Options

Art Imitating Life: MIT Student Arrested at Logan Intl. Airport with Fake Bomb...

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    Doc wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Exactly. Submachine guns aren't the most effective way to stop a suicide bomber, but they are incredibly effective at killing stupid kids who may not realize that the average slack-jawed American thinks a breadboard looks like a bomb.

Totally OP, but what is the best way to stop a suicide bomber in a place like an airport, if not a SMG? Because something like a UMP with .45 auto rounds would be tough to beat, I'd have to imagine.

Unless you could sneak up on them with one of those controlled detonation robots, heh.

Maybe have a magician do magic tricks to distract them while security sneaks up behind them with a huge butterfly net?

Use a gigantic magnet to take the bomb from their hands.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    In a hypothetical sense, responding to someone who's suspected of being a suicide bomber with several SMG-armed troopers in a show of force may not be a very sound plan.
    Exactly. Submachine guns aren't the most effective way to stop a suicide bomber, but they are incredibly effective at killing stupid kids who may not realize that the average slack-jawed American thinks a breadboard looks like a bomb.

Are you sure it's not the most effective way? I haven't attended any FBI seminars recently, what should they have done?

Well, for one thing, don't give them a reason to panic and push the button and kill everyone in a 20m radius, including the officers.

Secondly, consider that the "shoot them in the head before they know we're onto them" method is not exactly a viable option for an airport (not to mention a source of bad press in Iraq, Afghanistan and Israel when it turns out they didn't have a bomb).

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I just think between the options of sniper, unarmed negotiator (combined with sniper), or stormtroopers with SMGs in direct assault, the latter is probably the most likely of the three to end in an explosion. But yeah, I'll concede that there's really no good way to deal with this situation.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Drez wrote: »

Totally OP, but what is the best way to stop a suicide bomber in a place like an airport, if not a SMG? Because something like a UMP with .45 auto rounds would be tough to beat, I'd have to imagine.

Unless you could sneak up on them with one of those controlled detonation robots, heh.

Maybe have a magician do magic tricks to distract them while security sneaks up behind them with a huge butterfly net?

Ah, the Wile E. Coyote security company is providing airport service.

Shinto on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Considering that if it is a bomb you need to ensure that they're dead before they can trigger it? I'd go sniper. Shot to the head. But then again, that doesn't work out so well for her either. So I guess there's really no "good" way to react to a dumb kid that doesn't realize her shirt looks (to the grossly uninformed) like a bomb.

oh quit trying to lord yourself over us like you're the only person who knows what a(ll) bomb(s) look like.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    In a hypothetical sense, responding to someone who's suspected of being a suicide bomber with several SMG-armed troopers in a show of force may not be a very sound plan.

Are you sure it's not the most effective way? I haven't attended any FBI seminars recently, what should they have done?

Well, for one thing, don't give them a reason to panic and push the button and kill everyone in a 20m radius, including the officers.

Secondly, considering the "shoot them in the head before they know we're onto them" method is not exactly a viable option for an airport (not to mention a source of bad press in Iraq, Afghanistan and Israel when it turns out they didn't have a bomb).

So you don't actually have an alternative then.

Shinto on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    I just think between the options of sniper, unarmed negotiator (combined with sniper), or stormtroopers with SMGs in direct assault, the latter is probably the most likely of the three to end in an explosion. But yeah, I'll concede that there's really no good way to deal with this situation.
    I don't think it'd be easy to set up a sniper effectively in an airport. Unless like they start designing built in sniping spots which would make me all sorts of uncomfortable.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    must

resist

zombie

suicide airport bomber

apocalypse

derailment

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Secondly, considering the "shoot them in the head before they know we're onto them" method is not exactly a viable option for an airport (not to mention a source of bad press in Iraq, Afghanistan and Israel when it turns out they didn't have a bomb).

I don't have a cure for cancer, but I'm clever enough to tell you not to huff fucking asbestos.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Ah, the Wile E. Coyote security company is providing airport service.

ACME Security. We deliver crates upon crates of success!

Drez on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Considering that if it is a bomb you need to ensure that they're dead before they can trigger it? I'd go sniper. Shot to the head. But then again, that doesn't work out so well for her either. So I guess there's really no "good" way to react to a dumb kid that doesn't realize her shirt looks (to the grossly uninformed) like a bomb.

oh quit trying to lord yourself over us like you're the only person who knows what a(ll) bomb(s) look like.

No, it's more a case of I do know what EE project boards look like. I also do know what most bombs look like...I've seen a variety. I also know what bombs don't generally look like.

I also know that only the world's dumbest terrorist would use solderless breadboard for a bomb.

If you feel like that's "lording over you," well gee whiz I'm sorry.

@Shinto: Gotcha. Never mind, then.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    I don't think it'd be easy to set up a sniper effectively in an airport. Unless like they start designing built in sniping spots which would make me all sorts of uncomfortable.

They can just hand a sniper rifle to everyone in the terminal, then it'd be like a giant real-life HALO game!

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Why? That would be perfect! You can set up spawn points right next to them. And infinite ammo boxes right next to them too. Maybe a red and blue flag, too. Heck, if the airport is big enough, you can even put vehicles at key locations.

edit: Dammit, Irene beat me. Payback for my beating her in [chat].

Drez on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I don't have a cure for cancer, but I'm clever enough to tell you not to huff fucking asbestos.

So your area of expertise is solely concerned with how other people are stupid.

Great. You're making an enormous contribution. If you weren't here we probably couldn't find anyone else like you in the whole internets.

Shinto on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

They can just hand a sniper rifle to everyone in the terminal, then it'd be like a giant real-life HALO game!

*BANG*

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zahaladeen wrote: »
    Oboro wrote: »
    I think that, given she just showed up to meet someone coming off of a flight-- and since he had a ride anyway, seeing as how he managed to leave without seeing her-- it really was probably just an impromptu meet and greet.

She was probably too busy singing along with her iPod while on the subway or stressing over career day to put two and two together about blinking lights in an airport. Also, I think the title of this thread is sort of inappropriate as her defense of it as "art" is pretty inconsequential. Also, calling it a fake bomb, since it wasn't.

It was a fashion statement by an electronics student, who could understandably make this mistake if she hasn't been watching network TV for more than several hours a day.

First, I'm paraphrasing from the news headlines and wire reports. Go bust their balls, not mine.

Second, what exaclty do you call a device that is meant to look like bomb but isn't? What suits your mood better?

Faux bomb?

Counterfit bomb?

Diet bomb?

The un-bomb?

it's not meant to look like a bomb. She's a fucking MIT Elec. Engineering student. The shirt's a damn circtuit board with lights.

It's like an anime fan walking around in a Bleach T-Shirt, or a sci-fi fan in a Battlestar Galactica T-shirt

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited September 2007

No, it's more a case of I do know what EE project boards look like. I also do know what most bombs look like...I've seen a variety. I also know what bombs don't generally look like.

I also know that only the world's dumbest terrorist would use solderless breadboard for a bomb.

They teach you what suicide bombs look like?

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

well ok not 'lording over' I guess (sorry hehe) but still, in a day and age where any and all suspicious devices are suspect in airports accross america, it had to be treated as hostile.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    how many electrinoc devices with batteries attached sticking out of shirts have you seen at the airport?

At the airport? Never. Otherwise? Over a dozen.

I do not believe your experience to be common Doc.

I'll second Doc's experience, but then there was a huge fad for those t-shirts that have LED scrolling displays in the chest not so long ago. They definitely made security in the railway station I worked in a bit jumpy at first.

From my perspective, I don't think it was unreasonable for her to wear the shirt to an airport, particularly because I don't think "it doesn't resemble a bomb" is an unreasonable opinion. From her point of view, it was an awesome t-shirt accessory, and it's not very hard to imagine that it would never occur to her that somebody might mistake it for a bomb. Seriously, how many of you carefully consider if what you're wearing makes you look like a terrorist?

Regarding the response, I don't think the initial response (SWAT) was unreasonable. The Airport security thought it could be a bomb, and acted as such, because that's their job. It reminds me of an incident over here not so long ago when someone flying domestically out of Glasgow had a couple of kilos of lorne sausage in their hold luggage (you can't get it in England, my family often does the same if we're all going to stay with English relatives over Christmas). The thing about Lorne sausage though, is that it comes in a big block, and on an airport X-ray, looks very much like plastic explosive. Huge security alert was triggered, until eventually it was discovered to be harmless, at which point the matter was dropped.

Attempting to charge this woman with a crime for not going about her daily life in a state of constant paranoia beggars belief.

japan on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

So your area of expertise is solely concerned with how other people are stupid.

Great. You're making an enormous contribution. If you weren't here we probably couldn't find anyone else like you in the whole internets.

Aren't I?

But seriously, if there's anything the IDF has learned over the past two decades it's that overwhelming shows of force in relation to suicide bombers just exacerbates the situation.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Why? That would be perfect! You can set up spawn points right next to them. And infinite ammo boxes right next to them too. Maybe a red and blue flag, too. Heck, if the airport is big enough, you can even put vehicles at key locations.

edit: Dammit, Irene beat me. Payback for my beating her in [chat].

Haha, lengthy expounding ftl.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    yes@japan. I'm glad they made a big fuss because that's their job to be paranoid and watch people. Now fucking drop it because it's not illegal to put computer parts on your shirt and be expressive.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Lanz wrote: »
    I think that, given she just showed up to meet someone coming off of a flight-- and since he had a ride anyway, seeing as how he managed to leave without seeing her-- it really was probably just an impromptu meet and greet.

She was probably too busy singing along with her iPod while on the subway or stressing over career day to put two and two together about blinking lights in an airport. Also, I think the title of this thread is sort of inappropriate as her defense of it as "art" is pretty inconsequential. Also, calling it a fake bomb, since it wasn't.

It was a fashion statement by an electronics student, who could understandably make this mistake if she hasn't been watching network TV for more than several hours a day.

First, I'm paraphrasing from the news headlines and wire reports. Go bust their balls, not mine.

Second, what exaclty do you call a device that is meant to look like bomb but isn't? What suits your mood better?

Faux bomb?

Counterfit bomb?

Diet bomb?

The un-bomb?

it's not meant to look like a bomb. She's a fucking MIT Elec. Engineering student. The shirt's a damn circtuit board with lights.

It's like an anime fan walking around in a Bleach T-Shirt, or a sci-fi fan in a Battlestar Galactica T-shirt

Yeah, they all wear them at MIT.

I remember that from when I used to work at a resaurant one block from campus.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Isn't there a rather sizeable block of students who refer to themselves as "the borg"?

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Faux bomb?

Counterfit bomb?

Diet bomb?

The un-bomb?

No, I think it's more like a Bleach fan walking around with a fake sword, but it's not sharp so it's cool. Or a BSG fan walking around with a ray blaster thing, but it's cool 'cause it doesn't shoot real rays.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Cylon shirt with scanning LED eye.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    ZahaladeenZahaladeen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Faux bomb?

Counterfit bomb?

Diet bomb?

The un-bomb?

Your argument hinges on wether or not she walked up to them holding a sign that said in huge letters "HI! I AM A MIT STUDENT AND WHAT I AM WEARING IS FOR CAREER DAY! DO NOT BE AFRAID, ALL IS WELL!" and the law enforcement chappies being able to instantly recognize that it wasn't an IED. Obviously they were not nor did they take any chances.

However, since that didn't happen, I reckon the police responded with what THEY though looked like a bomb, and what they said LOOKED like a bomb, not what I thought looked like a bomb.

Jeebus, Mary, and Joseph. I just repeated the fucking story people. I didn't fucking report it, nor was I a police officer on the scene deciding if it was an IED, bomb, or anything else that starts with "BO-" and ends with "OMB".

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    No, I think it's more like a Bleach fan walking around with a fake sword, but it's not sharp so it's cool. Or a BSG fan walking around with a ray blaster thing, but it's cool 'cause it doesn't shoot real rays.

Except this wasn't designed to look like a weapon. Fail.

Doc on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Faux bomb?

Counterfit bomb?

Diet bomb?

The un-bomb?

What the fuck is wrong with you? If anything it's closer to carrying a portable DVD player or something. It isn't a bomb, it looks nothing like a bomb actually looks like, and it only became an issue because the police were overzealous, and what's happening to her is absolutely ridiculous.

Edit: It seems that your suggesting that speech is protected until the cops say it isn't. That's a rather dangerous position to take.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Your argument hinges on wether or not she walked up to them holding a sign that said in huge letters "HI! I AM A MIT STUDENT AND WHAT I AM WEARING IS FOR CAREER DAY! DO NOT BE AFRAID, ALL IS WELL!"
    Well no, but she did have something like that printed on her shirt.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Your argument hinges on wether or not she walked up to them holding a sign that said in huge letters "HI! I AM A MIT STUDENT AND WHAT I AM WEARING IS FOR CAREER DAY! DO NOT BE AFRAID, ALL IS WELL!"

"Socket to me" And "Course IV" fall somewhat short of communicating that.

Shinto on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Why would she be proud of that thing anyway? It looks like shit.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Faux bomb?

Counterfit bomb?

Diet bomb?

The un-bomb?

What the fuck is wrong with you? If anything it's closer to carrying a portable DVD player or something. It isn't a bomb, it looks nothing like a bomb actually looks like, and it only became an issue because the police were overzealous, and what's happening to her is absolutely ridiculous.

no, it doesn't look like what YOU think a bomb actually looks like. Airport security was looking for suspicious devices (like they always are (because it's their job)), they saw one, they contained the perceived threat. case closed. It doesn't matter what it was or wasn't intended to look like. It only matters that it was a very out of the ordinary electronic device in the middle of an airport.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Ah, I am mistaken, then.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    ZahaladeenZahaladeen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh...my...God...

A link to a picture of the device:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/city_region/breaking_news/2007/09/mit_student_arr.html

How the fuck was that considered a bomb? They made it sound like she had a motherboard, LED's and a fucking block of Play-Doh on her.

Can someone insert the picture of the photo with the cop and the close-up?

Can we also start a discussion on why anyone in MIT would want to style their hair like a DBZ character?

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Ah, I am mistaken, then.

I don't know, "Socket to me" and "Course IV" seem to indicate some kind of course in electrical engineering to me.

Maybe it's just the fact I spent 3 semesters among engineers at VCU before switching my major

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Edit: It seems that your suggesting that speech is protected until the cops say it isn't. That's a rather dangerous position to take.
    Once they figured out it wasn't a bomb it should have been over. If she wants to hold play dough and wear strange electronic devices the government shouldn't stop her. What I'm saying is that an airport has security looking for people who look and/or act suspicious. A blinking device with a battery and exposed wires is suspicious. A portable DVD player is not.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    from the article:
    The employee asked about the plastic circuit board on her chest, and Simpson walked away without responding, Pare said.

if this is true then it sounds like it all could have been avoided.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    no, it doesn't look like what YOU think a bomb actually looks like. Airport security was looking for suspicious devices (like they always are (because it's their job)), they saw one, they contained the perceived threat. case closed. It doesn't matter what it was or wasn't intended to look like. It only matters that it was a very out of the ordinary electronic device in the middle of an airport.

But I think that is the entire point... it only looked like a bomb to security... the girl wasn't thinking "gee, I wonder if this looks like a bomb" and frankly, being an MIT student who works around electronics components all the time, I don't see why she WOULD think that. She wasn't trying to board a plane, she was just picking up a friend.

The simple fact is, you shouldn't be charged with inciting panic or terrorism unless you have some good intent, or a reasonable expectation that your actions would cause such. Frankly, I think maybe a circuit board skates up to that line, but looking at it in context, I can't see how anyone would think that would cross it.

By the way, if Boston overreacts to another fake bomb, is their fourth one free?
    Malkor wrote:
    A blinking device with a battery and exposed wires is suspicious. A portable DVD player is not.

Again, that's from your persepective. Some Luddite might see the thing and call security on your ass. And to some people, a circuit board is just as common as a portable DVD player, and no more threatening.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    oh I completely disagree with the charges .... just not the method of arrest.

Xaquin on