Options

Firewatch | First Person Narrative Exploration Wyoming Simulator | Out Now!

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited February 2016 in Games and Technology
Reviews
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d02lhvvVSy8

iAxXsoCtOg3RJ.png

29qJ2fh.png

w7Nafmd.jpg

bCqY27v.png
Firewatch is a first person exploration adventure game where you play as a man named Henry, who is a fire lookout in the Wyoming wilderness a little while after the Yellowstone fires of 1988.

wjZNoN3.png

Your only contact with the outside world is via your handheld radio, through which you talk to your supervisor, Delilah. Your first day on the job, something mysterious draws you out of your lookout, and from that point on you begin exploring the wilderness.

bGSkRJz.png

The game has a focus on narrative, dialog choice, natural conversations, exploration, and probably fire?

tf6729F.jpg

It's out for Windows, OSX, Linux, and PlayStation 4.

S6o9uSM.jpg

N5qv9DX.png
Firewatch was made by Campo Santo, a new video game company formed by the two lead writers of The Walking Dead (Sean Vanaman and Jake Rodkin), a lead designer of Mark of the Ninja (Nels Anderson), the guy who does all those sweet movie posters (Olly Moss), and other people. Check out the development blog for more information about the company and the game, or read the first Campo Santo Quarterly Review, compiled by the Campo Santo Ombudsman, to get a feel for the company.

nVZWQzI.jpg

ixt4zdWCsYii.png
ibzDFxAKX8bAVz.png

ieSS6BmNJ4RDK.png

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    Has too much potential to drop to the fourth page.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    New blog post:

tumblr_n4x52y6qIX1sikueao1_500.gif
    tumblr_n4x52y6qIX1sikueao3_400.jpgtumblr_n4x52y6qIX1sikueao4_400.jpg
    tumblr_n4x52y6qIX1sikueao2_500.gif
    Oh hello again.

I was working on materials today. I like doing these “before and after” shots to compare results, and also to show the team in our group chat to get feedback. I figured you all might like to see them too.

While we are aiming for a stylized aesthetic in Firewatch, we want the world to feel like a tangible real space for exploration. Paying attention to subtle surface detail makes a big difference between the space feeling like a toy versus a space that you can suspend disbelief in.

The shots labelled “Diffuse only” use basically a flat shader that takes a flat color map and nothing else. The ones labelled “with Gloss & Normal” have a diffuse color map, as well as a specular map telling the shader what areas are shiny, and a normal map adding the illusion of higher resolution details to flat geometry. (It is kind of a misnomer for me to say “gloss” in the image, because it technically did not have a gloss map yet but oh look at that shiny thing over there.)

The greyscale image is the specular map used on the white deck.

The blueish purple image is the normal map used on the white deck.

They are both generated using NDO2, which I just started evaluating today; it’s impressive.

• Options
    New blog post:

tumblr_n5kxhvF2WI1sikueao1_1280.jpg
    Summer is here, which strangely means I cook food that fills the office with heat. But summer is blueberry season, blueberry pie is delicious, and the office has windows and A/C.

Farmer’s Market Blueberry Pie

Crust
    Go buy your favorite store-bought, non-frozen pie crust. I think this was Safeway brand. I am not good enough at making pie crust for it to be worth it, and it requires planning for pie a day in advance, which is too long to wait.

Filling
    1 pint blueberries
    1 lemon, for both peel and juice
    1/4 cup tapioca pearls
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    Heavy pinch of cinnamon
    Heavy pinch of all-spice
    Hearty slug of brandy
    1/8 cup water
    1 tablespoon butter

Preheat your oven to 400°.

To make the filling, pour half of the blueberries and the water into a sauce pan over medium heat. Simmer until the blueberries are soft, then smush them with the back of a wooden spoon.

Add the sugar, the spices, the grated peel of lemon. This will cause foaming, so keep a sharp eye on this. Stir regularly to prevent scorching. Once this has reduced to a thick syrup, add the brandy, then kill the heat.

I don’t like my fruit pies overly sweet, so this is far less sugar then most recipes call for. If you do like your pies sweeter, feel free to adjust. Personally, I find fruit to be plenty sweet all on its own. And I feel less guilty about eating half a pie.

Let the filling set for a minute or two, then add the tapioca, and stir to combine.

Add the other half of the blueberries to the thick, lumpy syrup.

Pour into a pie pan, lined with dough.

Top with the juice of a lemon, and add the butter cut into tiny cubes.

Take a second piece of pie dough, and form a lattice on the top. There are great guides to making pie lattices online. Like this one: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_a_lattice_top_for_a_pie_crust/

Throw your pie in the oven for 40 to 50 minutes on the center rack. You want to bake it until the filling is making big slow bubbles up through the lattice. It should also have a golden brown crust and smell amazing. If you find the edges of the pie crust are cooking too fast, you can slow that down by placing a strip of aluminum foil covering the out edge of the crust, shiny side out. (The foil reflects the Infrared radiation from the heating elements in the oven, preventing much of the thermal energy from reaching the pie crust directly. Air is a terrible conductor.)

Once the pie is done baking, place it on a rack or your stove top to cool. I almost never let this cool enough, since I am not a patient man. Really, you want the pie to get cool enough to set through–it’ll be barely warm. I don’t mind runny pie, so I tend to attack early.

Blueberries won’t stay in season long, so get them while they are good.

If you want, you can freeze the filling for later. Instead of pouring the filling into a pie crust, pour it into a foil-wrapped pie tin. Let it cool completely, and then place it in the freezer. Once frozen hard, take it out of the foil and place it in an airtight container.

When you want pie later, take the pie disk out of the freezer, place into a pie dough lined pie tin, and toss in the over. You will want to cook it longer and at a lower temperature, until it starts bubbling.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I'm so excited for this. The art that's been shown so far is conjuring up memories of wandering in the backwoods in Alan Wake, which is a good thing

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yes, I will play this.

• Options
  • Options
    New blog post - experimental with first person animations. A sample:

tumblr_n5xq091yIj1sikueao1_r2_400.gif

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I'm a big huge fan of Idle Thumbs, the weekly podcast that these guys do, on which they talk about what games they're playing but in which they also dive deeply into the trials and tribulations (and triumphs!) of game development. They're great and I have really high hopes for this game.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    If there is anything I could conceivably type to encourage you more strongly to read the Campo Santo Quarterly Review Vol. 1 Issue 2 than this post you're reading right now, please imagine that I have typed that.

Meanwhile, the guy who did those animations above is benson, who has been a member of these forums since 2012! With zero posts. He also made, among other things, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nds1T7U9FqY

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Oh man this looks pretty cool. I grew up in Wyoming so there's some question as to whether they can really show just how beautiful the area can be.

For example, this is the church my family attended for many years. My dad used to give services there.
    9041713133_00a8696dee_z.jpg
    IMG_0755.JPG
    The glass window behind the altar faces Laramie Peak. The church is located in Esterbrook, quite a ways from Yellowstone but it should give you an idea as to just how amazing the scenery can be.

So on one hand, I'm super excited for this game. On the other, I'm fairly certain I'll be disappointed.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Two of the devs grew up in Wyoming too so it's not like they have no chance of making the game look nice.

• Options
    Oh, I have no doubt it'll look nice. I just think it'll be difficult for the devs to capture the real thing in a game.

• Options
    New blog post by the new graphics and engine programmer.

• Options
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the porky hands are makin me giggle

this shit looks interestin and should be great with a rift

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    New pretty pictures, including:

tumblr_n8gshhwaEu1sikueao2_1280.jpg

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I love Sean Vanaman's writing but I'm disappointed that it's going into yet another walking simulator.

• Options
    New programming/design blog post about the HUD and feedback.

• Options
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I would like to know more *bookmarks dev diary*

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Mmm. Love that Olly Moss touch.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Blog post about a new tool the programmer whipped up which also confirms that beer, whiskey, and antlers are in the game.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
  • Options
    Bullshit! I've never seen a nerd on a mountain before, other than myself of course, and my buddy Clint (but he was more of a moron than a nerd. Seriously who throws rocks at a moose? It's the size of a horse and has fucking antlers!) I'm fairly certain that I'm the only person who ever played Tie Fighter and hung out on the Rockies in the early 90s. Must be a brave new world.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Mountains are the nerd's natural enemy.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    this looks hella immersive :D

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Where is the trailer or the screenshot, I see neither.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    The game will premier at Saturday, August 30 at 10:30am in the Hedgehog Theatre at PAX. They'll show gameplay and a trailer. The presentation will also stream on twitch.tv and then of course it'll be online for everyone to watch.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Not a fan of the huge Pixar-hands.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    If I asked my supervisor if my fire lookout job was dangerous and they said, "PFFT. GETTING OUT OF THE SHOWER IS DANGEROUS KID. PEOPLE DIE FALLING OUT OF THE SHOWER ALL OF THE TIME," I'm pretty sure i'd go looking for new job.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Not a fan of the huge Pixar-hands.

Well if they wore some gloves during that rope descent, we wouldn't have to worry about the chubby hands.

Game looks interesting still though.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    This game looks güd,
    not a fan of the voice acting though.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    awwww yiss

immersive as hell :D

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    this shit looks doep

im ready to both walk and touch

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    If I asked my supervisor if my fire lookout job was dangerous and they said, "PFFT. GETTING OUT OF THE SHOWER IS DANGEROUS KID. PEOPLE DIE FALLING OUT OF THE SHOWER ALL OF THE TIME," I'm pretty sure i'd go looking for new job.

I mean, in a way being a firewatch lookout is both dangerous and boring. It's boring when there isn't a problem, but when there's a problem THERE'S A BIG PROBLEM.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I mean, in a way being a firewatch lookout is both dangerous and boring. It's boring when there isn't a problem, but when there's a problem THERE'S A BIG PROBLEM.

Also, there are pretty clearly some emotional shenanigans going on.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Also, there are pretty clearly some emotional shenanigans going on.

Yup. It seems a bit too telegraphed, but it's still early.

I guess I'm just a bit let down. I knew walking through an Olly Moss drawing would be impossible, but the game does just seem like it's only slightly Moss-ified. I was expecting like an Unfinished Swan type thing. Also, being a firewatch lookout seems like an interesting enough plot without drama stuff. You're out there by yourself for months.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00