Options

[DC Comics]: Crisis on Infinite #Rebirths

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I got to sit in on a couple of panels with Tim Truman a couple of weekends ago at Heroes Con. Good guy.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    ryvenryven Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    ryven wrote: »
    what are some good hawkman stories anyway

Hawkworld by Tim Truman.

nice, ive always liked him but havent read much of him by himself

there's a new deathstroke title coming out/is out? :o

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Man, DC is really revamping their Batman line, and I'm kinda digging it.

Batgirl is getting a new creative team, new look, and new direction courtesy of co-writers Cameron Stewart and Brendan Fletcher and new artist Babs Tarr.

They're describing their take as Veronica Mars like, with Babs moving to the trendy part of Gotham for grad school and being force to make her own costume (which looks great).

It feels kinda like a complete reboot and that's awesome, as Simone's versions did nothing for me.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    How old is Barbara suppose to be?

Cause that reads to me like they wanted to do a HS or younger Batgirl, couldn't and said "Fuck it! Gradschool!"

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    sorry new Batgirl writer, but there's already a superheroine inspired by : "212" by Azealia Banks Ft. Lazy Jay

America_Chavez_Miss_America_012.png

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    that said that sounds really promising and is maybe a sign that DC is finally realizing that there are potential customers out there beyond their core audience of middle aged white dudes that loved the 90s
    Just prior to the start of our story she’s pushed to the breaking point and decides that she’s had it with misery and darkness and wants a change.

just reading those words in relation to any DC character makes me happy, if only it was a metaphor for the company as a whole

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Fool's question, which is why I'm asking it, but they never did go into detail about Babs walking again, did they?

Just "Africa." Bless the rains and that was that.

• Options
    man, think of how much better this concept would be if it was a Stephanie Brown book

:rotate:

• Options
    Seriously. And it's not just because Stephanie Brown>Barbara Gordon.

There's a feeling like they're trying to deage her a bit. It feels like it's going to be a bit jarring to go from Simone's run- which while I haven't read has seemed like almost nothing but gloom and blood and tons of Barbara crying, to this.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    man, think of how much better this concept would be if it was a Stephanie Brown book

My first thought on reading the article and seeing the artwork was "Its like they're trying to turn Barbara into Stephanie Brown." Then I came here and saw your post.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    sorry new Batgirl writer, but there's already a superheroine inspired by : "212" by Azealia Banks Ft. Lazy Jay

America_Chavez_Miss_America_012.png

Dang
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Seriously. And it's not just because Stephanie Brown>Barbara Gordon.

There's a feeling like they're trying to deage her a bit. It feels like it's going to be a bit jarring to go from Simone's run- which while I haven't read has seemed like almost nothing but gloom and blood and tons of Barbara crying, to this.

They needed to do this immediately after the reboot. Still, better late than never.
    Shoulda been Steph.

• Options
    I'm totally going to give it a shot though - if DC is actually going to try something new and publish something other than grimdark serious tales for serious grown ups I want to encourage that.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    I'm totally going to give it a shot though - if DC is actually going to try something new and publish something other than grimdark serious tales for serious grown ups I want to encourage that.

Like Gilbert Hernandez doing Wonder Woman? (didn't see it posted here yet: http://comicsalliance.com/gilbert-hernandez-sensation-comics-featuring-wonder-woman-dc-digital-first/)

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular

Batgirl is getting a new creative team, new look, and new direction courtesy of co-writers Cameron Stewart and Brendan Fletcher and new artist Babs Tarr.

They're describing their take as Veronica Mars like

Hello, DC, I'm ready to give you money now

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Dizzy D wrote: »

Like Gilbert Hernandez doing Wonder Woman? (didn't see it posted here yet: http://comicsalliance.com/gilbert-hernandez-sensation-comics-featuring-wonder-woman-dc-digital-first/)

...huh. interesting. I don't usually get digital comics aside from The Private Eye which is a special case because it's amazing, but I'm curious to see how that turns out.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    It sounds like, aside from their digital first stuff still being typically solid, DC is a little less afraid to do book that their print editors probably find challenging or obtuse as long as they're in the Batman line.

Meanwhile, ever other part of the line gets to be just as bland and forgettable as all of the other books they announced earlier this week will likely be.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Has anyone else been reading Detective Comics since Manapul and Buccellato took over? I was initially really looking forward to Layman's run, but it didn't completely grab me from the start and ultimately I sort of stopped caring about it. Icarus has been really great from the start, though. The artwork has been fantastic, and I've really been enjoying the more confined scale of the plot. A very refreshing type of story compared to the big-scope tales Snyder and Tomasi have been telling (though that's a more recent development in Tomasi's case). I've genuinely been looking forward to the next issue each month, which has been a first for the book since New 52 started.

Does anyone know if they're staying on after Icarus wraps next issue? I really hope they are.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

They're describing their take as Veronica Mars like, with Babs moving to the trendy part of Gotham for grad school and being force to make her own costume (which looks great).

It feels kinda like a complete reboot and that's awesome, as Simone's versions did nothing for me.

Isn't that pretty much the DCAU version of Batgirl?

Also, are they going to de-age her or something? Barbara looks like she's around the same age as Tim Drake.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

That's odd, it sounds like she's saying she decided to stop writing Batgirl, after which the book's editors were changed, and then the new creative team was chosen.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I'm a little worried

because, if I remember right, the old Batman editor went to Marvel?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Yes, but he was also editor at Marvel before DC on Morrison's New X-Men and Whedon's Astonishing X-Men.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Mike Marts, yeah. He's the X-Men group editor now, he was Batman group editor up until January it was announced he was leaving. That timing actually makes me think it wasn't him who chased her off. For the last six months Mark Doyle's been Batman group editor.

• Options
    I'm honestly curious if all writers go through as many problems as Simone seems to do with her editors, but she's the only one that speaks up, or if it's something else.

Because her leaving Batgirl still seems sort of weird the way she's describing it.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I'm honestly curious if all writers go through as many problems as Simone seems to do with her editors, but she's the only one that speaks up, or if it's something else.

Because her leaving Batgirl still seems sort of weird the way she's describing it.

She's not an isolated incident. PAD left Hulk when the title became mainstream from being interfered with by editors, the One More Day debacle, the core X-men titles are known for being micro-managed by editors. Kelly and Segal said at a con that they were glorified secretaries for their editors, their story lines were constantly altered at short notice, plot lines dropped from orders from above etc. Characters forbidden to use by editors, re: Cassandra Cain. McDuffie's infamous run on Justice League.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Apparently the post-Mike Marts Simone Batgirl issues were edited by Katie Kubert, whom Marvel also hired. So either way, Marvel picked up the editor that made Simone leave the book.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Comic Alliance has collected a bunch of fan art of Batgirl in her new costume.

It's scary (and awesome) how much there is of it already.

• Options
    also if it was the old editors that chased her off, why wouldn't she stay once it was determined that they were leaving? She's outlasting both of them.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

She's not an isolated incident. PAD left Hulk when the title became mainstream from being interfered with by editors, the One More Day debacle, the core X-men titles are known for being micro-managed by editors. Kelly and Segal said at a con that they were glorified secretaries for their editors, their story lines were constantly altered at short notice, plot lines dropped from orders from above etc. Characters forbidden to use by editors, re: Cassandra Cain. McDuffie's infamous run on Justice League.

That said, we don't tend to get the editors side of things, and editors can often be justified in what they change. I wonder how many times editorial changes have resulted in a much better story.

• Options
    also if it was the old editors that chased her off, why wouldn't she stay once it was determined that they were leaving? She's outlasting both of them.
    She probably finished her scripts and decided to leave the book before Kubert left and now doesn't want to be a jerk and go WAIT NO I WANT BACK to the excellent new creative team.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

So Post-Grad for the next chapter isn't entirely out of the question, especially for someone as smart as Babs.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    If they are going in this direction, they should just reboot her completely and erase The Killing Joke.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Joker shot a proto clone of Barbara made by Talia to see if those super Damian babies were viable.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

Considering it's Cameron Stewart writing it, I'm sure that's what he intended.

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    You guys are nitpicking

It's a new 52 book that sounds like it won't be grimdark for the sake of grimdark what with arms and faces getting cut off and shit

It's a costume that doesn't have ribbing and piping and shit all over it

I say we look on the bright side, here, and ignore the little inconsistencies

• Options
    I can totally do both

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    And hey, we totally got Steph back in Batman Eternal. She's just not yet Batgirl.

Too bad Cass hasn't been reintroduced. :(

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2014
    Cassandra Cain is going to be brought back in my next DC project. It's The New Birds of Prey and the team is made up of daughters of super villains.

This same book will also reintroduce Scandal Savage and Nyssa al Ghul (based more off her
    Arrow appearances
    than previous comic appearances)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    This is why Simone is off Batgirl. I know, Bleeding Cool. It does have Gail's tweets, though.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/11/gail-simone-left-batgirl-over-creative-differences-with-the-editor-who-then-left-dc-comics/

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    And apparently Simone will be writing a new book that she can't tell you about because it's a SECRET. It's so much of a SECRET that she can't tell you anything about it other than the fact that even the title of the new book she's working on is a SECRET.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Green Lantern: Godhead event starts in October and runs through the usual titles (including Sinestro this time around), featuring the remaining Ring Corps battling against the New Gods, who intend to master the white light and use it to breach the source wall and alter the universe in their favor.

It sounds like a pretty cool idea, but that is six issues in one month, and the fact that they're all labeled "Act 1" like the Superman: Doomed books have been makes me think this will be a 3 month event at the least. I'm tempted to drop these titles and switch to trades again.