As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Fucking Thread About the 2016 Elections, Seriously, What the Hell, I Don't Even

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Obama on the supreme court would make me happy

because every single one of his opinions would drive conservatives mad forever mwahahaha

Obama has demonstrated that his grasp of the law is far more tenuous than we should expect from a SCOTUS judge. I know this sort of thing gets the thread's GOP-hate boner super hard, but seriously.

He's a mediocre jurist at best, with no credentials to speak of and no experience deciding case law at all. He's never argued a major issue before any court, never clerked for a judge of note anywhere, and never demonstrated while President that he has much of a grasp of the nuances of Constitutional law.

Dude would be a really bad justice. There are easily a dozen progressive federal judges who would be better suited.

spool32 on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

because every single one of his opinions would drive conservatives mad forever mwahahaha

Obama has demonstrated that his grasp of the law is far more tenuous than we should expect from a SCOTUS judge. I know this sort of thing gets the thread's GOP-hate boner super hard, but seriously.

He's a mediocre jurist at best, with no credentials to speak of and no experience deciding case law at all. He's never argued a major issue before any court, never clerked for a judge of note anywhere, and never demonstrated while President that he has much of a grasp of the nuances of Constitutional law.

Dude would be a really bad justice. There are easily a dozen progressive federal judges who would be better suited.

...Constitutional Law is his specialty. What the fuck are you talking about?

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Obama has demonstrated that his grasp of the law is far more tenuous than we should expect from a SCOTUS judge...

Which specific current SCOTUS judges did you have in mind?

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

...Constitutional Law is his specialty. What the fuck are you talking about?

The difference between people who teach Constitutional law for a little while and contribute nothing notable to the discipline before leaving for politics, and the people who drown themselves in it for 30 years and author authoritative decisions that guide national precedent. The difference between being a guy who teaches others about decisions as an associate professor, and a person who creates them as his life's work.

I think Obama would readily admit that any of his SCOTUS choices are more qualified to sit on the bench than he is, because Obama doesn't suffer from hubris and is generally a decent and intelligent person who understands where his abilities lay. Arguing that he'd be a great SCOTUS justice because of his comparatively minimal education and work history is silly.

Also it highlights the disconnect between people who think that college prepares you for doing something at the highest level, and people who do things at the highest level. :P

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Obama would actually be the most highly qualified constitutional scholar that had been put on the court in a generation.

Supreme Court Justices traditionally haven't had any sort of requirement to actually sit on the bench before being nominated. That's a very recent thing.

Frankly, if any life path is going to prepare you to oversee our nation's laws, community organizer to constitutional law professor to senator to president is probably the best you can do.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    V1m wrote: »

Obama has demonstrated that his grasp of the law is far more tenuous than we should expect from a SCOTUS judge...

Which specific current SCOTUS judges did you have in mind?

All 9 of them. :P

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Maybe Obama can find someone to publish a posthumous autobiography, kind of like Gerald Ford's Write It When I'm Gone.

I wonder if we could convince the Onion to sponsor a "Diamond" Joe Biden presidential run. I'd donate.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    lol OK guys. You enjoy yourselves with the political fan service.

I've said about all on this silly tangent that I'm willing to. :)

spool32 on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    I just want to read the book he writes about his Presidency.

And that book will be called "Seriously, Fuck Those Guys."

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I love how all Obama threads become 2016 threads and apparently the 2016 thread becomes an Obama thread within 7 pages.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Trying to keep any given thread about a particular political topic from devolving into a general US politics thread is, I think, one of the more Sisyphean tasks the moderation staff has ever taken on. It speaks volumes that they consider it preferable to just allowing a general US politics thread to exist.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So anyways, who are we liking for the republican primary?

Right now, I can't help but feel that Santorum will bubble up out of the crack if only because he got so damn far in 2012 and his opposition isn't likely to return (Newt nearly went bankrupt and Ron Paul seems pretty much done with politics) for a second go.

Palin and Bachman might nut up and have a go if the field is weak enough, and both of them have a lot of appeal with the Teapers.

There was a time when Christie had a lot of potential; he was no friend to the democrats but when his state was hurt during the storm he had no problem bitching congress out (and earning himself credibility with moderates). Too bad he pissed it away with a petty action involving a bridge.

Rand paul maybe? If his dad is done then it may just fall to him to carry the standard for libertarians.

Can anyone think of anyone else who is probably gonna represent the R's?

• Options
    Paul is running, 100% for sure.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So anyways, who are we liking for the republican primary?

Right now, I can't help but feel that Santorum will bubble up out of the crack if only because he got so damn far in 2012 and his opposition isn't likely to return (Newt nearly went bankrupt and Ron Paul seems pretty much done with politics) for a second go.

Santorum will try his hardest, especially since he became the new "winner" to ascend to the general.
    Palin and Bachman might nut up and have a go if the field is weak enough, and both of them have a lot of appeal with the Teapers.

Palin will be there strictly for the $$$, she'll get from the promotions and another opportunity to rip off her fans like the grifter she is. Bachman will show up to win the prize.
    There was a time when Christie had a lot of potential; he was no friend to the democrats but when his state was hurt during the storm he had no problem bitching congress out (and earning himself credibility with moderates). Too bad he pissed it away with a petty action involving a bridge.

I wouldn't rule him out completely. The traffic scandal did open up an angle for his opponents to attack him from.
    Rand paul maybe? If his dad is done then it may just fall to him to carry the standard for libertarians.

Agreed.
    Can anyone think of anyone else who is probably gonna represent the R's?

What's Bobby Jindal been up to?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Bobby Jindal might run if he is desperate to waste time and money.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The thing with scandals and republicans is that the base truly believes they're all smears and hit tactics by the moonbats, libtards, etc etc that only embolden that party to vote harder.

Crayon on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Crayon wrote: »
    The thing with scandals and republicans is that the base truly believes they're all smears and hit tactics by the moonbats, libtards, etc etc that only embolden that party to vote harder.

The trouble with Christie's scandal is that there are federal prosecutors sniffing around. The party is going to be reluctant to back a candidate who may be indicted halfway through the election season. This is also going to make any run by Scott Walker a tough sell.

The other problem with Christie is that he's got the Guilliani issue in the South. One thing the Republican Party hasn't quite wrapped its head around is the massive antipathy any overtly "Yankee" politician is going to have in the region. The type of Southerners who embrace the Republican Party are also the type to still have real strong feelings about people from the Northeast.

It's a thing.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Christies "he bitched out Congress for aid" line kinda got soiled by him using that relief money to fucking with Democratic politicians

• Options
    The thing to remember is that the Republican Primary isn't necessarily determined by a rational group assessment of General Election electability.

This is a group of people that looked like they might pick Rick Santorum last time.

If Christie or Perry or Walker can turn their legal troubles into a positive ("liberal witch hunt"), then it will be a boon in the primary rather than a downside.

The money guys on that side of the aisle may be reluctant to step up and support someone with an indictment, but that isn't the only thing at play here.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

I don't seriously think Obama would be a good justice choice compared to who's available. A "really bad justice"? I don't really see how, look at the current court

he'd be better than Thomas for sure but a magic 8 ball would have a more thoughtful and coherent record than Thomas. Actually I think he'd probably be better than Scalia, and Kennedy too, but that's only because I think many of their opinions are based on outdated personal ideals

but yes objectively Obama would be a bad serious pick for SCOTUS, it'd be an overly political pick, plus he probably wouldn't take it, he can do more good as an ex president

override367 on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Thomas record is coherent in the strict definition of the word. It is also like a hundred and fifty years out of date. He is really quite consistent(ly wrong) in his arguments.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Not to mention the only time it has ever happened in the history of the country was Taft.

I don't want Obama stuck in the cloister working on cases; I want him and michelle to be "boots on the ground" for the party for years to come.

Give me another Sotomayor over an Obama any day in that post. I want Obama stumping for Elizabeth Warren in 2024.

edit: check that. I just saw that Warren is only two years younger than Hillary Clinton. Why are so many people freaked about Hill's age but not hers?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Because Warren isn't the presumptive nominee. And she's been pretty clear that she doesn't want the big chair.

Senators can be old as dirt and be fine. Their level of responsibility and day-to-day stress is orders of magnitude below the president's.

• Options
    HuuHuu Registered User regular
    Christies "he bitched out Congress for aid" line kinda got soiled by him using that relief money to fucking with Democratic politicians

Which is another plus with the base. So far the bridge scandal have given Christie 2 things:
    1) a plus for standing up and not folding when the "liberal hate media"/Obamachine plotted against him
    2) a plus for using funds for the single reason to punish liberals for no reason

If he runs he will be a strong candidate in the republican primary.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Christie
    Paul Ryan
    Rand Paul
    Marco Rubio maybe?
    Jeb Bush will sit this one out.

Hillary running will be bullshit accusations of sexism for 2 years. Things will get more partisan, more vicious, more hateful, and more intolerable to listen to from the left.

I have a stomach ache thinking about it. Some of you guys are going to be truly unreadable. :(

spool32 on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Because Warren isn't the presumptive nominee. And she's been pretty clear that she doesn't want the big chair.

Senators can be old as dirt and be fine. Their level of responsibility and day-to-day stress is orders of magnitude below the president's.

I'm not referring to Warren as Senator.

I am referring to the many people in this thread and others who are wanting Warren to run instead of Hillary.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Christie
    Paul Ryan
    Rand Paul
    Marco Rubio maybe?

Hillary running will be bullshit accusations of sexism for 2 years. Things will get more partisan, more vicious, more hateful, and more intolerable to listen to from the left.

I have a stomach ache thinking about it. Some of you guys are going to be truly unreadable. :(

It would be refreshing if both parties would nominate women for the top ticket so we didn't have to listen to either side saying, "look, we did it first, the other side is the sexists you shouldn't vote for!"

• Options
    Or if actual sexism was objected to instead of brushed off as partisan bullshit. Because God knows there's a lot of it aimed at Hillary Clinton.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Christie
    Paul Ryan
    Rand Paul
    Marco Rubio maybe?

If it makes you feel any better I am sure many of us (and definitely me) are not looking forward to how that campaign will go on either side.
    syndalis wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »

I'm not referring to Warren as Senator.

I am referring to the many people in this thread and others who are wanting Warren to run instead of Hillary.

Simply put most of us really like Warren and only accept Hillary has best situated to win.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Christie
    Paul Ryan
    Rand Paul
    Marco Rubio maybe?

It would be refreshing if both parties would nominate women for the top ticket so we didn't have to listen to either side saying, "look, we did it first, the other side is the sexists you shouldn't vote for!"

That's not why the Democrats think the GOP are sexists. They have had female candidates run for presidency and VP slot, unfortunately they gave such valuable positions to people like Palin.

• Options
    Or if actual sexism was objected to instead of brushed off as partisan bullshit. Because God knows there's a lot of it aimed at Hillary Clinton.

differentiating between the two will be labelled sexist :(

Christie
    Paul Ryan
    Rand Paul
    Marco Rubio maybe?

Condi Rice 2016

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Christie
    Paul Ryan
    Rand Paul
    Marco Rubio maybe?

edit fuck it i'm not picking a fight.

but this is a goosey post

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    Condi Rice 2016

Wouldn't get through the primary. As much as I loathe her among the current crop she's a rational thinker.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

differentiating between the two will be labelled sexist :(

Christie
    Paul Ryan
    Rand Paul
    Marco Rubio maybe?

Condi Rice 2016

Ahhh, she's busy with sports stuff isn't she? Like seriously.

• Options
    She is in fact on the committee that determines who gets into college football's new playoff, yes.

• Options
    Interesting! I did not know that.

Well she'll never get anywhere in politics by alienating a bunch of college football fans :)

• Options
    That's an acceptable way to throw your power around post politics, in my book.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Christie
    Paul Ryan
    Rand Paul
    Marco Rubio maybe?

We'll have 2 years of Rush calling Hilary a cow everyday then yelling WHY ARE YOU CALLING US SEXISTS from every corner of the GOP

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Christie
    Paul Ryan
    Rand Paul
    Marco Rubio maybe?

super happy to oblige!

• Options
    Christie
    Paul Ryan
    Rand Paul
    Marco Rubio maybe?

We'll have 2 years of Rush calling Hilary a cow everyday then yelling WHY ARE YOU CALLING US SEXISTS from every corner of the GOP

yeah, we'll have that too.

It's going to be a shitshow all the way around. I would really love to be done being ashamed of my side of the aisle.