Options

[Heroes of the Storm] Artifacts removed. And there was much rejoicing!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    everyone is skirmishing over a tribute

rehgar bot spawns, pings a merc camp on the other side of the map, walks off over there

truly impressive AI programming

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    You've played Hearthstone, right?

Pretty sure they copy pasted their AI from Starcraft...1.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    at least the ai is so bad i can farm xp on practice without actually playing for new characters.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The AI has become one of those universal "...oh." moments that every HOTS player recognizes now. Having an AI character on your team is such a death sentence in versus that nobody even bothers to blame eachother for losing once someone points out that the last player has been an AI the whole time. It's like an unspoken understanding that brings people together.

• Options
    Maledict66Maledict66 Registered User regular
    Oddly enough, I've found the AI is generally better with Diablo than any human player I've been with in a pick up group... the AI at least uses the overhead smash properly to move people into range for team fights!

• Options
    Maledict66 wrote: »
    Oddly enough, I've found the AI is generally better with Diablo than any human player I've been with in a pick up group... the AI at least uses the overhead smash properly to move people into range for team fights!

geth clearly plays diablo.

also every time a diablo overpowers people away from the team and not waiting to overpower them back in i want to die. so many lost kills.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Donnicton wrote: »
    The AI has become one of those universal "...oh." moments that every HOTS player recognizes now. Having an AI character on your team is such a death sentence in versus that nobody even bothers to blame eachother for losing once someone points out that the last player has been an AI the whole time. It's like an unspoken understanding that brings people together.

We had an AI Zagara in Mines last night. Near the end, Zagara 100%ed the mines while everyone else was busy in a life and death situation (I was about to complain about having the AI when we realized what'd happened and we loled instead). When the golems spawned, both teams split off pushing each others' cores while defending their own. We won with like 25% core remaining.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Jesus I think Geth is really into this game.

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Talent gating still suuuuuuuuuuucks

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    i don't even know how to go about fixing hammer. +1 level hammer just killed me as wrath of the berserker sonya while i'm chain slamming her in melee range. didn't even get her below half hp because hammer has so much damage and lifesteal now.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    you lower her damage and lifesteal

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I am hoping they hotfix or something to boost hero xp and lower artifact costs. I do not need to wait another three weeks for them to fix their self-evidently awful systems.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I am hoping they hotfix or something to boost hero xp and lower artifact costs. I do not need to wait another three weeks for them to fix their self-evidently awful systems.

Yeah but on the other hand, "It's Alpha, shut up and test it." - per the Blizzard CMs on the matter so far.

Pretty airtight counterargument if you ask me!

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

On the other hand, since I am not permitted by Blizzard to play this game yet, I am perfectly fine with your discomfort.

It's all that gets me through the day, when I boot up B-net and don't see a Heroes of the Storm icon there.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Yeah but on the other hand, "It's Alpha, shut up and test it." - per the Blizzard CMs on the matter so far.

Pretty airtight counterargument if you ask me!

how lucky we are to possibly hand them money for this experience

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    i still can't believe tyrande just gets trueshot aura

like everyone's all oh man being able to get 10% AD from artifacts is so good and it's like dogs tyrande has been giving you that from day one

it might be the most impactful level 7 talent in the game

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Maledict66Maledict66 Registered User regular
    It's counterbalanced by the fact in many ways Tyrande acts as a much weaker Malfurion. She's much more of "MOAR DPS" support hero than a healer, and her talents reflect that.

• Options
    i think being a force multiplier is a much more useful feature than being a healer

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Well, Raynor gives nearly the same aura boost from his stim, and he's a lot more useful otherwise than Tyrande's crap skills + starfall.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/15056492/
    Artifacts were designed to provide you with a meaningful way to spend gold, while also providing additional options to customize your heroes. We wanted to test artifacts in the Alpha to find out if the system fulfilled those goals. As testing began, many of you voiced concerns around fairness issues, “correct build” issues, balance, new player tension, and other issues that made it clear that artifacts weren’t working as intended. We agree—those issues started to outweigh the benefits of the system.

As a result, we have decided to remove the artifact system from Heroes of the Storm with a patch scheduled for later today. We will explore different ways to give you fun and compelling options for spending gold, while avoiding the problems that the initial artifact system created. We don't have any updates on what our future systems may be, but we'll be sure to keep you informed and look forward to getting your feedback on alternate systems.

We’ve also seen a lot of feedback about changes we made to the talent unlocking system with our most recent patch. Our intention was to gradually expose new players to heroes and their talents, with meaningful progression that could be obtained relatively quickly on a per-hero basis. Since making this change, many of you have shared your frustration with the time it takes to unlock a hero’s talents.

Beginning with today’s scheduled patch, reaching hero level 4 will be more than three times faster than the original implementation. Unlocking all talents on a hero can be done in as few as three games with friends in versus mode. We hope this will achieve our goals for maintaining gradual talent exposure while lowering the barrier to entry substantially enough to be acceptable to the average player.

Additional feedback revealed that initial talents did not feel as powerful or optimal as later choices. We want all of a hero’s starting talent choices to be useful and viable. We’ll continue striving to meet this goal throughout the alpha, beta, and beyond, and we’d love to hear from you if you’ve got specific feedback on a hero’s starting talents.

tl;dr Blizz removing Artifacts entirely and significantly reducing games needed to unlock talents. Thank you Based Blizzard!

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    starfall isn't even her best skill! her best skill is a 12s cooldown that makes the target take 25% more damage!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Blizzard, it's times like this that I remember how cool you are. But you are also still a little bit silly, do you not realize that we have plenty of stuff to spend our gold on already?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    Blizzard, it's times like this that I remember how cool you are. But you are also still a little bit silly, do you not realize that we have plenty of stuff to spend our gold on already?

the fact that we have enough things to spend gold on doesn't mean that they don't want to give us more, so that we also spend money on things

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    True, and I accept that. I just really really prefer it be outside of gameplay as much as possible.

What are they doing for gold spent on Artifacts? Refunds? I hope they don't take away my gold stimulus :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

the fact that we have enough things to spend gold on doesn't mean that they don't want to give us more, so that we also spend money on things

Not everyone is going to want to catch 'em all with heroes. What they really need is some way to spend gold to further cosmetically customize the heroes you already have in a way less radical than many of the skins.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    True, and I accept that. I just really really prefer it be outside of gameplay as much as possible.

What are they doing for gold spent on Artifacts? Refunds? I hope they don't take away my gold stimulus :P

If I had to guess, they won't refund any gold spent on Artifacts, but they won't take away the extra gold given, either? MAYBE? I can hope so anyway.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Hats!

Steam profile
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Honestly, I think Tyrande is tied with Abathur for sheer complexity.

In the right hands, Tyrande can wreck a team worse than almost any other character. She is AMAZING in the hands of a skilled, experienced player.

But she also has the capacity to be dead weight on the team. She is a highly nuanced hero, and to be effective you have to understand those nuances. She is not an archer hero. That's Valla. She is not a healer. That's 3 or 4 other heroes.

She fills a very niche role, and in the right hands I have seen good Tyrandes do things that nobody else can do. I fear a well played Tyrande.

Note: I suck with Tyrande and I envy the people greatly who can do what I cannot. I'm one of those people who makes Tyrande look like a crap hero. But I know she has the potential to be awesome because I've been on the receiving end of a Tyrande-given asskicking.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    Hooray for getting rid of the artifacts. I'll be able to kill Arthas, Diablo, and Stitches with less than a full team! And I'll go back to not fearing Illidan at all.

Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    the only thing i fear about tyrande is losing out on the hunter's mark cooldown reduction level 1 because they'll just slam path of the wizard back in

e: pretty much the only thing i like about artifacts was making that talent not mandatory

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »

In the right hands, Tyrande can wreck a team worse than almost any other character. She is AMAZING in the hands of a skilled, experienced player.

But she also has the capacity to be dead weight on the team. She is a highly nuanced hero, and to be effective you have to understand those nuances. She is not an archer hero. That's Valla. She is not a healer. That's 3 or 4 other heroes.

She fills a very niche role, and in the right hands I have seen good Tyrandes do things that nobody else can do. I fear a well played Tyrande.

Note: I suck with Tyrande and I envy the people greatly who can do what I cannot. I'm one of those people who makes Tyrande look like a crap hero. But I know she has the potential to be awesome because I've been on the receiving end of a Tyrande-given asskicking.

Crazy Owl snipes put the fear of god in me. I will never know how they can pull that off.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    honestly i dont even see the need for gold in this game. its like they put gold in because games have gold and this is a game, and now they are trying to figure out how we can spend it. to me it feels like bloat. i don't see why they couldn't implement a system like 'play 3 games, unlock a hero free! play 6 more games, get your second hero free! every 10 games you play after, get your next hero free!'. you could use character levels for cosmetic unlocks like tints and portraits and hats or whatever and anything you want sooner you can just pay for it. they've done a great job making this a fun streamlined game, but when you step back and look at what gold achieves, i don't know that it's a necessary part of the game

battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Access to everything in a F2P game for under $2000? Heresy!

• Options
    edited August 2014
    it isn't necessary from a player's perspective

it is necessary to them, from their corporate, make-money perspective

e: i mean i know i keep beating the "blizz wants to make money lol" drum but everything about a f2p currency is very carefully calculated to get your wallet out

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

e: i mean i know i keep beating the "blizz wants to make money lol" drum but everything about a f2p currency is very carefully calculated to get your wallet out

Which I'm fine with in a lot of situations. I prefer it, actually, a lot of the time. Artifacts were just about the worst way to go though :P

Friend

Steam profile
  • Options
    Dibby wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Crazy Owl snipes put the fear of god in me. I will never know how they can pull that off.

i got killed from 75% in a single hit on nova from a cross map owl snipe once. it was the most baffled i've ever been at hots.

i do hope they add path of the wizard back in or just increase mana regen a bit, because without potw or the coin some characters are going to be painful. will be nice to be able to ever kill diablo again, last night we had multiple games where 3 or 4 heroes took 20+ seconds to kill equal level diablo just wailing on him.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

Which I'm fine with in a lot of situations. I prefer it, actually, a lot of the time. Artifacts were just about the worst way to go though :P

Friend

They were a way to try something that has been tried in another game (LoL) without needing far more artists than they likely have currently. Valve can make all heroes free in DotA2 because they have announcers, HUD skins, couriers, gems, gem tools, hats, gloves, shoulder pads, held items, ward skins, loading screens, treasure chests, treasure keys, events related to tournaments, and more they can monetize and tap their community to make more after building the infrastructure in TF2. It's not the kind of thing that can be put in quickly. But it is the best way we've seen to do it if a company invests the resources to make it happen.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular

Yeah. DOTA2 is proof you don't need to sell any gameplay in a F2P MOBA to make money. The International 2014 compendium alone made them $40 million gross (less the $10 million they were forced to spend on marketing their own game. The horror!) for comparatively modest development time. I really wish more people would copy their F2P model rather than LOL's.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Blizzard could easily sell particle effects and extra dodads for their character models, and they would make bank.

Using Stitches as the perfect example: They already have a skin for him with a Freddy mask, a Chef hat, and a royal crown. Obviously hats for Stitches are not that hard to get into the game. They could blow that up. Give us party hats, sailor hats, pirate hats, etc.

And for other characters, particle effects would be great. Charge $2.99 for a fiery sword effect on Tyrael. Bam! Free money. Give a puss effect to the nodules on the back of Abathur. More free money.

• Options
    Shit, I actually have the OP for the next thread finished, and now I need a new title to replace "Rehgar Earthfury and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Patch"

YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.