Options

[sysadmins] - International Brotherhood of Neckbeards and Mouthbreathers Local 258

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    So help me out here with my switch-

Vlan 1 (the default everything pings out fine)

But I want vlan 10 data, vlan 100 voice. Router has them set up on sub port x.10 x.100 and have the ip settings being pumped out.

On my hp switch data is untagged for all but the trunk port (tagged there) and voice is tagged for all ports.
    This has worked in the past with Hp switches.

If I again plug into these ports with 2 laptops with static ips- the switch doesnt even see the laptops in thier arp table..... no pings work etc...

It should pick up the untagged vlan and fly at that point right (the two lappys should ping each other)?

Yes, if you set say Ports 1-4 to VLAN 10 Untagged, Ports 1-4 VLAN 100 Tagged, two laptops plugged into any of the those 4 ports should be able to ping each other. Make sure the laptop's firewalls are off again, double check your netmask on both to make sure they are on the same subnet. Did you change any other settings from the default, such as spanning tree, rate controls, or port authentication that might be disabling ports?

Also make sure you actually save the configuration to that switch after making changes. If you reboot that switch without saving the config it will revert to the old config. On older HP switches this save step was unnecessary when using the GUI.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    FTP is all like

Is port 21 open? Yeah what about 20 MAYBBBEEE?

Okay what about (random assortment of ports depending on client) ?

The passive ports are defined on the server, but randomly chosen by the client within that range. It all depends on whether the client is trying to do active or passive FTP.

When you add on SSL there's like 6 different kinds of FTP though. Which makes for some fun times.

I've had one client that refused to use any of the passive ports within a range and then decided to pick its own. And then there's the fact that each site you're FTPing into can choose their own ports, where configuring it is just bananas, you might as well just open up your firewall if you want to FTP.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Because it's the right tool for the job...

I perhaps misspoke there. "FTP server on a windows server?"

Cause you're an MS shop and FTP server is an available built-in option to IIS?

I recently had to setup a WordPress site (and thus PHP, and FastCGI, and output caching, and all the other nonsense to get PHP working decently on Windows), and dev needed FTP write to the webroot of the WP site. That was fun. Everything would've been 12 times easier in Linux, but do I get to decide that?

"IT Director" my ass.

• Options
    That's where I'd say "you know we could do that but it's going to cost more time and money in the long run to maintain and install it. Why take the more costly route?"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I got a phone call from HR that a vendor was going to be here in one hour and could I please have a range of IP addresses and new network jacks ready for the equipment they'll be installing?

There was an argument.

The vendor isn't coming in an hour anymore.

• Options
    Holy fuck what the dilly?

• Options

HR seems to think that doing anything in any other department is as easy as doing things in their department. Which is to say you play a few games of solitaire, email your mom, and dick around on pinterest before telling someone else to do it at the last minute.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

But I want vlan 10 data, vlan 100 voice. Router has them set up on sub port x.10 x.100 and have the ip settings being pumped out.

On my hp switch data is untagged for all but the trunk port (tagged there) and voice is tagged for all ports.

If I again plug into these ports with 2 laptops with static ips- the switch doesnt even see the laptops in thier arp table..... no pings work etc...

It should pick up the untagged vlan and fly at that point right (the two lappys should ping each other)?

Yes, if you set say Ports 1-4 to VLAN 10 Untagged, Ports 1-4 VLAN 100 Tagged, two laptops plugged into any of the those 4 ports should be able to ping each other. Make sure the laptop's firewalls are off again, double check your netmask on both to make sure they are on the same subnet. Did you change any other settings from the default, such as spanning tree, rate controls, or port authentication that might be disabling ports?

Also make sure you actually save the configuration to that switch after making changes. If you reboot that switch without saving the config it will revert to the old config. On older HP switches this save step was unnecessary when using the GUI.

Ok. Im through all that and feeding dhcp... but now everything rides the data vlan....

Have the ports untagged but voice vlan 100 set to auto on those ports. Just not picking up 100.....

But progress....

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    That's where I'd say "you know we could do that but it's going to cost more time and money in the long run to maintain and install it. Why take the more costly route?"

The time is my time and it's already paid for. Not sure if it's the same for you, but that's the kind of mentality I have to deal with. Doesn't matter that dealing with stupid shit takes up time where I could be bringing in money or making customers happy. What's important is that we don't spend anything (other than MS licensing costs).

Djeet on
  • Options
    They also made the laughable "threat" that IT at headquarters would be "hearing some feedback over this".

I simply went with "I hope so."

Really wanted to go with "No, I don't have time to show you how to use Outlook again."

• Options
    Djeet wrote: »

The time is my time and it's already paid for. Not sure if it's the same for you, but that's the kind of mentality I have to deal with. Doesn't matter that dealing with stupid shit takes up time where I could be bringing in money or making customers happy. What's important is that we don't spend anything (other than MS licensing costs).

I think this is a business versus IT disconnect. You have to really drive home how, over the course of the next 1-5 years, you trying to fuck around with FTP/PHP/IIS is going to be a ton worse than loading up an ubuntu iso and forgetting it even existed after the few hours it takes to get running.

• Options
    I remember having to babysit an IIS server, it was pretty much a full time job because there was always some sort of quirk that needed to be dealt with for each and every client using it.

The apache box I pretty much set up and I think it might even still be running to this day. It at least ran for the 2 years I was employed.

That's time and "money" that was spent on you doing menial tasks they wouldn't have had to spend and you could focus on other tasks.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

HR seems to think that doing anything in any other department is as easy as doing things in their department. Which is to say you play a few games of solitaire, email your mom, and dick around on pinterest before telling someone else to do it at the last minute.

So I'm not the only person that thinks that HR is mostly a fucking rort?

Managers are supposed to be able to hire and fire. I get that in a location with more people (>100?), you might need some more senior oversight of the whole process to ensure all the relevant rules and regulations are followed correctly, but I've worked at a business that had a total of 47 employees in the one location including an HR team of 5 people before. Precisely what the fuck 4.5 of those 5 people did all day I have absolutely no idea. They all had company cars and executive-level paycheques, too.

• Options
    50 people? Pft, maybe 2 HR tops, definitely not executive level pay either.

• Options
    I have never worked anywhere that HR is anything but a total fucking drain on the entire company, with 5-20 people "performing" tasks that could easily be accomplished by a SharePoint FAQ and an intern.

• Options
    edited July 2014

Ok. Im through all that and feeding dhcp... but now everything rides the data vlan....

Have the ports untagged but voice vlan 100 set to auto on those ports. Just not picking up 100.....

But progress....

If ports are set to auto they aren't actually part of a vlan, they have to be set to Tagged. Anything you want to talk on VLAN 100 must either be configured to send tagged traffic (phones configured for 802.1q tagging on, VLAN ID=100) and be plugged into a port with VLAN 100 Tagged or have the port Untagged on VLAN 100 (voicemail server for example). Ports connecting to other switches/routers must have all VLAN's you want to pass over the link configured on them (statically or GVRP).

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I have never worked anywhere that HR is anything but a total fucking drain on the entire company, with 5-20 people "performing" tasks that could easily be accomplished by a SharePoint FAQ and an intern.

See, ideally you'd want to integrate HR and IT because they share so many functions. I mean imagine of you didn't have new hires just turning up one day needing a new laptop with the dev spec and a user account made with details you weren't given because HR already made the user account and placed the requisition themselves?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

See, ideally you'd want to integrate HR and IT because they share so many functions. I mean imagine of you didn't have new hires just turning up one day needing a new laptop with the dev spec and a user account made with details you weren't given because HR already made the user account and placed the requisition themselves?

Yeah. The Intern could just enter the new employee request into the sharepoint site.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    No... no you want well-paid HR people.

You certainly don't want management and interns running that show.

HR is your shield against serious lawsuits, and against your employees leaving in disgust.

Like my job, for instance, which I've come close to quitting several times in the last few months because of our inept HR staff and fucked up paychecks.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Well 50k a year salary would be fine for HR.

It doesn't take much to do payroll for 50 people. A few hours a week maybe.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Aioua wrote: »
    HR is your shield against serious lawsuits, and against your employees leaving in disgust.

This is seriously not what our HR is, I can tell you that.
    Like my job, for instance, which I've come close to quitting several times in the last few months because of our inept HR staff and fucked up paychecks.

I'm having a tough time parsing this statement against your first one.

Cog on
  • Options
    edited July 2014

This is seriously not what our HR is, I can tell you that.

I'm having a tough time parsing this statement against your first one.

Look, your HR may be some corrupt assholes who have it in good with the owners. Lord knows every company has that department.
    My HR is one overworked and underpaid person who's stuck dealing with a drowning company.

But it's not an easy job, and it doesn't take "a few hours a week". Not to do it right.

We should know better than this, being IT people. It's like when we're accused of just sitting in our offices and dicking around on computers.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    I said payroll is done in a few hours a week. For a 50 employee company, HR will logistically be doing nothing else for most of the time.

Maybe dealing with harassment or two coworkers not getting along here or there. Few and far between.

I do the leg work on new hires. They fill out tax paperwork.

Maybe they research a new health care plan that saves money and keeps the same benefits, (lol yeah right).

So if you go through a loooooootttt of employees a year, okay they have a busy job.

Maybe some slight changes to a handbook.

Dollars to donuts in a small business setting, HR could be handled by a part time employee showing up for 20 hours a week and probably still sit around on their hands most of the time.

• Options
    Yeah and what's this lazy IT guy do? Reboot a few servers now and again? Set up a computer here and there? Maybe write up a script? That's like 20 hours a week, tops.

I dunno man. Several of my friends work in HR, there's a lot more bullshit than you'd expect. Dealing with the insurers and investment companies is a bureaucratic nightmare. You'd be surprised at the number of complaints even a small number of employees can generate. There's time spent fighting with management to convince them of simple shit like "yes, sexual harassment is a real thing" and "no, you can't just change the pay schedule with no notice to make your year-end numbers look better".

• Options
    Computers are an every day problem, so yes?

• Options

But progress....

If ports are set to auto they aren't actually part of a vlan, they have to be set to Tagged. Anything you want to talk on VLAN 100 must either be configured to send tagged traffic (phones configured for 802.1q tagging on, VLAN ID=100) and be plugged into a port with VLAN 100 Tagged or have the port Untagged on VLAN 100 (voicemail server for example). Ports connecting to other switches/routers must have all VLAN's you want to pass over the link configured on them (statically or GVRP).

I think i found my issue...

Hp doesnt do cdp. so my phones arent getting the vlan 100 info....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited July 2014

But progress....

You may have to have your phones be configured with DHCP options. For example, our VOIP phones contact the DHCP server on the untagged data vlan and get dhcp option 156 (yours may be different) as part of the response. This option tells the phone to reconfigure itself for the voice vlan and the phone reboots and gets a voice ip/subnet DHCP address via a DHCP relay helper address on the router. Not as fast as CDP, takes maybe an extra 20 seconds at phone boot, but it works just fine.

Might also see if LLDP will work for what you want to do. It should be supported on HP and Cisco.

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    edited July 2014

But progress....

You may have to have your phones be configured with DHCP options. For example, our VOIP phones contact the DHCP server on the untagged data vlan and get dhcp option 156 (yours may be different) as part of the response. This option tells the phone to reconfigure itself for the voice vlan and the phone reboots and gets a voice ip/subnet DHCP address via a DHCP relay helper address on the router. Not as fast as CDP, takes maybe an extra 20 seconds at phone boot, but it works just fine.

Might also see if LLDP will work for what you want to do. It should be supported on HP and Cisco.

theres a cdp compatability mode.... im going to play with that tommorow.... should be all i need

thank you for working me through this.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    FTP is all like

The passive ports are defined on the server, but randomly chosen by the client within that range. It all depends on whether the client is trying to do active or passive FTP.

When you add on SSL there's like 6 different kinds of FTP though. Which makes for some fun times.

I've had one client that refused to use any of the passive ports within a range and then decided to pick its own. And then there's the fact that each site you're FTPing into can choose their own ports, where configuring it is just bananas, you might as well just open up your firewall if you want to FTP.

The first bit seems idiosyncratic.

The second, I don't really agree with. FTP way more complicated than one migh expect to set up, but it's not that bad. But realtalk, who cares about opening all the port on your firewall to your FTP server if you aren't using FTP/S?

FTP is bananas insecure on its own.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Remote office: We have been having lots of issues with our connection (and this is documented, so ok)

Me: Drives 230 miles to office, go to dmarc, stands in the quarter inch of standing water that has dripped down and coats the walls (including the plywood panel that all the dmarc crap is attached to), and sighs.

Who builds a building in the panhandle of Texas with a damn basement anyway, and WTF decides that's a good place to put a dmarc.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Djeet wrote: »

But the linux is freeeeee!

I am unreasonably upset by this story.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    So, I'm getting a Del Venue LTE Friday to test Direct Access.

I wish it was a Surface Pro 3 :( But then I guess I couldn't test Direct Access.

• Options
    FTP is all like

The first bit seems idiosyncratic.

The second, I don't really agree with. FTP way more complicated than one migh expect to set up, but it's not that bad. But realtalk, who cares about opening all the port on your firewall to your FTP server if you aren't using FTP/S?

FTP is bananas insecure on its own.

Well sure it is. I can't control how people code their passive FTP clients, and there's no police to make them adhere to standards. But FTP in particular is a pain in the ass, especially if you host your own FTP on site and opened it to the net. The second part is more of "I don't want to lose my mind by the time I'm 40".

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    iPads, why the fuck do I need to add a credit card to my App Store account to use it? All I want is free shit and I need to give them my credit info?

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Myiagros wrote: »
    iPads, why the fuck do I need to add a credit card to my App Store account to use it? All I want is free shit and I need to give them my credit info?

Nope. I forget how precisely but you can surely set up an iTunes Store account without a credit card or any payment at all.

Fakeedit: Apple covers this in their support docs.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Just in case you might ever want to buy something that isn't free, it's conveniently configured already. They're just being helpful, you know.

Real answer: Some of those free applications might have in-app purchases. You can't configure billing from within the app. Hence, configure billing first, "purchase" free app. Then you can buy the IAPs.

Cog on
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I saw this already when I did a search about it

"If you already created your Apple ID, you need to add a payment method when you first use that Apple ID to sign in to the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store. But you can optionally remove the payment method after you sign in to the store. You won't be asked for a payment method again until you make your first purchase."

I created my ID on my computer since the iPad kept giving timeout errors. Now when I open the store it opens the page to add a payment method but there is no option to choose "none" so basically I have to put my info in, then remove it.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Oh. Well then.
    Hm. How did you make your Apple ID on your computer?
    I remember doing it through iTunes on windows and choosing the none option there and it never asked again once I got my iPad. That was years ago though, they might have changed it…

• Options
    They also made the laughable "threat" that IT at headquarters would be "hearing some feedback over this".

The HR Manager gave her feedback to IT at our HQ office. I'm not sure exactly how far up the ladder it went, but two things have resulted from it.

A) We're not installing the equipment any time soon, probably until next month at the earliest. (It is equipment we legitimately require, just on more than 1 hour notice)

2) I received an in-person apology this morning.

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Hm. How did you make your Apple ID on your computer?
    I remember doing it through iTunes on windows and choosing the none option there and it never asked again once I got my iPad. That was years ago though, they might have changed it…

https://appleid.apple.com/account