As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

METAL... GEAR?!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    the horn is the biggest evidence that there's more than one snake running around

Big Boss has no horn in the hospital scene in the GDC trailer

and if he's been in a coma for 9 years, why does he still have bandages on his head when he wakes up?

it's either a different soldier who's been fooled into thinking he's big boss or else the horn was implanted in him shortly before the events of TPP

I don't know why I react so violently to this idea but I totally fucking hate it

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    All of this theorizing seems so unnecessary and I want literally 0% of it to be in the actual game

How about it's a game about Big Boss being driven to evil in a quest for blind revenge

What's wrong with that

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    every time otacon starts talking, I just want this to happen:

0ghaxZn.png

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    All of this theorizing seems so unnecessary and I want literally 0% of it to be in the actual game

How about it's a game about Big Boss being driven to evil in a quest for blind revenge

What's wrong with that

Too simple.

Gotta dream big.

• Options

What's wrong with that

BROTHER

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

What's wrong with that

BROTHER

Are you saying Liquid Snake is definitely part of the story for MGSV: The Phantom Pain??

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

What's wrong with that

BROTHER

Are you saying Liquid Snake is definitely part of the story for MGSV: The Phantom Pain??

Well actually yes
    mgsv_e3_11.jpg

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I kind of assumed that any Big Boss game after MGS3 would kind of lose the emotional thread that made that game resonate with me, where it basically suggested that grief and pain warped the sense of justice of a good man into something darker, more sinister

Like I spent years assuming that Outer Heaven was literally a monument to what he thought the Boss's principles would have been, but his love was so fierce and his pain so blinding that he lost his way

I have a feeling that all the BB games since then haven't exactly held to that idea

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

MGS2's "crazy ending nobody understands" boils down to "there's a shadow government running America, Solidus is trying to destroy it, also the entire Big Shell incident was an operation recreating Shadow Moses to try and see if the Patriots can create their own soldier on the level of Solid Snake, but the actual Snake appearing fucked it all up"

And a huge huge theme of that game is obfuscation and keeping secrets

I don't see what the stuff with multiple Snakes could possibly add to Phantom Pain

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I kind of assumed that any Big Boss game after MGS3 would kind of lose the emotional thread that made that game resonate with me, where it basically suggested that grief and pain warped the sense of justice of a good man into something darker, more sinister

Like I spent years assuming that Outer Heaven was literally a monument to what he thought the Boss's principles would have been, but his love was so fierce and his pain so blinding that he lost his way

I have a feeling that all the BB games since then haven't exactly held to that idea

That's actually kind of exactly what Peace Walker does?

The main thing motivating Big Boss in that game is even the slightest chance of seeing The Boss again, even if it turns out to be a created AI

He eventually decides to take what that AI does as an extension of The Boss herself and, in his delusion, decides she is a traitor to the cause of soldiers and makes his plans for MSF and Outer Heaven even crazier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YefmWA_exss
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMilA34KGXw

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

That's actually kind of exactly what Peace Walker does?

The main thing motivating Big Boss in that game is even the slightest chance of seeing The Boss again, even if it turns out to be a created AI

He eventually decides to take what that AI does as an extension of The Boss herself and, in his delusion, decides she is a traitor to the cause of soldiers and makes his plans for MSF and Outer Heaven even crazier

This may be the most distasteful plot summary I've read in the past day

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular

MGS2's "crazy ending nobody understands" boils down to "there's a shadow government running America, Solidus is trying to destroy it, also the entire Big Shell incident was an operation recreating Shadow Moses to try and see if the Patriots can create their own soldier on the level of Solid Snake, but the actual Snake appearing fucked it all up"

And a huge huge theme of that game is obfuscation and keeping secrets

I don't see what the stuff with multiple Snakes could possibly add to Phantom Pain

I too don't know how it could have anything to do with tpp. Almost as if it hasn't been released yet....

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    I think you're misrepresenting what happened a liiittle bit

Continued in spoilers cos wyborn hasn't played PW I guess
    Snake decided to take the mission from Zadornov because the Boss may have been alive in Costa Rica, yes

But he was never 'deluded' by the AI, he was certainly thoroughly shaken by being confronted by such a traumatic part of his past but it's not like the Boss AI was actually the continuing consciousness of the Boss

It's though the AIs actions at the end that Snake and Strangelove come to understand why the Boss did what she did but that's not the same thing

copyin this part from the wiki
    Huey deduced that, in a similar function to the human brain, Peace Walker must have used functional compensation to take over its tasks, as a result of the Mammal and Reptile Pods essentially acting as one. Strangelove wondered if her memories remained in her through the song. Huey then mentioned that it was not thinking clearly, and was instead using its heart. Miller then stated that The Boss's innocence had been proven, and requested for Snake to listen to her song. Strangelove then realized and understood why The Boss had done what she did ten years ago: when she went into space as part of the Mercury Project, she saw a beauty other than war. She put down her gun and instead chose to sing. They would all hear her singing, and she sacrificed everything to have her will live on. She couldn't achieve it, but she still sang, hoping for the illusion called peace that could not be found. Snake, after mirroring his salute ten years ago at The Boss's grave, then removed his bandana, where it was lost to the wind.

At the end of it, Snake concludes in hindsight that the Boss let herself die and that act was a betrayal of her beliefs and takes that as a rejection of even himself
    http://youtu.be/JqQO1MAltJU

I find this part as powerful as the end of snake eater, it adds an even further dimension to the tragedy and also shows us how, even as devoted as they were to the Boss, Big Boss and Zero could take such stark reactions in different directions

It's this decision that really hits hard when you arrive back at the graveyard in 4

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Outer Heaven is only one RACE participating in the false spiral of REVENGE, multiple snakes operating in different factions and opposing each other in multiplayer allows MGSV to focus down on RACE just as MGS3 focused down on SCENE by giving Naked Snake similar GENE and MEME to Solid Snake

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    @Wyborn‌ you can read the above spoilers if you're not going to play PW I guess but it really does hit on all the points you're suggesting, it's my favorite mgs since 3

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    I like how Snake's interpretation of the Boss' will is literally the exact opposite of the one he reached at the end of Portable Ops

Peace Walker and MGSV only exist because Kojima really really wanted to not only overwrite portable ops but prevent any sequels to it

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    Outer Heaven is only one RACE participating in the false spiral of REVENGE, multiple snakes operating in different factions and opposing each other in multiplayer allows MGSV to focus down on RACE just as MGS3 focused down on SCENE by giving Naked Snake similar GENE and MEME to Solid Snake

I hate you so much

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I don't think we can assume anything we see in relation to TPP is in any way bound to the canon of the original MSX Metal Gear games.

Other than, 'Big Boss founded Outer Heaven, and had a Metal Gear, and he was thwarted by Solid Snake', anything could be retconned.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular

What's wrong with that

BROTHER

LIQUID!!!

• Options
    let us define RACE as a group organized around common GENE andor MEME, the identity of which can be altered by SCENE, SENSE, and PEACE

remember that Outer Heaven and Zanzibar Land weren't just mercenary groups, they were nations, Big Boss was trying to form a new ethnic group, a RACE if you will, populated by soldiers

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Why is Venom's mouth distinctly covered in that promo pic?

My theory: literal fangs

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »

he's in a desert

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

he's in a desert

Come now Tal that's far too sensible a reason, it has to be something secret and convoluted and bullshit

• Options
    I can't tell, are people actually getting upset at the idea of convoluted bullshit in a metal gear thread?

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options

he's in a desert

Come now Tal that's far too sensible a reason, it has to be something secret and convoluted and bullshit

the sand is actually nanomachines

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    i would not be surprised if you got to look at a design doc or plot bible and it was just a single word

bullshit

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    why would anyone want to make another Snake? Well, Zero wants to build up Big Boss as the culture hero of the Cipher RACE. It's why the twins and solidus were made in the first place. but they're an investment in the future, Cipher needs someone now.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Zay wrote: »
    I can't tell, are people actually getting upset at the idea of convoluted bullshit in a metal gear thread?

this kind of convoluted bullshit is NOT the kind of convoluted bullshit that i like!!

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options

Not convoluted bullshit in principle, no, but specifically I'm getting annoyed by the idea that it's not Big Boss you're playing as, and specifically the idea that it might be another soldier who thinks he's BB

Big Boss is the one I am emotionally invested in; I care about his story and what happens to and around him and what decisions he makes. That's what I want to see and it's why I've been so excited for this game

If it's some other jagoff then why should I give a shit

• Options
    all the big RACEs of metal gear are built on MEMEs mutated from the Boss' SENSE, and as such they all want to claim ownership of her inheritor, Big Boss

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    now that we know about being able to call in support from other characters

i really hope the MG1 bosses are unlockable support characters if they're not part of the story

I wanna be able to deploy Shotgunner and The Machine Gun Kid

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Les Enfants Terribles are attempts to replicate GENE
    Punished Snake and Venom Snake are attempts to replicate SENSE

perhaps this will be the incident by which Zero recognizes the futility of replicating SENSE and decides to instead go with AIs, who exist to replicate MEME and create a stable SCENE that is the war economy, which maintains PEACE through war, controlling the false spiral of REVENGE by depriving it of any emotion or meaning

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i think there's been way too much about fakes and decoys and copies in the stuff that's been dropped about TPP for there not to be something up with that thematically

kojima has talked about how frustrating it is to write a story where everybody already knows the ending, and I think he's going to make sure that he takes the most convoluted path possible to keep people on their toes

• Options
    oh my god I'm leaving this thread for a while

• Options
    edited September 2014

Not convoluted bullshit in principle, no, but specifically I'm getting annoyed by the idea that it's not Big Boss you're playing as, and specifically the idea that it might be another soldier who thinks he's BB

Big Boss is the one I am emotionally invested in; I care about his story and what happens to and around him and what decisions he makes. That's what I want to see and it's why I've been so excited for this game

my personal guess is that the game is going to subtly shift your perspective between the two snakes without cluing you into it, in such a way that the story starts to come unraveled until the big reveal, and then going back and replaying it will make things make a lot more sense

so you ARE playing as big boss, you're just also playing as a doppleganger

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I can't even read Tal's posts in this thread anymore.

My eyes glaze over and suddenly I'm reading the next post.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    The only me is me. Are you sure the only you is you?

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    come to think of it

MGS3 is the only game where dopplegangers/opposite pairs of characters aren't a major theme

MGS1 has the twin snakes

MGS2 has raiden and solidus both trying to lay claim to the solid snake identity

MGS4 has ocelot literally say "I am liquid's doppleganger," plus the fake out with solidus' corpse and Big Boss

Peace Walker has the AI duplicate of The Boss

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    now that we know about being able to call in support from other characters

i really hope the MG1 bosses are unlockable support characters if they're not part of the story

I wanna be able to deploy Shotgunner and The Machine Gun Kid

I can't believe you made this post without mentioning Dirty Duck, leader of the terrorist cell 'Egg Plant'

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Dirty_Duck

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

my personal guess is that the game is going to subtly shift your perspective between the two snakes without cluing you into it, in such a way that the story starts to come unraveled until the big reveal, and then going back and replaying it will make things make a lot more sense

so you ARE playing as big boss, you're just also playing as a doppleganger

I hadn't seen this concept art before, but it's right there on Game Informer's MGSV page
    tzt8X8r.jpg

This discussion has been closed.