Options

Super Smash Bros. - Vote on Tournament Times!

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    My lack of Flat Zone 2 confuses me.
    Do you need all 35 of the first challenges cleared? I'm sitting at 33, with only the StreetSmash and outfit ones left incomplete.

It unlocks on the second panel

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Yeah I know there's hardly any chance of the 3DS version being the definitive one, just musing. Wondering what that would look like, picturing reactions.
    Quical wrote: »
    Paper Mario level being one of the worst levels ever, along with poke floats.

Y'know I think I've played this level once for like 10 seconds, I'm going to have to give it another try and see what's so bad.

I don't think it ever comes up in Classic mode, and I've never seen it in any other mode either.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Yeah I know there's hardly any chance of the 3DS version being the definitive one, just musing. Wondering what that would look like, picturing reactions.
    Quical wrote: »
    Paper Mario level being one of the worst levels ever, along with poke floats.

Y'know I think I've played this level once for like 10 seconds, I'm going to have to give it another try and see what's so bad.

I don't think it ever comes up in Classic mode, and I've never seen it in any other mode either.

The first two parts of the Paper Mario stage are great, but I just can't stand the last part.

Honestly, for a lot of the stages I actually kinda prefer the Final Destination forms.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Is there any sort of guide on equipment and its effects yet? I'm sure there must be, somewhere deep on the internet.

I'm considering logging all the equipment I've got now just for the heck of it.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I sort of wish the Omega stages were gimmickless versions of the stage's original shape, rather than Final Destinations.

Like, if you wanted to do Magicant in one-on-one, you'd be able to play on a version with the same platforms, but no Flying Man (who is the best thing, but way too powerful one-on-one), or maybe a Paper Mario that remains on one given screen.

• Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    Is there any sort of guide on equipment and its effects yet? I'm sure there must be, somewhere deep on the internet.

The equipment stat values are variable. I've gotten two of the same piece of equipment where one had clearly better stats than the other.

Though any special qualities (e.g. spawning you with a beam sword) seem to be consistent across all versions of a piece of equipment.

There are some items with some insane abilities. I have one on Luigi that improves his horizontal air movement to Jigglypuff levels.

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I wonder if there's any remote possibility that people will end up liking the 3DS version more overall than the Wii U one

For myself, it's not just a possibility, but a guarantee.

First, as you might deduct from my avatar, my feelings of the console the other version's on are not entirely positive, to use an undestatement. The same can be said about HD graphics, so the 3DS version easily looks prettier to me even if you take the 3D out of the equation (not that I ever would!), and as for the controls, let's just say this is the first Smash since the N64 one where I didn't feel the control scheme put up more of a fight than other characters did. Even with that cut in my circle pad thumb I mentioned in a previous post, it's more comfortable and responsive than Melee or Brawl ever was.

All the U version has in my opinion is the better soundtrack selection and some stages and trophies the 3DS version doesn't, but that's nowhere near enough IMO to make up for the negatives.

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    You don't want to hear the things I deduce from your avatar.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    We just don't know anything about the Wii U version, outside of some facts like Music and characters/stages. We don't even know what kind of modes it'll have or how they'll improve the Online compared to the 3DS version.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I wonder if there's any remote possibility that people will end up liking the 3DS version more overall than the Wii U one

First, as you might deduct from my avatar, my feelings of the console the other version's on are not entirely positive, to use an undestatement. The same can be said about HD graphics, so the 3DS version easily looks prettier to me even if you take the 3D out of the equation (not that I ever would!), and as for the controls, let's just say this is the first Smash since the N64 one where I didn't feel the control scheme put up more of a fight than other characters did. Even with that cut in my circle pad thumb I mentioned in a previous post, it's more comfortable and responsive than Melee or Brawl ever was.

All the U version has in my opinion is the better soundtrack selection and some stages and trophies the 3DS version doesn't, but that's nowhere near enough IMO to make up for the negatives.

Your points are... very very strange. I would have considered most of those things to be objective advantages. In what way do your feelings towards the console affect the quality of its version of Smash? How are all of the ways in which you can control Smash Wii U (Gamepad, Pro controller, Gamecube controller, etc) worse than using the 3DS controls? How can HD graphics be bad?

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    You don't want to hear the things I deduce from your avatar.

I do! ;)

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
      Is anyone else getting tired of everyone hiding on the other side of the stage? This is getting annoying , being punished for any kind of offense .

• Options
      TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
      Enlong wrote: »
      I sort of wish the Omega stages were gimmickless versions of the stage's original shape, rather than Final Destinations.

Like, if you wanted to do Magicant in one-on-one, you'd be able to play on a version with the same platforms, but no Flying Man (who is the best thing, but way too powerful one-on-one), or maybe a Paper Mario that remains on one given screen.

This would be cool. Also what would be cool is if they at least had some platforms on them- make some of them Battlefield clones, or make some of them with two platforms (one on each end), etc. Simpler stages, but still with a bit of variation. Final Destination all the time just gets boring.

I believe Melee tourney-players agree that Battlefield is more balanced for Smash than Final Destination is, yes?

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
      Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    • Options

The equipment stat values are variable. I've gotten two of the same piece of equipment where one had clearly better stats than the other.

Though any special qualities (e.g. spawning you with a beam sword) seem to be consistent across all versions of a piece of equipment.

There are some items with some insane abilities. I have one on Luigi that improves his horizontal air movement to Jigglypuff levels.

I've started writing some of them down. There's some interesting information to be gleaned from it, like which abilities the game gives more weight to, based on the ratio of +stat to -stat.

• Options
      Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
      I've heard the Japanese competitive scene uses Final Destination exclusively, so it's more them catering to their local audience

I too would like to play Magicant without Flying Men sometimes, the match pretty much becomes all about them when they're around

8saxds2jkfoy.png
      3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
      Twitter/Tumblr
    • Options
      Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      I like that facebook comment

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
        Actually, I could totally go for an Alpha form along with the Omega forms...

Regular, Alpha (battlefield or stage with no gimmicks), Omega (final destination)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
      • Options
        TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
        is it just the online lag or does Yoshi's dash attack have mad priority? I've had it cancel out my forward smashes.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
      • Options
        edited October 2014
        TDawg wrote: »

This would be cool. Also what would be cool is if they at least had some platforms on them- make some of them Battlefield clones, or make some of them with two platforms (one on each end), etc. Simpler stages, but still with a bit of variation. Final Destination all the time just gets boring.

I believe Melee tourney-players agree that Battlefield is more balanced for Smash than Final Destination is, yes?

I believe so because on completely flat stages, projectile characters gain a pretty big advantage. I also wish we could add some platforms to the omega versions of the stage, it definitely mixes it up.

TelMarine on
      • Options
        WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
        Is there anything more satisfying than getting beat up by a counter-happy Lucina, then jumping straight through her counter and spiking her into oblivion for the win?

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
      • Options
        WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
        Wyvern wrote: »
        Is there anything more satisfying than getting beat up by a counter-happy Lucina, then jumping straight through her counter and spiking her into oblivion for the win?

Getting sent flying off the stage over and over by a pretty decent Little Mac and ending the match by countering his forward smash

dN0T6ur.png
      • Options
        ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
        TelMarine wrote: »
        is it just the online lag or does Yoshi's dash attack have mad priority? I've had it cancel out my forward smashes.

I feel like a lot of the dash attacks in this game now have mad priority, and a few are pretty tough to punish properly because they have multiple hits and/or little to no start-up and ending lag.

Countering dash attacks is one of the tougher parts about playing MegaMan I think, because it seems like most dash attacks just plow through my projectiles like they aren't even there.

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
      • Options
        The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
        ...So, here's a thing that's terrifying.

One of the tips mentions that Wii Fit is temporarily invincible while doing her up smash. Playing around with her a bit more?

I think she may have invincibility frames on all of her smash attacks.

Also, as far as I can tell, Deep Breathing has a "Recharge" time on it - It's very fast to use the first time/whenever the recharge is complete,e but it gets much, much slower if you try to do it again having already done one. It slowly builds speed back up while it's not used.

Not sure exactly what the cooldown is though. 15~25s or so?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
        Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
        Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
        Switch: 0293 6817 9891
      • Options

Yeah actually I feel bad for characters like Ness, whose side smash is actually really interesting in that it involves dropping a bowling ball off the edge of a platform. You're a little screwed on tactics with Final Destination compared to Battlefield.

• Options
        BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
        Emperor_Z wrote: »

Your points are... very very strange. I would have considered most of those things to be objective advantages. In what way do your feelings towards the console affect the quality of its version of Smash? How are all of the ways in which you can control Smash Wii U (Gamepad, Pro controller, Gamecube controller, etc) worse than using the 3DS controls? How can HD graphics be bad?

reminder that the wiiu version can use the 3ds as the controller

CD World Tour status:
        Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
      • Options
        EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
        Playing as B.JR is great for relieving stress. Plus he has the Koopalings as alts , I love the Koopalings.

• Options
        Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

Yeah actually I feel bad for characters like Ness, whose side smash is actually really interesting in that it involves dropping a bowling ball off the edge of a platform. You're a little screwed on tactics with Final Destination compared to Battlefield.

Villager has the bowling ball. Ness is the baseball bat.

I also do wish there was a battlefield version of every stage, because it'd make people pick non-little mac characters every once in a while. Battlefield is just a lot more fun in general than FD.

aeNqQM9.jpg
      • Options
        Alright, here's a spreadsheet I've made of all the equipment I've found.

Actually it's pretty interesting.

- Attack equipment doesn't affect your item weight for Smash Run at all, defense increases it anywhere from 0 to 2, and speed decreases it anywhere from -1 to -6. Generally speed equipment greatly reduces your item capacity, and rightly so when it comes to Smash Run.

- There's a lot of individualized attack equipment for each fighter, less so for defense, and speed items are shared among the most fighters. Lots of shoe and boot wearers. I like all the character-specific items. I find it amusing that Dr. Mario wears ties as a defense item (sharing them with DK).

- Negative powers can give you some incredible stat boosts with few negatives. Crash Lander gave me +80 and -19!

• Options
        Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
        edited October 2014
        The items thing is told in the hints before you start. Its based on character weight (which almost always is tied to natural speed). So when you get faster, you get lighter, and thus you can use less powers.

So obviously the items that affect speed affect the weight total for powers.

Also, @Bobkins Flymo I still plan to honor your request to play, just had a few complicated nights here. Kid with high fever last night and homework tonight. But I will get some games in, and hopefully with other people here too.

Kai_San on
      • Options
        MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
        How do I go about reporting someone who doesn't do anything in For Glory mode? This shit better not become commonplace like how it was in Brawl.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
      • Options
        edited October 2014
        Kai_San wrote: »
        The items thing is told in the hints before you start. Its based on character weight (which almost always is tied to natural speed). So when you get faster, you get lighter, and thus you can use less powers.

I was surprised at how little defense increases your weight and how much speed decreases it, comparatively. I guess it matters less than anything else because it's only relevant to Smash Run. None of it matters much because as was said earlier, it's going to be of limited utility when most common matches can't even make use of equipment, but I thought it would be interesting to record and see how the powers affect the stat point ratio.

UncleSporky on
      • Options
        WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
        MetaHybrid wrote: »
        How do I go about reporting someone who doesn't do anything in For Glory mode? This shit better not become commonplace like how it was in Brawl.
        Literally nothing, or almost nothing? Because I'm pretty sure there are situations where you lose your opponent partway through loading into the game and end up against a level 1 CPU or somesuch in their stead.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
      • Options
        MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
        Wyvern wrote: »
        MetaHybrid wrote: »
        Literally nothing, or almost nothing? Because I'm pretty sure there are situations where you lose your opponent partway through loading into the game and end up against a level 1 CPU or somesuch in their stead.

After the match this person was still there though, just waiting at the character select screen.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
      • Options
        bah, Sakurai seems to have forgotten that Dr. Mario's "cape", the first time, is supposed to help him recover, but now it only makes you sink. Makes it a bit tougher to recover now

• Options
        Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
        edited October 2014
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0E4mbngNuM

I love their idea at the end of this, where this could possibly be a similar mode to Smash Run for the Wii U version (but based on The Great Cave Offensive rather than City Ride, so it would work more like Subspace Emissary but without the story).

Warlock82 on
        Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
      • Options
        Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
        Kai_San wrote: »

I was surprised at how little defense increases your weight and how much speed decreases it, comparatively. I guess it matters less than anything else because it's only relevant to Smash Run. None of it matters much because as was said earlier, it's going to be of limited utility when most common matches can't even make use of equipment, but I thought it would be interesting to record and see how the powers affect the stat point ratio.

Defense doesn't increase your weight, the lowering of speed does.

• Options
        Well yeah, defensive equipment increases your weight, due to decreasing your speed.

• Options
        EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
        TelMarine wrote: »
        bah, Sakurai seems to have forgotten that Dr. Mario's "cape", the first time, is supposed to help him recover, but now it only makes you sink. Makes it a bit tougher to recover now

I think it was intentional. Mario can extend his recovery with the cape, whereas Doc can use the tornado.

• Options
        StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
        Big screens and actual analog sticks are reason enough that the WiiU version will be the definitive one. I can barely understand what's going on a match on a XL, let alone the original 3DS.
        And not worrying about ripping off the circle pad rubber will be a blessing.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
        camo_sig2.png
      This discussion has been closed.