Options

This just in: Old games come to [Steam]!

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    I saw that Onimusha 3 is not only on steam, but on sale for $4.99. Anything I should know about it? I loved the first two, played the hell out of them. Anything I should know about this one?

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »
    I saw that Onimusha 3 is not only on steam, but on sale for $4.99. Anything I should know about it? I loved the first two, played the hell out of them. Anything I should know about this one?

It has Jean Reno. For some that's a make or break proposition.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Enslaved is finished! What a brilliant game. And this is important. NO CLIFFHANGER! Had a proper amazing ending with a wtf moment, in the best way possible. Completely blown away by it.

Don't forget to play the Pigsy DLC that's in the Extras menu if you want more Enslaved. I finished the game last week too and started playing it, doesn't seem to feature Trip or Monkey but it's fun enough and Pigsy is a funny character to play.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular

@Konphujun the steam forum is full of posts about how bad the port is. I was going to pick it up but it doesn't seem like it's worth playing on PC

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    rikdaly wrote: »

the steam forum is full of posts about how bad the port is. I was going to pick it up but it doesn't seem like it's worth playing on PC

Well, that answers my question then, I'll avoid it.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    @Isorn noticed I was at 798 games and made it his mission to give me two more! Thank you for Lily Looking Through and Shiny the Firefly. <3 Now im at an even number, leave me alone guys! Hit @Pixelated Pixie she said she really loves the number 2,000.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    @ Isorn noticed I was at 798 games and made it his mission to give me two more! Thank you for Lily Looking Through and Shiny the Firefly. <3 Now im at an even number, leave me alone guys! Hit @ "Pixelated Pixie" she said she really loves the number 2,000.

But Pixie isn't even at 1,000 yet? You monster. Well, I don't expect that to survive the Winter though, Pixie is <50 away.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

It has Jean Reno. For some that's a make or break proposition.

Killing humans was no longer enough of a challenge for him. His bloodlust demanded bigger targets.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Isorn noticed I was at 798 games and made it his mission to give me two more! Thank you for Lily Looking Through and Shiny the Firefly. <3 Now im at an even number, leave me alone guys! Hit "Pixelated Pixie" she said she really loves the number 2,000.

Not even gonna google Shiny the Firefly, it's not going to be what I want it to be.

Edit: Sorry for the late removal of @s

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Medieval II: Total War is $1 over at the Humble Store, redeems on Steam.

Everyone should own it.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Isorn noticed I was at 798 games and made it his mission to give me two more! Thank you for Lily Looking Through and Shiny the Firefly. <3 Now im at an even number, leave me alone guys! Hit @Pixelated Pixie she said she really loves the number 2,000.

Jerk.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Isorn noticed I was at 798 games and made it his mission to give me two more! Thank you for Lily Looking Through and Shiny the Firefly. <3 Now im at an even number, leave me alone guys! Hit Pixelated Pixie she said she really loves the number 2,000.

But Pixie isn't even at 1,000 yet? You monster. Well, I don't expect that to survive the Winter though, Pixie is <50 away.

Assuming she even makes it to the winter sale without passing it.

• Options
    septerracore.jpg

I'm totally blaming @CorriganX for this.

Thanks @Isorn! This game looks super cool, how have I not heard of it before?

<3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Medieval II: Total War is $1 over at the Humble Store, redeems on Steam.

Everyone should own it.

I'm glad I checked the steam store page first as it turns out I already own it. I don't remember buying it so it must have come in a bundle

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    septerracore.jpg

<3<3<3

One of the games I have one of the highest rated reviews for :D
    Septerra Core is....a difficult game to recommend. I should preface this review by saying that it is MOST CERTAINLY not for everyone. Septerra Core is an older turn-based RPG from a time where these sorts of games were common on consoles but rather rare on PC. I played the game to completion back in that era, and found it rather enjoyable - however, even then it had its rough edges, and for modern sensibilities it will be rather archaic.

The combat engine is location-based, similar to how Chrono Trigger is. However, the speed/pace everything works at is exclusively suited to when you have 3 members in your party, so combat is QUITE clunky in the early portion of the game, which makes it a bit of a hurdle to overcome.

The cast is varied, and the story was decent for the time (from what I recall - details are fuzzy). The concept of the WORLD itself is rather imaginative, and wholly unique from what I've run into in gaming. Aside from that, level design as the game progresses becomes....extremely maze-like. Lots of wrapping corridors which look same-y and form literal mazes.

Effectively, I'm recommending this because I enjoyed this game when I played it. But anyone who purchases it should know what they're getting when they're going in - a game that was a little rough around the edges when it came out, and which probably won't appeal to most modern gamers. Only purchase if you really enjoy turn-based RPGs, or are interested in very imaginative sci-fi worlds.

tl;dr - it's fun, but the early game makes the combat SO TEDIOUS OH MY GOD. Each person has a separate meter which fills, and then they have "light, medium, strong" attacks which all do different areas/lines ala Chrono Trigger. Everything pauses while an attack animation is going on. So when it's 1 of your people vs 3 enemies, the fights are awful. it works out alright once you have a full team of three, but still takes too long.

Other than that, the later dungeons are literal mazes.

Beyond that, it's a good game. One of the few JRPG style games from that era on PC, and it may still be one of the favorite "worlds" I've ever played in/seen conceived.

Septerra_Core_(PC)_02.png

It's on an artificial world where there's multiple "spheres" in layers which are held together via a spine. So each layer is a separate map, has separate cultures, etc, and there's some interesting conflict between the cultures on each shell.

• Options
    Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    Just got Steam up and running on my new machine, and what do I find? Iolo with the perfect thing for me to test my new rig with. Thanks!

y8g19drt7l8g.png

gift.PNG 257.7K
    vru37z14gk5j.png

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    It's on an artificial world where there's multiple "spheres" in layers which are held together via a spine. So each layer is a separate map, has separate cultures, etc, and there's some interesting conflict between the cultures on each shell.

That part sounds bloody brilliant. The pic illustrates it perfectly, too.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »

It's from the opening sequence, which illustrates it even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8by7wq_hTQ

Jump to ~50 seconds to get past the Dev/Publisher credits.

• Options
    DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    So here's a thing, it's pretty neat. It's like Spelunky and Terraria make baby. Then that baby had a bit of a rebellious phase and focused more on its rpg elements and dabbled in different classes.

It's not on steam yet but it's been greenlit and there's a free alpha build on the site everyone can try.

I give you Vagante.

Oh cool, I tried one of the earlier alpha builds a few months back and found it interesting enough to see where it went.
    I'll have to give the new alpha build a shot.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Game industry just has to cram everything into November and have them duke it out in a holiday gladiatorial arena.

Not going to be easy. I know I'm picking up Dragon Age Inquisition, after that it's pretty much a four way brawl between Borderlands Presequel, Pokemon ORSA, Far Cry 4 and Assassin's Creed Unity.

Going to be a vicious christmas.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular

It's from the opening sequence, which illustrates it even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8by7wq_hTQ

Jump to ~50 seconds to get past the Dev/Publisher credits.

You monster, now I want that... And I don't need another rpg.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

That's one of the main things I remember from when I played it over 10 years ago, because I thought it was so cool.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    septerracore.jpg

<3<3<3

One of the games I have one of the highest rated reviews for :D
    Septerra Core is....a difficult game to recommend. I should preface this review by saying that it is MOST CERTAINLY not for everyone. Septerra Core is an older turn-based RPG from a time where these sorts of games were common on consoles but rather rare on PC. I played the game to completion back in that era, and found it rather enjoyable - however, even then it had its rough edges, and for modern sensibilities it will be rather archaic.

The combat engine is location-based, similar to how Chrono Trigger is. However, the speed/pace everything works at is exclusively suited to when you have 3 members in your party, so combat is QUITE clunky in the early portion of the game, which makes it a bit of a hurdle to overcome.

The cast is varied, and the story was decent for the time (from what I recall - details are fuzzy). The concept of the WORLD itself is rather imaginative, and wholly unique from what I've run into in gaming. Aside from that, level design as the game progresses becomes....extremely maze-like. Lots of wrapping corridors which look same-y and form literal mazes.

Effectively, I'm recommending this because I enjoyed this game when I played it. But anyone who purchases it should know what they're getting when they're going in - a game that was a little rough around the edges when it came out, and which probably won't appeal to most modern gamers. Only purchase if you really enjoy turn-based RPGs, or are interested in very imaginative sci-fi worlds.

tl;dr - it's fun, but the early game makes the combat SO TEDIOUS OH MY GOD. Each person has a separate meter which fills, and then they have "light, medium, strong" attacks which all do different areas/lines ala Chrono Trigger. Everything pauses while an attack animation is going on. So when it's 1 of your people vs 3 enemies, the fights are awful. it works out alright once you have a full team of three, but still takes too long.

Other than that, the later dungeons are literal mazes.

Beyond that, it's a good game. One of the few JRPG style games from that era on PC, and it may still be one of the favorite "worlds" I've ever played in/seen conceived.

Septerra_Core_(PC)_02.png

It sounds a lot like a mix of CT's battle system with the one from Chrono Cross involving weak, medium, and strong attacks. It might be worth a look, I suppose...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    @Pixelated Pixie hit me with Septerra Core! I do love me some JRPGs. <3<3<3 Thanks so much! (Ill still be pushing people to make you hit 2k before I hit 1k)

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Thanks @Isorn for Disciples III and Imperium Romanum! History and strategy games are some of my favorites, I'm looking forward to seeing what these have to offer.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed Septerra Core until I got to a point where I simply could not beat a battle about half-way through the game.

Have to give it another spin sometime.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    I ought to know better, I really do.

L9YN1QR.png?1

@Pixelated Pixie zips by with the surprise gifting of Septerra Core. I have to admit, I liked Chrono Trigger's style of battle, so hopefully this one won't be too different. And I still have plenty of graph paper left to make maps on as needed- as long as the blasted things are not generated randomly, I don't think we'll have a problem.

Thanks for the gift, oh pink one! Between this and my recent pickups, I ought to focus on clearing things off my backlog for a while... I'm working on Chapter 2 of the first Unwritten Tales, and it was really worth the cash I paid for it. Oh, and Ivo should totally get a solo DLC or game. Anyone who can snark like that about overused tropes is a winner in my book.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    I'm working on Chapter 2 of the first Unwritten Tales, and it was really worth the cash I paid for it. Oh, and Ivo should totally get a solo DLC or game. Anyone who can snark like that about overused tropes is a winner in my book.

Oh goodness, yes. I <3 Ivo. (trivia: for the first few months after I joined PA, Ivo was my avatar)

I hope she's just as snarky and fun in the sequel.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    @iolo a true gentleperson of wit and charm has gifted me!

fuumnn9bb6l6.jpg

When the ban on gifting you is lifted once more I shall remember you!

With gifts!

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Krummith wrote: »
    @iolo a true gentleperson of wit and charm has gifted me!

fuumnn9bb6l6.jpg

When the ban on gifting you is lifted once more I shall remember you!

With gifts!
    That's been lifted for a Looooong time. It was one of the goals in our last charity drive.

Gift away.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah, if anything it's bad form for him to still have that no gifts disclaimer in his signature.

He should be punished somehow, but I can't think of a cheeky way to do so...

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Yeah, if anything it's bad form for him to still have that no gifts disclaimer in his signature.

Huh?

He changed the sig ages ago. All it says now is "not buying or backing" ... nothing about gifts.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    signature.png

@The Anonymous‌ is victorious!

New weekly giftaway incoming!

• Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular

Huh?

He changed the sig ages ago. All it says now is "not buying or backing" ... nothing about gifts.

I...I thought it got changed back to no gifting after the Summer Sale was over!

My gods!

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Krummith wrote: »

Huh?

I...I thought it got changed back to no gifting after the Summer Sale was over!

My gods!

I'm also on the mobile site a lot, so no signatures

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    DaxterMax wrote: »
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    So here's a thing, it's pretty neat. It's like Spelunky and Terraria make baby. Then that baby had a bit of a rebellious phase and focused more on its rpg elements and dabbled in different classes.

It's not on steam yet but it's been greenlit and there's a free alpha build on the site everyone can try.

I give you Vagante.

Oh cool, I tried one of the earlier alpha builds a few months back and found it interesting enough to see where it went.
    I'll have to give the new alpha build a shot.

Looks very pretty but that's gotta be the worst user interface I've seen in a long while. Died by accidentally stabbing a shopkeeper in the face which was funny at least.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    It is no big secret that I loved Guacamelee. I played gold edition twice, and it is one of the few games out there that I have all of the achievements on because I just like it that much. I picked up Super Turbo Championsip Edition last week before the price goes up for me expecting not much to be added, but I really liked the game and wanted to support the developers.

Well I was wrong. The upgrade is well worth $5. There are, I think, three new areas, a new boss, a new enemy type, a new power, and your path through the game is different than before. I don't know if I will go back for hard mode again, but I am enjoying the hell out of normal on what is essentially my third time through the game.

If you have $5 and don't know what to do with it (assuming you already own gold edition) then you could do a lot worse than a solid Meteoidvania with great combat that directly informs the platform ing. And if you don't own gold edition you can get it for $3 from the humble store today and then upgrade for $5. $8 for STCE for somebody who hasn't played the game at all is an amazing value.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Septerra Core until I got to a point where I simply could not beat a battle about half-way through the game.

Have to give it another spin sometime.

I remember one boss battle mid-game being particularly hard, so it wasn't just you.
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    It sounds a lot like a mix of CT's battle system with the one from Chrono Cross involving weak, medium, and strong attacks. It might be worth a look, I suppose...

Kinda, but not really.

(To put in timeline for folks, this was released in 1999, so like...between FF7 and FF8, closer to FF8 in the states.)

Each character has a bar which fills separate, like most RPGs of the time. Except in this case, every bar has 3 notches in it - so medium takes 2x as much time to charge as light, heavy takes 3x. And if memory serves, they're typically not 2/3x as strong, so you're better off doing light attacks for the most part (certain enemies/abilities excepted, of course). But, since EVERY BAR pauses while anyone is doing an attack animation, doing more frequent attacks takes longer.

Couple this with the fact that this is from an era when it wasn't exactly accepted to have a PC game which required/emphasized controller support, and you're moving your mouse around to choose your people/targets with a crosshair, and the combat as a whole just ends up feeling clunky. It's kinda the main thing which holds the game back from being a classic - this had decent voice acting at a time where that wasn't common, it's actually a very good early example of a strong female protagonist (and this is in the time period where we were still around TR2/TR3).

But yeah, this game came out when I was really jonesing for some RPGs ala what they have on consoles and did not yet have a console. I picked it up in a double pack with Shogo (you know, the classic game that everyone loves and which I've still never played through as for me IT was the "other" game in the pack). Go fig.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    My brother bought Onimusha 3 and I watched him play a great deal of it. Its a B movie made video game and he enjoyed it. Two fish out of water, time travel, fun characters.....there's also this scene after the prologue. Its kind of spoilery, but kind of not.

Actually, that might be a trigger for some people, I'm putting it in hyperlink over this text.
    edit:

So run it windowed in XP compatibility mode and remap to your controller using Pinnacle....that's rather jacked up to tell you the truth. Yeah, buy if you can do all that and do it already with other games.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Dang that scene is pretty neat.
    What the hell did France do to the demon samurai to deserve that?

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.