As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Firewatch | First Person Narrative Exploration Wyoming Simulator | Out Now!

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    This game looks pretty great. Still dying to know if there's a supernatural element in those woods. Game has the vibe of a horror movie before everything goes bad to me. Which is great. Can't wait to play it.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    Awesome video. Not at all what I was expecting but definitely a day one purchase still. I thought it was gonna be very quiet, ambient, no voice acting, no humor.

And I couldn't put my finger on the voice and had to look it up, but it's Harry Crane from Mad Men.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    heh, they registered the best new URL http://whatisfire.watch/

(might only get the joke if you are a giantbomb fan)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Considering the lead artist is tweeting about how awesome whoever registered that domain is, it probably was some fan.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    Zenitram wrote: »
    Awesome video. Not at all what I was expecting but definitely a day one purchase still. I thought it was gonna be very quiet, ambient, no voice acting, no humor.

And I couldn't put my finger on the voice and had to look it up, but it's Harry Crane from Mad Men.

That's Rich Sommer, avid boardgamer and all-around great guy, too.

• Options
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    Just paid upfront for it. Have been excited for this since the first trailers - this is a great month for games.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    From the RPS review - not a spoiler about story and anything, just a thing you can do in the game
    At a certain point you find a disposable cardboard camera with most of its film still available, and are encouraged by Delilah to take some snaps of anything you find interesting. And it’s worth doing so, because as well as a nice little surprise toward the end, once you’ve filled your film a menu option becomes available to have them processed and delivered to your real-world house as glossy photographs. It’s about $20, via a website to which the game’s menu will link

Fuck, that's cool.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    From the RPS review - not a spoiler about story and anything, just a thing you can do in the game
    At a certain point you find a disposable cardboard camera with most of its film still available, and are encouraged by Delilah to take some snaps of anything you find interesting. And it’s worth doing so, because as well as a nice little surprise toward the end, once you’ve filled your film a menu option becomes available to have them processed and delivered to your real-world house as glossy photographs. It’s about $20, via a website to which the game’s menu will link

Fuck, that's cool.

Whoa, that is neat.

Really excited for this game, and actually glad that it's bite-sized and can be consumed in a few short sittings (or one longer sitting). Also, for those of you trawling through reviews and impressions, don't read The Verge's review. It seems pretty spoilery to me, and I'm mad that I read it.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Really interested in playing this but with how many other good things there are at the moment this will probably have to wait a bit. Still dying to know if there's anything supernatural at play but avoiding looking it up if at all possible. The preview footage I've seen of that one day looks great.

• Options
    LehmanLehman Registered User regular
    Kind of surprised there isn't more chatter about this. I have loosely followed the game and just saw on IGN that it is releasing tomorrow and I am def going to give it a go. Thankfully, I will be going into the game spoiler-free which is an accomplishment in these times.

Xbox Live: LehmanCM
    SteamID: steamcommunity.com/id/lehmancm/
    BnS: Draggan (Server:Poharan)
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I've watched the material available pre-release (end of Chapter 2, I believe) and it's got its claws in. It's got little touches everywhere that aren't explicitly pointed out that skirt around the edges of the narrative in a Gone Home sort of way. Bloody lovely stuff

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Just a heads up if anyone is on the fence like I was about getting this on PS4 or PC, apparently the PS4 version has some serious performance issues:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Firewatch/comments/44s8no/sounds_like_significant_ps4_performance_issues/

Devs responded saying "we're working on it", but still.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The mystery of the game is kinda working against it.

Like, I look at the game and see something with the feel of The Long Dark, but driven by a narrative experience instead of being totally sandbox (Long Dark is sandbox-only right now). This really appeals to me.

At the same time, I've got no interest in this if it's going to be one of those 2-3 hour one-offs with little to no replayability and also almost zero opportunity to actually sink my teeth into the game, because it's over by the time it begins.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I saw the trailer for this today. It is super interesting and mysterious. I think I will just buy it tomorrow without knowing a single thing about it.

• Options

Like, I look at the game and see something with the feel of The Long Dark, but driven by a narrative experience instead of being totally sandbox (Long Dark is sandbox-only right now). This really appeals to me.

At the same time, I've got no interest in this if it's going to be one of those 2-3 hour one-offs with little to no replayability and also almost zero opportunity to actually sink my teeth into the game, because it's over by the time it begins.

5-6 hours to be more exact, but yes, it certainly is one of those games.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Uh

No joke this actually makes me want to get this on PS4 instead of PC.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    this game is going to be meme-fucking-tastic

im fully ready to say stupid shit into a walkie talkie and not get bored by puzzle mechanics that wear themselves out sry jblow

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Shame. 5-6 hours makes it iffy, but recently playing the Vanishing of Ethan Carter left a bad taste in my mouth on that front; it wasn't a bad experience, I've just got little to no interest in settings steeped in great atmosphere that pull the rug out from under you just as you really start to appreciate everything. I always end up feeling robbed at the end, and not in the sense that I feel like I wasted my money.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Uh

No joke this actually makes me want to get this on PS4 instead of PC.

The theme is a separate purchase. It's discounted if you buy it at the same time on PS4, but you can get it separately.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular

Shame. 5-6 hours makes it iffy, but recently playing the Vanishing of Ethan Carter left a bad taste in my mouth on that front; it wasn't a bad experience, I've just got little to no interest in settings steeped in great atmosphere that pull the rug out from under you just as you really start to appreciate everything. I always end up feeling robbed at the end, and not in the sense that I feel like I wasted my money.

It's only 20 bucks.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »

It's only 20 bucks.

I mean he mentioned that he doesn't think it's because he wasted his money - no matter how cheap or expensive it is, generally speaking he just wants more time in those worlds than he gets.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    One thing I saw said about tweaking the game experience that I'm definitely going to do:

There's an option you can enable to stop your current position from being labeled on the map when you check it, so it's like actually using a map and learning the layout of the wilderness.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Anybody know when its actually going to release on the system? Its 02/09/2016 and PSN still does not have it available.

• Options
    PC is the usual 10 am Pacific, worldwide, which is becoming really common.

• Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Been waiting for months to get this. Not in the playstation store yet. Come on psn!

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Man, somehow this whole development cycle went riiight past my radar, straight from seeing the Olly Moss concept art sometime last summer, and now, I'm pleased and surprised that there appears to be this fully formed first person adventure title awash in a ruddy glow with voice acting and everything!

Hell, I even got back into Steam, just for this and the soundtrack! Now to wait for the unlocking.

EDIT:

Say, for a schmo who isn't up on how the kids do things these days, how should I expect the soundtrack component of my wonderful new Wyoming adventure simulator to work? Will it drop with the game? Will the soundtrack be playable only in Steam? How is this sort of thing handled, generally?

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    I'm not sure I'd be into games like this. The various videos have me interested but I'm not sure how well a game with no classic gameplay will interest me. It's essentially you just moving through the story with no real choices or puzzles. I'll wait and see what people's impressions here are I think.

• Options
  • Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    Is it on psn yet? I wanted to download it while at work so it was ready to play when I got home.

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    Say, for a schmo who isn't up on how the kids do things these days, how should I expect the soundtrack component of my wonderful new Wyoming adventure simulator to work? Will it drop with the game? Will the soundtrack be playable only in Steam? How is this sort of thing handled, generally?
    When the game releases, there'll be a folder in your Steam Firewatch folder with a bunch of mp3s in it. It's not exactly the cleanest setup in the world, but you can take those and copy them wherever. (You can also play them through Steam's built-in music player but eh. It is handy for getting to the folder quickly though.)

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »
    Is it on psn yet? I wanted to download it while at work so it was ready to play when I got home.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/firewatch/cid=UP0146-CUSA04107_00-FIREWATCH0000000

You guys will have to let me know how the PS4 version of the game is. If it runs at a solid 60fps I may pick it up over the PC version.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Errr...early reports are terrible framerates for PS4.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Oh I see, http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/campo-santo-aware-of-firewatchs-poor-ps4-frame-rate-working-on-a-fix-799955.

That's pretty disappointing. It sounds like even if they patch it they are only targeting 30fps on the PS4, which is a shame because the system has pretty light PC requirements.

How is it on the PC, any performance issues or are those localized to the PS4 port?

EDIT: Reading about how bad the framerate is on the PS4 actually leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth. They must have known before they pushed it out and still released it anyway. Really poor way to start a relationship with customers. I think I'll just wait for a sale on this game or take a pass all together.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    The framerate is supposedly ok on PC but the way the world streams is supposed to cause constant stuttering from loading. PS4 version has that as well as low FPS. Might be a RAM issue, I dunno I have not purchased it.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    Have played 90 minutes or so on PC. I have a R9 290, and have experienced zero stuttering or frame issues.

The colour palettes in this game are gorgeous. Delilah is one of my favourite characters of the year, and I'm identifying with Henry in a rather large capacity.

Exploration is fun, the map system brings me back to my Scouting days, and it never feels like 'busy work' because you're constantly given things to look at or talk about.

I'm really, really enjoying this. Well done Campo Santo.

• Options
    I'm really digging the writing in this game.