As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE Online] Multiplayer Treachery Engine - Citadel Patch (April 2016)

1818283848587»

• Options
    DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    Xantus wrote: »
    it doesnt seem surprising that a game which is such a stupendous time-sink... will inevitably lead to stagnation. the world is a very different place compared to when EVE first launched.
    the amount of people who actually wanna sit down and devote time to this crazy BS (and pay well for the opportunity) is naturally an ever dwindling sample set.

those who remain just grow more crazy and psychotic. a toxic spying environment that in no way has the same allure as it did closer to game launch.
    like sure there are still pockets of people in corps who are having fun and doing their own thing, but they are surrounded by mountains of psycho-alts and cockroaches.
    it's just not a compelling proposition for... anyone, really. new or old.

pretty sure CCP's actual plan is just to milk everyone who remains for whatever they are worth before the project finally melts down.

This reminded me to cancel my 6 month sub renewal. In the "why" field I basically just pasted in your post.

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    extracted my main character today and as I was doing all the prep work for it, it popped into my head that it has been almost exactly 1 year since they showed us a screenshot of heraldry mods for ships that changed the hull appearance and added other visual effects and since then it has never once been mentioned again and it took us most of that 12 months just to get alliance logos (after a ridiculous highsec grind)

i thought no, surely it can't have been an *entire year* but alas, it was

if anyone wants to buy a solid rev pilot I'll sell it for reasonable isk but otherwise probably extracting it in the next 72 hours

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I've avoided extracting because I refuse to pay CCP several hundred pounds to quit

• Options
    only reason i managed it is because I had enough isk to buy the on-sale "starter" packs which conveniently include just enough omega time to empty everything out

the main is gone and my alts will probably be done when I have time this week

i put it all in commodities and sent a few LSI's to a fresh alt to create a minimally viable character if I ever decide to dive back in on the distant future

marauders killed the game for me. i get that they used to suck and there was an imperative to get them back into the mix but they way overdid it and it completely destroyed so much of what I did in eve... and its been a year and there's no indication its ever going away *sigh*

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Man, I got stung on a 6-month re-up that I had no idea was enabled . Feels bad man

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Yeah I finally completely shut off my sub. I reupped for both recent conflicts with the full intent of playing and going on fleets, but could never muster the will to actually log in.

We've finally won folks :)

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • Options
    I lasted until the last Great War, fought against 3:1 odds for a year, and saw my friends prevail. I got my story. I violenced boats. I posted some junk, and even got one last article published.

VANIS still let me stink up their discord, so I can keep in touch with my friends and we talk about old times and food and bitch about our jobs. I got my time and money's worth. I feel no need to invest more.

• Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    but you guyyys, EVE only turns 20 once!

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Guys you can't just quit! Now is the time to go out in a blaze of glory so I can read all about it in Empires of EVE Volume 3! Do something crazy! Go nuts!

• Options
    So... T2 Dreads?

N9pjfAk.png
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Xantus wrote: »
    pretty sure CCP's actual plan is just to milk everyone who remains for whatever they are worth before the project finally melts down.

If CCP thought like that, wouldn't they have stopped development and started milking it 10-15 years ago?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Who’s gonna tell him?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    oof, sounds like maybe I shouldn't have started getting back into this :/

• Options
    its not a terrible game. but its important to know what you're getting into these days.

IMO there's two types of players that EVE invites...

If you want a social experience and to collect pretty spaceships and be lead around once or twice a month for "content" then this is your game

If you want to divorce your pets and hide your wife and crack out 100 hours a week/$100 a month in sub fees and nolife EVE... there's still plenty to do provided you can make that kind of commitment

there's really no inbetween and the devs dont seem overly concerned with that. they love the first player and they tolerate the second player.

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    marauders killed the game for me. i get that they used to suck and there was an imperative to get them back into the mix but they way overdid it and it completely destroyed so much of what I did in eve... and its been a year and there's no indication its ever going away *sigh*

marauder nerfs were leaked today on accident prior to the "expansion" update....

literally the only thing that could get me to play eve online again.... they might actually do it

also T2 dread prices in the leak math out to 15b lol

• Options
    Are those T2 dreads the XL Hictor thing they were gonna go with?

• Options
    yeah they hic and have.... aoe lance? or something? afaik they are releasing exactly as presented except they made them unable to cloak with the lance on

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    My thoughts here are based entirely on what the game was like last time I played seriously, so this may be way out of date...

Aren't those just going to be deleted if they show up anywhere? The last few super fights I was in, where you'd want an XL HIC to lock down titans or whatever, there were so many supercarriers on the field that anything short of another super got deleted as soon as the fighters toddled on over to whatever it was you wanted dead. Even with HIC style resists, a few Nyx's are going to monch through those things like your average Goon eating a donut.

I guess there are some medium size conflict uses for them, but a T2 capital seems very expensive for anything short of bloc fights.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    there's a lot of utility in midscale, the meta right now is amulet armor battleships + fax support sitting on tether range

this is a really trolly strat because the defender can just sit on the station with a very secure setup, and as soon as you try to escalate on them they can just tether up, mitigate their losses, and decide if they want to counter-drop

the T2 dread forces a full commit of the subcap forces (which doesn't sound like a big deal but your average lowsec armor BS prices in at nearly 2b, often more, which is as much as dreads used to cost several years ago)

this also applies to carrier bashing... same thing.. you just put your entire carrier fleet on an astra and as soon as a hostile cyno sparks you recall your fighters... worse case you lose 2 carriers? now you potentially lose them all.

also the more dominant lowsec groups supplement their dread bomb with a light dusting of supers which are very challenging to counter in lowsec.. it takes a lot of skill and preparation to get tackle on a well flown lowsec super and keep it alive... this should give people a tool to help address that (in theory)

the conundrum though is that there's basically like... 4.5 active lowsec entities anymore? and as per usual they're all blued up so really there's only two. so this ship has a use that only a handful of people should even care about

that's the good news, the bad news is since it can hit things in warp and AND it prevents gate jumps all without targeting it will probably be most commonly used to gate camp choke points in all regions of space, and will pretty much choke what little life was left out of common lowsec routes

good idea, bad execution... business as usual

• Options
    Someone should make a Law

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    there's a lot of utility in midscale, the meta right now is amulet armor battleships + fax support sitting on tether range

this is a really trolly strat because the defender can just sit on the station with a very secure setup, and as soon as you try to escalate on them they can just tether up, mitigate their losses, and decide if they want to counter-drop

the T2 dread forces a full commit of the subcap forces (which doesn't sound like a big deal but your average lowsec armor BS prices in at nearly 2b, often more, which is as much as dreads used to cost several years ago)

this also applies to carrier bashing... same thing.. you just put your entire carrier fleet on an astra and as soon as a hostile cyno sparks you recall your fighters... worse case you lose 2 carriers? now you potentially lose them all.

also the more dominant lowsec groups supplement their dread bomb with a light dusting of supers which are very challenging to counter in lowsec.. it takes a lot of skill and preparation to get tackle on a well flown lowsec super and keep it alive... this should give people a tool to help address that (in theory)

the conundrum though is that there's basically like... 4.5 active lowsec entities anymore? and as per usual they're all blued up so really there's only two. so this ship has a use that only a handful of people should even care about

that's the good news, the bad news is since it can hit things in warp and AND it prevents gate jumps all without targeting it will probably be most commonly used to gate camp choke points in all regions of space, and will pretty much choke what little life was left out of common lowsec routes

good idea, bad execution... business as usual

Fair enough. My perspective comes from the very large engagement side of the game, and in that space I still maintain that T2 dreads will probably just get shredded before they caught much of anything outside of a cunning trap situation. Interesting to hear about their usefulness at the more mid sized engagement.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/149gqv4/effective_tomorrow_the_imperium_will_be/

when i quit i moved all my clones out of TTT expecting this would eventually happen

if you have clones in TTT and want them still then I'd use that free 7 days omega they're handing out this week and move them.... very quickly. you probably have a day at most before its reffed

• Options
    AhmneeAhmnee Registered User regular
    Is WANG still a thang? MERCHI anyone?

• Options
    MRCHI still going strong. Hit them up in game and here.

N9pjfAk.png
  • Options
    AhmneeAhmnee Registered User regular
    I am looking to reapply. It's Ohmnee

• Options
    StorkStork Registered User regular
    What happened to the MRCHI forums (and my post count)?!

I've been gone a very long time, not terribly excited to play Eve again but I saw that they announced the PC based Dust replacement and who doesn't like an average FPS in support of space spreadsheets?

• Options
    The original MRCHI forums are gone, it's all the official GSF forums now or the discord.

N9pjfAk.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I haven't played this since my year or two of enjoying being a good worker drone in the PA Subsidiary of Goonswarm circa 2007, but I am 2/3 through this 6 hour comprehensive video essay on the history of Eve and really enjoying it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCSeISYcoyI

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    This video is making me wicked nostalgic for the 2008-2009 MRCHI days, even if y'all and Goons were dicks to me (an overly enthusiastic 13/14 year old kid with under-diagnosed AuDHD) back then for not properly explaining the game's etiquette until I'd already been banned and accused of spying for accidentally posting here in the main forum thread about stuff that should've been posted internally to the MRCHI forums

But once the first Great War against BoB was won and done I kinda stopped paying attention even from a distance and never came back

Sometimes I think about coming back as an adult but, damned if I don't have a life now in a way that'd be multi-hour ops hard

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    On further thought, the more I read about CCP's dysfunctions, the collapse of the Goons/Mittani, and the general stalemate that is nullsec post-2023, maybe I'm truly better off leaving that stone of nostalgia unturned

I'm sure there are spaces in the game where stuff is still dynamic (lowsec and smaller nullsec corps especially) but I'm guessing the Great War nostalgia in particular is not a standard to aim for at all

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    But Mortal Sky, now is the opportune time to infiltrate Goonswarm and take over all of EVE.

YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO

• Options
    they were giving away 7 days free omega for this expansion so I decided to hop in and give it a try, i havent played in about a year and its been 2 years since i've been a play-every-day kind of guy

unfortunately what I thought the FW revamp would cause has happened, which is that its very regularized, very blobby... its good, im happy for the people who are into that, but as a solo player its just one less thing of a very small list that was available to me

not really finding the fun in this trial yet so... oh well maybe next year I guess?

also some of these new ships they've added are just... goddamn... why not just delete T1 cruisers from the game with navy destroyers like these....

• Options
    Because I can quit any time I want, I thought I'd pop in and see how EVE looks on a big 4K screen with a decent GPU

It's looks real fancy. And big.