Options

METAL... GEAR?!

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    So how does the base building work in the PSP games? I've never really looked into it and I'm curious but going to an FAQ seems spoiler-ish.

You don't really build your base in either game. You collect enemy soldiers, all of whom have ranks in various stats. As you assign soldiers to certain categories like R&D, Mess Hall, etc., each category increases in level. Based on the level of your categories, you can request construction of various weapons and items. You also have a type of currency that you spend when you construct stuff. So a silenced M16 might require Armory level 20 and R&D level 14, and require 10,000 GDP or whatever it's called.

There are other uses for your soldiers like sending them on missions. This involves automated, purely stat-based battles, and will earn you more money and maybe other things upon completion. You can also play as captured soldiers in various missions. Sometimes their stats are better than Snake's.

Videos of Phantom Pain make it seem like the Mother Base functionality will be hugely expanded compared to the PSP games. Things like weather reports, scouting, and other intel have already been shown. I'm really excited to see what else is added. It looks like it's extremely minutely detailed, as opposed to the menu-based system it was in Portable Ops and Peace Walker.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Alright apparently I have no idea what is going on with MGSV.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    who does

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    To truly understand MGSV you must play its prequel, Frog Fractions 2

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    who does

kojima

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    who does

kojima

bullshit

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Only Ocelot knows.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Then who are Punished Snake and Venom Snake

In a stunning twist, they are the clones of Boss from Snake Eater.

Which makes them Ocelot's twin sister-moms.

Simple when you think about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bc0mG5omTo

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    So how does the base building work in the PSP games? I've never really looked into it and I'm curious but going to an FAQ seems spoiler-ish.

You don't really build your base in either game. You collect enemy soldiers, all of whom have ranks in various stats. As you assign soldiers to certain categories like R&D, Mess Hall, etc., each category increases in level. Based on the level of your categories, you can request construction of various weapons and items. You also have a type of currency that you spend when you construct stuff. So a silenced M16 might require Armory level 20 and R&D level 14, and require 10,000 GDP or whatever it's called.

There are other uses for your soldiers like sending them on missions. This involves automated, purely stat-based battles, and will earn you more money and maybe other things upon completion. You can also play as captured soldiers in various missions. Sometimes their stats are better than Snake's.

Videos of Phantom Pain make it seem like the Mother Base functionality will be hugely expanded compared to the PSP games. Things like weather reports, scouting, and other intel have already been shown. I'm really excited to see what else is added. It looks like it's extremely minutely detailed, as opposed to the menu-based system it was in Portable Ops and Peace Walker.

To add to this, the actual basebuilding in PW was largely automatic, with new struts constructed as you leveled up/got more people/etc

The GZ app has you planning out the layout of mother base yourself, and it looks like TPP will have some degree of base customization

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I think the basebuilding in the GZ app was just a mobile game type thing though, and not necessarily representative of what basebuilding will be like in Phantom Pain.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Big Boss does not have a mind control horn and a robot arm.

...I thought Big Boss very specifically did have a robot arm in Metal Gear

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Sure, the app was a pretty rudimentary thing on a hex grid

They haven't gone into too much detail about mother base in TPP but I expect it'll be more fleshed out (individual struts are still preset but you can choose a layout to better defend against incursions or something like that)

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Big Boss does not have a mind control horn and a robot arm.

...I thought Big Boss very specifically did have a robot arm in Metal Gear

he does not

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    The Boss lives on, through this arm

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    you may be thinking of this codec call in metal gear 2: solid snake
    Kasler:
    Big Boss...
    There's not a mercenary in the world who hasn't heard of him. He's
    a like a god, a living legend.
    Snake:
    I already know all that! I need new information!
    Kasler:
    OK, OK... but this is only a rumor, understand? Three years ago,
    when Outer Heaven fell, Big Boss was seriously wounded. He almost
    died...
    He lost both hands, both feet, his right eye, and his right ear.
    But somehow... he survived.
    Then an Eastern bloc despot took an interest in him. Probably
    couldn't resist getting his hands on a soldier of Big Boss's
    caliber.
    They decided to use Big Boss as a guinea pig for Madnar's Snatcher
    project.
    I don't know the details, but apparently it involved turning him
    into a cyborg. Now he's half man and half machine. Hard to believe,
    I know.
    But if it's true, Snake, you're way out of you're league. None of
    techniques is going to do so much as put a scratch on him.
    Snake... give it up... There's no way you can win this time...
    Over and out.

but this isn't actually supported at all outside of this rumor which is just a snatcher reference

in metal gear 1 he is a fully organic human

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    The phantom pain could take place after metal gear 1 and all the mother base stuff is just a psych out

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    It just dawned on me that despite playing all the mainline metal gear solid games I still haven't learned anything about the forming of the Patriots or foxhound or outer heaven
    Maybe when I replay mgs4 I will remember stuff

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    It just dawned on me that despite playing all the mainline metal gear solid games I still haven't learned anything about the forming of the Patriots or foxhound or outer heaven
    Maybe when I replay mgs4 I will remember stuff

portable ops touches on the founding of the patriots and foxhound. ocelot kills the cia director to steal back the philosohper's legacy and him and zero use it to found the patriots, and big boss forms foxhound as the unit that hunts down and defeats the rogue fox unit

outer heaven is gonna be founded in 5

• Options
    I literally just spent all class reading big boss's wiki page

And I actually completely totally forgot about the reveal at the end of mgs4 and really want to play it now

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Isn't it more likely that Punished Snake and Venom Snake are the same character?

You start the game recovering from the coma and adjusting to your handicaps (Punished), then in the later half you march toward a path of bloody vengeance (Venom).

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    "two phantoms were born" sort of implies there's two different snakes, not one guy with character progression.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    There is like, a good 65% chance that the person you play as the majority(Or minority?) of Phantom Pain isn't Big Boss, but it's not as set in stone as -Tal implied.

But there are pretty big hints. Like Boss "waking up" at the wrong time canonically, and the scene where they're operating on Boss and Kaz goes, "What about him?" to the camera/person you are watching these events unfold as.

Ocelot playing a big part is also a huge ass warning sign, but again, this could all be conjecture.

• Options
    Isn't it more likely that Punished Snake and Venom Snake are the same character?

You start the game recovering from the coma and adjusting to your handicaps (Punished), then in the later half you march toward a path of bloody vengeance (Venom).

http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/tpp/en/progress/_img/his_pic01_zoom.jpg

Notice that Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes Snake have BIGBOSS under their name, and Venom does not

his mission is listed as rescuing Kaz, which takes place fairly early in TPP in Afghanistan

the only place we know for sure Punished Snake shows up is in Africa, which is supposed to take place later

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    There is like, a good 65% chance that the person you play as the majority(Or minority?) of Phantom Pain isn't Big Boss, but it's not as set in stone as -Tal implied.

But there are pretty big hints. Like Boss "waking up" at the wrong time canonically, and the scene where they're operating on Boss and Kaz goes, "What about him?" to the camera/person you are watching these events unfold as.

Ocelot playing a big part is also a huge ass warning sign, but again, this could all be conjecture.

according to kojima, the person kaz is talking about is himself. kojima had been in battle alongside the two of them and is getting ready to go along with them again. that's why the third person is the camera's perspective and why immediately after kaz says "what about him" it flashes Kojima's name

of course that could be a sack of baloney but who knows

• Options
    It seems unlikely you'd play as a sack of balogna in tpp

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    It seems unlikely you'd play as a sack of balogna in tpp

I dunno, to read people's responses about MGS2 on release, you'd think they would have preferred to play as a sack of bologna instead of Raiden.

• Options
    the horn is the biggest evidence that there's more than one snake running around

Big Boss has no horn in the hospital scene in the GDC trailer

and if he's been in a coma for 9 years, why does he still have bandages on his head when he wakes up?

it's either a different soldier who's been fooled into thinking he's big boss or else the horn was implanted in him shortly before the events of TPP

• Options
    the horn is the biggest evidence that there's more than one snake running around

Big Boss has no horn in the hospital scene in the GDC trailer

and if he's been in a coma for 9 years, why does he still have bandages on his head when he wakes up?

it's either a different soldier who's been fooled into thinking he's big boss or else the horn was implanted in him shortly before the events of TPP

Or the cloning process has some problems.

• Options
    What's the name of those screwed-up creepy-looking soldiers in the sandstorm in that one trailer?

What if...what if those are failed clones of Big Boss...?

• Options
    I thought the "two phantoms" were FOXHOUND and XOF

btw there's a different timeline from tgs dividing the series into big boss and solid snake games and metal gear 1 and 2 are grouped with bb so ????

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    take a look at 1:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xu2hWlUArE

you get a shot of BB in his helicopter, and there's clearly no sign of the horn

this looks a lot like the ending scene of ground zeroes, he's even wearing the GZ sneaking suit. But his face isn't bloody during that scene, and that exact shot doesn't show up in it

(skip to 3:27 for relevant part/to avoid the surgery scene)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3ynPiK_ev4

it's possible the GDC footage is just from an old draft of the GZ ending cutscene but maybe not???

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    What's the name of those screwed-up creepy-looking soldiers in the sandstorm in that one trailer?

What if...what if those are failed clones of Big Boss...?

Those who "Don't Exist"

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    according to liquid snake, the method that was used to make the twin snakes involved impregnating the surrogate mother with 8 zygotes and then gradually aborting 6 of them

6 children that don't exist

6 children that "Don't Exist"

• Options
    according to liquid snake, the method that was used to make the twin snakes involved impregnating the surrogate mother with 8 zygotes and then gradually aborting 6 of them

6 children that don't exist

6 children that "Don't Exist"

you mean the "Super Baby Method"

Snake: Super Baby Method!?*

*actual dialogue in MGS1**

**and it is WONDERFUL

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    wow sounds like a lot of unnecessary explanations of retcons

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    As uninteresting as I find the punished/venom speculation, I'm still ready for flame pegasus and whatever else kojima has in store for us

I'm 100% on board the hype train and I hate it

went on a mgs trailer/soundtrack binge the other night and I've had sins of the father stuck in my head for a while, but it's gonna be like a whole additional year of waiting

I should replay 3 and peace walker in the meantime or I'm gonna go crazy

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    wow sounds like a lot of unnecessary explanations of retcons

metal gear?!

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I would like to.... play more Revengeance

so I'm gonna do that, and I will sit there with my stream on and if ya wanna call me or somethin on skype go Ahead

Huntera on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I beat sniper wolf

for a guy who claims not to care about connecting with people, snake sure spends a lot of time listening to people tell their life stories as they die

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    I beat sniper wolf

for a guy who claims not to care about connecting with people, snake sure spends a lot of time listening to people tell their life stories as they die

The best is when they do post-fight dialogue in Revengance.
    After you've completly annihilated them to atomic DUST

This discussion has been closed.