As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Destiny! Give me your gamertags!

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I'm 23, but I've got 5 days off next week, somehow, so I should be good to raid soon

Blank we need to play again soon

I need to show you the way of the throwing knife
    I have a bunch of knives strapped to my armor!

Can't use em though

But if you need extras

I'm your man

My knives are on fire

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    What if they add a boss you can only spawn by discarding legendary engrams in front of his door

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Anyone up for a VoG group any night but Thursday?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I spent my lunch break pounding out the daily heroic and MAN as a 21 Titan with 600 something defence I can take exactly two melee hits from those elite vandals and they are DICKS about it, like chasing me when I try to jetpack away so they're right under me when I come down

Least I got a pretty ill lookin auto rifle out of it

Hobnail on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    honestly I've had pretty good luck with big heroic melee dudes in that I have a giant shotgun

it's the little swarmy dudes that get me when I don't realize they're there

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    What was the modifier on that daily, one of them makes it so enemies do way more melee damage.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    My defense is getting up there with a legendary chest and level 25 and pretty much everything can still kill the shit out of me.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »
    I don't get why they don't just make higher tier engrams more rare to show up rather than giving them a chance to be being lower tier. People should be excited to get something, not disappointed and frustrated when it turns out to be shit

See, I'd rather they make some slight adjustments to the tables (purps should not drop greens) and then just make engrams themselves more-common. The mid-mission boost of grabbing an engram is important to keeping people's interest piqued.

The two-tiered loot system makes a lot of sense from a game-design perspective, but Bungie didn't exactly get it right.

There are two "Potential Jackpot Moments" (PJMs) in the current system, which is good. PJMs are MMO endorphins. Each time you kill an enemy or finish a task, there's a chance you'll get something good. Likewise, each time you open an engram, you have a similar feeling of anticipation/release (good or bad). Both of these bits of randomness produce the desired emotional reaction from the player (depending on taste, obviously).

Having this two-tiered system is advantageous because it allows you to present the player with a consistent feeling of potential progression (engrams) along with the occasional real progression (getting an actual new item you'll use). In this way, you can keep the IV of endorphins going via engrams while also providing those big hits of gratification with actual Legendary/Exotic items. It's a great formula for sustaining a player's interest.

The problem in my estimation is that the IV isn't doing enough. The big hits are there! I've felt it when opening an engram and seeing that purple text, and then again, when looking in my inventory and seeing I can use it. But the slow drip of engrams is way too slow to make the player (especially a casual player) feel like they're getting consistently good chances at new and better stuff.

This has been: John Ham's Impromptu Game Design Minute

I posted this in the G&T destiny thread but because this discussion is happening here as well...

They obviously want a certain drop rate of legendaries but they don't want the legendary engrams to feel THAT rare. Thats fair. But its never been fun to 'confirm the critical' in tabletop, and its not fun to get a legendary that is anything but. Imagine if you got a legendary in Diablo 3 and then in identifying at Cain's book, it turned into a rare

I think the best thing they could do would be:
    - Legendary Engrams only give legendaries - lower the drop rate accordingly
    - Introduce another intermediate tier of Engram, teal or something to fill the gap. Something with a higher chance to drop legendaries than a blue, but gives you a feel of more varied loot drops, but also doesn't come with the expectation of getting a legendary every time

• Options
    Balefuego wrote: »
    What was the modifier on that daily, one of them makes it so enemies do way more melee damage.

I don't remember but man I hope it was on because I was getting spanked, things that don't flinch when I smash them with THUNDER FIST frighten me badly

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »

Lightswitch

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Every time I get a legendary engram it ends up being this one warlock bond.

Like, that one specific level 18 blue one.

every.

single.

time.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    I'm really enjoying my time with Destiny (I'm the Warlock in Blue)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6GpBW2r5_4

Had no idea who these guys were. Not sure they even knew each other. They just kinda sat down. So I joined them. Then livened it up.

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Oh, God, please one-shot me again, multiplayer! Especially after I somehow managed to kill a guy at the exact same moment as he killed me! Again! Again!

• Options
    hahaha

i'm playing with a guy who is in a clan that i read as Rogue Angels of Satan

it is actually Rouge Angles of Satin

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Zay how do you feel this morning, in this post level 26 heroic world.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    i'm level 27 now, for one

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Okay so is every armor piece past level 17 a Mangala Skin because good lord

Also, you hit 20, here's a shader for you! Congratulations now you look like a fuckin clown

• Options
    Sorry you got a bad shader son.

Polar Oak, Gilgamesh, Beowulf are the shit.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Double Banshee

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Have you considered gitting gud at shaders

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Have you considered that Oracle 99 is the best

And that you smell

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    i got a lot of shaders and like 3 of them

currently using God of War, it's red and gray

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I'm still under 20 and my Titan looks like a thrift shop hand me down power ranger

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    I didn't even know there WAS a slide until like two days ago.

you just hit the crouch button while sprinting, correct?

• Options
    they gave me the tan and red shader but it was boring so I switched back to my absurd purple shader

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    As someone who likes purple a lot, the things they do with purple shaders in this game are incorrigible.

signature.png

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vav_RcYciSg&list=UUTTx-gTU-ePcxHLpF15l8hA

holy cow give me this and mr neutron or
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z89fte7zBA

holy shit unique animations yes yes yes

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    I stopped halfway through a strike and switched it because I was actively falling asleep watching myself drive my speeder

• Options
    JohnHam wrote: »
    As someone who likes purple a lot, the things they do with purple shaders in this game are incorrigible.

Would you say they fucked it up royally

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I got the tracking cluster on my rocket launcher now

it seems real good

like fire a rocket into a guy, and even if I miss the cluster will kill him anyway

I like it

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    how are you guys getting items

I am level 24, never seen anything higher than a blue drop. engrams, items, whatever

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    I didn't even know there WAS a slide until like two days ago.

you just hit the crouch button while sprinting, correct?

Correct, I just never tried it before until y'all mentioned it during that big crucible run.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    you know, I didnt think i would like PvP because usually I am horrible at it.

but crucible is actually really fun

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    So to make up for never ever giving me a usable legendary, the game gave me an exotic bounty

Now to decide between working towards a hand cannon, pulse rifle, or shotgun

I think I'm going to have to go for the shotgun, it looks like it would dominate the crucible

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited September 2014
    So I've been doing a lot of Vanguard bounties, and today was awarded a special exotic weapon gold bounty. I had 3 options to choose from: Do the Strike on Earth, Finish a Weekly Heroic or Nightmare, or accept a mystery mission from one of the warlock Vanguard. I chose the 3rd one, and went to get my mission... Finish 5 Strikes without dying... I hope this is worth it! :P

Edit: ok, I just looked up exotic bounties, and each one starts off a series of quests. The one I chose will give me a shotgun. I wish I had looked this up before!

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Guys, I got two legendary engrams and two legendaries out of them.
    One was a hunter item for my warlock but still

• Options
    finalbroadcastfinalbroadcast WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Played multiplayer for the first time today. I think that I prefer the co-op mission types more, and I really wish that Bungie would let go of their love of jumping and shooting at the same time.

finalbroadcast.jpg
  • Options
    Brogey wrote: »
    So I've been doing a lot of Vanguard bounties, and today was awarded a special exotic weapon gold bounty. I had 3 options to choose from: Do the Strike on Earth, Finish a Weekly Heroic or Nightmare, or accept a mystery mission from one of the warlock Vanguard. I chose the 3rd one, and went to get my mission... Finish 5 Strikes without dying... I hope this is worth it! :P

Edit: ok, I just looked up exotic bounties, and each one starts off a series of quests. The one I chose will give me a shotgun. I wish I had looked this up before!

Paul I just got the same exact one.

Little bummed that it's a shotgun but oh well, still gonna do it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Played multiplayer for the first time today. I think that I prefer the co-op mission types more, and I really wish that Bungie would let go of their love of jumping and shooting at the same time.

I actually kind of feel like with the focus on ADS, shooting while jumping is kind of a fools errand in this game.

• Options
    I am going to smash myself against some bounties for a punishing amount of time, I am down for whatever if anybody wants to distract me from my pain

This discussion has been closed.