As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Batman] - Arkham Knight - Delayed to 2015

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Did a replay of Arkham Asylum for Batman day. Finished up today. Kinda rushed, (skipping some cutscenes/dialogue), I finished it in under 9 hours.

Fun stuff, but the combat feel pretty incomplete in comparison to what you have in AC and AO.

I like to think he punched rebreathers down their throats.

I did the same thing, although I'm only about halfway through, because I felt like doing all the Riddler challenges. Yeah, it's really startling how much the combat system evolved between Asylum and City. I keep trying to do moves that don't exist, and botching simple fights because of it. Asylum is still my favorite though, because of the Scarecrow sequences.

My all-time favorite aspect of these games is when you do a Ground Takedown, but instead of straddling the guy's waist and punching him in the head, you land with your knees on their shoulders and deliver a ball punch that lands like the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    My personal problem with the Joker is while he's a good villain, Ra's al Ghul is a better one and has way more to work with.

There is some cool story potential for Ra's to be pulling strings in the background of AK.
    He could have Jason back via laz pit like in the Red Hood movie. Damian could be Arkham Knight under Ra's guidance. (Though, not sure if the time line works for Damian being old enough)

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I dunno, Ra's always seemed to me to be a poor villain for batman. He doesn't really fit into batman's rogue gallery. hes too global compared to scarcrow, joker, riddler, penguin. Batman's best when hes being a detective that has to do with individual crimes or serial killers. Its more....a personal battle between bats and the guy hes opposing...Ra's doesnt feel personal, hes more of a general wanna destroy the world meglomaniac.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    I dunno, Ra's always seemed to me to be a poor villain for batman. He doesn't really fit into batman's rogue gallery. hes too global compared to scarcrow, joker, riddler, penguin. Batman's best when hes being a detective that has to do with individual crimes or serial killers. Its more....a personal battle between bats and the guy hes opposing...Ra's doesnt feel personal, hes more of a general wanna destroy the world meglomaniac.

Ra's is very personal, at least in the comics. He's family.

Local? No. Personal? Very.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »

Ra's is interesting if used very sparingly, for precisely that reason - he forces Batman to operate on an unfamiliar scale. But he's definitely a character who can wear out his welcome easily, which is probably why I've never really warmed up to the existence of Damien.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    klemming wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    We hatin' on Troy Baker now?

I think so, because he personally forced Mark Hamill to retire from the role.[/fan]

I was actually impressed by Baker's work in Origins, since he had to mimic someone else's portrayal, which isn't easy, but he did well. I suspect that someone who didn't know they'd been changed wouldn't notice.

He didn't mimic him though. He brought his own touch to the role.
    The problem with voicing a character like the Joker is the you either have to nail the voice people are used to, or you have to give it a new and different enough take to make it your own. Anything in between will be met with disappointment.

Not from me.

But in general this is true. It triggers comparison bias.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    They really went a little overboard on riddler stuff in AC.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    This will never happen, not a billion years, but I would never stop praising AK if there was bonus boss battle with
    Superman. An incredibly, like, Rodin from Bayonetta level, tough fight where if you miss one counter you're fucked. Just Batman vs. Superman, with Supes pulling no punches.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    This will never happen, not a billion years, but I would never stop praising AK if there was bonus boss battle with
    Superman. An incredibly, like, Rodin from Bayonetta level, tough fight where if you miss one counter you're fucked. Just Batman vs. Superman, with Supes pulling no punches.

No contest
    all Batman needs is to bring his Kryptonite laced gloves

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    skeldare wrote: »

No contest
    all Batman needs is to bring his Kryptonite laced gloves
    Supes has a variable level of resistance to kryptonite though. Sometimes he's completely disabled, sometimes only partially.
    You could start out the fight with him at full power and as you beat him the kryptonite comes out and he starts going down, but he's still fighting back.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I'd like to see a fight against Superman. The counter button flashes and you push it. Then Superman hits you 66 times, all with just enough force to prevent killing you. Batman instantly passes out.

This fight has always been stupid.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I'd like to see a fight against Superman. The counter button flashes and you push it. Then Superman hits you 66 times, all with just enough force to prevent killing you. Batman instantly passes out.

This fight has always been stupid.

Handle it like One Punch Man.

You're going all out, you're making progress, it's the hardest thing in the game but you're going to make it...!

Then Superman goes with a single "serious" punch. And you crumble like tinfoil.

And then he says it's the first time he's had a real workout in years, and Batman just glares.

"You're a lousy liar, Clark. You weren't even trying."

Superman has the most sheepish shrug ever aaaand...scene.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    I could kind of imagine it as an extremely difficult "bonus" challenge map.

You can't get hit, at all. One punch and you're out. Supes would only be vulnerable after a while of dodging attacks, and then you'll have to use a gadget before you can punch him - like the Mr. Freeze fight. And just like in the latter he becomes immune to gadgets you've already used.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Superman will be a hidden boss battle and voiced by Lance Bass.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    My personal problem with the Joker is while he's a good villain, Ra's al Ghul is a better one and has way more to work with.

As heretical as this will sound, I wasn't a huge fan of Joker in the Arkham Games. Not that I disliked him or anything I just didn't go gaga for him. It felt like a mix of the Uber-Dark Joker and TAS Joker which for me didn't quite gel.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'd like a Superman/Batman fight to be like the Electrocutioner fight, but in reverse.
    They're talking to each other, Superman is trying to get Batman to stand down from doing something ostensibly insane (Batman would naturally have a perfectly good reason that he's not telling anyone about, because he's Batman and that's what he does). Big build up, dramatic boss music, the works.
    The moment you actually try to throw a punch, bam. Fight over.
    Naturally, this would also be part of the Plan.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Batman can defeat anyone, given sufficient time to prepare. Which is why I want a game that's entirely about Batman preparing to beat Superman.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I want a game where the opening scene is Supes lands behind Batman and goes "Bruce we have to talk about this"

And Bats throws kryptonite over his shoulder and says "No. We don't."

Then walks into the foreground.

Leaving the games title logo superimposed over a suffering Supes.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    If anyone doesn't know there's a sale on comic related stuff on 360 right now till Monday.

Included in the sale is Arkham Origin season pass for $10.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Batman can defeat anyone, given sufficient time to prepare. Which is why I want a game that's entirely about Batman preparing to beat Superman.

This idea being based on two storylines. Dark Knight Returns where Batman... does not defeat Superman. Which was his plan granted, but after Superman gave him a mile of rope to play with, he still does not win. And Tower of Babel where Batman has come up with a way to beat all his teammates... that generally involves betraying them while they still trust him and would not work if they were after him.

I love Batman, but I HATE this idea that everyone else is just lining up to be beat by him. It's such a playground way of thinking about things.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    If anyone doesn't know there's a sale on comic related stuff on 360 right now till Monday.

Included in the sale is Arkham Origin season pass for $10.

If you have a PS3, Arkham Origins itself is only $8 as well

• Options
    edited July 2014

This idea being based on two storylines. Dark Knight Returns where Batman... does not defeat Superman. Which was his plan granted, but after Superman gave him a mile of rope to play with, he still does not win. And Tower of Babel where Batman has come up with a way to beat all his teammates... that generally involves betraying them while they still trust him and would not work if they were after him.

I love Batman, but I HATE this idea that everyone else is just lining up to be beat by him. It's such a playground way of thinking about things.

Man it's a cartoon character you don't have to get up in arms about who would really win. Let people express their scenarios and have fun being creative. There doesn't have to be a right answer.

Morninglord on
  • Options

Man it's a cartoon character you don't have to get up in arms about who would really win. Let people express their scenarios and have fun being creative. There doesn't have to be a right answer.

You're basically saying I should let everyone else get up in arms and not point out how dumb it is though. Like what, Superman or The Flash is incapable of coming up with a strategy for "dealing" with Batman?

Despite how much I'm not a fan of New 52 Justice League, it DID get the Superman v Batman fight fairly accurate. In that there wasn't one save for Superman curiously watching what Batman would TRY to do and not really being bothered by it. Meanwhile Batman's strategy was getting across the communication, "Here's why you shouldn't beat the crap out of us, God Man."

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I don't really think anyone was getting up in arms. People were just having fun with a popular meme.
    But hey, maybe they were, and in that case I'm addressing them as well.
    Let just have fun eh?

Morninglord on
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Can anyone give me a quick primer on the differences between Asylum and City? I got City for free with PS+ recently, just started it and I'm enjoying it more than most open world games. I understand Asylum is a bit more contained but seeing it at sub-$5 right now is tempting. Sell me on it!

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Asylum is a pure 3d metroidvania.
    Play it first before you get too deep into city because it suffers a bit. City improved a lot.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Play it first before you get too deep into city because it suffers a bit. City improved a lot.

I can kinda see the Metroid comparison (if we are talking about the 3d gen) with the exploration aspects, but how is it like castlevania and such?

Anyway Aslyum has some neat "Batman in the Shadows" moments and the joker is much more prominent if you are a fan of him. If you want a reason to play it @HeraldS. There are a few nice villain cameos also.

Egos on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Egos wrote: »

I can kinda see the Metroid comparison (if we are talking about the 3d gen) with the exploration aspects, but how is it like castlevania and such?

Symphony of the Night and its descendants. Heavy exploration with unlocked abilities letting you into new areas.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Asylum is Metroid.

City is Zelda.

That's how they were pitched to me once upon a time.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Wait when did I say castlevania.

I was trying to think of a plural of metroid. "Vania" popped into my head. I've never even played a Castlevania and it certainly didn't spring to mind.

Guys guys backup the thought train here.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I can confirm. Metroidvania was said.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Asylum is a Batman-themed Metroid game, which makes it my favorite of the bunch.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    "Metroidvania" is basically a genre tag that encompasses a number of wildly different actual genres, from Guacamelee to Arkham Asylum. It's just a shorthand way of saying "you can't get into this door now, but eventually you will when you get the right item." There is a lot of bleed over between Zelda (and Darksiders and Arkham City) and Metroidvania games. You don't need to have ever played a Castlevania game to see the influences of the post-SNES era Castlevania games, which were in turn influenced by Metroid (particularly Super Metroid).

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Definitely play Asylum first. There are a lot of awesome things that you won't want to miss. At the time it was released, the combat felt like a revelation from God, and the exploration and stealth gameplay still feels more solid in this one than it does in later entries. The comparison of Asylum to 3D Metroid and City/Origins to Legend of Zelda feels very valid. Asylum is more of one organic whole that has you winding through individual regions. City has a big gorgeous overworld that's fun to navigate, but the interiors are all isolated. Also, City has SO MUCH MORE that you can do than Asylum that it could be overwhelming - think of Asylum as a really deeply involved tutorial for City.

The only question really is whether to play Origins after finishing Asylum and City. If City left you craving more, Origins plays pretty much like an extended City DLC... but a buggy one, that painfully under-utilizes a number of characters and story elements. I still enjoyed the hell out of it, but if someone told me they decided to skip it, I wouldn't look at them like they're a crazy person like I would with Asylum and City.

Also there's the Origins - Blackgate 3DS game that I don't recommend at all. They could have just made a literal 2D Metroidvania and it would have been amazing, but they tried for this weird 3D-but-not-3D thing that's clunky as hell.

Desert Leviathan on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Also there's the Origins - Blackgate 3DS game that I don't recommend at all. They could have just made a literal 2D Metroidvania and it would have been amazing, but they tried for this weird 3D-but-not-3D thing that's clunky as hell.

I just re-read the OP, making it as I did about sixteen months ago

I was so innocent then, so full of hope

I really thought Blackgate was gonna be the shit

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Yeah it's pretty clear it wasn't the talent who left Retro to form Armature.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Having played Asylum at release, and then just replaying it last week, after hundreds of hours in AC (3 playthroughs, 100% all challenges as all characters, and a handful best times on Predator rooms), I will throw in with the people saying play Asylum first.

Asylum is a great game. It is just a really solid experience. You will have a great time with it.

City manages to improve and expand Asylum in such great ways that it manages to make Asylum feel slightly broken by comparison.

It will feel a lot more like a first effort if you play it after AC, where as if you play it first, it is just a wonderful new experience.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Asylum is also a hell of a lot more focused than City. I feel like it's tougher to get distracted like you can in City because you can't just run off in any direction.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The Arkham series is one of the best things to come out of last gen, and each game does something better than the others:

Origins - Best story
    Asylum - Best atmosphere, location and most focused of the three
    City - Best gameplay and more fleshed out fighting system. Also best collection of Rogues.

All three are worth playing for different reasons.

Except Blackgate, such a huge disappointment. The story is okay-ish, the gameplay is rubbish, the villains are okay-ish, the fighting system is terrible and sluggish, the cutscenes are terribly done, the voice work is dumb, and the level design is crap on a stick.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I got Origins on the steam sale and have finally started working through it, but I've run into something. And it's probably going to result in me being dumb, but I'm getting frustrated to the point of putting the game down instead of continuing with it.

I cannot seem to find a way to access any of the additional comm towers to unlock additional fast travel points. And I cannot actually figure out how to get back to the batcave to pick-up the first weapon they give you there. (heading to the police station)

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
This discussion has been closed.