other.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular

Undoubtedly, but I sorta lacked the drive to reapply to MerchI and ship my ass back out to wherever we'd been living at the time. Where are we living these days, anyway? And a related question, what are the local rats weak against?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    Yeah fuck it I'll rejoin up and ship out to you guys.

What are the rules for rejoining? should I just throw an app in?

• Options
    onesixty2onesixty2 Registered User regular

Undoubtedly, but I sorta lacked the drive to reapply to MerchI and ship my ass back out to wherever we'd been living at the time. Where are we living these days, anyway? And a related question, what are the local rats weak against?

We've lived out of deklein for several years now, plenty of newbie / doctrine ships on contract, and *economicpersonas* like myself often import most doctrine ships to be at cost (you get paid to die via reimbursements).

They're weak against Wasp IIs or Caldari Navy Wasps until you are fully trained. Not kidding. An Ishtar Heavy Drone ratting is King of the North.

• Options
    Yeah fuck it I'll rejoin up and ship out to you guys.

What are the rules for rejoining? should I just throw an app in?

If you've been in MRCHI before, you can just reapply, follow the instructions here: http://forums.merchindustrial.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8275

Otherwise post in the recruitment thread with your EVE character's name so we know who you are, and then apply in-game and state your PA forum name in your application: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/171557/eve-online-a-space-empire-of-tyranny-and-dick-jokes

• Options

We've lived out of deklein for several years now, plenty of newbie / doctrine ships on contract, and *economicpersonas* like myself often import most doctrine ships to be at cost (you get paid to die via reimbursements).

They're weak against Wasp IIs or Caldari Navy Wasps until you are fully trained. Not kidding. An Ishtar Heavy Drone ratting is King of the North.

Drones, eh? I'm not entirely unskilled in those. Can't say the same for Gallente ships, mind, but it's a start. Think I'll get muh client updating while I'm at work and go from there, plop down a month and see if I can manage to be interested long enough to actually do stuff.

• Options
    So I've been vaguely considering resubbing, but I have no clue if I'd actually manage to do anything or if it would just be skill training simulator 2014. Before I unsubbed, I think I was pubbing it up in hisec running missions or some such.

It's OK to run missions as a low-attention way to make ISK (or rather, to generate capital for ways to make ISK), but doing so isn't an end in itself. Because missions are insanely dull.

So I guess your first step is to decide on some non intrinsically boring goal or plan of action, then resub. Then starting carrying out that plan.

• Options
    Huh, interesting, the geddon got changed from a laser boat to a drone and vamp boat while I was away?

• Options
    Yup, it's pretty ridiculous if you can get anyone to bother engaging it.

• Options
    CorvoCorvo Registered User new member
    Just bought my first incursus, want to get skilled up to PvP in it - recommendations on loudouts?
    -

• Options
    DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    I didn't create this.

Highs
    3x Light Ion Blaster

Mids
    1x 1MN Microwarpdrive
    1x Stasis Webifier
    1x Warp Disruptor (20km)

Lows
    2x Nanofiber Internal Structure

Drones
    1x Warrior

Can hit well over 2700 m/s with decent skills. Approach target, turn on your Warp Disruptor at 20km, turn on the web at 10km, turn off the MWD and orbit at 500m, blast away. Just be wary of smartbombs, but you should find those rarely if at all in fleet battles.

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • Options
    I lodged my application a couple days back, but today some other dudes blew me up, liked my can do attitude and let me join up with them. So now I'm lowsec PvPing apparently in a 30 strong corp.

Heck yeah!

I need income pretty badly though. Also, My only decent ships will just have to deal and sit around in VFK for the foreseeable future

• Options
    Since you're in lo-sec, you might want to be aware that lo-sec belt ratting is a thing now. Ask your corpies about sec tags.

Oh and maybe start to look at doing plexes.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Yeah I think my pace of learning is about to skyrocket.

There isn't much in the way of high value rats around, so I think my biggest ship will likely be a destroyer for the time being, though right now I'm beggared so it's just a tristan with no guns and a hold of hobgob 2s

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Belt rats are weak and dumb. They're best killed at your experience level by kiting. Most lo-sec belt rats are also as you say not worth so much. The way to do it is to bounce though the belts as quickly as possible looking for faction rats, and the special rats that drop the sec status tags.

The solo belt ratting ship of choice is a stealth bomber. Their effectiveness is very closely tied to their racial damage type though, so if you work towards bombers (pro-tip: it's the same ship skill as covops which you use for finding plexes) make sure to match your racial frigate skill upon which your bomber depends to the rat type:

Caldari Frigate: Guristas, Serpentis, Angels
    Gallente Frigate: Serpentis, Blood Raiders, Sansha, Guristas
    Amarr Frigate: Sansha, Bloods, Serps
    Minmatar Frigate: Angels

The good thing about training towards a stealth bomber is that you're only a Rank 2 skill away from any other stealth bomber, so they're a great cross-training platform. They're also tolerant of not-all-V missile skills.

• Options
    I think they've deliniated between the race frigates unfortunately, give me 3 minutes and I can shove my foot into my mouth for saying that.

Thanks for the tips though