As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Monday Night Mini-[Phalla] Wars: The War was taken to the Extreme!

AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the SpiralRegistered User regular
edited June 2014 in Critical Failures
The Monday Night Phalla Wars

20120508_ecw_logo.jpg

VS.

3jk7sky.png

VS.

WWF-logo-13DC4B59CE-seeklogo.com.gif

Let me take you back in time to the late 90s, generally considered the last time Professional Wrestling was booming. Three major American Companies vied for supremacy in the ratings. Eventually, the WWF, now known as the WWE, would prevail. But, what if the Wrestlers had a say in who actually ended up winning the War? What if a group banded together to ensure their chosen company eliminated their competition.
In the words of Good Old JR, “Good God, almighty, get ready for a slobberknocker and stomp a mudhole in some asses” as we’re about to find out.
What is a Phalla?

Phalla is Penny Arcade's version of the popular party game, Mafia. Bandwagon has a great synopsis of the game in the thread bookmarked at the top of Critical Failures. But, you already knew that. The theme of this game is the Monday Night Wrestling Wars of the late 90s. Knowledge of professional wrestling is not necessary, but might provide some useful background knowledge. Plus, you should watch male soap operas, they’re the best.

This version of Phalla is both a faction game and a battle game. There is NO hidden mafia in this game. However, unlike most faction games, the majority of players can choose between 2 of the 3 factions to win with, representing the real life moving back and forth certain wrestlers did during the wars. True wrestling fans might be able to deduce your alignment, so be careful with your role information. With that said, there are a few “pure” wrestlers who can only win with a certain faction and they will be our specials in this game.

The factions will be equal size, but because I'm experimenting here, I make no promise on the balance. Besides, faction game balance is hard to get right anyways.
The Rules

!Sign up in boldlimegreen. Reserves may also sign up by posting !Reserve. Clarifications may be asked in !bolddarkorange and will be collected in the second post.

This game is meant for 30 players as I am testing faction mechanics for a future phalla (not the next one, but the game after that). The game will start once I have 30 players. Based on the nature of this phalla, if 30 players do not sign up, I will have to make some adjustments, as to maintain balance, so I’d very much like 30 players.

Standard phalla rules apply. This includes, but is not limited to, no copying/pasting, taking screenshots, taking pictures of and e-mailing or anything else of role PM’s. Anonymous communication with other players is forbidden. Anyone you communicate with must know exactly who you are. Speaking in code is also forbidden. One death post that contains no in-game information is allowed. Communication of any kind with dead players is forbidden. I must have access to any proboards created. You are encouraged, but not required, to add me to any PM conversations you have with other players, so I have a feel for how the game is playing out and the clarity of any explanations I give

Each wrestler has a total of 10 hit points. Each night, a wrestler may decide to take 1 of 3 actions:
1.) Attack another player dealing 2 points of damage
2.) Defend yourself, preventing 2 points of damage. If no player attacks you, this increases your hit points by 2 hit points to a maximum of 10 hit points
3.) Use your finishing maneuver, dealing 5 points of damage. You may only use your finishing maneuver once per game, and only after attacking for two straight nights. The attacks do not have to be on the same player the prior nights. For example, you may attack player A night 1, player B night 2, then use your finishing maneuver on player C night 3 if you so choose.

As a reminder, trust and truth are valuable commodities in phalla. If you wish to bring a new person into a conversation you are already participating in, you MUST begin a new conversation and cannot simply add them to the old one.

All players must post once a day, including a vote post for a player to be lynched, designated in !boldred. Retraction posts can be made in !boldlimegreen , but are not required. The last !boldred vote post for a given user will be the one that is counted.

Do. Not. Edit. Vote. Posts. Period. For. Any. Reason. Fullstop. Dot.

Time-traveling posts have potential to cause some confusion. It is strongly recommended that you quote the post you are replying to. Posts that are somehow eaten by the servers will be considered to have not existed at all. You are responsible for ensuring your posts go through.

You will receive one (1) warning for inactivity before being removed and replaced. So long as replacements are available, players will be replaced, until the point of no return.

Voting for this phalla will close at 9:00pm EST. Only posts with a timestamp of before 9:00pm EST will be accepted. Special actions must be PM’ed to myself or listed on proboards by the same time. Orders put into an edited post after 9:00 pm EST on a proboard will not be accepted.
Once sign-ups are complete, the game will commence IN THIS THREAD.

Most important of all, remember this is a game and play nice with the other kids.

Unless your job is to stab them in the back.

Order of Operations:

Vote > Defense > Seer > Attack

Player List:
1. Auralynx
2. ObiFett
3. Kilroy
4. Kime
5. INANTP
6. Gizzy
7. Zombie Hero
8. Jdarksun
9. Goose!
10. Bedlam
11. CapFalcon
12. CuvistheConqueror
13. PwnanObrien
14. Hullis
15. Jpants
16. Hedgethorn
17. Drez
18. Preda
19. Cythraul
20. Ketbra
21. Langly
22. Grunt's Ghosts
23. TA
24. lonelyahava
25. discrider
26. MegaFrost
27. Buddha73
28. Radius
29. Sir Fabulous
30. ChillyWilly

Reserves:
1. Sepah
2. Baidol

Results:
Night One
Zombie Hero, The Undertaker, true believer of WWF
Langly, Rey Mysterio Jr, WCW/ECW aligned

Night Two
Mick Foley- discrider, WWF/ECW aligned
Sting- I Need Anime to Post, True Believer in WCW
Sabu- ObiFett, True Believer in ECW
Devon Dudley- WWF/ECW aligned

Night Three

The Big Show- Goose!, WWF/WCW aligned
Goldberg- The Anonymous, True Believer in WCW
”The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels-PwnanObrien- True Believer in WWF
Saturn- Hullis, WCW/ECW aligned
Scott Hall, Grunt’s Ghost, WWF/WCW aligned
RVD- Cythraul, WWF/ECW aligned
Bubba Ray Dudley- Sir Fabulous, WWF/ECW aligned

Night Four
The Rock- Preda, True Believer in WWF.
Diamond Dallas Page- Hedgethorn, True Believer in WCW
Taz, Ketbra, WWF/ECW aligned

Assuran on

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    This post is for clarifications.

1.) There are some conversion aspects of the game. It's a limited conversion that alters win cons. I don't want that to surprise people. Technically, a villager could be converted by "pure" wrestlers to join the cause.
    2.) The game will not end until at least day 5. During day 5 all players will choose nightly which of the two factions in their win con they wish to align with that night to win. The win con is for one faction to outnumber the other two factions.

Thralls, millers, conversions???

Conversions yes. Thralls and millers no. BUT, unless a player is 100% loyal to a faction, they will always read as 2 factions, even if they vote to win as one faction.
    Does the vote trickle? What happens in the case of ties?

My standard Phalla rules for votes: Ties result in death for all those tied and there is no vote trickle as vote kill comes first.
    Does narration give any indication of who's doing the attacking based on descriptions of how deaths came about?

Perceptive readers may be able to gleam some information from narrations.

Assuran on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I'm signing up for this phalla, and when I win, I'll be the Phalla Intercontinental Champion. Nobody can stop me!

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    NWO for life

• Options
    No Geth

You are not NWO

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Sorely tempted but not sure how it'll work with my hectic schedule. Gonna think about it though.

Also ECW for life.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    signupppp

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    YES! YES! YES!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Gizzy

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    sign

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    The first thing I want to be done is to get that piece of CRAP out of my ring.

Don't just get him out of the ring, get him out of the WWF, because I'm through, son, without a shadow of a doubt you ain't got what it takes anymore.

You sit there and you thump your bible and you say your prayers and it didn't get you anywhere.

Talk about your Psalms, talk about John 3:16. GOOSE 3:16 says I just !signed up

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Oh and as a point of order, if you're doing late 90s (or early 00s), this should be the WCW logo:
    3jk7sky.png

That red logo is from the inVasion angle after Vince bought it.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Yep. I'll change it.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    You don't think I deserve this? I'll tell you what, put me in as SIGN UP! number one! I will prove I deserve to be here once I throw 30 other wrestlers over the top rope one by one and earn my shot at WrestleMania the hard way!

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    I've only played wrestling video games, and they taught me that the way you tell which cruiserweight wrestler is winning is the one doing the most flips.

• Options
    That's pretty much just like real life Cap.

• Options
    I played WCW v NWO, I think that was the game, on N64 for well over 200 hours. So many free for all matches. Soooo much button mashing.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Oooh yeah! Thinkin', thinkin', thinkin' 'bout signing up for this thing here, yeah! 'Cause right now, this thing ain't got no madness, yeah! But I'm gonna bring that madness, oh yeah! They say the cream rises to the top, and I am that cream! Let me say it again! I am the cream! Yeah! THE CREAM OF THE CROP! Nobody does it better, yeah! And when I come to the Phalla, yeah, the cream is gonna rise to the top, and nobody can stop it! Dig it!

I'm done! Take me off the air!

TAKE ME OFF THE AIR!

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I played WCW v NWO, I think that was the game, on N64 for well over 200 hours. So many free for all matches. Soooo much button mashing.

I don't remember which one it was - one for the Gamecube - but there was a lot of goofy wrestling gaming in college for me. Also Def Jam: Fight for NY, which I'd be delighted if someone wanted to base a phalla on. You could throw an evil kung-fu Snoop Dogg out a window, or Danny Trejo in front of a subway train... that was a pretty good game.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    This is me announcing I'm signing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdzZXiLCUaM

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Sign me up, brother!

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Let's get ready to rumble PHALLLAAAAAAAAA

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    !sign up

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    I can't believe it! In a shocking display of poor sportsmanship, Cythraul just hit kime over the head with a signup!!!

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Cythraul, I find your vote for kime very suspicious. Consider the following:

1) The game hasn't started yet
    2) Roles haven't been assigned yet
    3) kime is just as likely as anyone else to be a mafia
    4) I like soup

Therefore, I can only assume you are a mafias trying to start a bandwagon on a vanillager. !Cythraul

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    SIGNUPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    sign

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Did you forget me? I've been in all these companies and beat every fat slob in them!
    Mr-socko-puppet-570x328.jpg

Maybe Mr. Socko needs to fucking remind you! Have A Nice Day!

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    I know nothing about wrestling

• Options
    Well macho mans rap album - but that's it

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Blah

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Did you forget me? I've been in all these companies and beat every fat slob in them!
    socko.jpg

Maybe Mr. Socko needs to fucking remind you! Have A Nice Day!

Angelfire, is that you?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    It was working!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    oh my. Why yes indeedly do.

Oh, and Wolfpack 4 life.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    This might be ill-advised.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Well, um, sign ups are going MUCH faster than anticipated. And I'm glad to see so many SE++ wrestling fans here.

There are 2 clarifications that I want to make for this game.

1.) There are some conversion aspects of the game. It's a limited conversion that alters win cons. I don't want that to surprise people. Technically, a villager could be converted by "pure" wrestlers to join the cause.
    2.) The game will not end until at least day 5. During day 5 all players will choose nightly which of the two factions in their win con they wish to align with that night to win. The win con is for one faction to outnumber the other two factions.

I'll put those clarifications in the second post.

Assuran on