As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This just in: Old games come to [Steam]!

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I want to pick up Ironclad Tactics from the Humble Store for cheap, but from what I've seen, the real time aspect of it kinda scares me. I like what are essentially card battles games, but to not have time to think?

Anyone who owns it, is the game more fun than tough, or vice versa?

@drascin Remember Me is probably worth the 6 dollars, but if you have other stuff you KNOW you're gonna buy, then you can probably wait till the sale. Especially if you have a large backlog and won't get around to playing/beating it. THEN it probably feels more like a waste of money.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Yesssssss! Finally, two whole nights off work :D
    I probably should've saved Enslaved for these two nights. After 3 weeks of constant work, it's gonna be weird not watching the clock :D

• Options
    Also, anyone own Door Kickers? Is it as strict as a game like say, Frozen Synapse? I'm tired of walking into a room and scanning left and getting shot right, or vice versa.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    I beat a game guys!

Borderlands 2, so I'm incredibly behind on the curve, but hey. I did it. I did a thing. And at least it was a better ending than the first game.

If it helps, after a burst of enthusiasm last month, I still haven't finished Borderlands 2. On the other hand, my thread inspired replay of ME2 is going well.

Annoyingly, I actually found the saves from my last ME1/2 playthrough on an old backup drive yesterday - but there doesn't seem to be a way to merge the old and new player profiles (for achievements and whatnot).

On the gripping hand, my Vanguard is a BEAST. Not quite the human wrecking ball of ME1, but we're getting there...

• Options
    LehmanLehman Registered User regular
    Been away from PC gaming for a while and pretty much gaming in general but i built a new gaming rig and have started messing around with D3 and some games on steam so if I could get a group invite that would be awesome. Been messing around with the demo for Running with rifles and its pretty damn fun and seems like it'd be even better with a group of people. Steam id: lehmancm

Xbox Live: LehmanCM
    SteamID: steamcommunity.com/id/lehmancm/
    BnS: Draggan (Server:Poharan)
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I got the Sims bug and though well, it must be pretty cheap on Steam right now, what with a new version being out... Oh ahaha, no.

Subtotal: $389.81

Seriously, EA? That's roughly $10 less than what I'm buying an iPhone Plus for.

Invisible on
  • Options
    Invisible wrote: »
    I got the Sims bug and though well, it must be pretty cheap on Steam right now, what with a new version being out... Oh ahaha, no.

Coulda sworn some Sims game was either free or really cheap on Origin. Might have been in a Humble Bundle.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

EA doesn't understand the concept of "sale" for anything.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    PqQs3cF.png

@BigDes‌ dislikes birds and decided to express this hatred by gifting me a game about dating them, then displaying incredulity that I would find this concept amusing.

Thanks, Des!

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

Coulda sworn some Sims game was either free or really cheap on Origin. Might have been in a Humble Bundle.

The Sims 2 Ultimate Edition was free for a brief period to rouse some excitement for the release of The Sims 4, but I don't think it's still a thing

P.S. Don't buy The Sims 4, not for a long while at least. My missus, who is a Sims maniac, recommends Sims 2 if you want full control over peoples lives and Sims 3 if you want more options with house design.

edit: Yes Geth, hail hydra indeed

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sims 4 is the kind of game I'd have to wait 2 or 3 expansions before looking at. I was just hoping Sims 3 would go on sale, because every, single expansion is still at least $20. Most of them don't even add that much beyond decorations.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I have no mouth and must scream

Loading...?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Sims 4 is the kind of game I'd have to wait 2 or 3 expansions before looking at. I was just hoping Sims 3 would go on sale, because every, single expansion is still at least $20. Most of them don't even add that much beyond decorations.

That's pretty, pretty awful. But we live in the hallowed world of Gaben, so maybe our outlook is skewed

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    While the pathfinding for the Walrus is horrid, its still nice to sweep over the landscape with mantas, scout out the terrain, inch forward the Walrus groups, slowly taking over bases, ordering resupply, docking, etc. (didn't know I could order them to restock from the overhead map).

Not to mention the screams of agony from the robots.......wait......shit! Where did those guys come from?

• Options
    BigDes wrote: »
    I have no mouth and must scream

Loading...?

I'm sorry, I took this! Thanks! Downloading it now.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    The Seahawk's lost today, so this week's giftaway is just Vanilla Skyrim.

signature.png

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    In other news, hm. How worth it would you guys say Remember Me is? It's been sort of interesting me forever, but these next months are going to be REALLY painful on the wallet, what with Smash Bros coming out double and Civilization Beyond Earth and several awesome DLC packs and I don't even know what the hell else, so I'm trying to be a bit frugal.

Exellent world-building, stunning aesthetic, decennt Arkham-y combat and some genuinely original ideas, all wrapped up with a bloody excellent female protagonist. Very worth it, but also likely to be at a similar discount come the Thanksgiving/Winter sales, so fret not if you have to pass for now.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    metal-sound-track.png

Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain just popped up on Steam.

They actually showed up right after they announced the PC versions almost a month ago.

• Options
    While the pathfinding for the Walrus is horrid, its still nice to sweep over the landscape with mantas, scout out the terrain, inch forward the Walrus groups, slowly taking over bases, ordering resupply, docking, etc. (didn't know I could order them to restock from the overhead map).

Not to mention the screams of agony from the robots.......wait......shit! Where did those guys come from?

It really, really is.

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    o4k5jltfsdph.jpg

Hrmm...gonna have to get that guy a touch smaller, i think.

Anyhow, two quick questions, oh SteamThread.

First, i've got a couple of unredeemed HumbleBundle games i was thinking of fobbing off through SteamGifts, but i'm not entirely sure how to do so. It seems the FAQ is focused on games bought as gifts through Steam.

Second, next week is my set-aside time to get through Borderlands (the first), i've been wavering between Roland and Lilith (Brick and Mordecai don't interest me all that much). Thoughts? Advice? What'd'ya thinks?

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Been spending yet more time in Sims 4, restarted with a nice modern-style starter home I found on the gallery since I suck at building myself.

My painter Sim is working on adding to the décor:

h3UQUfl.jpg

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    @Lehman, post a link to your profile page.
    o4k5jltfsdph.jpg

First, i've got a couple of unredeemed HumbleBundle games i was thinking of fobbing off through SteamGifts, but i'm not entirely sure how to do so. It seems the FAQ is focused on games bought as gifts through Steam.

Second, next week is my set-aside time to get through Borderlands (the first), i've been wavering between Roland and Lilith (Brick and Mordecai don't interest me all that much). Thoughts? Advice? What'd'ya thinks?

@chris: waffle king:

I'm a Lilith main all the way, although she's a bit (alright, a lot) OP about halfway through the game. Phasewalk is just so much better than any other special ability. It's also incredibly fun and can be built out in multiple viable ways (invisi-shotgun-surprise, escape any danger, melt everything and then burn it, melee power house, etc.)

Roland's solid too (and a good man). I probably played him second most of my BL playtime, then Mordecai and then Brick (who never appealed to me. Why a melee character in a game about guns? Different strokes, I guess.)

There's a bunch of info on how the four classes play, as well as a ton of other new player tips and general info, in one of the old Borderlands thread OP's, like this one.

Have fun! Don't let your jaw hit the ground when the game actually starts giving you orange weapons! ;)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    o4k5jltfsdph.jpg

Doing Steamgifts with keys, or humble bundle links is much the same as doing it with gifts purchased via Steam. First, you make your giveaway in Steamgifts. Just a warning, make sure you've got everything right, once you set the giveaway, you can't go back and change it. Things like the start and end times and making sure it's set up as a group giveaway are the things I always double check.

If you want to put one of the nifty clickable banners in the thread for your giveaway, there will be a button on your giveaway page.

v0nJCVB.jpg

Just copy and paste that into the thread and you're set!

Then, wait! Once the giveaway is over, just send the humble link, or the key to the person who won. You can do it via Steam, or email (steamgifts will give you the winner's email address), or if they're members here, via PM. Make sure you mark the game sent. The winner will then mark the game received, and the giveaway will be over!

I hope this helps a little.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I love how "Forum Signature" on SteamGifts is still listed as (New).

It has been there for what seems like years now!

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Just going to repost this if there's anything folks might want. I lived through my son's birthday, including a five kid sleepover this weekend that felt like it was never going to end! Had a great time with Murder Miners on Friday with everyone too...even if it was pretty much the only time I was able to get near my pc all weekend (it was pretty much a Minecraft box the past few days).
    Looks like I've got a bunch of codes too! Kind of a nice surprise feature for them to add. I will warn you though - if you want one, it may take me until tomorrow to send them out. My son turns 10 today so we'll be busy this evening, followed by me drinking heavily and plucking out grey hairs until bedtime.
    Origin:
    Dead Space
    Mirror's Edge
    Burnout Paradise

Steam:
    Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
    Greed Corp
    Incredipede
    Medal of Honor
    Orcs Must Die! GOTY
    Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
    Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    So I bought a 500 GB SSD and copied my stuff over.

HOW DID I EVER LIVE WITHOUT THIS?!?!?!

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Well, you can do without the stuff packs, THOSE don't add much beyond decorations, but every one of hte actual expansions adds new game content and mechanics.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options

Because $texas?

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Icemopper wrote: »
    I love how "Forum Signature" on SteamGifts is still listed as (New).

It has been there for what seems like years now!

Ha ha ha, yes that sure is funny.
    It is also possible that particular OP image is due for an update... Shhhh. ;)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Bleh, I was hoping they'd have updated the Ground Zeroes info with min sys requirements by now. Oh well.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

Because $texas?

...fair enough.

I mean, I did have a 1 TB hard drive before, and I do miss the space, but alas, almost no loading times is worth it. I'll just get another 500 GB when I get the money.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Because $texas?

...fair enough.

I mean, I did have a 1 TB hard drive before, and I do miss the space, but alas, almost no loading times is worth it. I'll just get another 500 GB when I get the money.

Use both?

I mean, I love my SSD (best single component upgrade ever), but I still use all three of my 1TB SATA drives for storage (and most Steam games, to be honest).

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    @iolo psst...hey kid...wanna new op image?
    sy4TZKS.jpg

• Options

Because $texas?

...fair enough.

Use both?

I mean, I love my SSD (best single component upgrade ever), but I still use all three of my 1TB SATA drives for storage (and most Steam games, to be honest).

Well I would but I'd rather put it in my PS3 which had a 40GB drive before.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Last night, I got to put about 3 more hours into Alice: The Madness Returns and I need to say another big "thank you" to @Pixelated Pixie and @Lindsay Lohan because I'm really loving my new computer (EDIT: D'oh! Forgot to mention that they provided the mobo, CPU, RAM and GPU for free!). Games play so much smoother and look so much nicer than they did on my laptop. Not to mention the part where I'm not having to worry about burning my hand by resting it on the plastic above the GPU or have the laptop precariously hanging off the side of the TV table so that the GPU exhaust isn't blocked.

I also wanted to post a few more thoughts about Alice while I'm here. The first is that I absolutely love the gothic feel and dark stylised look of the game. I'm actually really interested in seeing where this narrative is going because the game is starting to get pretty twisted in an awesome way (including statues of disemboweled dancing owls that I took a picture in front of to remember the moment). The platforming has been good and the combat is actually pretty satisfying with multiple weapons picked up through the game. While wailing people with a hobby horse is effective, it's just not as satisfying as slicing up your enemies as a gothic Alice wielding a vorpal sword that looks like a kitchen knife.

Basically, if you like dark, fantastical settings and visuals and stories, that is what this game does best. If that's your thing, I highly recommend checking it out.

Link to my Alice screenshots

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The no brainer PC upgrade for years was RAM (remember that "needs more RAM" meme?), but the current no brainer upgrade for PCs is definitely an SSD.

Even if it's a cheapo 60GB that you use solely for your OS and a game or two, an SSD will be a noticeable and immediate upgrade no matter how current your system is, and no matter what you use it for. It's basically a drop in turbo for your computer.

I would place an SSD on equal footing with a good monitor and a good mechanical keyboard for devices that will add significantly to increasing the quality of life measurement in a person's PC usage.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Last night, I got to put about 3 more hours into Alice: The Madness Returns and I need to say another big "thank you" to @Pixelated Pixie and @Lindsay Lohan because I'm really loving my new computer. Games play so much smoother and look so much nicer than they did on my laptop. Not to mention the part where I'm not having to worry about burning my hand by resting it on the plastic above the GPU or have the laptop precariously hanging off the side of the TV table so that the GPU exhaust isn't blocked.

I also wanted to post a few more thoughts about Alice while I'm here. The first is that I absolutely love the gothic feel and dark stylised look of the game. I'm actually really interested in seeing where this narrative is going because the game is starting to get pretty twisted in an awesome way (including statues of disemboweled dancing owls that I took a picture in front of to remember the moment). The platforming has been good and the combat is actually pretty satisfying with multiple weapons picked up through the game. While wailing people with a hobby horse is effective, it's just not as satisfying as slicing up your enemies as a gothic Alice wielding a vorpal sword that looks like a kitchen knife.

Basically, if you like dark, fantastical settings and visuals and stories, that is what this game does best. If that's your thing, I highly recommend checking it out.

Link to my Alice screenshots
    Don't forget to edit the INI to get access to all the special edition goodies (Yeah. I'm not joking) It's all just a true-false option in the INI file. Comes with special costumes that do stuff, and also a new version of each weapon.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I want to pick up Ironclad Tactics from the Humble Store for cheap, but from what I've seen, the real time aspect of it kinda scares me. I like what are essentially card battles games, but to not have time to think?

Anyone who owns it, is the game more fun than tough, or vice versa?

Ironclad Tactics is more about deck building (and luck) than clock & turn management. The base campaign, at least, is more much more on the fun side than the tough side. Clock management isn't usually much of a problem. More often than not, you'll find yourself waiting for your turn to tick over and a new card to appear, so you can find out if you can either advance your strategy, or get totally boned.

Now NG+ and the DLC are totally different animals though. Where in the main campaign you can usually get by with whatever deck you like, these basically require you to figure out a custom deck for each mission, and I still couldn't beat the final campaign mission until I got some cards from the first DLC.

I'll also add hat the developer (Zachtronics) are a cool little group, they gave away their first game (SpaceChem) to any school teachers who asked for it for their classes, and are definitely devs worth supporting.

shdwcaster on
This discussion has been closed.