Options

[sysadmins] - International Brotherhood of Neckbeards and Mouthbreathers Local 258

• Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    So we've been getting some timeouts on our MSSQL server in our apps recently.

I decided to check the logs in SQL to see if something popped up.

Turns out in "Current" we have over 4 million records of 1 error that happens when a stored proc calls a certain function. Found a KB from Microsoft on it with a fix.

Guess we're updating to SP2 on Monday.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    SentretSentret Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Them: Did you get my email?
    Me: Nope.
    Them: Ok, well, my email hasn't been working all day, can you fix it?
    Me: You sent me an email, to tell me your email wasn't working.
    Them: Yes?

Sentret on
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Man, metro apps can eat ALL the shit.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Metro apps seem completely worthless to me, and I say that as a user that is very happy with Windows 8.1.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    They make more sense on a tablet.

I've played with them on my laptop, and they're bullshit on that platform.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I use the weather app sometimes, when i'm just about to leave the house.

winkey+type part of weather+<enter>, glance at forecast, alt+f4. grab hat or don't.

pretty much just that one tho

• Options
    I use the weather app sometimes, when i'm just about to leave the house.

winkey+type part of weather+<enter>, glance at forecast, alt+f4. grab hat or don't.

pretty much just that one tho

I have a phone for that.

• Options
    my steps are quicker than taking my phone out of my pocket, since i'm already at the computer

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You don't charge your phone at your desk? You crazy.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    my phone goes most days around 14 hours between charges. less if i use navigation, I guess

also this is when i'm about to leave the house, not at work

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    My old phone would be at 15% charge after a 9 hour day, my new phone is at 75-80% after a 16 hour day.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    I like 2012R2

>_>

<_<

The OS is bad and you should feel bad.

And then one command later and its running in core and you can feel better.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Huh, I've just got BIRT really cranking and I can confirm:
    1. BIRT was what their old outsourcer used
    2. BIRT is awesome

EDIT: 1 might be wrong, I can't make it do everything they did exactly the same, but it is super close.

Crystal is still around, as are other services. The one commonality is that they're all never exactly the same, as they often use slightly different implementations of the same type of thing (which drives us reporting folks mad, as people want us to duplicate past reports to the cent).

Huh.

When I went to crystalreports.com I kept getting messages that the solutions were being retired by mid 2015 and some sort of cloud service was being offered instead. Today I was able to get a trial. A lot of the links are straight up broken though.

Happily the customer does not want an exact match - as long as it's mostly similar: the graphs have the same info, the graphs are broadly the same type etc... they are happy.

It's just my own bloodymindedness that frustrates me when things that should be relatively straightforward and make a lot of sense to me are unpossible.

Yeah, SAP bought them (with business objects, which is the report engine people usually use in a portal environment, but also sucks) and are integrating them into their offerings so you need to go full-boat with their offerings, just as Oracle has done with Hyperion. And people wonder why more are turning to other offerings...

Anything else you think I should check out? I've not been overwhelmed with BIRT's documentation.

I've just hit my first snag in BIRT but that is probably user error - I've got a weighted average thing to do, but there is a gap in the data. Just putting stuff in based on first principles and intuition has resulted in very strange behaviour...

Easiest, but perhaps least efficient solution is to make a more specific query...

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Huh, I've just got BIRT really cranking and I can confirm:
    1. BIRT was what their old outsourcer used
    2. BIRT is awesome

EDIT: 1 might be wrong, I can't make it do everything they did exactly the same, but it is super close.

Crystal is still around, as are other services. The one commonality is that they're all never exactly the same, as they often use slightly different implementations of the same type of thing (which drives us reporting folks mad, as people want us to duplicate past reports to the cent).

Huh.

When I went to crystalreports.com I kept getting messages that the solutions were being retired by mid 2015 and some sort of cloud service was being offered instead. Today I was able to get a trial. A lot of the links are straight up broken though.

Happily the customer does not want an exact match - as long as it's mostly similar: the graphs have the same info, the graphs are broadly the same type etc... they are happy.

It's just my own bloodymindedness that frustrates me when things that should be relatively straightforward and make a lot of sense to me are unpossible.

Yeah, SAP bought them (with business objects, which is the report engine people usually use in a portal environment, but also sucks) and are integrating them into their offerings so you need to go full-boat with their offerings, just as Oracle has done with Hyperion. And people wonder why more are turning to other offerings...

Anything else you think I should check out? I've not been overwhelmed with BIRT's documentation.

I've just hit my first snag in BIRT but that is probably user error - I've got a weighted average thing to do, but there is a gap in the data. Just putting stuff in based on first principles and intuition has resulted in very strange behaviour...

Easiest, but perhaps least efficient solution is to make a more specific query...

I'm more on the business side, but usually with reporting engines the key is to get things as clean as possible for input, as they don't deal with cleanup very well in-process (Of course we have a perfect star schema with no anomalies... oh wait, no one does). This is an ok list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_reporting_software , but doesn't include some of the newer stuff that can run off hadoop sources.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I just had an upgrade from SQL 2005 express to 2008 express blow up so completely that the instance I was trying to upgrade is just gone. The database files are there, as are my backups, but the upgrade ate the instance.

Hooray for free versions of SQL.

• Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    I just had an upgrade from SQL 2005 express to 2008 express blow up so completely that the instance I was trying to upgrade is just gone. The database files are there, as are my backups, but the upgrade ate the instance.

Hooray for free versions of SQL.

We'll be backing up all the things before installing SP2 on our 2012 SQL server. Especially after the last SharePoint update we did corrupted some databases and had it down for over a week.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    So I have a desktop box which is running Chrome to be a billboard system, with Windows 7.

After about 24 hours, I've found it starts killing things and throwing out of memory errors because Chrome is using something 3.5 / 4gb of RAM.

Is this a Chrome problem? I've inspected the web pages it displays and they don't allocate more then a few kb of Javascript heap.

Has anyone had experience with running web-apps this way? Is this normal behavior or should I basically expect to have to kill Chrome every hour or so to keep the memory use down? These are not complicated webpages, and the weird thing is that I can't replicate the same behavior locally - I can speed up their AJAX polling to 25ms on my Linux box here, and Chrome behaves utterly correctly. But open them on Windows and memory usage just skyrockets.

So far the only thing which seems to have helped is nuking the Chrome disk cache - maybe.

• Options
    So I have a desktop box which is running Chrome to be a billboard system, with Windows 7.

After about 24 hours, I've found it starts killing things and throwing out of memory errors because Chrome is using something 3.5 / 4gb of RAM.

Is this a Chrome problem? I've inspected the web pages it displays and they don't allocate more then a few kb of Javascript heap.

Has anyone had experience with running web-apps this way? Is this normal behavior or should I basically expect to have to kill Chrome every hour or so to keep the memory use down? These are not complicated webpages, and the weird thing is that I can't replicate the same behavior locally - I can speed up their AJAX polling to 25ms on my Linux box here, and Chrome behaves utterly correctly. But open them on Windows and memory usage just skyrockets.

So far the only thing which seems to have helped is nuking the Chrome disk cache - maybe.

Chrome has memory issues, at least in Windows (and for sure in 7). The longer I have it open during the day, the more memory it slowly shoves into its greedy resource hole.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Chrome has memory issues, at least in Windows (and for sure in 7). The longer I have it open during the day, the more memory it slowly shoves into its greedy resource hole.

Urgh, that's what I feared.

Clearing the disk cache seems to have helped, so hopefully I can bump the kill/restart script to only run every 12 hours or so.

• Options
    Yes, having 32 gigs of memory finally pays off.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I hate it when users complain about the web filter. Oh no, it blocks ads so that the webpage looks strange! And these are the same people whose laptop gets infected when they are at home.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Tell them you'll stick them in the DMZ and stop filtering if they never plug back into your network again and never bother you again.

• Options
    SentretSentret Registered User regular
    I usually say 'Oh, I think I can fix that. Just give me ten minutes to pull up your web history to check it out.'
    It's at that point that they say something like 'Oh, nevermind, no big deal.'

• Options
    See, if you do it my way, eventually you barter yourself to the point that there's no more users actually on the domain who are allowed to call you.

• Options
    See, if you do it my way, eventually you barter yourself to the point that there's no more users actually on the domain who are allowed to call you.

It sucks for me though because my boss is much more... of a curmudgeon than me (hard to believe isn't it?). He'll call you a "freaking moron, you are so freaking lazy" right to your face. I'm a bit nicer because I don't have the shield of being the boss to protect me.

So when I go on vacation no one bothers him with issues, everything works smoothly. When I come back "oh yeah this happened last week, but it wasn't important until now."

I kind of wish I outranked my supervisor (who is just directly under the boss) so I could call people morons and not get any blowback.

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    I'm getting used to my Surface and Win8.1 in general. It's ok. I don't like it as much as Win7, but I think I have passed the tipping point from 'dislike' to 'like'. I 'like' the OS, it's just a step backwards from 7.

If I could actually customize (drag/drop, collapse/expand groups) shit on the All Programs page, it would be a lot nicer. The start window is ok, but I'm not a fan of "just make a huge splatter of icons for everything you use!". The search function does work well, yes. 90% of what I need to do, I can generally do by hitting the start button and typing the first word or two and hitting enter. I'm getting along with that feature.

The entries of the "All programs page" (accessible by Win + Q) are actually the contents from the old Start-menu folder. You can edit the following directories to change the links on the All programs page or to create more subsections:

Per-user Startmenu: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    All user's Startmenu: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

• Options
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    I'm getting used to my Surface and Win8.1 in general. It's ok. I don't like it as much as Win7, but I think I have passed the tipping point from 'dislike' to 'like'. I 'like' the OS, it's just a step backwards from 7.

If I could actually customize (drag/drop, collapse/expand groups) shit on the All Programs page, it would be a lot nicer. The start window is ok, but I'm not a fan of "just make a huge splatter of icons for everything you use!". The search function does work well, yes. 90% of what I need to do, I can generally do by hitting the start button and typing the first word or two and hitting enter. I'm getting along with that feature.

The entries of the "All programs page" (accessible by Win + Q) are actually the contents from the old Start-menu folder. You can edit the following directories to change the links on the All programs page or to create more subsections:

Per-user Startmenu: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    All user's Startmenu: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Win + Q gave me a search window

'C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu' was empty

Rearranging 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu' had no effect on the Apps/All Programs window under the start window.

• Options
    On the plus side, a co worker alerted me to Classic Shell.

Sooo.... Windows 8 with a Win7 start menu.

Yeah, we're good here.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I cannot stand people who want the windows start menu.

Because that is ugly and less functional.

• Options
    Less functional? It presents me more options in a more compact, more organized interface.

• Options
    U8RDFEp.png

Ahhhhh.... That's better.

• Options
    There is literally no way to win this argument. They want one thing because they like it and find it more functional. We want another because we like it and find it more functional.

For me, the windows 8 tile shit is not in any way more functional. It merges the desktop with start menu in to a mess of shit.

I use the quick launch (not that pinning bullshit) to keep things I use most frequently, desktop for things I use infrequently, and start menu for things I use rarely ever.

Search for things if I absolutely need to.

Windows 8 adds an extra 4-5 seconds of bullshit in dealing with it, so, I elect to use the start menu, because it adds 0 seconds of bullshit.

I don't know the other side of the puzzle to argue it effectively, but it's likely "but I can put everything I use most frequently here" which is pretty much identical to my quick launch except it's not an ugly eyesore.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Windows 8 does some things good
    Windows 7 does some things good
    OS X does some things good
    Linux does some things good

Stop being end users.

• Options
    lol linux doing things

• Options
    Linux does all things good.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Linux does all things good.

And if it doesn't do a thing good, then that thing is obviously for casuals.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    My old phone would be at 15% charge after a 9 hour day, my new phone is at 75-80% after a 16 hour day.
    We get almost no signal from sprint in our building, and our guest wireless in here has this weird issue where it just sometimes does not hand out IP addresses (far as I know only happens to us in the IT buildings. Been going on for like a year). My phone also had an issue until the latest update where despite me turning off mobile data, it would just turn it back on the next time it couldn't find a good wifi. So I would come in to work at 6:30, and around 8:00 realize my pocket is super hot. Pull out my phone and it's down to about 70% from desperately trying to find a data signal.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    We get almost no signal from sprint in our building, and our guest wireless in here has this weird issue where it just sometimes does not hand out IP addresses (far as I know only happens to us in the IT buildings. Been going on for like a year). My phone also had an issue until the latest update where despite me turning off mobile data, it would just turn it back on the next time it couldn't find a good wifi. So I would come in to work at 6:30, and around 8:00 realize my pocket is super hot. Pull out my phone and it's down to about 70% from desperately trying to find a data signal.

There are a few labs in my work that are extremely noisy in the cell spectrums, often with signals that look like cell signals but aren't. Go in there with cellular on and your phone will destroy its battery trying to make sense of it all.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

This is pretty much exactly what goes on at my work, but sub AT&T for the carrier. Thankfully we fixed our guest wifi issue recently. And we do BYOD so I can use the standard wifi anyway. Still, if I end up without a signal for a large chunk of time, my phone can unknowingly suck away a third of its life in an hour or two. I find just taking it out of my pocket and putting it on my desk helps its signal a lot.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    It seems like my new phone just doesn't care about whether or not there is no signal. My old one would try connecting to the cell network(bad signal as well) or the wifi which was pretty shitty. Nothing has changed since I got the new one yet it does much better with the battery, it's also 4 years newer though.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27