Options

[The Legend of Korra] BOOK 3 BEGINS! (NSF-Spoilerbenders) Also, there's a game now.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Just to clarify

I wasn't referring to "white" as a literal European-based race.

I was referring to distinct folks of colour being apart of the main group of the show.

Of which we currently have only one.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Trying to count distinctly racialized characters is problematic, since that art style doesn't really show a whole lot of racial differentiation outside of skin tone.

Long Feng is pretty explicitly supposed to be Asian, but you can mostly tell that because they rely on some traditional Chinese stereotypes and signifiers to indicate it:

HPYe3lg.png

But his skin tone and facial structure really aren't that far off from Mako, who you're not including in your count of distinctly non-white characters:

msKKDHH.jpg

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Oh lord.

No more racebending, please. There's nothing to be gained from it unless one of you has secretly developed an ultimate technique and wrestles under the moniker "The Color-Blind Bandit".

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    We already know what the 'races' are in the Avatar world.

Fire Nation, Earth Nation, Water Nation and Air Nomads.

Which is to say there isn't really 'race' in the Avatar world because it's never actually been a thing that has been talked about. All there is for us to even consider is artistic styles for different characters or where the different nations' cultures draw inspiration from.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Yeah actually, on reflection the point I was trying to make does seem kind of racist in itself.

My bad.

• Options
    S'cool dude. Usually I'd be happy to agree with the point that there's more potential POC as main characters in something, but one of the things I really like about the Avatar setting is that I've very rarely considered race to be a 'thing' in it at all. It's more nationalism and discrimination based on that. "You're a useless person because you're earth nation!" Said by a Fire nation person strikes me as something based on which nation someone is from rather than any concept of race being involved.

Might just be me, but it's a refreshing thing for sure to not really see racial based plot elements or the like.

• Options
    I guess? It seems like a weird distinction to make, given that being a Fire bender, and thus part of the Fire Nation, is as much a genetic thing as it is a national thing.

Just like saying "we don't need to have a discussion about race" seems a little strange since race is almost intrinsic part of the show and the events that are happening in it this season, with the rebirth of the Air nomads and how people who have found they're now imbued with that genetic trait might not actually want to associate with that particular culture.

• Options
    Is it really a genetic thing? I mean, I don't really remember much of a talk about it being genetic. The most we've ever really been told about the origins of bending was back during Wan's story in book 2 where it was given to people by the Dragon Turtles, rather than it being something they were born with. I see bending as a spiritual thing that some people are able to do rather than something inherently baked into their genes.

In fact, I feel like the show itself pushes the angle that bending is something inherently spiritual rather than physiological.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    They have said its genetic I was pretty sure

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Hm, okay. I guess I don't remember any mention of that specifically in the show, but I could well be wrong!

I've seen it referred to outside the show as being similar to a recessive gene but not that it specifically was one or suchlike.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I'm not so sure its "genetic" but it sure is hereditary in most cases. The avatar being the exception as always.
    I mean, the first generation of benders got their gift from the Dragonturtles, but that gift has been passed from parent to child, not teacher to student.
    Culture does influence their techniques. Iroh taught Zuko lightning deflection, Sun Warriors are different from Fire Nation, Toph invented metalbending, sandbenders are specialized earthbenders, Swamppeople and their plantbending techniques are quite different from the polar tribes etc etc.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    It seems to be a combination of the two, in that once upon a time, it was a gift from the spirits of the particular area, but eventually it became hereditary within that culture. Now that the spirits are back, that part of it is once again emerging as a factor.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Hm, okay. I guess I don't remember any mention of that specifically in the show, but I could well be wrong!

I've seen it referred to outside the show as being similar to a recessive gene but not that it specifically was one or suchlike.

I think they way it works is the element you are capable of bending is genetic (that's why only fire-benders are born to the Fire Nation, and only earth-benders are born to the Earth Kingdom, etc...) but whether or not someone is a bender or non-bender is spiritual.

But I completely agree with your previous point about traditional racial issues not really making much sense (beyond our own projection of race) in a world where racial lines are drawn between the elements.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Plus, Ginger. You know she isn't fake.

They explicitly say it's dye.

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    We already know what the 'races' are in the Avatar world.

Fire Nation, Earth Nation, Water Nation and Air Nomads.

Which is to say there isn't really 'race' in the Avatar world because it's never actually been a thing that has been talked about. All there is for us to even consider is artistic styles for different characters or where the different nations' cultures draw inspiration from.

Well technically it's Earth Kingdom/Water Tribe as opposed to nation, but that's beside the point.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Nobody in this show is white.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
  • Options
    FUCKING NICK

HOW ARE YOU SO GODDAMNED STUPID ALL THE GODDAMNED TIME

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    FUCKING NICK

HOW ARE YOU SO GODDAMNED STUPID ALL THE GODDAMNED TIME

I mean

pulling a show for low ratings isn't stupid

it SUCKS

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

So this means they will return it to Saturday mornings where it got its best ratings right? Guys? Why is everyone laughing...

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I guess whoever's been trying to kill this show's audience since day one must feel really good about themselves right now.

• Options
    The stupid bit is not actually trying to schedule the new episodes at all, they just kind of launched it in the middle of summer and then somehow got surprised that the ratings weren't great. If they did a proper advertising campaign leading up to it and kept the show launches consistently in September, they'd avoid this bullshit.

Same thing happened with Season 3 of A:TLA, they did half a season, panicked at the ratings and then just sat on the remaining episodes.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It shouldn't be terribly surprising the show's ratings are suffering after season 2.

I know season three is like...the best season thus far, but I'm sure a lot of people swore off the show.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    They launched it with no publicity in the middle of the summer, aired three episodes, took a week off, and gave no realistic options for catching up to episodes you'd missed in the meantime. I'm not sure what they expected to happen

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    yeah it is pretty dumb

i didn't even know it was coming back until after it was already back

and this is easily the best season of the 3

this is piss poor marketing come on

poo
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Can we get Netflix to pay for more seasons or something?

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I mean the seasons are already being made, they're pretty far into production on the final one

they just don't want to air them or something

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Fucking fucking fucking FUCK! Is someone at Nickelodeon just completely unaware of how to actually air a TV series?

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    nick is probably the stupidest network on cable, or somebody there really, really hates avatar

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    nick is probably the stupidest network on cable, or somebody there really, really hates avatar

I used to think it was the former

But the TMNT release schedule has been like

pretty sensible

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    They basically pulled a Sega Saturn release and they wonder why everyone isn't watching.

Also, you've given the cord cutting folks no alternative. They aren't going to go find a way to watch it on tv, they just aren't going to watch it all, period. Unless they go way we don't talk about here, which amounts to the same thing for nick in this case.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Ah, episode 4 is down, time to check into the thread and see what everyone is.....is....no....no.....NO.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    now we just need a shitty live action adaptation of korra for things to come full circle

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Zac Efron is Kory: The Final PowerBender

Directed by Michael Bay

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

among many reasons i wish i was at SDCC this year, HERE'S ONE OF THEM.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Wow, I did not know how tense I was until I saw that.

Which is adorable, by the way.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I think that's good news

I think

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    They launched it with no publicity in the middle of the summer, aired three episodes, took a week off, and gave no realistic options for catching up to episodes you'd missed in the meantime. I'm not sure what they expected to happen

Yeah, like. I love Avatar, big fan of the series, all that jazz. As is my girlfriend.

Neither of us had absolutely ANY idea that episodes had come out until some randomly mentioned it to us in a different conversation.

5 episodes were out at this point.

So dumb.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Hang tight, Korra fans. There is 1 new episode this Friday at 8, then the rest of the season will be available from various sites online. We'll let you know when we have more details. Thanks!

Emphasis mine

Was Nick... inspired by Weird Al's marketing campaign?

This discussion has been closed.